Princess Tiana -- First Picture!

Princess Tiana -- First Picture!

Here is the first picture of Princess Tiana from the upcoming Disney film The Princess and the Frog via Comingsoon.net.

Movie premise: A musical set in the legendary birthplace of jazz — New Orleans — The Princess and the Frog will introduce the newest Disney princess, Tiana, a young African-American girl living amid the charming elegance and grandeur of the fabled French Quarter. From the heart of Louisiana’s mystical bayous and the banks of the mighty Mississippi comes an unforgettable tale of love, enchantment and discovery with a soulful singing crocodile, voodoo spells and Cajun charm at every turn.

Princess Tiana is voiced by Tony-award winning actress Anika Noni Rose (Dreamgirls). The Princess and the Frog will tentatively be released just before Christmas of next year — December 18, 2009.

Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty

A real Disney movie with singing and music? This is exciting!

Lovely I can’t wait for this movie….

probably going to turn out horribly. Disney sucks ever since walt died.

That’s not the first pic- I saw one months ago…

Well I’m glad Disney’s being diverse again

I’m an adult but I still can’t wait for another real Disney movie! All these children’s movies that are for adults too are just not the same.

[~F a m o u s~] @ 01/14/2008 at 12:06 pm

she doesn’t look very black in this photo, she’s looking a bit latina’ish to me. i mean, sheit! if you going to make her black, make her black! Djimon Hounsou black!. so black @ some angles she’s purple.

woow this great i’m so excited to watch the movie !!! !

this is great !!!

luv ya disneyyyyyyyyyy (K)(L)DISNEY ROCKSSSSSSS

LMAO! @ [~F a m o u s~]

LMAO me too Nando! I just told my roommate

Adorable. Maybe, since it’s in that mixed up Creole territory, she’s a mulatto girl, anyways..like me! Yey.

Oh great. Here we go again. Disney takes a stab at being diverse and what we get is a bunch of stereotypes. Pocahontas was the ****, don’t get me wrong, but filled with so many painful stereotypes. Doesn’t sound like this is going to be much different. Voodoo spells and Cajun ****, HOW DIVERSE!

Wait — isn’t that the name of Katie PrIce (Jordan) and Peter Andre’s baby?

hudgensvanessaofficial @ 01/14/2008 at 12:43 pm

new pictures video http://hudgensboy.skyrock.com

I Love disney @ 01/14/2008 at 12:47 pm

More pic:

Princess Tiana was originally named ‘Maddy’.

I’m looking forward to this too. It should have fantastic music!

Wow! An African-American princess for a change! It’s about time Disney comes out of the 1950s. She should have had braids to let you know she is African-American. I don’t like the fact that her hair is “permed” or relaxed like another race.
I’m African-American from Louisana and I am NOT into no voodoo! That’s what witches do. By Disney putting voodoo in the mix still seems biased to me.

I like Anika she was great in Dreamgirls great choice!!!!!

I NEED to leave a comment @ 01/14/2008 at 1:06 pm

@kfag

Disney has made some great films since walt died.

Such as Beauty and the Beast, The little Mermaid, Aladdin and more recently Enchanted!

Can’t wait till the movie comes out!

I’m with a lot of the other posters who say this is very stereotypical – not every black person in New Orleans believes in or practices voodoo. Nice try, Disney, but they really should’ve thought this out more. But this is great for Anika! She was great in Dreamgirls and has a very lovely voice.

Ace Tomato @ 01/14/2008 at 1:26 pm

I’m having trouble with the idea of a Princess in one of the 50 states. She couldn’t be American. Is she French?

It would be cooler to make her a black Disney princess where black women really were princesses. Make her Moorish or something exciting.

Sigh. There’s certainly nothing wrong with being a black American woman. I’m just peevish about the idea of American “royalty”.

A black princess? haha.

That’s a very unattractive princess.

I agree with # 15 and 20. This story seems biased. Voodoo? That is not the practice of all new Orleans people and also it’s not a reflection of black culture so I think the story is biased and narrowminded.
Also she should have had braids and also why the title princess and the frog? Could it not have been a bear or a cat or something cute.

As far as I am concerned Disney could keep their white fantasies if that is what makes them feel better because I am sure they are not going to represent well with this story. will see though.

moviemadness @ 01/14/2008 at 3:53 pm

jing want is that supposed to mean exactly? Anyway it is good that are doing that and I’m glad to see 2D animation come back…

My brother’s wife is African-American and her family’s hair type ranges from grandmothers with thin striaght hair, to curly to puffy to whatever. African-Americans are highly mixed and so this idea that one look represnets all is ludicrous. Just go to an African-American family reunion and you will see proof of this. Last Voodoo is only seen as negative by Western stereotypes but the religion is of Yoruban origin and practiced for centuries before Africa was colonized. It is all about celebrating spirits like the Hindu religion and for that matter all religions. Hey take a class on it as I did. Voodoo is not evil – the stereotype is. Yorubans were a peaceful tribe who believed in celebrating spirits, etc. The idea of spells and voodoo dolls is very offensive to a lot of the religion’s experts as it is completely untrue. So is the idea of Zombies and all that crap. But in order to keep slaves in line, colonials forced them to rid of their Yoruban religion. Smae with Native Americans. As a matter of fact, New Orleans Voodoo is very influenced by Native American religion. No fan of Disney, I do think it is great that my niece who is biracial will have a Princess with some African blood to watch on the screen. About time!

Disney does have weird mysogenist ideas about women cartoons. Not good til the Prince comes around? Crap. But what can you do. Little girls love this crap.

Wedding Peach @ 01/14/2008 at 4:22 pm

How romantic! Can’t wait. Princess Tiana sounds magical.

Hello, Disney is still in the 1950s it’s Disney after all. They would never give the “African”-American princess braids because that would not appeal to Caucasian culture or beauty norms where straight hair is preferred. Also America does not have a royal court so the story itself does not make sense unless she migrated from France. Why not just make it an African princess in Africa trying to save her people and falling in love along the way, oh yes that would have required them to use a little creativity, they just like to repeat the same formula: damsel in distress knight in shining armor. Does anyone know if the is supposed to be based in current times or earlier?

To Disney’s credit, I must say she is not the only ethnic cartoon that has been “white washed if you will”. I mean Mulan, what Asian girl do you know looks like that or Yasmine or for that matter what White women look like Cinderella, Snow White, nad all those other Toons? Stick tin girls with 0 size waists with flowing blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, delicate voices, have no jobs, waiting for Prince charming who looks like a Gay version of Pierce Brosnan : what White people have THAT life???

And FYI, braids don’t make you more “African” – how ridiculous. Your ideas do. And even if she had braids, you best believe she would not be a revolutionary like Angela Davis or ROsa Parks. She’d be more Mrs Cleaver than that. I think you are all expecting too much from Disney. Again, look in your familoies, who in your relatives looks like Cinderella and who in the men who are not completely Gay look like the Prince? Case closed.

jing @ 01/14/2008 at 1:39 pm

A black princess? haha.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are many many many African princesses. If you are not familira with historic ones like Nefertiti then certainly, check out one of my favorites, Princess Elizabeth of Toro. Stunning woman. Many slaves were offsprings of rayalty before they were sold into slavery. So haha to you.

I think Princess Elizabeth of Toro was a model too. Yes, she was.

Princess Elizabeth of Toro was educated in England, attended Cambridge, practiced law and is now Ambassador of Uganda to Germany. She also modeled years ago. Her story would have been an awesome one!

Also Tiana is not “mulatta” – I think the girl who will be her best friend will be. But she is not mixed in this cartoon.

BrangelinaFan @ 01/14/2008 at 5:36 pm

It’s about time. I’m so happy to hear that it’s actually on the boards now. I remember last year hearing about the plan. But to see it in fruition on paper, and the drawing . . . wow !! Finally young and old Disney cartoon fans can relate to an original, glamourous character.

– TianaFan

why did they make her look so ugly. Her face is pertruding too much.. I’ve seen better looking black girls in person so I think they are being stereotypical by making this animated black girl ugly.

# 30…I love you!

Kendra @ 01/14/2008 at 11:07 pm

# 30…I love you!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Right back at you Dahling…:)

awesome. i love disney movies- especially the princesses. prince tiana seems cool….lol, hopefully this movie wont be a flop!

it’s real sad that people don’t know that there is african royalty in african. i guest thats what hapends when you dont learn black history in school.

THANK you, Team Lara Croft! You are all being ridiculous. The first thing I thought as I began to read the article was “Finally!”. Like TLC said, all of the characters are whitewashed, you all act like this is something new, and yes, there needs to be a change, but the change has to begin somewhere! I’ve always been annoyed that there isn’t an African-American princess in Disney Princess line, and now there will be. At least we have this, they could have easily continued to blatantly ignore us without qualm. For once, why don’t you wait until more information comes out before you begin to complain . . .

kellyroberts14 @ 02/03/2008 at 4:11 am

Did anyone know that tiana’s prince is white

I think it is ridiculous that everybody is assuming this movie is going to be based on stereotypes when there is almost no information out about it! Can we at least wait until the previews come out to call the movie racist? Also, I think its great that the movie takes place in America – I know there is some concern that folks in Louisiana don’t really practice voodoo, but its just a different version of the wicked witch that is in a lot of the Disney princess movies. I think people are scared of what might happen and are jumping to conclusions.

I am super excited about this movie and hope that we start seeing classic animation again :-)

wow an African American princess thats amazing don’t get me wrong I completely love the disney princesses but when I heard about this movie I was overflowed with excitement another princess for not only African American girls to look up to but girls of all races.

i love it mi name is Tiana 2!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT CAUSE MY NAME IS TIANA !!!!!!

i cant belive it my name is tiana and i cant wait to watch it

HI I’M TIANA AND NUMBER 28 STOP BEING RACIST BECAUSE I’M BLACK AND DON’T HAVE PROBLEM

I AM TIANA AND NUMBER 28 SYOP BEING SO MEAN!UGH!

you guys are ridcoulus!i’m a tiana and i can’t wait till the movie comes out and it doesn’t matter what color you are number28 loser!syke!

i just read this and i’m so ecited because my name is tiana and by the way tiana means fairy princess and it’s greek and russian also it’s a place somwhere in italy!yeah i no it’s sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

I can’t wait till she comes out because my best friend’s name is Tiana so we have to support the new black princess. IIIIIIIIIIIIIII CCCCCCCAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN”"”"”"”"”"TTTTTTTT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow some of you people are so ignorant… not every black person skin color is very dark! i know many full black people who are whiter than me and im mixed so shutup and choke on a ****

Queen kRISTIE @ 02/15/2009 at 4:43 pm

I am extremely happy that the Disney Folks have read my e-mails. I have been begging for a black princess since I was a little girl. I was tired of watching Disney portray a princess to be any other race except black/or of african descent. I need not touch on the subject of who was the first known princess as Team Lara Croft has already done so. I have raised my girls to honor their selves and to be polite young ladies at all times as a princess should. You can’t tell my 4 year old that she is not a princess! LOL.. I have also raised my children to not judge by color, but I am most happy that Disney has finally honored and added US to the Princess line up. I am a mother of two charming, beautiful, gorgeous black princess and applaud Disney for adding US so now my Princess can see themselves in Princess Tiana!
Thank you Disney!!!

House of Dead Wrong Dereon @ 02/24/2009 at 4:31 pm

I love Anika Noni Rose and can’t wait to see this movie.!!