Orlando Bloom Serves Nepal for UNICEF

Orlando Bloom Serves Nepal for UNICEF

Orlando Bloom wears flower garlands and a red “tikka” mark on his forehead (local symbols of welcome) while visiting ethnic Tharu children and women at the Sayapatri Community Organization in the village of Dibyanagar in Chitwan district, Nepal.

In his role as an international ambassador for the charity UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund), Orlando, 30, toured UNICEF-supported programs in the country’s western region November 30 – December 9, 2007, meeting with UNICEF staff, health facilitators and educators, as well as women’s and other community groups.

Nepal is still recovering from a decade-long civil war that left 13,000 people dead, hampered the delivery of basic services and restricted development of the nation. Malnutrition is the underlying cause of more than 60 per cent of child deaths in Nepal; an estimated 51 per cent of children under the age of five stunted in growth and 48 per cent considerably underweight. However, maternal mortality has significantly reduced from an estimated 539 deaths per 100,000 births in 1996 to 281 maternal deaths per 100,000 births in 2006. Child deaths are also on the decline, putting Nepal on track to reach Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) 4 and 5 (the reduction of under-five child mortality and improved maternal health).

Donate now to SupportUnicef.org. 10+ to-die-for pictures of Orlando serving Nepal inside…

orlando bloom nepal 01
orlando bloom nepal 14

Photos: HQ07-2007/Brian Sokol/UNICEF
Posted to: Orlando Bloom

Christopher Polk/Getty

Pages: « 12 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 » Show All
fan caliber @ 01/11/2008 at 5:23 pm

Well, the last few post have just about demonstrated to me the brillance and sophisication of Orlando’s fan base. The one person who did have something valid to say was ignored and misread. That is about the intelligence level of those who worship at the feet of their proclamied god.

#100 I don’t get your point why are you coming in here to bash him.
I’m not a fan of Orlando but I can apprecite when someone does something worthwhile. You’re very ignorant you don’t know how much those children need help. You’re just here to spread hate. very stupid indeed.

awww…too cute. he’ll be a great dad someday :)

Whatever you girls say @ 01/11/2008 at 5:43 pm

I’ve never really understood the appeal.

Doing good things for Unicef is good in general but also good for the image. Not to offend all 50 of his fangirls, but he does love publicity and has been known to do anything to get it. Let’s face facts – he had a bad run of publicity throughout the end of 2007 (wrecking cars, groping women, acting like a drunk, women-hopping, dressing/looking like a homeless person, etc.).

He goes around most of the time wearing ill-fitting and extremely-worn clothes and showing his underwear. A few facts: 1. he’s not an underwear model – he looks too dirty to model underwear; 2. he’s from England, not the Hood – he has no street cred to be able to pull off wearing his pants that low; and, 3. he’s a grown-up – he’s going to be 31 not 13. There comes a point when that’s not cool anymore.

Then, this week alone, two posts on Jared about him that aren’t too bad. His reputation has needed some resusitation for a while now. Hopefully his management will bring out the paddles soon and give his career a good jolt; otherwise the career flatline is certain to continue.

sally struthers is that you? @ 01/11/2008 at 5:47 pm

you know he’s thinking “just how much of this good will crap do I need to do to equalize the bad karma I’ve accumulated lately”.

Oh, dear here we go again with another celebrity kissing poor impoverished babies.

crazy like me @ 01/11/2008 at 6:03 pm

“I doubt Mr. Blooms presence has inspired any rich individuals or corporations or governments who haven’t already donated to UNICEF(believe me, they’re quite popular) to open the coffers more. You know, the people with the REAL money. This was mostly for Mr. Blooms personal interests and gains. Believe me, the monetary returns on these visits, charades an old friend of mine calls them, is very little, if anything, compared to the costs to cover them. ”

So, you’re in the know, Ms. International Relief Fund Gal? Let me see if I understand.

UNICEF is popular. They have no real need for the hasbeen Orlando Bloom to go on a photo op because they already have tons of rich people donating and doing this doesn’t change anything appreciable, correct? And this cost a lot of money (paid by UNICEF?) for no benefit to them. Am I following things so far?

But where were we, oh yes. Orlando sux. And his 15 minutes are over. But somehow he wielded enough power to get UNICEF (who we must remember did this against their will because it has no need for publicity itself) to set up a PR stunt to rehabilitate is tarnished image.

Did I get this right? All this despite the fact that Orlando was originally set to go to Sri Lanka for UNICEF prior to Pirates: At World’s End premiering in May before any of this so-called image rehabilitation was needed. What foresight on Orlando’s part.

Please let me know if I followed the logic. I want to get it right.

hollywood finest. @ 01/11/2008 at 6:03 pm

#103 who care about the way he wears his clothes? this man is just a “hot piece” that’s what I care about.

fan caliber @ 01/11/2008 at 6:11 pm

i thought the whole point of sites like this were for people to express their opinion, the ones who seem most reasonable and understanding of views that may be different than their own, the more adult posts, if you will, seem to be those that are less likely to love everthing he does. The ones that get angry and hysterical and frantic that the whole wide world just doesn’l love Orlando to death because he is just so hot, and sweet, and cute are the ones who are reduced to expressing themselves with child like speech. Whoever said he needs to grow up is right, and then maybe he will be have more adult, and thoughtful fans too. Actually though Attention-hungry Netkook, although I disagree with your view, your posts do make me smile, you maybe the exception to the rule. Eats roasted children indeed, snort!

Whatever you girls say @ 01/11/2008 at 6:25 pm

If he just goes to the store, the pictures don’t show up unless there’s the gratuitous showing of the underwear, bashful running from the paparazzi, or linking with a girlfriend. He’s got to keep the fangirls happy, don’t ya know.

LOL @ #96 @ 01/11/2008 at 6:26 pm

“Has been?” You don’t get out much, do you?

Attention-hungry Netkook @ 01/11/2008 at 6:53 pm

#106 aka crazy like me, excellent post!

“Now, we’ve already established Orlando is a loser, a hasbeen, a drug addict, has one of not more communicable diseases, gropes women against their will, serial dates, crashes his car and leaves his friends to die, oh and his worse sin, it seems according to you, dresses badly. (I wonder if he dressed impeccabley all the time if you’d find fault with that. What a flashy sellout! He probably gets those clothes for free and sets up photo ops to show them off! Something like that, right?)”

Yep, pretty much. He can do nothing right by some people. If he were to quit acting, give all his money and belongings to the homeless and become a Buddhist monk, they’d have a problem with that, too.

Since someone will inevitably bring up the ex in order to point out the “hypocrisy” of Orlando fans, I’ll do it first. Yes, she didn’t get much love. But I think most people-at least the mature adults-would give her due credit if she did something really great or tried to make the world a better place. She just never did.

“One last thing. You all you like to harp on all of Orlando’s failings and the signs of his imminent demise and fall from grace do realize that in the real world the accident got very little attention? That the vast majority of people don’t see these pictures? That most people have no idea about who Orlando was linked to? That the biggest story in recent memory for normal people was that he was dating Jennifer Aniston? Only his fans and ex-fans seem to know the excruciating and skewed details of his life. And as so many of you are so quick to point out, the fangirls love him regardless, will make up excuses regardless, will always defend him and never agree with you lot.”

He showed that he wasn’t the sparkly, flawless image of perfection he was sold as. I don’t blame him, because it would be exhausting to maintain an image 24/7. He showed that he is just a guy who has achieved extraordinary things in his young life, but that Will Turner and Legolas will always be just fictional characters.

What else did he do? Well, nothing really. From where I’m standing he never did anything wrong, so I can’t help but laugh at the people who think this work was some attempt to rehabilitate his image. I wasn’t aware that it was ever tarnished, were you? From my vantage point, he wasn’t doing anything different than any other single guy with a little money in his pocket.

Anyway, I wish the ex-fans who can’t let go would familiarize themselves with the phrase “the opposite love is not hate, it’s indifference.” I wish they’d get on with that indifference and get lost.

Post to yourself much?? @ 01/11/2008 at 7:00 pm

LOL Orlando fans are an interesting breed.

Post to yourself much?? @ 01/11/2008 at 7:07 pm

and long winded too!

Whatever you girls say @ 01/11/2008 at 7:08 pm

#113 You noticed the strange postings, too. Glad I’m not the only one. You’ll find this kind of thing on any of his posts and other people’s (Brangelina). They all have their die-hard fans who don’t like to hear anything really negative about their idols.

His trip to Sri Lanka was cancelled due to security issues, if I remember correctly. With the political turmoil in Nepal, I’m just glad that he got home safe.

You know, even if you cynics are right (which you aren’t) and the only people interested in his trip to Nepal are young teenage girls, I think that is fantastic! Wouldn’t it be great if his involvement made young girls realize that there are more important things in the world than the having the latest styles, or the cutest jeans? If he can turn one narcissistic brat into a caring human being who will give back to society, mission accomplished as far as I’m concerned.

And as for his birthday? I hope that he has a blast! Drink and be merry, Orlando! And I hope that you have a girl, or two, to help you celebrate your 31st!

PS: Carmen, you really need to get out more.

orlando uncensored unite! @ 01/11/2008 at 7:27 pm

fan caliber, how dare you say you didn’t like my posts too! You don’t know how hard and long I’ve slaved over them!

Karen #116, I couldn’t agree with you more. If his being in Nepal gets us thinking about the people, Unicef etc. then it’s obliviously working!

Who in the hell is Carmen, is that like Wehre in the World is Carmen Sandiego, from when I was a kid?

crazy like me @ 01/11/2008 at 8:51 pm

“You can do google-entertainment news and his indescretions come up. You cannot deny that he has done those things. I really don’t think UNICEF gets much of anything from celebrity visits. They get to put out pictures; they have to in order to show that people are doing something with the donated money. The facts about Nepal wouldn’t be on this site without Orlando’s name attached, so that’s good.

The point is he tries to get his picture/name on these sites and in the papers. He doesn’t have any projects and hasn’t for quite a while. Fame is fleeting. Why not go to Nepal? It’s a good thing, Nepal’s an interesting place, the people are nice and don’t really know who you are, it’s a good cause, plus he gets publicity. ”

So you’ve backed off your claim that this was Orlando’s set up PR stung? UNICEF actually does need celebrities? They need to get their message out (regardless of the audience) and this is the way to do it? I see. That’s not what you implied in your first comment, was it? And you’ll admit it is a good thing that attention was brought to the issues in Nepal? And that Orlando had a hand in it? I see. Hmm.

No one is denying that he gets good PR out of something like this. But the idea that it was all some attempt to revive his career/image rather than quite possibly something Orlando cares about isn’t fair, is it? Orlando had been trying to work for UNICEF for a long time, and he happens to be free now to do it, what should he have done? Said he couldn’t go because people might think he was being a famewhore? In the scenario above, UNICEF benefits, the people in need benefit, and yes, Orlando benefits. Everyone wins. Is there something wrong with that? It’s the old double edged sword, damned if you do and damed if you don’t.

I am not saying Orlando is a saint. If others think he can do no wrong that’s their business. But to say Orlando can do no right is ridiculous and just as myopic.

For #112: I never thought his image was tarnished, either. There are few bitter hags who harp on his so called escapades of doom and beyond that, no one cares.

“I wish the ex-fans who can’t let go would familiarize themselves with the phrase “the opposite love is not hate, it’s indifference.” I wish they’d get on with that indifference and get lost.”

I wish that too. That fine line between love and hate is awfully blurry, ain’t it?

He’s worked nonstop for the last 8 or 9 years. His last movie was in May and he worked on a play over the summer. It’s hardly tragic that he has no movies lined up. As he said, he is picking carefully. In the meantime he has spent the year going to Antarctica, doing work for UNICEF, narrating a documentary about the Everest Peace Project, and yes, enjoying his life. Quelle horreur!

I think the scariest thing for all these ex-fans is that he’s obviously not slinking off into obscurity anytime soon. He’ll be around annoying you for decades to come.

LOL wow some of you are very hard up for those flame wars of the past huh? Ahh memories. :)

IMHO whenever a celebrity does something charitable, even if it turns out it was for a bit of PR, as long as someone is helped/benefits then I don’t see the problem. Perhaps by just showing what’s wrong and how bad things are for others will get other people with the means to help to ACTUALLY do just that.

Besides think of all the celebs who do nothing but flounder in their own hype. Say what you will about Orlando but he’s never been that type of person.

So I say good on Orlando and I hope he keeps bringing attention to causes that he’s interested in. Also the pictures are very nice too.

crazy like me @ 01/11/2008 at 8:55 pm

*stunt not stung.

You guys have made me tired I think I will lay down and take a nap, let me know when they crown him King of the entire Universe, Daddy to all, Hottest, and Sweetest Guy on earth, will you?

You guys… chill out!
Gosh, he’s done it, he’s done good. Period.
Did his agent send this? If so, AMEN.
Did he do it for PR? If so, PATIENCE.
He’s done it. He will not save the world but at least he was down there with those children who i bet, don’t recieve so much attention everyday.
So please, can we go back telling how hot is he without speculating about why he’s done it?
Thaaaaanks.