Angelina Jolie Reaches Sainthood

Angelina Jolie Reaches Sainthood

What would Angelina Jolie and her children — Maddox, Zahara, and Shiloh — look like depicted as saints, virgins, and cherubs? Kate worked out her own depiction of them on an 88′ x 60″ oil & acrylic on linen in a painting called “Blessed Art Thou.” Here’s how she describes the painting:

This painting addresses the celebrity worship cycle. The title, “Blessed Art Thou”, is taken from a line in the Catholic prayer “Hail Mary”: “…blessed art thou among women”. Our culture is deifying celebrities, but in the bible, it is the meek who are blessed, so the title presents a question for the viewer to ponder.

I chose a setting where the cycle begins: psychologically oppressive environments like this one are the source for the consumer, hungry for “information” about the celebrity. I am interested in the psychological ramifications of celebrity worship, particularly as they relate to class.

Angelina Jolie was chosen as the subject because of her unavoidable presence in the media, the world-wide anticipation of her child, her “unattainable” beauty and the good that she is doing in the world through her example, which adds another layer to the complicated questions about her “deification”.

The “Virgin” and Zahara figures are loosely based on a Van Dyck Virgin painting, and the Maddox figure’s pose is borrowed from a Raphael painting.

The artwork will be on display at the Chelsea Galleria booth at the Art Miami Fair at the Miami Beach Convention Center, January 5-8th. Kate will be at the fair Friday & Saturday.

Click on the thumbnails below for more detail. Wal-Mart is depicted as… hell.

Just Jared on Facebook
angelina jolie saint 01
angelina jolie saint 02

Getty
  • Justin Bieber ditches his shirt at the gym - TMZ
  • Elton John is NOT retiring - Gossip Cop
  • Yara Shahidi started a fun new project - Just Jared Jr
  • Selena Gomez wears pajamas and heels while shopping- Radar
  • Milo Ventimiglia opens up about working with Will Smith - Lainey Gossip
  • Moana hits big at the box offices for the second weekend - The Hollywood Reporter

1st?

• krdn

2nd

• Raine

3rd….

• ANUSTIN

wer is wallmart?

ANUSTIN Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 8:31 am
    wer is wallmart?

are you not from the US?? It’s the BdidGGdddeSdtd chain store here. and Cheap

• meesh!

What’s wrong w/me Biggest chain store

• Anom

I wish Brad and Angie would sue those people who keep using them and their children image to sell stuff. I mean Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are actors, but do these people need to use the kids like that.

• Missouri Fan

Keep voting…….. THE SEXY IS BACK!!!

GOT TO GO . BYE!

Thanks ANUSTIN & Once in a while!! Ladies I count on YOU LOVE YOU ALL

MF is finally leaving..

• Grace

Thanks for the new thread. Just voted….Angie is number one!!!

• briseis

I voted for that Hello Magazine Most Attractive Female, but how come no Brad or GC at the Most Attractive Male? Sheesh, I love Sean Bean and all (I swooned over his Odysseus in Troy) but most attractive male? I mean, who nominates the candidates for these polls?

where’s Brad :lol:

• briseis

Anom Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 8:46 am
    ———————————————————————————————
    I have to agree. Brad and Angie chose their careers, but Madd, Zee and Shi are children (minors) so their image should not be included in every harebrained scheme people think of (like Madame Tussaud’s wax image of Shiloh, now this painting). I wonder if they can legally be stopped.

• ANUSTIN

meesh am from montreal!

• http://justjared.com My take

Lovely!! Will travel to Miami to see the painting.

• julia

Oh my!! I can’t believe this. You’ve got to be kidding JJ. You need to get a life!Please she is so far from a saint. Why do you guys have her on this crazy pedastil.

• LOVE

Julia…are you illiterate??? Is not JJs painting…take your complaints to the creator and bug off!

I know angelina jolie is 100x better than YOU!

• blogelina

I love it except for the Wal Mart part. Wal mart is HELL. I shop there of course but only because, thanks to them, there is no place else to shop. I can remember a time when there were shopping choices. When everything wasn’t some cheap piece of lookalike WalMart stuff. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Back to the picture, it doesn’t matter to me what it is suppose to mean because the picture is lovely. If I had enough talent I would paint it on my outbuilding instead of the uninspired crap that I did paint. Shiloh doesn’t have any angel wings but she should! Zahara looks especially cute with her little round face and pigtails.

• krdn

moi j’habite à paris =I live in paris!!!

• http://asd marin

———————————————————————————————
    I tatally agree!!!! I`m sometimes warried!!!!!

ANUSTIN Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 8:57 am
    meesh am from montreal!

I am from Rhode Island USA I can’t believe walmart isn’t up there, they are in every city somtimes 2, then they drive little stores out of business

briseis Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 8:57 am

they can’t do anything or else the wax museum would be out of business by now. remember they have one of Shiloh?

• ANUSTIN

TO JULIA!!kill yourself!and why are you here?trust me,BRAD will canonized her!

have you seen this? about Jolie w/french song by a poster here from tunisia

• dragonfly

Good Morning Ya’ll!

This painting is really bad taste. Really Bad. But hey, at least it isn’t a depiction of her giving birth on a bear skin rug…..so it could be worse.

Also, WM *is* hell. I do have to agree with this artist on that. I haven’t shopped in a WM in over 5 years and don’t intend to ever give them another penny of my money.

• ANUSTIN

krdn wer in paris?was in paris for 7 years….11 rue de l’abbe gregoire paris 6.near bon marche.

• meesh!

all right, you french speaking people can you tell me what some of the words say on that video? sounds pretty has belle in it!

• Me Too

To Missouri Fan, thanks for keeping up the momentum! I was sick when I initially saw the voting and now all is right with the world. I will keep voting too. If this wasn’t one of the more revered tabs in UK I wouldn’t care, but since Feline First is sharing the same media pond this one should be the balance!!!

• briseis

julia Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 8:58 am
    ———————————————————————————————-
    Julia:

Maybe before you have your fingers typing on your keyboard you should first know how to read and comprehend. This is NOT JJ’s painting, he is not putting her on a pedastil (sheesh, it should be pedestal, Julia!) AND HE SAID SO HIMSELF ON THE CAPTION. We BAMZSers are the last people to call her a saint, but we can’t help it if other people, like this artist, use their artistic license and deify her.

• abigail

I feel kinda weird about the painting. I guess everyone got a different outlook on art. Maybe the artist just want to start some sensation about her work. Hey,but if I have a million bucks & if the artist will sell them for charity…I WILL BUY THEM. Just for the Jolie-Pitt.

• julia

Did you guys see this?

The desertsun of Palm Springs is anouncing that Brad and Cate will attend theFilm Festival Awards Gala on Jan 6.
    They are honorees with the rest of the Babel cast for a new Ensemble Performance Award.

just a few days away.. I wonder if Angelina will be there?

Thanks Jared for the new thread.

oh and and I see I have an evil namesake above, lol.. Not a very bright one either.

• Amaya

dragonfly,

ITA, that Britney sculpture is wrong in so many ways.

Speaking of Walmart, I used to have two guyfriends that wanted to live underneath the one that was in our town lol They had this elaborate plan that was really hilarious. Like the lighting would be a series of those “tap” lights and they were all controlled by one big/master tap light. Our walmart was next to a Burger King. So their plan was to have an underground tunnel that went from walmart directly to BK where they would steal food and leave the cups and wrappers in Walmart to frame BK workers lol They would spend their days stealing and destroying xboxs or other expensive things and leave them in most random sections of the store like the auto department. Also a selection floor tiles would be loosened so they make quick exits and personally, I was just reminded of the “Whack a Mole” game where the heads pop :lol:

• once in a while

meesh! Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 9:12 am
    have you seen this? about Jolie w/french song by a poster here from tunisia

————————————————————
    TAFTOUFA! Says:

January 2nd, 2007 at 11:20 pm
    meesh!and i also let you a msg on youtube
    ————————————————————

I like video of the BAMZS with French song.
    this is a good one – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiA6XR1TwB8

Taftoufat ou les autres BAMZS fan, pourriez vous faire un peu plus de video avec des chansons francais?

• piper, with a low

I understand the message the painter is sending, but the painting is still cringeworthy. Like the Shiloh wax figure, this seems to be a violation against innocent children. Assuming that this painting won’t meet with a tragic end, ie a fire or theft, I’m sure Maddox, Zahara, and Shiloh will ask their parents what did they do to invite this inappropriate attention.

I agree that this is more BAMZS exploitation and JMO, Walmart as Hell seems like an afterthought.

• Julia is Schizo

Wal-Mart owns Sam’s Club right? They’ve taken over from the mom and pop stores of yester-years.

• Sweet Swede

This painting is so far beyond tacky and vulgar that it’s scary.

Me Too Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 9:23 am

I call them Fuglys First

• Marjorie

This is one ridiculous picture. This artist did not leave out the two adopted ones ,like the Mme Tussaud stuff but dissed them anyway by painting them nude.Shiloh is covered , Angelina too. I really feel bad Zahara and Maddox. And BP is left out ,i wonder why.

• meesh!

Maybe the artist is representing that the US public are the kind of people that while diefying movie stars and shop in hellish Wal-mart, like he’s making fun of us.

• Francesca

What is that? It is a very disturbing picture.

• http://jj Ameena

meesh! Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 9:22 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tthis is a copy of the lyrics for Belle.

Artist: Garou lyrics
    Song: Belle lyrics

C`est un mot qu`on dirait inventй pour elle
    Quand elle danse et qu`elle met son corps а jour
    Tel un oiseau qui йtend ses ailes pour s`envoler
    Alors je sens l`enfer s`ouvrir sous mes pieds

J`ai pose mes yeux sous sa robe de gitane
    A quoi me sert encore de prier Notre-Dame
    Quel est celui qui lui jettera la premiиre pierre
    Celui-lа ne mйrite pas d`etre sur terre

Ф Lucifer !
    Laisse-moi rien qu`une fois
    Glisser mes doigts dans les cheveux d`Esmeralda

Belle
    Est-ce le diable qui s`est incarnй en elle
    Pour dйtourner mes yeux du Dieu йternel
    Qui a mis dans mon кtre ce dйsir charnel
    Pour m`empкcher de regarder vers le Ciel

Elle porte en elle le pйchй originel
    La dйsirer fait-il de moi un criminel
    Celle qu`on prenait pour une fille de joie une fille de rien
    Semble soudain porter la croix du genre humain

Ф Notre-Dame !
    Laisse-moi rien qu`une fois
    Pousser la porte du jardin d`Esmeralda

Belle
    Malgrй ses grands yeux noirs qui vous ensorcellent
    La demoiselle serait-elle encore pucelle
    Quand ses mouvements me font voir monts et merveilles
    Sous son jupon aux couleurs de l`arc-en-ciel

Ma dulcinйe laissez-moi vous кtre infidиle
    Avant de vous avoir menйe jusqu`а l`autel
    Quel est l`homme qui dйtournerait son regard d`elle
    Sous peine d`кtre changй en statue de sel

Ф Fleur-de-Lys !
    Je ne suis pas homme de foi
    J`irai cueillir la fleur d`amour d`Esmeralda

J`ai posй mes yeux sous sa robe de gitane
    А quoi me sert encore de prier Notre-Dame
    Quel est celui qui lui jettera la premiиre pierre
    Celui-lа ne mйrite pas d`кtre sur terre

O Lucifer !
    Oh ! laisse moi rien qu`une fois
    Glisser mes doigts dans les cheveux d`Esmeralda

Esmeralda

• Missouri girl

I don’t know what to say or think about this………???? So I won’t say anything but…………………Hi Ya’ll……………

• Missouri girl

Anyone notice the tabloid magazines on the right, in hell (walmart pic)?.So Angelina is in heaven and Walmart is depicted as hell….Maybe we are in hell now. This discussion board might get weird.

Ameena Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 9:53 am

thank you so for your time, but I don’t speak French :(

• ugh

I’m disturbed by this painting and how many people are going to use Angelina and Brad’s fame for their own purpose. ENOUGH ALREADY!

And stop using the kids in the painting. Jared, I wish I had remained ignorant to the fact that this painting was made. I wish you hadn’t chosen to put this up. I’m talking out of frustration, sorry.l

It’s sick how many people ride Brad and Angie’s coattails. If I were them, I’d be sending legal notices and putting an end to this. Brad and Angie must have a great ability to be patient because even this angers me.

• Sandy

I think Angie doesn’t need all of this!!!!!

from other thread
    Ameena Says:

January 3rd, 2007 at 9:18 am
    I just voted for Angie, come on guys keep voting.

vote where???????????

• gay.com

Favorite quote:
    Brad Pitt, “Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able.” — 44%

• http://jj Ameena

Meesh, you are welcome, I would not be able to translate it into English for you at this time. Anyway, the song will lose its meaning in translation. It is such a beautiful song. It will not translate the same in English.

• NJ