Brad Pitt @ Cannes Film Festival 2007

Brad Pitt @ Cannes Film Festival 2007

Brad Pitt (in Tom Ford) attends the photo call for A Mighty Heart at the Cannes Film Festival on Monday morning.

Brad played producer on this film and said at the press conference, “Everyone involved of course felt a great responsibility. We are very happy that the film maintained some dignity of Mariane and Daniel [Pearl] themselves.”

Pitt added, “As a father, too, I look at my kids and realize they will inherit this world. And we want to do everything we can to throw our weight in and make it a little bit better.”

25+ pictures inside of Brad Pitt at Cannes…

06 brad pitt cannes film festival
brad pitt cannes film festival 23
brad pitt cannes film festival 24
brad pitt cannes film festival 25
brad pitt cannes film festival 26
brad pitt cannes film festival 27
brad pitt cannes film festival 28

Photos: Pascal Le Segretain / Peter Kramer / Sean Gallup / Getty, AP/Francois Mori
Posted to: Brad Pitt

WENN
  • Lance Armstrong plays golf now after his doping scandal- US Weekly
  • Jay Z and Roc Nation are being sued by a sound engineer- TMZ
  • Watch a trailer for Sharknado 2- Gossip Cop
  • Listen to Rixton's cover of Ariana Grande's hit song 'Problem'- Just Jared Jr
  • Courtney Love will be bringing her acting chops to Sons of Anarchy- Entertainment Weekly
  • Columbus Short opens up about his Scandal exit- Huffington Post
  • Read a career prospectus on James Marsden- Lainey Gossip
  • Brazil's loss to Germany in FIFA World Cup blows up Twitter- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Elisabetta Canalis shows off her bikini body in Italy- Hollywood Tuna

I love him and I love him even more with Angelina. DAMN can he get any hotter?

i love u !!!!!!

Wow, I knew it would be a good week for us, and you are really doing your best to make it so, Jared. Thanks so much!

Love love love the way Brad looks! Oh my!!!

Mrs. Lenny @ 05/21/2007 at 8:51 am

~YOU GOOoooo!!!MR. PITT.

Thanks Jared~

peace~

THANKS JARED!!! You are the best when it comes to Brad and Angie!!

Your the best JJ!!!! Love Brad Hubba! Hubba! :)

OMG! Its an AVALANCHE! Thank-you Jared!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like thats so totally c-r-a-z-y!!!!

Dang my man is looking hot, hot, HOT!!!

thanks JJ, you absolutely know how to make a BAMPZS fan’s day. you provide only the best. Many thanks. i’m having the best day ever with all these pics of Angie and Brad LOVE them FOREVER!

this is too much, i don’t know which thread to stick to!!
think i’ll take a nap and when i come back hopefully there will be links to some video :)

this one also hoooooooot

hehe……..cool!

see what fatherhood can do! he looks very handsome! love you Braaaaaaaadddd!!!

missouri girl @ 05/21/2007 at 9:06 am

his face looks puffy and he looks tired. I do not like his nose, it bugs me. I hope shiloh didnt get hid nose

WOO so many threads! I don’t normally go for oder guys but Brad certainly has something. He is almost 20 years older than me but he is still so hot. This couple have so much going for them. Love them and the whole family!

missouri girl @ 05/21/2007 at 9:11 am

LOL……..16
jess Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 9:07 am – flag comment

Hotta hottta!!!!Brad looks younger,looking fine fine!!!and Angelina looks great and love her smile!!! ahhhhh what a love can do……I can’t stop staring at their pictures!!!Thanks JARED!!!

Brad looks hotten and younger than ever. must be Angie’s love make him so happy. He is the hotest. He doesn’t look like 44 years old man. He looks like 20 something. He is god.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:15 am

Thanks Jared. He really looks so hot.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:16 am

Jess – thanks for the reminder. Continuing my civic duty, here goes the AMH review. :)
___________________

FoxNews review

Jolie Film About Daniel Pearl Filmmaking of Highest Order

“A Mighty Heart,” Angelina Jolie’s film about the kidnapping and murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, had its first screening Monday morning at the Cannes Film Festival.

Simply put, the Michael Winterbottom film is an exceptional piece of work, deeply affecting and filmmaking of the highest order.

In purely Hollywood terms, the film is a certain Oscar nominee. Everyone involved in “A Mighty Heart” – from Winterbottom to Jolie as Pearl’s widow, Mariane, to Dan Futterman as Daniel Pearl – can be proud of a job very well done.

Based on the book by Mariane Pearl, the film follows the pregnant Mariane as searches for her husband following his disappearance in Karachi, Pakistan, in 2002. At the time, Daniel Pearl was writing a story about shoe bomber Richard Reid.

Winterbottom’s cinema verité-style only adds to the immediacy of the Pearl tragedy. This director has done a remarkable job.

creativegirl @ 05/21/2007 at 9:16 am

Oh gosh he looks amazing – love the new haircut.

JARED THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! No one else has all the BAMPZS news the minute it happens, you’re the only place I see with all these photos!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU – Keep em coming!

Okay, now he’s showing off! :))) He looks great!

Brad has a new hair, i think he looks young,, bbl going back to Angelina threads

JJ you put the funnest picture on the front of the thread. Brad fixing up his pants. Can’t stop laughing. OK I’m a bit weird. haha

creativegirl @ 05/21/2007 at 9:19 am

An open letter to Ms. Angelina Jolie,

Please help this man procreate once again, look at him – he needs to make many babies to carry on his hotness for future generations to come.

Thank you.

Angie and shiloh Says:

love love love

***************************
lol, some of those ppl’s comment are too funny “total sex face for angie after the kiss” roflmao

piper, with a low @ 05/21/2007 at 9:21 am

Why do I want to take that man’s in-seam?

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:22 am

He really looks soooo good. :)

Mr and Mrs Smith Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 9:16 am – flag comment
___________________

FoxNews review

Jolie Film About Daniel Pearl Filmmaking of Highest Order

*****

he should be voted as the sexiest man alive for the third time

irritating poser rock star glam boy ponce

creativegirl Says:

An open letter to Ms. Angelina Jolie,

***************************************************************

This is soooooo funny.

Why is everyone making me laugh!

So happy to see all the great photos and comments

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:28 am

There is something about Brad and Angie today. Maybe it’s because of the genuine smiles and laughs and them looking relaxed. I don’t know, there is just something that’s making them extra HOT today. Maybe it’s just me. Hmm :)

Brad's vocab @ 05/21/2007 at 9:29 am

“heya babe” “lookin’ gooood” “heya pal” “nice goin”” “lookin’ good” “just watchin’ the show” “how’s it goin’”

I think they just look super hot every time they get a night out with each other. They know they will get plenty of action later. hehehe

Mariane Pearl told the press at the conf that she personally asked Angelina to play her in the movie because she trusted her.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:33 am

#
creativegirl Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 9:19 am – flag comment

An open letter to Ms. Angelina Jolie,

Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________

:lol:

Mrs Pearl said she had asked Jolie to play the part because “she trusted her and I thought she understood me”.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:34 am

#
jess Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 9:32 am – flag comment

______________________________________________

I like the sound of that. :lol:

To : Mr and Mrs Smith

Yes, from lastnight after dinner party when the kids alreadty in bed, they had eachother, thatswhy they are so glowing and fresh, LOL bbl going back to Angelina threads

I went to x17 to see what they had and what’s there a video of aniston and arquette at a paparrazi friendly restaurant with them coming out pretending they don’t want to be photographed and aniston covering her face she’s even trying to drive with a book covering her face. I guess you guys were right she times her little paparazzi outing just right when all the attention is on brad and angie.

Leoling Says:

*************************************************************

Leoling, you know everything.

Thanks for that. It’s really nice.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:37 am

Jolie tells of Pearl ‘friendship’ :)
By Stephen Robb
BBC News entertainment reporter in Cannes

Angelina Jolie and Mariane Pearl have spoken in Cannes about the friendship that brought them together on A Mighty Heart, about the 2002 murder of Mrs Pearl’s husband.

“I was very, very nervous to get it right, but worked very, very hard to try,” said Jolie.

The film, directed by Britain’s Michael Winterbottom, has its premiere later.

US journalist Daniel Pearl was kidnapped in Pakistan in 2002 while investigating a story on radical Muslim groups for the Wall Street Journal.

A video CD was later delivered to the US authorities showing him being murdered.

‘Great responsibility’

A Mighty Heart is based on the book written by Mrs Pearl, and is screening out of competition at the 60th Cannes Film Festival.

“We all said through the whole thing, ‘If it doesn’t fall together right, we drop it – it’s too important,’” said Jolie.

She added: “I did finally speak to her [Mrs Pearl] days after she saw it, and she told me it was all right.

“For her to tell me that she felt it was done right, I can’t tell you how much that means to me.”

Brad Pitt, Jolie’s partner and producer of the film, said: “Everyone involved of course felt a great responsibility.

“We are very happy that the film maintained some dignity of Mariane and Daniel themselves.”

*************
Tell us more!

Our world is coming to an end. @ 05/21/2007 at 9:41 am

Now this is my definition of COOL and ClASSY.

France loves them I ams sure.

Can’t wait to see the movies!

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:42 am

#
hanna Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 9:34 am – flag comment

To : Mr and Mrs Smith

_______________________________________

You guys are nuts. :lol:

I can’t get over how young Brad looks. He looks so good. If that is what 4 kids do to you he should have 4 more because he looks amazing.

Where’s Skeletor the *****?

This is the “wow factor”, the “it” that seperates them from other stars. Really, this is what the very top of the A-list looks like. They look amazing, simply beautiful and very happy. I find it great that they live their everyday lives in regular clothes, doing regular things and just being a family. But when it is time to go to wrok “WOW” nobody does it better.

sharon Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 9:25 am – flag comment
he should be voted as the sexiest man alive for the third time
____________________________________________________
i totally agree!! :)

Yeah Jared!! :) U are the best for us BAMPZS fans :)

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:50 am

Here are some pictures of the press conference. :)

I believe Angie love makes him look so young, happy, sexy and hot. They should get married.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 9:55 am

Here is a bigger pic of Brad and Angie walking and laughing. :)

He is supper HOT!

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 10:00 am

Oh heavens! Jared, I love you man but you have to give us a chance to breath. I’m exhusted from thread hopping. You know what, don’t listen to me….if exhustion is the price, I’m ready to pay it. You know my motto….anything for Bampzs.

Thanks you.

there is no words can describle how hot he looks. I am speechless.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie showed their love – and their new movie – to the world’s media Monday as they stepped out arm-in-arm at the Cannes Film Festival.

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 10:04 am

MAMS…that;s it, you officially the Bampzs article and quotes keeper…keeping person…..whatever. ;)

Thanks for the articles.

While we bask in happiness for our favourite and gorgeous couple.

Please do not forget to vote for Brad. We are loosing our 5k lead we had yesterday.

Ohmigod. He is gorgeous! An absolute Adonis and she is a Goddess! I love them together! And their gorgeous kids!

To each his own, obviously. I see nothing attractive or “hot” about Pitt at all! But he and Jolie sure do have self-promotion down pat.

#42
love that comment…sex make them smile more…
Mr and Mrs Smith…thanks for the link.. love that picture of them.
I just love this family….I have a big smile on my face right now….Happy Monday everyone.

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 10:13 am

Thanks Voice for the Link to people….

Jolie and Pitt in Cannes

Photo by: George Pimentel / WireImage

The couple attended a press conference to discuss A Mighty Heart – in which she stars and he produces, through his Plan B production company.

Jolie admitted she had trepidations about taking on the project and the role of Mariane Pearl, whose husband, Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, 38, was killed by Islamic militants in Pakistan in February 2002. (Actor and Oscar-winning Capote screenwriter Dan Futterman plays Daniel.) “I was very, very nervous to get it right,” said Jolie.

And the outcome? “Mariane seems to think we’ve done all right.”

Pitt, 43, and Jolie, 31, are staying at the exclusive Hotel du Cap, in a villa with their four children: Maddox, 5; Zahara, 2; Pax, 3; and Shiloh, who turns 1 this coming Sunday.

“We got here yesterday, and we had a beautiful day with our kids,” said Jolie, who flew in from the Czech Republic, where she is filming the movie Wanted, with Morgan Freeman. “We’ve been playing with them since the moment we landed, and we plan to go home to them as soon as we are done with this.”

As for her five-star hotel in France’s Cap d’Antibes. “It’s also a beautiful place, and we have an opportunity to enjoy it with our family and enjoy it as friends,” said Jolie.

Pitt said he was captivated by the Pearl story from the moment he started following it on CNN. “It was our goal to see this thing through,” said Pitt. “And to fight hatred.”

Jolie said that despite the serious nature of the film, which tracks Daniel’s kidnapping and his wife’s desperation to save him, she reamins able to smile in her downtime. “I am still capable of being silly and have fun,” she said.

At one point, Pitt humorously referred to his partner as “what’s-her-name” (when the press conference’s mediator unexpectedly asked him to comment on a question previously directed to Jolie). He also stressed his and her aim of working together to help improve the planet.

“As a father, too, I look at my kids and realize they will inherit this world,” said Pitt. “And we want to do everything we can to throw our weight in and make it a little bit better.

After the news gathering, PEOPLE asked Pitt how he was finding Cannes. “I’m enjoying it very much, man,” he replied.

********
I love the WEs and OURs peppered all through the article. It’s not “The Children”, it’s “OUR children”, it’s not “The Family” It’s “OUR Family”…love, love, love.

BP saying “What’-her-name”…Funny.

#64 AR,

Good for you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I didn’t see the attraction until receintly either. The more his personality comes out the hotter he becomes. Maybe you should find out a little more about the guy. He’ll win you over.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 10:15 am

Yes, lainey’s account is coming up in a few minutes. Here is what she has to say for now.

______

Finally. Finally I have seen them in person – who else but Brad and Angelina? I’ve been fortunate enough to be witness to many a crazy celebrity situation but nothing compared to the buzz today created around these two. Trust.

Many of you enjoy detail…full blow by blow below but suffice to say, given that I was just watching them with my smutty wonky eye – there was no recent break up and there will be no break up at least in the near future. For personal and professional reasons, these two are totally together.

In the second photo, look at Brad strut. He’s saying to himself,”I am the ****”. That is one PRETTY MOFO and he knows it. That’s why he downplays his looks and dresses so casual sloppy sometimes. Hey Brad, if you got it, FLAUNT IT. A lot of folks say she is so skinny. If you had BRAD PITT as your lover, you’d be thin too. (HOT WILD SEX). She is still beautiful.

THIS COUPLE IS IRRESISTIBLE.

Not looking too good MR. Pitt. Give me more of that delicious Johnny Depp.

Beeloved Says
***
I will vote for Brad every 15 minutes now.

As Angelina said, she doesn’t want her partner to pretend somebody else but himself. I think Brad could find his way back to his inner self through Angelina. He doesn’t need to pretend to be a glamourous celebrity. He becomes “beautiful”, when he discovers and develops his inner beauty.
They’re both very beautiful inside and outside. Wish them alot of happiness and love.

They are so present in the public mind, it is good that they take leading roles of ethical issues. It’s very motivating for oneself.

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 10:22 am

Yikes….sorry for the double post.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 10:22 am

#
African Girl Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 10:18 am – flag comment

Thanks Voice for the Link to people..
Jolie and Pitt in Cannes

********

BP saying “What’-her-name”…Funny.
_______________________________________________________________________

I have always loved how they talk like that. They are just so in love with each other and their children :)

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 10:25 am

Here’s Lainey.
_________________

A Mighty Heart

They were here today for A Mighty Heart – the screening took place at 10:45am following by a photo call and then a press conference at 1pm.

About the film – very well received, with some comparing Michael Winterbottom’s direction to Michael Mann’s: tightly shot with a journalist’s eye, almost like a reality show without the fake. One of the actor’s at one point during the question period actually said Winterbottom would have followed them into the loo if they were still in character.

Those who were hoping it will suck will be very disappointed. A Might Heart does not suck. Not even close. In fact, it made me cry… because you can’t imagine the strength of this woman – what she went through, how she fought, how in spite of the murder of her husband while pregnant with his child, somehow she manages to continue to believe in humanity.

And even though this post is primarily about smut, I’d be remiss to undercredit the remarkable Mariane Pearl. She is incredibly impressive. Which is why there has been much criticism levelled at the casting: that Angelina and Mariane look nothing alike, that they are from different ethic backgrounds, that in hiring Angelina to play the role, it effectively robbed other actresses with more similar physical characteristics the opportunity.

On film, the resemblance is adequate. You still KNOW it’s Angelina Jolie but it’s not a stretch of the imagination either. More importantly, her acting and her accent do the part justice. She is different in this movie than she has been in others. You know most of the time, when Angelina Jolie delivers a line, because of the nature of her films like Tomb Raider and Mr and Mrs Smith, the delivery is always tinged with a little action hero cheese – like Bruce Willis without a *****?

Well in A Mighty Heart, her speech patterns are different, she’s less of a caricature than she is a character, and she shows more range than she ever has before, and that could explain why they are seriously considering an Oscar run. I’m not sure if I’d go that far but never underestimate the Paramount hype machine. The lips however…the lips are way to distracting. Not in person but definitely on film. Is it possible to make them smaller?

Sorry, I digress.

Back to publicity and marketing and what is looking like a brilliant subtle piece of master media manipulation that only Brad Pitt can pull off.

Mariane Pearl was front and centre during the press conference. The first questions were directed at her. And so in her charming, multilingual way, she addressed questions about her involvement and about how she wanted to tell her story. One of the first things she did therefore was to stress that she herself was the one to pick Angelina Jolie for the part. She approached her, she asked her, and she says she is thrilled with the result. Now is not a celebrity, she is a private person, so she did not give in to that voyeuristic need for all of us to see her emote on a stage when questions about her memories came up. Needless to say, seeing a film chronicling the kidnapping and subsequent death of her husband must have been unimaginably painful. And yet she stayed away from the melodrama and focused instead on the message: she wanted to do justice to Danny’s life and she was grateful for Angelina’s respect of her wishes – she actually went so far as to say something to the effect of “it meant even more because Angelina is someone that I love”. Of course at that point, Angelina almost cried.

And so you can hear that subtle but powerful underlying message, right? Mariane Pearl, who is beyond reproach, has given her stamp of approval to Angelina Jolie. So whose place is it to argue her judgement?

Brad Pitt is a media genius, see?

And still…it would unfair to end on that note. Because Mariane Pearl is amazing. She has this way of speaking, of holding herself, of treating the most haunting subject matter with such poise and such peace, it’s hard not to feel comfortable in her presence. Mariane Pearl is all class. And regardless of your feelings about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, her life story is absolutely, 100% worth sharing.

More Brad and Angie details coming…

Read lainey now @ 05/21/2007 at 10:26 am

wow ladies you have to read lainey\’s account.

Thanks Jared, again and again. Like the rest, I am totally obsessed with Brad, Angie and kids.

A PERFECT STORM.
That’s what MATT DAMON called this couple.

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 10:31 am

Slightly OT.

This is what Johnny Depp said about having his first child.

“(She) was not only the greatest thing that’s ever happened – it’s the only thing that’s ever happened to me. I helped give our daughter life and I feel she gave me life. Suddenly, you meet your reason to live, meet the future. It was like my birth in a way. I was born that day

Some people have made comparisons betwen AJ and JD and I’m begining to see it, this sounds like what AJ said about Maddox.

I’m getting tired to skip the thread. I’m very happy to see them.

Beautiful Angelina and Brad.

Had to laugh at Jess finding Brad hot too, even though he’s nearly 20 years older. I remeber when I thought 40 was old and now I’m past it and I still don’t think I’m old. Luckily, 50 is the new 30.

LOL

Thank you jared for all your hard work.

piper, with a low Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 9:21 am – flag comment
Why do I want to take that man’s in-seam?

________________________

heheheheheheh

BTW, the press looked pandemonic (is there such a word??).

I’m gonna so enjoy this week.

this Wednesday, Anne Curry is going to interview both Brad and Angie on Today show and Dateline. I cannot wait. Thursday Ocean’s 13 premier at Cannes. This Sunday is Shiloh’s birthday. What a week for Brad and Angie.

thank you thank you j@r3d!!

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 10:46 am

Mr and Mrs Smith Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 10:25 am – flag comment

Thanks MAMS. Reading that article, you see why it’s not far fetched that AJ and MP are friends. These are two STRONG WOMEN who don’t play victims, I mean if anyone deserved to throw herself a pity party, it’s MP instead of going on all the talk shows, whining about how she was done wrong, instead of giving interviews every two months to keep the world updated on how she’s “coping”, she drew strength from the ordeal, turned this painful even into something positive. I really do admire these two women

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 10:56 am

This is from variety.
___________________________

A Mighty Heart
By JUSTIN CHANG

A Paramount Vantage release (in U.S.) and presentation of a Plan B Entertainment/Revolution Films production. Produced by Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Andrew Eaton. Co-producer, Anita Overland. Directed by Michael Winterbottom. Screenplay, John Orloff, based on the book “A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl” by Mariane Pearl.

Mariane Pearl – Angelina Jolie
Danny Pearl – Dan Futterman
Captain – Irrfan Khan
John Bussey – Denis O’Hare
Asra – Archie Panjabi
Randall Bennett – Will Patton
Steve LeVine – Gary Wilmes

The sad saga of slain Wall Street Journal reporter Danny Pearl has made it to the bigscreen with facts, figures and beating heart intact in “A Mighty Heart.” In his first studio venture, Michael Winterbottom coaxes forth a staggering wealth of detail from this terse, methodical account of Pearl’s kidnapping and murder in Pakistan, seen through the eyes of those who sought his return. Given audiences’ resistance to films dealing with 9/11 and its aftermath, soberly restrained pic reps a mighty tough sell, though Angelina Jolie’s performance as Pearl’s widow should broaden prospects for the June 22 Stateside release.

Adapting Mariane Pearl’s harrowing memoir, director Winterbottom, who previously ventured into Mideast politics with “In This World” and “The Road to Guantanamo,” proves to be just the man for the task. Though the prolific British chameleon isn’t one to make the same film twice, his gifts for docudrama storytelling –

an ability to shepherd complicated narratives, avoiding every opportunity for sensationalism in favor of a low-key mounting dread — couldn’t be better suited to the material.

Having covered the U.S. bombing of Afghanistan following the Sept. 11 attacks, the Pearls were working as journalists in Karachi, Pakistan, on Jan. 23, 2002 — the day Danny (“Capote” scribe Dan Futterman), chasing a story about foiled shoe bomber Richard Reid, got into a cab and never returned. Sticking close to the very pregnant Mariane (Jolie), pic recounts the restless five-week search for the man’s whereabouts and his kidnappers’ identities, all accompanied by a hailstorm of media attention.

Screenwriter John Orloff (“Band of Brothers”) crisply diagrams the labyrinth of false leads and fruitless interrogations with various middlemen Danny may have had contact with on the night of his disappearance. Suspicion ultimately comes to rest on the elusive Omar Saeed Sheikh (Alyy Khan), a known Islamic militant with a history of kidnapping foreigners.

Like his fellow suspects, Sheikh is seen only briefly, and in the most objective possible light. Working in the brisk, discursive style of a police procedural, Winterbottom and Orloff scrupulously follow the rescue effort, step by agonizing step — ensuring that the audience is never given additional information despite its foreknowledge of the tragic outcome. Even larger political questions — the implications, say, of a scene in which a Pakistani suspect is strung up and interrogated, or the grim irony of a journalist couple facing intense media scrutiny — are subjugated to the flow of the storytelling.

Along the way, writer and helmer also manage to sketch vivid portraits of Mariane’s key supporters and allies. These include Danny’s tough-minded colleague, Asra Nomani (Archie Panjabi); a local cop (Irffhan Khan), known simply as Captain, determined not to let the case soil Pakistan’s reputation; American diplomatic security agent Randall Bennett (Will Patton), who tends to see the silver lining in all bad news; and Wall Street Journal higher-up John Bussey (Denis O’Hare), who arrives in Pakistan after news of the ordeal, a comforting but resilient figure.

But this is ultimately — and very intimately — Mariane Pearl’s story, and much of it rests on Jolie, who fits comfortably into the naturalistic mold that shapes the entire ensemble. Though Jolie sports a big belly, a high-coiffed hairstyle and a very challenging accent (raised in France, Mariane is of Afro-Cuban and Dutch descent), this isn’t the sort of commanding star turn in which the performer vanishes behind a well-known celebrity mask, but rather a subdued, carefully considered portrait of a woman caught between premature grief and persistent hope.

Jolie plays Mariane as sharp and prickly, but also highly principled and completely devoted to her husband. Wisely, Winterbottom opts to shoot her more high-pitched outbursts from a distance or in near-darkness, as if refusing to milk more histrionics than necessary.

Occasional subdued flashbacks to happier days from Mariane and Danny’s marriage, including a very brief love scene, add emotional texture even as they take something away from the film’s otherwise unsentimental approach.

Pic negotiates its way around another potential landmine — to show or not to show the widely circulated video of Pearl’s murder — re-creating a very brief, non-graphic snippet of the contentious footage and getting the facts across with the utmost restraint.

Shot on location in Pakistan, India and France, the film gains considerable authenticity and momentum from its handheld DV lensing by Winterbottom’s regular d.p., Marcel Zyskind, and Peter Christelis’ rapid editing, rarely allowing a shot to last more than a few seconds.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 10:59 am

#
African Girl Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 10:46 am – flag comment

Mr and Mrs Smith Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 10:25 am – flag comment

_____________________________________________________________

I totally agree with your post and yes, these are great women to admire.

from Lainey @ 05/21/2007 at 11:02 am

The Frenzy

This morning’s screening was for press only. And so the building was full of journalists, all of them congregating for a glimpse of the Brangelina phenomenon. The queue began early – there were reporters in line to get into the press room almost 3 hours ahead of time. So as the hour approached for their arrival, a frenetic energy started to build. Some of them even took out their digital cameras for personal photos which is weird considering in their profession, they see celebrities all the time. At the end of the session, half of them even crowded the dais to get autographs. Journalists seeking autographs – can you imagine!?!

But then again, these two pack a different punch. I remember at the Toronto International Film Festival, at the gala premiere of Babel, the hysteria coming from the crowd was almost dangerous. Like at any moment there was going to be surge. And at one point, when Brad was on the carpet and the fans were screaming, it did feel like the gates were going to yield resulting in pandemonium.

Today was a more controlled environment. Super tight security and it wasn’t open to the public. But even with the press corps, supposedly civilised on these occasions, there was a throbbing underneath – like peace on a precipice, with the cliff about to give away on a moment’s notice.

And there they were – in a holding room just before entering the conference, surrounded by her handlers.

I saw him first. He was taller than remembered and totally relaxed, in that easy way he holds his body, rockin’ a killer suit. Seriously, if Brad and Becks had a suit-off, I don’t know if I could pick a clear winner.

Brad looked well-rested and tanned and … hot. Even Dylan has mentioned it – macho Dylan who doesn’t make it a point of looking at a man that way has said “now that is a good looking guy.”

A couple minutes later, Angelina appeared. The first time I saw her she was laughing in his direction and immediately walked over to join him. They stood next to each other, she touched his arm in the same way I might touch my husband’s arm: familiar, affectionate, private. Two female journalists from the UK standing next to me started swooning.

So then they walked out for a brief photo opp before heading into the Q&A, Angelina before Brad. She waved, she smiled, she didn’t break stride, and she headed in in good spirits. I have to tell you, I was shocked. Because you always see her so sullen and then all of a sudden she’s all happy and cheerful and you’re not sure what to do with that, you know?

So is she skinny? Yes she is skinny. Very skinny. Especially her legs. Her legs are extremely thin. But does she ever glow. Seriously not much makeup, they were panning in tight on her during the conference, you could see every pore, and I’m telling you – she is crazy gorgessity. Didn’t like the hair but the bone structure is madness…especially those lips. And believe me, it didn’t go unnoticed. During the press conference, even when someone else was answering a question, the camera dudes wouldn’t come off of her – like they needed a nudge to remember what they were doing.

She was wearing a black skirt with a brown silk shirt – boring. And of course she had to throw in the kids thing. She and Mariane went on for a bit about Maddox and Adam, about bonding over motherhood. Eye roll. Through it all though she smiled a lot. More than you’d expect given all the photographs of her pursing her lips. Even later on when I was spying on them leaving the Palais, she was relaxed and spirited when some gushy lady came up to her and started yammering, actually gushing back a little and throwing her head back.

And then of course there’s the chemistry… details coming.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 11:03 am

Lainey again :)
__________________________

The Frenzy

And then of course there’s the chemistry… details coming.

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 11:04 am

ilovethisfamily Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 10:48 am – flag comment

the reviews are coming in!

*******
And they are GOOD. Thanks for the link, keep ‘em coming.

Don’t you think Brad resembles Robert Redford when he was younger?
I think he is gorgeous. Don’t like Angeina that much though.

Thanks JJ.

I have to give it to lainey today for all the full details reviews she\’s giving today. Can\’t wait for part 3

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 11:09 am

Oops, looks like someone posted Lainey’s article before me. Oh well, the more, the merrier. :)

Now, for those who think Angie wasn’t looking happy, read Lainey’s post (since she was there and witnessed the whole thing). :lol:

i wish somebody can post some video so we can feel the frenzy.

What is up with those lady glasses and the flashy ring and gold cuffs? He looks like he robbed Tom Cruise’s wardrobe from Rain Man that suit is not doing anything for him. He is starting to look like Robert Redford for sure … he could use a tweeze for that unibrow. Cool hair tho ..

#
twokids2 Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 11:06 am – flag comment

Don’t you think Brad resembles Robert Redford when he was younger?
I think he is gorgeous. Don’t like Angeina that much though.

+++++++++=
He looks like redford but not the younger version.

autumn wild @ 05/21/2007 at 11:13 am

I am positively swooning with all these! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

He looks like any other average thin guy on the street, he’s no BIG DEAL.

re: Cynthia Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 11:14 am – flag comment
He looks like any other average thin guy on the street, he’s no BIG DEAL.
————————————————
are you blind? he is the most beautiful man

autumn wild @ 05/21/2007 at 11:22 am

Premiere’s Glenn Kenny recognizes that the greatest challenge Michael Winterbottom faces with A Mighty Heart (screening Out of Competition; site) is to get the audience watching the story of Mariane Pearl rather than watching Angelina Jolie – and he goes into some detail as to how Winterbottom’s pulled it off. In short, “Jolie and [co-producer Brad] Pitt were very smart to get a director who doesn’t do star turns to do Jolie’s star turn. I dare say she’s got at least an Oscar nomination locked.” As for the film itself, it’s “involving and moving in the mode of another war-zone Winterbottom picture, Welcome to Sarajevo.”

______________________________________________________

I can’t wait for other reviews!

making money off a reporters public decapitation is weird………….sick

united we stand @ 05/21/2007 at 11:26 am

oh how i love this family they are so beautiful.

MAY GOD ALMIGHTY CONTINUE TO BLESS THE JOLIE-PITT FAMILY

Is good to be BAMPZS fan

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 11:27 am

Last bit from Lainey. :)
_____________________________

The Chemistry

The press conference panel was long. Like almost 9 people, maybe more. Mariane Pearl, Michael Winterbottom, Angelina Jolie, and Dan Futterman sat in the centre. Brad was way off at the left end if you were facing them directly.

Naturally, once the Q&A got going, once people did the perfunctory and respected Mariane with questions about her story, the personal questions started coming. On a few occasions, when a question was particularly intimate, Angelina would look over at Brad and giggle. For the most part, he took over in those situations, stepping in before she could open her mouth and start spilling as she’s want to do, and firmly redirecting his answer towards promoting the movie. :lol: She seemed to defer to him too, pausing so he could jump in before sitting back and listening intently.

Still…there were a few cute moments. Like when she talked about how they spent Sunday playing with the children, he was kinda smiling wistfully then seemed to catch himself and look down so as not to give anything away. And at the very end of the press conference, a journalist asked a question that was directed at both of them. She spoke first but when it was Brad’s turn, he was caught in a daze, and apologised by saying that he was “lost in the waft of her words – what’s her name over there”… clearly either daydreaming or just totally mesmerised by his lady. She giggled again. :)

And then it was time to go. Security sealed off the corridor so that they could walk out in peace. But they had to cross an archway in plain view of photographers who were complaining about having to shoot through the glass. At this point, I had returned to the press lounge, getting ready to plug in my lap top. The rest of the cast and Mariane crossed over first followed by Angelina. She walked a few steps before being held back. So she waited under an awning until Brad appeared, and then they walked arm in arm, his hand creeping towards her ass across the bridge down the steps on the other side. :lol: As they descended the stairs, they dropped their hands and linked fingers. He leaned down for a split second and sort of buried his head in her hair. I watched her squeeze his hand back and look back up at him with a lovey dovey face … :) and then the pappies started cursing because none of them could get a clear shot.

As for further plans in Cannes – word is they’re keeping it super low key. No chance of catching them tonight at Nikki Beach. But they’re here for a few days…will try my best.

PS. They all call her Angie. None of the cast members, when referring to her, ever call her Angelina. Even Mariane Pearl exclusively called her Angie. As of course does Brad. Funny thing is – she doesn’t look like an Angie to me…you?

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 11:31 am

From Premiere. :)
__________________________________

“A Mighty Heart”

Given her tabloid noteriety, is it possible for Angelina Jolie to even register a performance anymore? That is, when on screen, can she make you believe that you are not looking at Angelina Jolie? That’s just one of the questions going through my mind before seeing A Mighty Heart, the much-bruited film adaptation of Mariane Pearl’s memoir starring Jolie as Pearl, co-produced by Jolie’s companion Brad Pitt, and directed by Michael Winterbottom. (Pearl was the wife of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan in early 2002. Mariane, also a journalist, was five months pregnant with their son at the time.)

The answer to the question is “kind of.” Which is not to say that Jolie does not perform to the fullest of her capabilities, or that she is ineffective. But what makes her convincing here has as much to do with how she is shot as what she does.

The ever astute Winterbottom has cast the film as a procedural and an ensemble piece. Contrary to what many might have inferred from the production stills, official-and-non, that emerged during the making of the film, this is not a picture wherein a lone Mariane Pearl wanders wide-eyed through the streets of Karachi in a heroic search for her missing spouse. Mariane spends most of the time in the rented house of a friend and colleague (Archie Panjabi), surrounded by a partially ad hoc team—a Pakistani police captain, an American diplomat, a couple of Wall Street Journal staffers, etc.—trying to piece together the hows and whys of Pearl’s abduction. (Pearl himself is played very well by Dan Futterman in his likable straight-shooter mode.)

Winterbottom appears to understand that no matter how much she is made up (here she is given a darker complexion and ringletted hair to better resemble the Afro-Cuban/Dutch Pearl; she looks pretty much just like herself regardless), there is no way an audience is going to look at her onscreen and NOT see Angelina Jolie. He employs a couple of strategies to tackle this. In the initial sequences of the film, he rarely puts her in the frame all by herself; she’s always in part of some bustle, even if she’s in the foreground. He also cuts very quickly; he doesn’t give her any “moments.” Thus, he makes her just a part of what he’s weaving, much of which involves getting the viewer as deep as film possibly can get one into the feel of Karachi. Winterbottom’s particularly good with environments, and he’s also a deft, quick storyteller, and he juggles chronology in a way that gives us a quick, empathy-generating read of Daniel and Mariane’s passionate involvement while moving the kidnap tale at almost full throttle.

Later, at moments when Mariane is most emotionally fraught, Winterbottom makes us not see Jolie by sort of not showing her to the viewer; he will shoot her from behind, or in silhouette. We don’t get a full-on, well lit face-forward shot of Mariane screaming until she’s giving birth to her and Daniel’s son Adam. And by this point of the film, it works.

As does, I should say, the rest of the picture, which is involving and moving in the mode of another war-zone Winterbottom picture, Welcome to Sarajevo. Jolie and Pitt were very smart to get a director who doesn’t do star turns to do Jolie’s star turn. I dare say she’s got at least an Oscar nomination locked.

OMG!! He looks so unhappy!!! What angelina has done to him??

thanks so much Lainey for giving us intimacy detail of Brad & angie. This is what we want to know. I wish I were there to be able to see it.

Mr and Mrs Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 11:38 am

#
110
Maria Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 11:34 am – flag comment

OMG!! He looks so unhappy!!! What angelina has done to him??
____________________________________________________________

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry honey, but I’m enjoying your pain today. :lol:

united we stand @ 05/21/2007 at 11:39 am

you are so wonderful too also for the quote by people about our beloved couple. thanks

106
too soon Says:

So who is sick? Ms. Pearl, because she wrote a book telling her story. The director, who made a movie, Welcome to Sarajevo, capitalizing on an atrocity in the middle of Europe, an atrocity which changed the description of “genocide” in the EU?

You can not understand this movie tells a story that goes beyond Ms. Jolie, even beyond Ms. Pearl and her late husband. I assume you have never been to a place where lack of tolerance cuts the air like a knife, lack of security becomes a constant daily worry, right to live is non-existent as a fundamental human right, and you will never get the message. It is all about making money for you, isn’t it?

~curly

this guy just leave me speechless. while i don’t have anything against jennifer aniston, i think he’s just much more happier with angie now, and i’m very glad for him.

MariaNeedsGlasses @ 05/21/2007 at 11:51 am

110
Maria Says:
****************************
You need to see an Opthalmologist urgently to schedule your cataract surgery!

sister golden hair surprise @ 05/21/2007 at 11:55 am

I still like him, but I’m not in love with Brad anymore. I get bored of every star sooner or later. My problem, I guess.

The best to Brad and Angie. I hope they eventually tie the knot like Johnny and Vanessa are rumored to be planning to do. They don’t need it, but it would be good for the children’s sake.

autumn wild @ 05/21/2007 at 11:55 am

heheheh funny.

a snippet:

Cast in the role of Mariane, Jolie copes well and keeps the histrionics on a tight leash – although I can’t help feeling that her groomed beauty is becoming more and more of a distraction these days. “I haven’t slept for six days,” she complains at one stage, looking for all the world as though she’s just been beamed down from the planet Venus.

It transpires that she is just as impressive in the flesh. When Jolie wanders into the press conference the arrival throws a kind of darkness on the rest of the room. It’s as though she has her own personal key-light permanently trained upon her, or perhaps she’s just swallowed one of the photographer’s flashbulbs. Either way, it’s faintly spooky.

united we stand @ 05/21/2007 at 11:56 am

no need to answer the troll today and forever. Am happy for Jolie-Pitt.

Lookin good @ 05/21/2007 at 12:00 pm

LOOK NO HAT and LOOKIN” Very HOT. Bless this very good Daddy!!!

OMG – this is great, soo many pics – can’t wait til the opening of O13! :)

Hi BAMPZS fans ……..

While waiting for more news……..let keep our fingers moving for Brad.
Only 10 more days to go……. let perserve to the end!!
Thanks! :)

Passing Through @ 05/21/2007 at 12:14 pm

You guys know I love Brad to bits…but…not digging the hair. Looks a little too Hair Club For Men… Otherwise…he cleans up well and obviously he’s fully aware of how much some people hate that hat because he thoughtfully didn’t wear it!

Mrs. Smith @ 05/21/2007 at 12:22 pm

HELP! I can’t keep up with all this HOTNESS! Whew! Blood pressure is soaring, heart rate is definitely way over normal, someone call 911!!!

127
Mrs. Smith Says:
————:lol:

i like his new hair style and makes him look younger and hotter.

Did you people look at the same pix i’ve looked at or are you just assuming that he’s the hottest thing ever? he looks shiteous in these pix!

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 12:35 pm

123
angelah Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 12:02 pm – flag comment
beautiful couple!

Lovely Picture!!!!!

ploypaphat @ 05/21/2007 at 12:37 pm

121
united we stand Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 11:56 am – flag comment
no need to answer the troll today and forever. Am happy for Jolie-Pitt.

*********************************************************

Absolutely AGREE :D

Jared just so you know,your pics of the Jolie-Pitts are the best.I go no-where else.

An absolute lovely family beauty all around.

108
Mr and Mrs Smith Says:
and then they walked arm in arm, his hand creeping towards her ass across the bridge down the steps on the other side. and then the pappies started cursing because none of them could get a clear shot.
———————

Check the top pictures @ Pitt Impression =D

Brad & Angie kissing @ 05/21/2007 at 1:00 pm

I think she loves him like no other woman has ever loved him.

re:Brad & Angie kissing Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 1:00 pm – flag comment
I think she loves him like no other woman has ever loved him.
—————————————————————
i totally agree with you. and also he loves her like no other man has ever loved her.

Beeloved Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 10:05 am – flag comment
While we bask in happiness for our favourite and gorgeous couple.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I’m a voting fool…dont worry, “I” havent forgotten. :)

I think Brad looks great for 52 yrs old. Miss the blonde highlights though.

The hottest looking male specimen to have ever walked this earth. Period. Barnone.

Bradley: you are a class act. With a nice ass.

I’m seeing the red carpet in Cannes: they’re hoot, Angie wears a beautiful, simple black dress, she’s gorgeous, Brad has a lot of brilliantine in his hair, he’s very sexy they’re walking close each other…INCREDIBLE SIGHT!!!

lol @ amle, you’re exaggerating the age, hon.

African Girl @ 05/21/2007 at 1:47 pm

142
amle Says:
May 21st, 2007 at 1:32 pm – flag comment

Lol….I don’t know if you’re trying to be funny but that was funny. 52… :lol:

new thread!!!!!!!!!!

146
African Girl Says:

—————

Hey there, j@r3d posted another new thread– B&A premiere pix

god i cant keep up…brb

I believe he will look hot at 60.

143
Team Lara Croft Says:

May 21st, 2007 at 1:33 pm – flag comment

Bradley: you are a class act. With a nice ass.

+++

Hot? yeah. The hottest? NOOO! You’re crushing on him big time!

BradAngMadZShiPaxLove @ 05/21/2007 at 7:25 pm

HiYa everyone ..Brad defines HOT!.Im just getting a look at all the WONDERFUL THREADS JARED’s gifted to us sistser bampzsers’..and I was thinking Brad loves Ang so much and vice versa.I think hes so protective of her. Brad was there when her mum died and it must of hurt him deeply that he couldnt keep his love from such a deep hurt.I remember seeing pics of him crying outside of a balcony when he and ANG were cleaning Marcheline’s home, he was so very distraught ,he to loved Marcheline and to see Ang the love of his life hurt& in so much pain,he probably felt helpless, there wasnt much he could do about Marcheline’s passing but make sure he was there for Ang and he was, I dont think he will ever forget it. Brads very close to his mom.Brad went through Shiloh’s birth every step of the way..Z’s Adoption,Mad’s younger years, Pax coming home,all this has only brought these two closer than ever.They’ve gone through so much together (some of it unnessary by we know who) but here they are united,living 2gether,working 2gether,raising a family 2gether,&loving and respecting each other and of course’Date Night’..When you go through rough times and happy times youre still standing, anit nothing gonna break you apart..and the only 2 that could ever do that would be them.

I LOVE HIM!
BRAD I LOVE YOU!

Creativegirl, I agree with you. He is soooooooooooo hot.

What a cutie pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#1

WOW!! Brad is Hot and everybody else has said it all.
I love the bampzs and what a great night it is with all of these fab threads.Tks very much Jared.
Peace Bampzs fans

Jesus Christ he is G O D himself. lucky Angelina, I wish I were you. Look at him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE is still the hottest man on earth. Jude Law who????