John Mayer: Don't Drink and Drive!

John Mayer: Don't Drink and Drive!

John Mayer just blogged about his admiration for his housemate Chad and the important message of, “Don’t Drink and Drive!” Check out his most recent blog:

“UNDER THE (IMPRESSION I CAN) INFLUENCE (PEOPLE AROUND ME)

I’m taking to the blog today to share something with you that I feel more passionate about than I saw coming. I want to make it short and sweet so that anybody who wants to re-print it can copy and paste without editing…

Went out to dinner Thursday night. My car. One glass of wine. Carpooled from dinner to go out to one more place. Everyone in my car. At the next spot, I do the Diet Coke with Lime thing. My favorite scotch (Lagavulin 16 year) arrives under my nose. “Can’t do it,” I say. Then I find out my friend has switched to Designated Driver and has a plan that involves everyone getting home safe. Cool. I love Lagavulin when the time is right. Now it’s the end of the night and I’m feeling wonderfully buzzy and ready to get dropped off to my house in my car, except the person that was going to follow my car in the DD’s car to drive him back isn’t in shape to drive either.

It’s 2 o’clock in the morning. I call my housemate Chad. Chad‘s sleeping. He was in the studio all day. I explain to him that I need him to jump in the back seat of my car, ride to the DD’s car and drive me back home. Of course Chad says “yes” and comes through like a champ. A champ, I say.

Here’s what I want to tell you:

If I, incredibly hot/fugly John Mayer can make that call, so can you.

The distance from the parking lot to my house was about 5 miles, mostly straight shot up the coast of Santa Monica, zero traffic. And I didn’t drive it. Me. The guy who gets the VIP velvet rope treatment in life.

Oh, and the call? It’s not the coolest you’ll ever sound. And the logistics? It’s kind of inelegant. You trace the same route twice when all you want to do is fall into bed. But you gotta do it.

This is all coming from a guy who you can be sure would have found a sexier way to get home if there was one available. And there just isn’t, especially in LA. (You can be sexy again the next day when you wake up with the rest of your big, beautiful life in front of you.)

I’m not writing this to earn golf claps, it’s just that if I’m going to stand in any way as an ambassador of something cool or influential, this is more important than any pair of sneakers or a guitar.

And to give a big high five to the Chads of the world.

See you around

JM”

Getty
  • Lisa Kudrow completed her jury duty in one day- TMZ
  • Watch the new music video for Hunter Hayes' song "Tattoo"- Just Jared Jr
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip

He is so full of it man!

Good for him. I can think of several other celebrities who might need to take a lesson or two on this particular subject.

Now if only somebody cool would do the same thing . . .

I couldn’t agree more. (He seems like a laid back- dry sarcasm kind of guy I like him.) Dont drink in drive please you could kill ME the next time your on the road.

Huh. Don’t like his music, but this is very funny and smart. Good for him!

-read my blog at http://fashionpoirot.blogspot.com

blueangel @ 01/12/2008 at 7:45 pm

WTH. It takes him 10 paragraphs to simply say, “Don’t drink and drive.” His ramblings make him sound like an arrogant douche.

teddy-booboo @ 01/12/2008 at 7:53 pm

Why can’t the cheapskate call a cab?

I think it´s no problem to have three or four beer and then drive – you just should not be drunk !!!!

I’ll Be sure to take those words to the bank =/

Just another reason why he’s so awesome.

he did a good thing john and chad.

Hey, on your own blog, you’re aloud to make it all about you. Good for John, and Chad too.

yikes I must be tired ALLOWED not aloud sheesh

I think that that’s great for him.

craig stairs @ 01/12/2008 at 10:24 pm

John, just drive drunk, the rest of the celebrities do it, don’t worry nothing will happen to you. You can be like Ty Peddington, drive drunk and say you didn’t endanger anyone.

he’s really way too proud of himself and needs to stop tooting his own horn about being a star and getting “VIP” treatment and how even he can be in need of a designated driver. you play your guitar and sing for a living .. get over yourself.

kathy legonal @ 01/12/2008 at 11:15 pm

john mayer is soooo amazing and i don’t understand why people judge him so cruely. He is so smart, funny, and sexy (I met him backstage and he is gorgeous in person). So don’t judge John. I am proud of him : )

Keep making great music Johnny!

Well, good for him for not driving, but why does he have a housemate? Can he not afford the mortgage? That’s just bizarre…

Bordergirl6 @ 01/13/2008 at 12:31 am

Good Job John! I’m a huge fan of his, and he is NOT your typical celebrity.

PEOPLE WAKE UP! He is basically making fun of himself. Wow, I love your post lola, just classic (NOT). Spam why don’t you? Hope your site goes down, looks like you have LOTS of users there. (What a load of bull$h1t).

He a musician and maybe the guy plays in his band. I love John’s music. I wish he would appear on tv more often or maybe he will appear here in Dallas TX soon.

I, for one, like John Mayer very much.
I think he’s way cooler than most out there in Celebrity-land, and is just being plain honest when it comes to drabbles such as this.

Here’s to you, John.
Kudos.

What a douchebag…

remember da truth @ 01/13/2008 at 6:24 am

Kitten #19 I guess you are too stupid to understand his point. It’s not all about him or his VIP treatment. The people here who think, oh, I don’t like him so I’ll make fun of his message — you are so clueless about life you all must be about 17.

God, the idiots on this board. I hope you’re never in a hospital standing next to a friend in ICU. The idiot who says four or five beers are okay — ONE is not okay, idiot. Try operating a chain saw next time you have had a couple of beers – maybe we’ll all be better off.

remember da truth @ 01/13/2008 at 6:25 am

Andrea #21 it might be because he’s on tour a lot and gone a lot and having a housemate helps take care of the place and the mail, etc. Also, some people hate to live alone.

Remember da truth, actually Chad is his engineer, so he goes on the road with him.

marisleysis @ 01/13/2008 at 10:36 am

Terry poo poo- the reason he didn’t call a cab is because he didn’t just need a ride home. He needed someone to drive his car home. I guess you didn’t read the whole story, or understand the point. Otherwise, the designated driver could have just driven him home. duh!

Mayer's a douche bag @ 01/13/2008 at 10:59 am

remember da truth YOU ARE SUCH A DOUCHE BAG now you are excuss to go back to the mayerpoppin land of kissing up to him noone her wants to do that.
He should have called a cab but of course he thinks the sun raise and fall on his stank ****.

This is to Remember da truth- The last time I checked posters where allowed to voice their opinion without being bullied. Maybe you should read the blog then comment on the blog and not the other posters. If you are so smart how come you don’t know Chad is his sound engineer? you are either a fake or you are not as smart as you think you are. Have a nice day

Then how did Chad get to the bar to pick up John and his car, so I guess John had to wake up 2 people. 1 to bring Chad thats alot of drama for someone that should have kept himself in check if he was going to be the driver.
I felt like JM was bragging about what he has and what he can do. In everything he writes he always brag on what he has and what he can do. He is a sad person not really feeling good about himself.

He should have been true to his word if he agreed to be the Designated Driver. His word really don’t mean much.

Maybe he is bipolar??????

marisleysis @ 01/13/2008 at 12:28 pm

People, read the story.
“I explain to him that I need him to jump in the back seat of my car, ride to the DD’s car and drive me back home.”
The designated driver and John first drove to John’s house in John’s car (designated driver was driving) to pick up Chad. Then they drove to the designated driver’s car. The designated driver got in his car and drove home, then Chad jumped in the driver’s seat of John’s car and drove John home.
So yes, the designated driver stuck to his job, and no, John could not have called a cab because he needed to get his car home, and no, John did not have to wake up two people.

I LOVE this man, Thank goodness for the “Chads of the world”. John is setting a good example whatever the critics may say! Look at the positives…..

blueangel @ 01/13/2008 at 1:36 pm

I think he and Rumor Willis would make a great pair. They both look hideously alike with their big heads, they both THINK the world revolves around them, and they are both equally annoying.

he kinda sounds full of himself a little bit. although its a good message.

but still, i expected him to say more about good for chad for being dead tired and still going to pick them up to make sure they get home safely. good for chad for being a real friend and not being angry or upset or saying anything to embarras him. more people should be like chad as well as john.

Forget JM he is a douche bag. He should go to the Celebs they are the ones that need this the most. Don’t blog b/c the celebs are not reading your blogs. While you are sitting around the other celebs talk to them about drinking and driving.