Bono's NAACP 2007 Speech

Bono's NAACP 2007 Speech

Bono received repeated standing ovations as he talked about the need to eradicate poverty in the world during his acceptance speech at the NAACP Awards last night. Tyra Banks awards Bono the the Chairman’s Award.

“Today the world looks again to the NAACP,” said Bono. “We need the community that taught world about civil rights to teach it about human rights.”

UPDATE :: Video added of Bono‘s speech at the NAACP Awards 2007.

(Images via Getty)

bono naacp awards 2007 14
bono naacp awards 2007 15

Posted to: Bono, NAACP 2007, Speech, Video

Ethan Miller/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All
[Fug Face Maniston] @ 03/03/2007 at 11:09 am

I have the highest amount of respect for this man.
I remember being a kid and mom dukes blasting U2.

thanks jared. the speech should be heard.

OMG Thanks for the pics !!! Yes, as you said Fug Face Maniston Bono is a true man He is for me an exemple. respect, generosity, natural !!! IS MY ONE !!!! MAKE BONO PRESIDENT !!!!

Thanks Just Jared. It was a great speech. Bono is doing great work in Africa in trying to eradicate Aids, poverty and debt and has inspired others such as Chris Tucker to help. Bono could be a Southern Minister with his fiery tone

he PREACHED that day lol GO BONO!!!

i have always liked this man, before he even released Joshua Tree.. He too, is very inspiring and genuinely cares about poverty.. He is like Angelina Jolie Walks the walk!! One Love!!

I was shocked by those pictures. My gosh Bono sure looks old and ugly since he shaved off all his hair. What a shame he used to be such a hottie. I hope he grows his hair back and gets plastic surgery.

But good for him winning the award.

more power to him!

Bono knows nothing about America or race relations really, he is just using it as a platform for self promotion.

actually bono knows a great deal about world relations. he’s spent lots of time with presidents and various american leaders discussing many things. but perhaps you’ve met bono and found out first hand what he doesn’t know.

it AMAZESSSSSS me that the people who are really trying to make a difference in the world, get hammered. does he haircut really matter when he’s trying to save people’s lives?

he’s dedicated years and money to a cause. how many people throwing stones can say they’ve done as much?

tanique, I couldn’t agree more with you! When celebrities use their fame for good – without mind you trying to advance their political ideology – they are labled self-promoters. I don’t get it, I just don’t get it. Here is a man who because of his MORAL IDEOLOGY has done more in recent years than ANYONE to galvanize not only this celebrity obsessed culture to focus on poverty and global AIDS, he has also galvanized multi-national businesses and global politicians. One might feel that how he goes about this is trivial, I would disagree, but to attack his motives is wrong.

I watched him last night and my respect for him grew. He and Angelina are just wonderful. Luv them both.

Queen Bee @ 03/03/2007 at 1:40 pm

The next prize this man should win is the Nobel Prize. He is just so cued in to what is going on in this world and is really making a difference! He just doesn’t donate, he actually galvanizes everyone from the ONE campaign to the Red campaign.

Rock on Bono!

Cocobuttr @ 03/03/2007 at 1:59 pm

This man just transcends all boundaries!

BonoOneFan @ 03/03/2007 at 2:17 pm

Now, that’s whatcha call ‘A good white man.’
:-)

Boy, he wasn’t kidding when he said he was influenced by black preachers, because he sure preached that acceptance speech like a black preacher indeed.

Go on, Bono !! Keep educating the masses to the world’s problems that would eventually end up affecting us all.

As a foreigner, it’s too bad he can’t run for president of the U.S. because for my vote, he sure would give Hil, Barak and all them a run for their money.

– BonoOneFan

“RACE RELATIONS” not “WORLD RELATIONS”. Bono doesn’t live in America or understand the NAACP (which itself is a racist organization, by the dictionary definition, I mean should there not be an Asian, White and Hispanic version?). They should get him off stage before he gets drunk and starts doing Martin Luther King impersonations, which is what he really really wants to do most of all.

Bono gave me goose bumps and chills and made me cry with love. This is what the world needs. People who inspire with their being. Love, understanding, humility, open-heartedness, compassion. I don’t understand why everyone isn’t feeling this. It feels much better than anger. Anger makes everyone sick. No matter how much one suffers, you don’t have to be bitter. It takes awareness and gratitude, devotion and faith. The whole world is suffering. Everyone has pain. Sometimes it is crushing. I pray for more connection from the heart, person to person. We can do it in our own lives with the people we touch and it will spread like a ripple in water when we throw a stone into the deep. Be the conscious one in every situation. Bring people up with Love. People may not want your Love, but give it anyway. It benefits all beings. Love is Truth. Love is God. God is Love. Many blessings to everyone’s ravaged heart. Hold the Light!

tanique33 @ 03/03/2007 at 4:19 pm

2much, thanks so much for the history lesson. i feel so informed now. damn, i guess everything i know about lots of countries in the world, mean nothing now, seeing as though i live in the us.

all that studying for nothing.

and DAMN that NAACP, for trying to help people of color. you should know as you go on about how racist the organization is, two white people started it. but perhaps they were racist against their own??

Whatever if Bono wants to do real good, he should start an orphanage or school like Oprah did in South Africa. Just making public appearances and traveling isn’t enough.

Put your money where your mouth is..the millions you made from mediocre music, cds and touring.

Show me the money Bono!!!!!

campy_dude @ 03/03/2007 at 4:29 pm

You need to shut the f***k up 2much!!!.
The NAACP has been in existence for years begining with when colored people were pretty much second class citizens in their own country. They have fought to ensure like their name suggests, the continued advancement of people of color and are as relevant today as GLAAD or any other organisation that strives for the equality of its members.

NAACP is by defintion racist. He is speaking against racism while at the same time promoting it. This is hypocritical. Equality is the issue, not advancement of one race in lieu of another. Notice I did not use expletives or aggression like an inverse slave driver.

tanique33 @ 03/03/2007 at 5:11 pm

i’m not quite getting how advancement has to be about being the better race. but ok. whatever it means to you. i know my history, and what the NAACP stands for and has stood for. i guess the 2 people that started it wanted black people to better than their own. right. i’m out of this debate. believe what you will.

advancement |ədˈvansmənt|

noun the process of promoting a cause or plan

• the promotion of a person in rank or status

• development or improvement

[Fug Face Maniston] @ 03/03/2007 at 5:27 pm

milo Says:

March 3rd, 2007 at 4:28 pm – flag comment

Show me the money Bono!!!!!

_________

What the Fcuk are you talking [typing] about, you are truly a fcuking idiot. Bono has donated millions of dollars… He has giving away more money than you or any of your offspring will ever make. Bono has done more work than you obviously will ever know. You speak about orphanages and Oprah, Oprah and people like herself look up to him.

And to call his music mediocre says so much about you and your taste.

((((((((((((((Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))))))

My brothers and sisters in Christ will know what I mean when I shout Glory!

tanique33, campy_dude, and [FFM] — Thank you for responding already. I will only add “The devil is a LIAR!”

Maybe he should run for President haha, He’d make the right changes for America and impact on the world. Though I’m not sure if he’s a citizen of Ireland still though.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All