Dennis Quaid: My Twins' Nightmare
Dennis Quaid and his wife Kimberly have spoken out for the first time since their newborn twins were hospitalized following an accidental overdose.
Quaid, 53, told the Los Angeles Times about their ordeal at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where their newborn twins Zoe and Boone were given an overdose of the blood thinner heparin in November.
Dennis on the hospital keeping them in the dark for hours about the potentially fatal medication error: “Our kids could have been dying, and we wouldn’t have been able to come down to the hospital to say goodbye.”
Kimberly on watching in terror as doctors and nurses hovered over their critically ill children: “They were in incubators with cords attached to them and monitors, and you could barely hold them. Every time you’d move them, the alarms would sound. . . . The stress was overwhelming.”
Dennis on the twins appearing to make a full recovery: “We have our babies back, and they seem to be doing great, and they’re just a lot of fun to be with. We really do feel that prayer saved them.”
Dennis on why they plan to start a foundation to promote patient safety: “When you go into a hospital, you become like a child, like an infant in a way. The names of the drugs, we can’t even pronounce. . . . We put complete trust, and we are so vulnerable like a child, innocent and vulnerable in a hospital situation.”
Read the full interview at LATimes.com.