Oprah Gets Her Own TV Network

Oprah Gets Her Own TV Network

The world’s richest woman in entertainment is about to get a whole lot richer–Oprah Winfrey is getting her own TV network!

Oprah is combining forces with Discovery Communications in a deal that would dissolve the Discovery Health network to create OWN — the Oprah Winfrey Network.

“The focus of the channel will be the focus of Oprah‘s brand, which is to educate and inspire people to live the best life they can,” said David Zaslav, Discovery Communications chief.

Kim Kardashian/Instagram

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All
nessababy @ 01/15/2008 at 1:22 pm

Good for her

1st :)

Congrats to Oprah.

ReserveResult.com

Vanessahudgensofficial69 @ 01/15/2008 at 1:29 pm

New pictures video http://hudgensboy.skyrock.com

I thought Oh! Oxygen was already a station she owned? Maybe I’m wrong!

Looks like I’ll never ever ever be first lol and Oprah Winfrey is getting her own TV network! good for her

She’ll become more biased. Priority to her is Black people.

CONGRATULATIONS Oprah!!!!

Mondo Bongo! @ 01/15/2008 at 1:41 pm

All personal feelings aside!!!!

I have to give it to the Lady she knows how to keep it moving..cheers!

Her very first show will be analyzing male behavior after the bionic woman. Is it passion for the lover aroused by the show or is it just plain rape. To date no one can answer the question until they can bionic woman may not return.

Intense lust or rape? Tune in to OWN. :)

Mondo Bongo! @ 01/15/2008 at 1:52 pm

Sheila….#6

What a stupid bias post…have you ever watched Oprah??? duhhh!!
or are you just blowing smoke up our ass to start a race thing???

I love people who keep working & improving the brand, ie.. Oprah, Madonna, Martha Stewart.

Sheila – She’ll become more biased. Priority to her is Black people.
***************
Obviously you know nothing about Oprah because she caters to white people. I only know 1 black person who likes her and watches her show (and I’m black).

Amber you are so right. I use to like watching her show, but now the only time I look at it is if one of my favorite celebs is on. and she is not as popular in the Black community as people would like to think. I give much props to her for doing her thing and being where she is today.

Sheila @ 01/15/2008 at 1:35 pm

She’ll become more biased. Priority to her is Black people.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can’t be a woman. Otherwise why such hatred toward another? Funny, Oprah has been criticized for hugging too many white people, giving breaks to Whites like Dr. Phil and Rachel Ray yet on the other hand, othe rpeople claim she is too Black. Get over yourselves.

WHy don’;t you do what she did? Sh egot off her ass after sexual abuse, teenage pregnancy to make something of herself. She is a Black woman from the South who pulled herself up to come from nothing to become a woman who is a trailblazer. You can bet your bottom dollar, a young Oprah was not sitting at home hating on other women. Instead, she focused on making herself a success. That, my friends, sets the little girls apart from the real women.

Whatever you think, Ms. O is at home couting her billions while you are on a blog hating on her. I don’t think she, her Montecito mansion, her private jets, her huge influence on Americans at large, her sheer mind boggling intelligence and wit could give a rat’s ass what you think of her. THAT is why she is a success. Learn from it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, you are the voice of Black America, huh? Whether or not Black people accept Oprah (which they do in large numbers from what numbers tell us) she has changed the face of Black women in America forever. NO Black women can walk up to a newsroom and be told she can’t. No little black girl can ever dream of becoming a billionaire and be told it is impossible. No little black girl can dremam of her own network when just 40 years ago, you could not show a Black person on TV, and be told she can’t. Oprah proves Black women can. If Black people don’t accept her (as you falsely claim) so what? A successful Black person should not set out to get the approval of anyone, White or Black, instad you do what you believe despite! That is how one succeeds. Again, that is why Oprah is a Billionaire and you on a blog writing about her. She is smart enought to figure that out. You might learn a thing or two.

Team Lara Croft, she never said she was the voice of Black America so please stop trying to pick a fight where it’s not needed. All she said was that people think she’s this icon for all blacks when in reality, she’s not. That doesn’t mean that people aren’t impressed by where she’s gotten – they just don’t like her or relate to her, period.

And she didn’t say ALL black people don’t like Oprah, either.

Oprah, you keep on moving ok? never mind the naysayers and of course there are plenty of naysayers. The more $$$$$$$ the more naysayers, LOL!!!!

I love Oprah. I met her in September @ her show and she was very funny and nice to everyone. So I dont care what the haters say. She is using her fame to do something good in the world or at least she is trying to. Shes worked her ass off to get where she is today.

Awesome!! Get to spreadin’ some goodness!!

amber @ 01/15/2008 at 2:45 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You need to reread your Buddy’s post again and see the point she was making. Why even bring up the issue that nto all Black people accept Oprah? Why? When this is a blog about oPRAH GETTING HER OWN NETWORK. Bringing up race is a sure way to try to start something and that is what you and your buddy did. What does this have to do with race. And who deternines the number of Black people who support Oprah? Did your Buddy take a poll? This so reminds me of the time when I was a substitute Teacher (volunteer) in a predominntly African-American community and so many kids complained that when they went home to do their homework, listened to a certain kind of music or spoke a certain way, some of their peers said they were “acting white”. This idea that a Balck person’s success removes them from their community is bogus and inherently offensive. Oprah does not have to represent anybody but her own convictions. And many many many Black people like Oprah. You adn your buddy are clearly bitter as you have not figured out how to do what Oprah has done which is not focusing on any communitiy’s expectation or acceptance of you but rather what you want to achieve in your own lives. Your statements are full of it and now, backed up in a corner, you claim your buddy did not mean it. So I ask you: why bring up race in this thread? Did Jared make a remark about race in his post? Was this about race? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saying that Oprah does nto represent allBlack people is a way to bring race here. And you know it. If you are going to a closed minded idiot, at least be courageous and own up to it!

Team Lara Croft – again, you need to respond to what WE were responding too. Neither one of us brought up race, the poster I replied to ignorantly stated that Oprah’s just going to cater to blacks like she always does or some stupid stuff like that. I corrected that poster because the reality is SHE DOESN’T!!! If that’s offensive to you that she caters to whites more, that’s not my problem – IT’S THE TRUTH! Leave it to you to start assuming about other people’s lives. Honey, I’m currently in college, going on to grad school and will be starting my own magazine. I could care less about what Oprah or anyone else is doing. Hell, she gets props from me for making all her money. But I simply corrected a generalization. And not once did either me or Sinna say that we polled all black people and all black people don’t like Oprah – that was YOUR assumption. I said, I don’t know but 1 black person who likes her. And that’s the truth. Nowhere did I say she didn’t have black fans. Again, stop reading into things that aren’t there.

I rarely watch Oprah, I don’t need my information thorugh her or any talk show host. I believe I have a sound mind to do good judgement for myself. However I watched it a fewtimes out of boredom and I must say I was not impressed at all. She had a doctor on her show to talk about ‘******’ and related issues. i couldnot understant why she continuously kept saying ‘Vajayjay’ instead of ******? I mean is it a dirty word to her? if so why do an episode on it? or was she trying to be cute? A 2 year old mumbling so would be cute, not a 50 something mature woman. Another thing I noticed about her was that she was very dominating. Even though the doctor was the guest speaker, she barely allowd him to speak. Everytime he opened his mouth, after just a few seconds Oprah would take over and start voicing her own opinion and the poor doctor had to nod along and then it would be time for commercial break and back to Oprah again.

Frankly, it didnot seem like she was enjoying the idea of someone talking on her talk show who was not her. Or she doesnot notice such obvious things.
I am all for power to women, financial success for women etc. Well , I am not buing Oprah’s saint persona. She is a business person, a good person, but not definitely saintly.
I would not go aroung sleeping on thousands of dollars worth sheets, sending a private jet to pick up my cupcakes etc if I truly want to serve the poor and unfortunate. Its not just the way of a selfless person.
And I don’t buy what she preaches either. Goodlife? What goodlife? All I see is a hugely successful business woman who binges on food , gains 50 pounds, goes on unhealthy diets and then hires some fitness guru to lose it and its big news, the fitness guru is the new IT trainer etc.
Note to Oprah, just follow a normal balanced diet and move your butt you will be ok.

She is overrated,no doubt.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All