Clooney and Cheadle at Darfur Conference

Clooney and Cheadle at Darfur Conference

George Clooney and Don Cheadle recently came back from a trip to Cairo where they lobbied for Egypt’s support to aid the victims of the genocide taking place in Sudan’s Darfur region.

The two actors were at hand at UN Headquarters on Friday, December 15, 2006 with Olympic speed skater Joey Cheek and Olympic marathon runner Tegla Loroupe answering questions from the press about the situation in Darfur.

See George Clooney’s video diaries from Darfur in April 2006 below.

Just Jared on Facebook
UN darfur clooney cheadle 12
UN darfur clooney cheadle 13
UN darfur clooney cheadle 14
UN darfur clooney cheadle 15
UN darfur clooney cheadle 16

Getty
  • Chester Bennington bought his family a new home just a month before his death - TMZ
  • Justin Bieber has cancelled his tour - Just Jared Jr
  • Charlize Theron has some feelings about the Bachelorette - TooFab
  • Fifth Harmony have announced their new album! - The Hollywood Reporter
  • Raven Symone is explaining why she got divorced on Raven's Home - Just Jared Jr
  • alero

Good for George and Don. Keep the light shining on Darfur. I thought the head of the UN had change already?

Bless all the victims in Darfur and all those tryig to end the genocide.

• N Y girl

FIRST…. Love me some Clooney!!!!!!

• Jackie

Alero..ITA

• bdj

Thanks for the videos and information regarding Save Darfur. I am glad to see actors such as George Clooney and Don Cheadle involved in this cause. Hopefully, there will be more international, US government, individual and UN support in ending this genocide.

• Jacinda

George Clooney is smart AND delish…

• QQQQ

Great work Don & George!!!!

• http://www.clooneystudio.com ClooneyStudio.com

Jared and anyone else with a site / blog / forum:

Please feel free to post video interviews of Clooney and Cheadle on CNN yesterday that I made and uploaded to YouTube. There’s an updated Darfur report. Here are the links:

And thank you Jared for posting this entry. :)

• anonymous

George Clooney truly deserves the title of Sexiest Man Alive–drop dead gorgeous AND compassionate.

Thanks JJ for helping to bring the plight of Darfur to viewers’ attention–it’s not all glitz and glamour.

• lula29

This is the reason I love and respect men like George Clooney, Don Cheadle, Brad PItt, Matt Damon, even Ben Affleck (he’s very politically active too). They don’t just allow their celebrity and wealth be the only good thing in their lives. They are actually out there working to make change in the world. They are like this new brat pack that fights for social justice. I love it.

• QQQQ

lula29 Says: December 16th, 2006 at 12:44 pm – Yeah, the Oceans Team (of course excluding Ben) but then his brother is a member, so he gets membership by association. They all get my respect!!!

• AddictedtoBAMZs

Because of them, so many people are signing on and getting involved, or at least informed. Normally I don’t look the other way, but because there are so many quasi-action groups that actually just want money, I haven’t hooked up. These guys, Don Cheadle, Brad and George Clooney(love his father!)give this mission credibility, so you feel if they are involved it is legitimate. I am now involved, thanks to them. Hope success will be the result. These poor, innocent people and children are suffering so much.

• michelle

I love George the king of hollywood

• Original jpf

There are an unprecidented amount of celeb’s utilizing their time, money and up close and personal presence on the scene of some of these atrocities, and I applaud them. People complain about them, criticize them, call the actions pr stunts, but it doesn’t matter, they’re there helping and the critics aren’t.

jpf

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DAMN BRAD & ANGELINA GET 20,000 COMMENTS FOR JUST STANDING STILL, BUT CLOONEY AND CHEADLE CANT GET 20 COMMENTS FOR HELPING AFRICAN’S?!?

• lc

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Says:

December 16th, 2006 at 3:51 pm
    ~~~
    You had the chance to post some profound and this is what you came up with.

• PAULNEWMANMYHERO

Heard about this last spring. I’m glad George hasn’t given up and is still working to drawing attention to the plight in Dafur.

• Cam

gotta love when men have not only the good looks but also a good heart and soul. now THAT is a true sexy man.

• anonymous

If you want to do something, just a little something, you can sign a petition urging President Bush and UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to take immediate steps to stop the killing in Darfur at:

More information on other ways to help can be found at the site. Peace.

• lula29

Cam,

They really are just too sexy. Every time I see these men doing such good I think these are the types of men I want to marry.

Thanks for the link Anonymous. My new year’s resolution is to become more socially active. I really do believe we have the power to make this world a great place and I want to be a part of that movement.

• anonymous

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 3:51 pm

(In response( Ilc Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 3:51 pm
    ~~~
    You had the chance to post some profound and this is what you came up with.

——–
    But it’s true, sadly. BAMZS fans here at JJ are the best and Brad and Angie deserve the 20,002 comments, but it does surprise me that not more support (on the part of their fans) is shown to their good friend Clooney whose cause no doubt Brad and Angie support.

• lula29

People are suckers for love stories but I’m sure people are checking this out too.

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

^^EXACTLY ^^

• anony

ouch,,, that kinda hurts to watch … just hate suffering. I wish I was rich!

• anon

Jared, you are a classy guy, you know that? Thanks so much for posting these clips about Darfur. The next time some politician starts complaining about Hollywood, they ought to check out these videos. I’m glad there are people like Clooney, Cheadle, Affleck, Angie & Brad, Leo, Jake, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Mark Rufalo, Michael Douglas, Matt Damon, Reese, Jennifer Garner, Bono, Elizabeth Taylor, Sharon Stone, Natalie Portman, Salma Hayek, and so many others, who, even if someone might disagree with some of the political opinions they embrace, at least use their celebrity to try to focus attention to make this a better world. Their activism encompasses the environment, AIDS Research & Prevention, education, world peace initiatives, and lots more, and I admire their commitment. They are in it for the long haul, they aren’t short term publicity hounds. I’d much rather read about this than about who went nightclubbing, who forgot to wear their underwear, and who the latest DUI bust was. Thanks Jared. You really rock!!!

• SMILEY

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON WITH THE ‘ONLY 20 COMMENTS HERE!!!!! This is ONLY A FRACTION

• SMILEY

OF CELEBS THAT REALLY DO STAND FOR SOMETHING BIGGER THAN THEMSELVES.

UNFORTUNATELY, Joe Public prefers to concentrate on LESS IMPORTANT

• SMILEY

CELEB ISSUES!!!

• just me

anonymous Says:

December 16th, 2006 at 7:04 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 3:51 pm

(In response( Ilc Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 3:51 pm
    ~~~
    You had the chance to post some profound and this is what you came up with.

——–

************************************

I don’t think the cause belongs to anyone to support. It’s a cause that everyone supports differently. It’s not George’s cause only nor is it just Angelina’s cause. Everyone helps in their own way. Celebrities hep with their money and the spotlight they shine on the situation and fans, donate or voice their suppor for those who have the power to help.

When a fan watches a brad or angelina movie, they know 1/3 of the income they have goes to charity.

Some support simply by rooting on celebrities like George. I do think it’s necessary to have more discussions about these topics rather than talk about how pretty people are. But in the end, this is a celebrity blog.

Topics like Darfur lead to political discusions and that can be uncomfortable for some people on blogs about celebrities. People are very sensitive when it comes political discussions. There have been times when people tried to talk about Darfur, and then people started accusing the UN and certain political figures. It’s hard for everyone to have a mature discussion without starting a fight over politics.

There are plenty of other political blogs where discussions about the plight of refugees and Darfur does take place. I visit many other sites througout the course of day and some are polictial blogs.

Just because people choose not to talk about it here, does not mean they are not supporting the issues and talking about it otherwise.

• Surabhi

# anony Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 8:11 pm

ouch,,, that kinda hurts to watch … just hate suffering. I wish I was rich!
    ———————————————————————-

I know what you mean I wish I just had money like a regular person so I could do something. But I also believe in Angels & positive energy. I think instead of suffering ourselves over this, if we can just keep our ‘love valves’ open somehow & hold these people in our visualizations & meditations as being protected & provided for as if it is happening already (& not that we aren’t already informed or have our heads in some la la cloud) then I really believe we can help to ‘manifest’ a more positive situation & not empower the negative by flowing our own intense downer vibrations to that area of the world….send intense love & pictures of abundance & protection instead. Of course this form of action, goes along with signing petititions & such….whatever we can do….even without money.

Love & Peace

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I Love Brad & Angelina.. Just had 2 use Them as an Example. I guess [Most] people dont like 2 Comment on More Important Issues..

• AddictedtoBAMZs

If any of my fellow BAMZS fans are reading here ( I know some of us already have) please leave a message of encouragement and appreciation for Don and George and George’s terrific father, to let them know we support them. We really should be able to do reach at least 100. We have the strength of numbers for sure, we represent the world, and we care! I would love George and Don to find Jared and see that we are following their mission…

• school is good

All respect to Cheadle.

But

come on George Clooney. What a joke isn’t he a philandering
    hollywood stud? P-l-a-y-b-o-y
    and now we are supposed to take him seriously?

Was Ricki Martin too busy to attend?

Yuck.

• school is good

ok I forgot to mention

AFRICA DESERVES BETTER
    THAN HOLYYWOOD SEX SYMBOL WANNABE.

• anonymous

just me Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 8:32 pm
    ——-

Your point is well taken about the nature of celebrity blogs–it’s not the place folks go to discuss politics or see suffering (or perhaps suffering of a different sort). But it is in his capacity as a celebrity that GC is trying to draw attention to Darfur; why cameras follow him.

In one of the video links above, in reply to a reporter’s query about his politics, GC says that he doesn’t want to get involved in politics, he only wants to help end the genocide through whatever diplomacy he can muster, and expression of anger at the situation even though it’s painful and uncomfortable.

I see no disconnect between talking about how beautiful certain stars are and talkng about social justice. For me at least part of their attraction and inspiration derives from their humanitarian work and compassion for others, and their willingness to jolt people out of their comfort zone.

• AddictedtoBAMZs

Anonymous, thanks for a truly thoughtful and intelligent point of view. It is so true that we tend to be surprised when entertainers step away from their public images and use their celebrity to help those in need. I don’t think George Clooney is doing this for reason other than absolute commitment. Why would he need to? He is as famous as anyone could be right here and now already.

• http://celebritysource.blogspot.com/ Courtney

Thats awesome, we need more celebs like George, Don, Brad, Angie, Bono…

• Sirene

Does it even matter who it is, th eidea is to reach us; to make us aware of how diyer and serious the situation is. The fact that Cloonie went to Sudan to do this, is proof enough for me that he cares; he wasn’t payed millions to do what he did, he volunteered. Though even if he did get paid, he still went to a country filled with risks, he didn’t have to, but he did. Thats good enough for me, and I appreciate the effort that was made, but I know deep down it’d futile, there i sno way in hell Bush will stop Iraq to help Darfur, he’ll give pocket change to that country; but he won’t help it, or stop it. He’s got his sights fix on Iraq, theres nothing that can change that now. Lets just hope that whoever takes his place has a heart and an inner voice for good and makes a difference in a good way. Lets also hope that by teh time that person comes about, that it isn’t too late, for both regions, africa and the gulf.

• ZOE

We support you George!

I hope that he gets into politics one day soon and become the president. He’ll make much better president than the one, you have guys right now.

• lylian

school is good Says:
    December 16th, 2006 at 10:57 pm
    ok I forgot to mention

AFRICA DESERVES BETTER
    THAN HOLYYWOOD SEX SYMBOL WANNABE.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I doubt if the widows, widowers, orphans who have lost their loved ones, their homes, their future and hope, care if George Clooney is a wannabe sex symbol. They are no doubt happy to know that someone cares for them enough to go to Darfur – a very dangerous place, and take the time to place the spot light on their desparate lives.

Instead of spouting off on George or Angelina, who have endured real risks to go the Darfur and see for themselves, the misery and destruction there and now spend time and money to speak out about the misery and destruction there, why don’t you write to you congress person, senator, or who ever is your leader to ask for action and protection.

• lylian

Just to make it easy for you guys, here is a copy of a letter from this site in Australia (I’m an Aussie) though your country probably has equivalent sites.

The Hon. Alexander Downer
    Minister for Foreign Affairs
    To: A.Downer.MP@aph.gov.au
    Cc: Kevin.Rudd.MP@aph.gov.au

Dear Minister,

I am writing to inform you of my deep concern regarding the horrific situation in Darfur. The continuing mass killing, rape and displacement of Darfuri people is a tragedy that must be stopped. I call on the government of Australia to assist in the protection of the innocent citizens of Darfur by;

Pledging funding support, technical assistance and/or troop contributions to current AMIS peacekeeping missions to ensure that when it is transferred to a UN force it is robust and able to effectively fulfil its mandate

Undertaking a commitment to accept and resettle a greater number of Darfuri refugees in Australia through the offshore resettlement program.

It is Australia’s responsibility to assist in bringing peace to a land which has been ravaged by cruel war for three years. It is crucial that the government of Australia act to show support for the people of Darfur.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I’ll try and post other sites from the US and UK. I’m sure they have a petition going.

• lylian

For USA citizens

Here is the suggested template letter to a US congressman:

Dear Representative/Senator ____________,
    As you may know, since February 2003, the Sudanese government has orchestrated a campaign of racial extermination against the ethnically-distinct black African population of Darfur. The Sudanese military and the Janjaweed militias it arms have killed as many as 400,000 black Darfurians. They have bombed and burned villages throughout the region, displacing almost 3.5 million people who now cling to life as homeless refugees. They have raped and assaulted countless women, including pregnant mothers who have subsequently lost their unborn babies. They have tortured and killed men, often in front of their families.
    The violence is far from over: thousands of people continue to die each month in Darfur.
    We, the undersigned members of your constituency, stand with the 80 percent of Americans who believe the U.S. should be doing more to end the genocide in Darfur. We stand with the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., who said that, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” And we stand with President George W. Bush, who declared in his Second Inaugural Address that, “All who live in tyranny and hopelessness can know: the United States will not ignore your oppression, or excuse your oppressors. When you stand for your liberty, we will stand with you.”
    Our top priority is protecting the lives of innocent civilians. Darfurians are religious leaders, community leaders, businesspeople, laborers, teachers, and students—just like those of us who have signed this letter and others like it all across America this summer. We urge you to take decisive action to ensure their safety, health and freedom by:
    1. Approving adequate funding for Darfur in the Fiscal Year 2007 funding process.
    2. Passing the strongest possible version of the Darfur Peace and Accountability Act
    3. Retaining the Clinton Amendment (amendment 4361) within the Defense Authorization bill (S. 2766).
    As you can see, there are concrete actions you can take to help protect civilians from murder, rape and displacement. We encourage you to take them.
    Sincerely,
    _____________________________
    Printed Name: _____________________________
    Organization: _____________________________ (optional)
    Address: _____________________________
    _____________________________
    Phone/e-mail: _____________________________ (optional)

• lylian

For UK residents:

This site has quite a lot of information on how to write to your local MP

• Jill

Sirene and all the bush haters, Have you even HEARD what George and Don have said?
    The President of the US can’t really do anything to change the situation in Darfur. The US does not have trades with them. So they cannot hold sanctions.

That is why Clooney and Cheadle went to the UN, To ask for the support of UN countries that DO have trade agreements.

And the reason Clooney went was because he is a big star. HE HIMSELF said that where he goes, cameras follow.

He said that the cameras will follow big name stars to places like Darfur. But they will not follow politicians to the same places.

• god

It is a human nature to gravitate toward, to fancy one’s self in the company of beauty, fame & wealth… It is discerning yes… but not surprising that this page has received little to nothing posts comparatively. It is a challenge for many to selectively choose to confront political, social-economic issues pertaining to the plights of human suffering, egregiousness & frailties… But if one chooses not to confront then one fails to act… Power to those who dare, who are audacious to use their wealth, fame, beauty or whatever means to bring a little hope, a warm ray of light in places facing darkness. Individually, we can choose to be an agent of change. The courage, the power belongs to those who dare to act beginning with a singular step. Whether you are a movie star or just a regular jane/joe, the capacity to give, to do good deeds is immense and boundless… Choose compassion without a cause and choose to be a citizen without a border…

• lula29

Thanks god,

You always seem to lead us the right way.

It is a challenge to confront these issues. It’s hard to know what to do. it’s easy to look at celebs and fawn over them, but harder to really face what’s going on in the world. Thing about these celebs is they are refusing to allow us to do that. If we watch them, then we must be concerned about the world too.

I’m going to start my own personal letter writing campaign via Amnesty International and the Save Darfur website that was posted. I think that’s a good step. Thanks for posting it lylian.

• god

Thanks lula29 for a nice sarcasm & laugh in writing “you always seem to lead the right way” NO i don’t… only You know “to lead the right way”…
    good post from you & what you’re gonna do is admirable… if we can inspire each other to do something good, to be a better person then why not choose… Thank you & take care…

• AddictedtoBAMZs

Fantastic post, lylian. Now where are our other BAMZS fans? I would love one and all to read your thoughts and be inspired to speak for these victims.

• Sirene

Jill,

Just because we aren’t involved with Darfur when it comes to trade ( US doesnt do anything unless it has somthing to gain?(…oil perhaps? maybe thats why Bush gives a damn about the Iraqi people so much…. hmmmm i wonder) doesn’t mean we turn a blind eye to such suffering.

I for one care about them, about any child raped, or killed no matter where they are, it is a crime to humanity to turn our eyes away, we would be as guity as the men who raped those little ones and displaced all those people. There is nothing more pure than a child’s smile and innocence and when I sit and watch what goes on in this world today, and how people have this “its not our problem, or, america should stop getting involved ” attitude , I ask myself, is this a world I want to bring a child into, is this the kind of example I should be setting? I’ll protect my child but not help protect the child of my neighbor when they yell and cry for help? When someone does this its automatic to call 911 when someone is screaming for help, it’s the same in this case.

To do nothing when there is a hand reaching out for help, is unthinkable. I can never live with myself like that, my child is worth just as much as my neighbors. If I could reach out and save a life, pull them up on to their feet and bring happiness and, keep a childs eyes sparkling and have them smile in their tiny innocence than I am a human being, I’ve done what is honorable. What sort of human being would I be if I measured the worth of life, one life is worth and is more important than the other? There is no such thing, here we have a chance to prove to the world that we care without needing something in return and people hesitate to get involved!

But thats not true is it? Our government wont do anything unless it gets somthing in return, Darfur has nothing to offer, therefore nothing will be done, poket change will be given and a few tents here and there with some first aid medical equipment, but nothing more. Our government is too busy fighting, and displacing other peoples and neglecting their own people, we have no time for real humanitarian work. Heaven forbid, we the middle class people should give a damn, we’ve got our own problems right? So what if another kid dies or people become displaced , raped and humilated, who cares?Iit’s not our fault, let the british handle it.

When I die and I’m asked by god why I didn’t help my brothers and sisters of humanity in need in ANY way, what should my answer be? …ummmm…. I was in dept….uuuuhhhh I had bills to pay? I was too busy trying to find my significant other, I had my own problems ….? ….heh…. using your voice and signing a paper costs you nothing, and you lose nothing. Those of you who can afford to do more, then do it! Those of you who can’t but want to, do what you can. But don’t just sit there and say it isnt our countries concern, we are the country, not Bush, WE are, and we care about the world our children will one day live in and work in and bring their children into, our grandchildren.

What we do, defines how the world preseves us. We have alot to prove to the world now because of Iraq, we have an oportunaty to show the world that we aren’t just a nation that wages profit based wars, and is comprised of stupid people that don’t care or understand other cultures, But that we are a nation of mixed culutres and that we know what is going on and we do have voices and we are using them, and that we do have the power and we are using it, to help those many displaced people. We’ve got nothing to lose here, this is a chance to redeem ourselves.

• Original Curious

Lylian, Thank you for those posts. I will be sending a letter to my Senator (and others) right now.

• anon

Posting links to agencies and ppl who can do something is wonderful and very helpful. I really appreciate it very much.
    If we do nothing more than saying a prayer or offering our good thoughts to those who are suffering, then it’s all good. To write a letter, donate money, stay informed, is even better. To get others to join in is just super. No matter what our position in life is, we CAN do something. And BTW: The U.S. and other countries, can do more as well, both directly and indirectly.