Alec Apologizes for Attacking Daughter

Alec Apologizes for Attacking Daughter

Alec Baldwin just posted this message on his website alecbaldwin.com in response to the angry voicemail he left his 11-year-old daughter Ireland:

“Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation.

Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter. In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person.

Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child.

I’m sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.)

I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case. Once my book is published, I’m sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I’m sorry to anyone who’s taken offense from this episode.”

Photos: Getty/Frederick M. Brown
Posted to: Alec Baldwin, Celebrity Babies, Ireland Baldwin, Kim Basinger

ABC

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » Show All

I feel for Alec Baldwin. Unless you live the life of a manipulative ex and kid, you cannot viably have an opinion! I can attest being a stepmother and seeing the games played by the custodial parent as well as seeing a manipulating ‘brat’ get away with ruining lives and playing head games – you lose it when you have no control or say-so because a child is caught in the middle of two parents fighting and given too much power. I have firsthanded witnessed parental alienation and it can drive a person to extremes. My first husband was a crackhead and died in a homicide – At times, I would rather live that life again than live life as a stepmom – helpless with my feelings knowing how a child should be raised and how the child should respect the parent – whether divorced or fatherless. And I have four children who are successful and good people – I know how to raise children! You obey all the rules and then are told to call specific times, come over to pick the child up at certain times and they ‘forgot to tell you they had other plans’ etc. Another example: if you don’t kiss custodial parent’s hind parts just right – it is hell to pay. The kid won’t return calls for weeks, the kid will refuse to see you added with custodial parent won’t return calls and they both play games. They don’t share report cards, medical information, whether the child is in town or not, not even Summer camp information when my husband paid for the camp! Everyone ends up upset including innocent family members in the new family because ‘poor bud’ learned games from mommy and doesn’t want to talk to daddy. Oh and the money thing… what a joke! Hubby has never paid child support late – pays the entire medical insurance bill and 2/3rds of ALL medical bills, pays more child support than he is legally obligated to because biological mommy doesn’t work, pays half of the kids car insurance, entire cell phone bill, half of all school costs, etc….. Yet bio mom drives a $50k sportscar, has a maid and gardener, travels, etc. because her hubby #3 has money and they get the tax deduction when my husband pays 100% of the brats support. Top this – we even gets bills from the Witch for .99 cotton swabs! Thus, I cannot wait until the brat turns 18 (next year) – let’s see just how wonderful he is as an adult with all the nasty things and lack of respect he shows my husband and our family. My prayer is for my stepson to meet a girl like his mom who intentionally gets pregnant for 18 years of monthly checks. Perhaps my stepson and his witch mother will finally know how it feels all the hell they have put my husband me our family through!

please think @ 04/20/2007 at 10:51 pm

First of all, what if Ireland leaked the tape? What if she gave it to a friend who gave it to a parent who leaked it to the media? We don’t know who leaked the tape. Just because Alec is accusing Kim, that means zilch.

Some of you are maintaining that this is not bad? Getting angry at your kids is normal behavior. Yes, they can make you crazy, but it’s his words you guys. You’re missing the point. He called her a pig. It’s his choice of that words that is the most disturbing, that and the fact that he basically calls her stupid.

I’m sorry if any of you talk to your children that way and if you’ve been talked to that way. You think it’s normal, but it’s not. Acknowledge the dysfunction okay? If you don’t see it, you can’t change it. Raising children is not a piece of cake, but the anger should not get so bad to where you are totally disrespecting them as he has done. If Alec does not respect Ireland, why does he expect her to respect him? There is no way in hell that she can.

BrangelinaFan CCornel @ 04/20/2007 at 10:56 pm

Sounds to me like Angelina Jolie and Jon Voight Redux !!

And they wonder why Angie still hasn’t forgiven her father. It’s because he’s made her feel as bad as Ireland probably feels now for most of her life.

Alec just better hope that he doesn’t end up like pitiful Jon Voight . . . sad, alone, and lonely without a chance anymore of having a normal relationship with his child or her offspring.

You would think Alec would have looked to the Jolie/Voight dysfunctional situation first as an example to avoid.

Good luck Alec and Ireland.

– Brangelina Fan

please think @ 04/20/2007 at 11:00 pm

Above, there are many people who share your experience. I feel sad for you, but at the same time, you signed onto that. Nobody put a gun to your head. Honestly, I feel that when a man has children, I want to love those children as if they are my own. If I cannot, no marriage. When children are being raised, their welfare comes before you.

what the hell! Did anyone see what he said? “Once my book gets published, and so on. Sounds like a set up. (last paragraph)

Alec is an *****! I see to many stories about his egotistical ways and they
ALL aren’t lies. When that plane with the baseball player crashed into that apartment building a little bit ago in New York, they weren’t letting anyone in the buildings around that. Well Mr. Baldwin thought that somehow he was god’s chosen one and pulled one of those don’t-you-know-who-I-am ETs(ego trips) and demanded that he be let through because he lived in a nearby building. If I was the cop “sure buddy, go on through, and while your at it, stand right under that burning building with the plane sticking out and make sure some of that falling debris falls right on your beautiful
better-tha-everyone-else’s face. Please, he needs to be sitting in a gutter with people pissing all over him.

KRUNGKRUNG @ 04/20/2007 at 11:31 pm

ohmigod, since how long is this custody battle going to last? it’s been 4ever 4godsakes, why can’t kim n alec compromise? i can understand a lil bit of alec’s tirade, he maybe trying to call his daughter over the phone n the daughter maybe is ignoring his calls n that’s what makes him very mad, i would too, maybe kim is brainwashing her daughter about her father, who knows?

I don’t know if this has been said before and it probably has but in my opinion if he really feels this way about his daughter, why is he fighting so hard for custody?

KRUNGKRUNG @ 04/20/2007 at 11:44 pm

i don’t think Alec is a bad father n vice versa, when he won the golden globes he even acknowledged his daughter, i am not a parent so it’s hard 4 me to judge Alec n Kim let alone going through a custody battle, must be very hard to endure with, good luck to them

My heart goes out to this man. I feel so bad for everyone involved. Ireland’s parents need their a$$e$ kicked. Both of them. For those of you who have children, which I know a lot of you teeny-boppers don’t, you should kind of understand his actions. I know I get angry with my children and I yell at them. I don’t condone what he said (the name calling and all that), however, people with children have said things to them that they’ve regretted later. It just so happens that he’s a famous actor, and someone decided to put him on front street.

Kim and Alec should be civilized adults and understand that nothing is more important than their children and come to some kind of agreement. I really hate it when the parents use their children when things are crappy between them. They should at least be cordial when it comes to the kids, man. IMO, the whole thing is a very sad situation. It’s heartbreaking really.

Give me a break people. You don’t have to have a spoiled child if you’ve never lost your temper. That’s just assinine to say!

A parent may lose their temper or even yell, but you don’t yell pig and obsenities at a child. If you do and excuse it as JUST losing your temper. You need parenting classes yourself. He’s threatening and yelling obsence, vile things. It doesn’t matter if she’s rich or spoiled. You don’t teach better behaviour with bad behaviour.

Chances are she doesn’t want to be around him and who could blame her. I’m sure this wasn’t the first time talking to her like this. And if he’s frustrated, he has no business taking it out on her.

Both parents may be in the wrong, but using and/or abusing a child is wrong. Period! She is still in elemtary school for Gods sake. This is not a case of just losing your temper, it’s waaaay beyond that.

As a parent, I know that there are times that we lose patience with our children. Parents are also human. It is not an excuse but a fact that people should consider before we stone this man to death. It’s sad enough that this parent lost patience with his child and said some mean things but it’s even sadder to know that someone released this to the media to embarassed the father and end up humiliating the child in public.

proud mama @ 04/21/2007 at 3:49 am

I agree wholeheartedly with you shar (#28). Because this has been such a nasty, public divorce and custody battle, I can’t help but wonder what sweet, innocent, little Kim is doing in all of this. Just because she hasn’t ever had her conversations with her daughter aired for the world to judge, doesn’t mean she doesn’t have them. And even if she has never spoken to her daughter in that way (and I’m not saying it’s a good way to talk) she is still one half of the couple who has forced this girl to deal with adult issues way too young and robbed her of the happy childhood that every kid should have the chance at. “Booooo” to the both of you.

proud mama @ 04/21/2007 at 3:51 am

p.s. How do we know he hasn’t already apologized to his daughter, that is if he is allowed to talk to her? We don’t! So he may very well have already.

that loser doesnt deserve my attention ever again.

There is no excuse whatsoever for the manner with which Alec Baldwin talked to his daughter. No excuse! And since it was brought up on Showbiz Tonight that this was not an isolated incident then that makes it even more deplorable. Since Alec Baldwin has a history of violent outbursts I’m not surprised that Kim Basinger (if it’s true) leaked this tape to the media. If this is the kind of behavior that she was subjected to during her marriage then I’m glad it became public. No wife or child should be subjected to that kind of tirade. Now I know why their custody battle has become so ugly and drawn out. I can understand why she would fight to keep her ex-husband away fron her child if he behaved in that manner. It’s like a husband who batters a wife and then apologizes for his action. It doesn’t stop the violence.

I don’t understand how anyone can think the public knowing about that voice mail helps anyone. These people constantly complain about the press, yet, uses them to promote thier selfishness and to curry favor with the public.

If she released this tape , It must have been a last resort for her. Whether it was a wrong decision or not. Im not blaming her.I don’t think anyone believed her when she told about his abuse and rages. Mothers would do just about anything to protect their children.

She released the tape for revenge, like she has done since the beginning of the custody battle. Kim is no lioness protecting her cub, she is a vindictive woman who uses her child has a tool to exact revenge on her ex. She is not the first woman to do it and won’t be the last, but because she “once” was a celeb she uses the media to try and one-upsmanship her ex. This is pathetic.

remember da truth @ 04/21/2007 at 10:27 am

Please. I agree with Shar and the other parents who don’t spend their time in front of Oprah believing that all children are innocent victims and one should never raise your voice to your child, blah blah blah.

Sure what he did was wrong, and obviously, if it was bad, releasing it so everyone hears it and knows it is also bad and possibly worse. Ireland has it rough with two bad parents.
But a reality check IS in order here. Ireland is not scarred for life by this, trust me. She knew exactly what she was doing, and needed to be told how her actions have consequences, and that she is responsible for hurting someone else. She didn’t need to be told with such language, but obviously she is a rude, spoiled brat made that way by her selfish mother who has no doubt told her that it’s okay to treat Alec badly.

Alec’s fault is that he used language he shouldn’t have. But once again, if you are a parent, and if you have been parent or step-parent to kids of divorce who are sharp and know how to play one parent off the other, losing your temper with your child and yelling at them DOES happen. This is not a unique situation. Everyone acting so self-righteous is exactly how these kids can manipulate situations and know that all the pop psychology pundits out there will talk about feelings and the poor child and they are laughing all the time at how they got away with their bad behavior.

I agree with Amara……Whether Alec was being alienated from his daughter or not he should not have said the things he said. He’s only going to cause more turmoil between he and his daughter in the end. It’s really sad that some grown ups can’t get themselves together for their children’s sake. It would be one thing if he was abusive but if he treats her with love and cares for her then the other parent should back off. It seems to me if the daughter is ignoring his calls it’s probably because of all the negative things she hears from her mother and then her father’s temper backs up the claims. If Kim cared at all about her daughter’s well being then she would try to say more positive things about Alec, so her daughter knows that no matter what is going on between Mom and Dad, she and her father are not a part of the feud.

And when I said I agree with Amara……I’ve taken care of children who’s parents are going through a bad divorce and I can see their faces when one parent is blabbing to another parent about the ex. they are hurt and ashamed. I feel really bad. So I don’t think this is a case where it was good to be spread to the public. There will be enough people in court to decide and hear his words.

I can’t believe some of you females are falling right into Baldwin’s hands. Now you are calling Ireland a brat? Give me a break!

My best friend was in a similar situation. Her father was abusive to her mom, but when they split, her father ran my friend like a drill sarge. A controlling man is a controlling man. They don’t change just because of a divorce. He would make her “jump,” giving her a list of orders. He was trying to do to her what he did to her mother. It caused her so much pain and anger. He would give her gifts and then expect her to do everything he told her to do when he told her to do it. She was very angry toward him.

My guess is that Ireland is a regular little girl who is just tired of her father’s demands. Also, she’s coming to that age where kids start separating from their parents and getting closer to friends. I can picture Kim saying, ‘Honey, I know exactly what you are going through because he did the same things to me.’ If this child is doing this over and over again (ignoring his calls), she is rebelling against his control. She is deliberately defying him.

If Alec Baldwin’s little girl is not anticipating talking to her father, it’s his fault. His whole interest in that child is because he has a link to his ex-wife Kim Basinger. I think he’s a poor father and the child has seen it with her own eyes. This little girl is an only child with two wealthy adult parents. There is no sibling rivalry to deal with. She should feel special, have the best manners and be adored like their little princess.

58 Adam Says:

April 20th, 2007 at 11:36 pm – flag comment

Because abusers never want to release their grip and control. Alec hasn’t married again because in his mind, Kim Basinger will always be his wife.

I wish Kim would fall madly in love and get married again. Alec would be beside himself with anger.

I think If Kim did release it,.. it was the last resort to get a quick favorable ruling in a case that has Balwin shoving his fist and kicking down everything and intimidating others to get his way. This was an Unreasonable man saying ME ME ME! How I feel what I want, you will obey me or I will crush you and harm your mother too!.. Who knows maybe Ireland said.. “Please show them.. show everyone how horribly he treats you and me in private mom.” Does anyone know how wonderful a father Ryan O’Neal is?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » Show All