Orlando Bloom Serves Nepal for UNICEF

Orlando Bloom Serves Nepal for UNICEF

Orlando Bloom wears flower garlands and a red “tikka” mark on his forehead (local symbols of welcome) while visiting ethnic Tharu children and women at the Sayapatri Community Organization in the village of Dibyanagar in Chitwan district, Nepal.

In his role as an international ambassador for the charity UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund), Orlando, 30, toured UNICEF-supported programs in the country’s western region November 30 – December 9, 2007, meeting with UNICEF staff, health facilitators and educators, as well as women’s and other community groups.

Nepal is still recovering from a decade-long civil war that left 13,000 people dead, hampered the delivery of basic services and restricted development of the nation. Malnutrition is the underlying cause of more than 60 per cent of child deaths in Nepal; an estimated 51 per cent of children under the age of five stunted in growth and 48 per cent considerably underweight. However, maternal mortality has significantly reduced from an estimated 539 deaths per 100,000 births in 1996 to 281 maternal deaths per 100,000 births in 2006. Child deaths are also on the decline, putting Nepal on track to reach Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) 4 and 5 (the reduction of under-five child mortality and improved maternal health).

Donate now to SupportUnicef.org. 10+ to-die-for pictures of Orlando serving Nepal inside…

orlando bloom nepal 01
orlando bloom nepal 13
orlando bloom nepal 14

Photos: HQ07-2007/Brian Sokol/UNICEF
Posted to: Orlando Bloom

Getty

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 78 » Show All

Now that you mention it that kid he is holding does look a bit coked
out, don’t you think? LOL

maniuplatng @ 01/11/2008 at 3:17 pm

Hey, I’m just sayin, it was win/win for him. Interesting sights to see, good publicity. It’s not like he was cleaning up sick, or doing the really hard work. If it helped some people great, but it does not make the man a candidate for a Nobel Prize. And Brangelina, those people are crazy. They may do good things, but I always wonder what is going to happen to those poor kids, when Angelina reinvents herself, as she seems prone to do every so many years. The kids they have adopted probably need special care, and how can they give it to them, while they are hauling themselves all over the world, making movies and posing for cameras. It is hard enough for regular people to interact closely with their kids, and with their schedules, I am thinking the nannies are the one who are emotionally nurturing their kids.

Gosh he looks so good thanks for the pictures Jared.

Attention-hungry Netkook @ 01/11/2008 at 3:22 pm

#67, that’s not true, he actually roasts and eats the children. I have a super secret source that told me that. Oh, and I forgot to say before that I once observed him taking two USA Todays from the machine when he only paid for one.

But seriously, it’s good to see anybody doing good works, celebrity or not. I wonder how many charities the sanctimonius twits doing the bashing are working for and donating to. I guess miserable people need everyone else to be miserable as well so they show up on perfectly innocuous threads like this one and start spewing venom. I guess they didn’t get enough hugs as kids. I’m so glad I don’t know anyone like this in real life.

Seriously, believing that someone really is doing good things, even if it’s just a little bit, is “being a sheep” and “believing whatever we’re spoonfed?” Heaven forbid there should be someone in the world who is *gasp* a good person. I’m all about the snark, but when you start spewing real venom at a person you don’t know that’s messed up. Really messed up.

Attention-hungry Netkook @ 01/11/2008 at 3:28 pm

“Maybe someone can enlighten me. Why do some of you care if fangirls squeel and think Orlando’s wonderful and perfect and cute? How does this impact you at all?”

Because miserable, joyless people absolutely hate it when they see someone else enjoying themselves. Maybe hurling abuse at people makes them feel good. They must get beat up a LOT in real life.

i love Orlando!!
he is such a sweetie!
he is so hot

why are some of you guys bring such jerks about it at least he did something i don’t see you doing anything but complaining

Pot, meet Kettle @ 01/11/2008 at 3:42 pm

@78
Sure, like Orlando fans never show up on Kate threads and bash her.

Attention-hungry Netkook @ 01/11/2008 at 3:47 pm

“Sure, like Orlando fans never show up on Kate threads and bash her.”

Dang, it took you a whole 82 posts to drag her into it. Get on the ball, people.

And no, at least in my circle of online friends, we don’t comment on her publicly at all because it gives her attention she doesn’t deserve.

craig stairs @ 01/11/2008 at 3:52 pm

Attention-hungry Netkook @ 01/11/2008 at 3:56 pm

“that’s good orlando, let’s hope you volunteer for the civil war that’s sure to breakout in the u.s.a shortly. ”

Oh for pete’s sake, WTF are on about?

oops they did it again... @ 01/11/2008 at 3:57 pm

HOW CAN ANYONE BASH ORLANDO FOR BEING KIND TO PEOPLE WHO ARE LESS FOTUNATE THAN YOUR UGLY A**ES.
HE DID A VERY GOOD THING KUDO TO HIM.
LET’S BE CLEVER FOR ONCE.
WHAT A BUNCH OF STUPID A**HOLES.
GOOD JOB ORLY AND YES THE STATS ARE VERY SCARY,IT MAKES ME SAD TOO.

✿lucy✿ @ 01/11/2008 at 4:15 pm

I Just love him he’s one true heart.

Orlando proves the theory; the world is bigger than me. Love and peace can be achieved if you just show up and do your part!

Oh for G*ds sake!
It’s not like he did anything that actually got his hands dirty! He got to see some of the sights, and went to look at some poor and destitute people like they were animals at the zoo! Like most celebutard dilletantes. Including Brangelina. Then came the photo ops with the healthiest and best fed children in the area. Can’t have Mr. Movie Star return to his Hollywood life with any communicable diseases now can we? At least none that he doesn’t get the good old fashioned PrettyBoy way. And let’s not get into the security detail probably conveniently cropped from the photos.
I doubt Mr. Blooms presence has inspired any rich individuals or corporations or governments who haven’t already donated to UNICEF(believe me, they’re quite popular) to open the coffers more. You know, the people with the REAL money. This was mostly for Mr. Blooms personal interests and gains. Believe me, the monetary returns on these visits, charades an old friend of mine calls them, is very little, if anything, compared to the costs to cover them.

“Special Ambassador” is an empty but coveted resume title for the social elite/status seekers.

Signed
a Fifteen year International Relief Organization Fundraiser. And Veteran -I’ve done my field work too.

My sentiments exactly! Give credit to the people who really do the volunteer work, and risk their lives and health. Good for people like you, and I bet no one sent photos of you doing the dirty work out, so you could look could did they?

he's doing more than you @ 01/11/2008 at 4:39 pm

#89 and #90 why do you care so much? Is it because you are out there in the dirt feeding starving orphans yourself, volunteering for the Peace Corps and giving as much money as you can to worthy causes?

Nope, didn’t think so.

Exactly, I still think the point is being missed here, I though the idea of humanitarian work was to help others, not for recognition. Unfortunately without the help of celebs like Orlando these issue would be ignored. Remember the ONE.org commercial, would any of us bought the bracelet or even paid attention if it hadn’t been for those stars, probably not.

Again volunteering and/ or visiting to show you support is far better then sitting on your couch, so lets commend those that do, hands dirty or not.

BEAUTIFUL!

I HOPE HE IS DOING THIS BECAUSE HE WANT’S TO AND IT IS NOT JUST AN ACT……

…Carmen is back! Wooot!!

I still wonder what Kate, Miranda and her Ex have to do with these kids in Nepal… *eyeroll* I guess you guys believe that Orlando did this all to SHOVE it RIGHT into the exes faces. Oh, and make Miranda totally fall for him. Like, OMG, he’s a douche bag for sure! Working with UNICEF! Oh, teh evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

lol.

You people never fail to amuse me. Thanks for that.

orlando uncensored unite! @ 01/11/2008 at 5:00 pm

Pot, meet Kettle @ 01/11/2008 at 3:42 pm >

@78
Sure, like Orlando fans never show up on Kate threads and bash her.

So in other words, you are admitting that’s what you do. Interesting. Of course, being a true Orlando fan means that you must love unconditionally any person attached to Orlando. He would never stoop to bearding for some lesbian cokehead. No way! He would share the coke with her and turn her straight. That way he could parade her around to the paps tweny-four seven and call them up to know where he’s going to be. Even when it is to give her the walking papers at a restaurant two months before it was announced publicly. His hairdresser’s assistant’s told the executive assistant who told my trash picking neighbor that who told me.

sally struthers is that you? @ 01/11/2008 at 5:05 pm

No one needs some has been celebrity to tell them about the plight
of poor children. Who,besides teenage girls, is going to listen to what Orlando Bloom has to say about poverty or the enviroment? I doubt they’re the ones with the deep pockets who can do anything about it.
But hey, he got in people magazine for doing something other than leaving the scene of an accident with his bleeding friends in the car so I guess it will pay off for him.

#96 you’re are stupid beotch, you should go out and get some fresh air for your dead brain.
WELL DONE ORLY, YOU’RE THE BEST.

#You’re a stupid beotch, you should go out to get some fresh air for your dead brain.
WELL DONE ORLY YOU’RE THE BEST.

orlando uncensored unite! @ 01/11/2008 at 5:17 pm

Ur just jealus fatty haterz.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 78 » Show All