LeBron James is a Vogue Cover Model

LeBron James is a Vogue Cover Model

“Fashion” and lifestyle magazine Vogue put NBA superstar LeBron James on the April 2008 cover with Brazialian supermodel Gisele Bundchen for a peek into the world’s top models and star athletes.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Vogue’s basketball-supermodel pairing — YAY or NAY?

• Watch a trailer for Supernatural: Bloodlines- Entertainment Weekly
  • John Legend has a baby doppelganger- Huffington Post
  • Drake heads to a basketball game- Lainey Gossip
  • Sammy Braddy shows off her sexy lingerie - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 » Show All

I like king kongs post best. The others bore me, or am I just jealous? Please!!

Marcia white @ 03/22/2008 at 7:33 am

50 years of reading Vogue…best cover ever!

Sad if people can’t see this for what it really is. when is my people going to wake up and stop being used in this mannor.

looks like a remake of King Kong. Lebron looks like and escaped slave

I agree with # 5 and # 23

It has subtle racist overtones and because there are no REAL people of color in positions that make decisions (and no Andre Leon Talley DOES NOT COUNT), there was no one in the room to speak to this issue. I think this size and shape issue every March is going to become the token black issue, Jennifer Hudson’s shot last year was ruined having her mouth all open like “I am woman beast hear me roar”, and now Lebron looking like King Kong. If Vogue is going to continue to throw us a bone every March, KEEP your bone I’ll look for my fashionable black covers from Eb*ny and Essence. Thank you very much. At least the the white queens over at Mens Vogue use black men in a much more flattering fashion, and some would even say a bit tooo much. But then I think that speaks to their secret BIG BLACK D*CK sexual fantasies which are not really secret. Ok I’ll stop now LOL

darwinwasright @ 03/25/2008 at 8:55 pm

Is this an ad for the new “King Kong” movie?

What is the big deal? @ 03/26/2008 at 12:18 pm

This is just a portrait of the top basketball player and the top model. He looks like he does on the court. She looks like a model. We are making a controversy out of nothing. We have real issues in the world. This is not one of them.

HOSIE HOLOMON 3 @ 03/26/2008 at 1:08 pm

I am ambivalent about it. Gisele is, at best, a 7 anyway. They DO try to make Lebron look imposing though. He dresses great, and tthey wanna put him on here like this. Trust me, the days of that “King Kong” mess are OVER. We are not having to be like that, to get one like that. Look around… they love us! They (the Fay RAY-ish type)realized a long time ago that BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL..

hosie Holomon III
hosiespeaks@sprintpcs.com

Love the cover! They are both beautiful individuals.

COuntry ass white girl @ 03/26/2008 at 5:33 pm

I think that people need to get over themselves, they’re jus mad bc they arent on the cover of a magazine. His mouth being open expresses his personality bc that’s how he plays in a game. People are overractin and takin it too far. This cover is by no means being racist! So if you dont like the cover then dont buy the magazine!!

COuntry ass white girl @ 03/26/2008 at 5:45 pm

People needa stop raisin hell bout this cover its tha way he is, its his personality… Its not racsit, so if yall got such a problem with it dont buy tha damn magazine!!

IMHO, it’s a great cover, and I don’t find it racist at all.

I think this cover photo is terrible. It doesnt’t flow. Lebron has his mouth open and is bulk up like he’s ready for game and Miss supermodel looks like she’s going for a night on the town.

The cover is so terrible man. Can you say Beauty and Beast!!!

I don’t like the cover, it’s confusing it does not reflect the real concept.

I does look like sports Illustrated.

I mean James looks so agresive he should have smile, and he holds Gisele very posesive.

While Gisele is smiling very happy but it looks like she’s running. Why should she be running? From who and with that clothes on!!!!

Come’ on Vogue should have made a better cover than this, it look’s so cheap like a teen magazine or something like that.

lol

YOU WOULD THINK VOGUE was advocating kidnapping white girls the way some people are atwitter about its current cover with NBA star LeBron James looking fierce with his arm wrapped around the waist of the arm candy known as Gisele Bundchen. Might we be overthinking this?

Some people say the cover shot by famed photog Annie Liebovitz reminds them of King Kong with Fay Wray clutched in his monstrous arms. And if we were Barack Obama’s grandmother, I’m sure if we were standing on a street corner that we’d be frightened seeing the strapping LeBron lurching toward us. Then again, I’d feel the same way about any good-looking white dude. I’m old enough to know about sociopaths and Ted Bundy.

As for Gisele, well, I’d like to *****-slap the twig. And not because she’s promoting stereotypes on Vogue’s cover. First there’s that body; second, she has has dreamy Leo DiCaprio whisper secrets into her ears and slip other body parts into her snatch; third, now she’s shacking up with the Superbowl Pinup Tom Brady. Yea, she should definitely be ashamed of herself promoting such potent sexuality.

Check out …
http://www. CrabbyGolightly.com. Taking a dim view of celebrity media and power.

smacks of stereotype and racism.

Seems a bit sexist to me. What about a cover with a male model and a female athlete?

jadehaughton @ 03/29/2008 at 8:39 pm

raquel zimmerman!! now thats a model! have u seen her sport/fashion spreads inside the magazine? way better than gisele’s!

It does look wild. It’s movement, not a static photo. Good idea.
Plus, if anyone notices, it’s Lebron doing a Muhamed Ali. There
is humor in this shot. You crabby people out there. I know we’ve
had George Bush for 7 plus years but, you do remember humor
don’t you?

If you want a REAL opinion on this “controversy,” click on my name to go to “andinlocalnews.com” and read the first post.

I dont feel the cover is intentionally racist but i would have expected someone of leibovitzs calibre to be a little less ignorant to the images possible interpretations. Im not particularly offended but arguing that it has been overscrutinised is unfair- perhaps if vogue had made more effort to represent diversity over the years then people would be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt…

on another issue, all male athletes and female models? … but i guess all publicity is good publicity to vogue.

Well….Vogue got the reaction they were looking for and I’m sure they knew what they were doing.

WAKE UP PEOPLE. Human beings are dying around the world and we need to focus on fixing that problem.

For those of you saying that Kobe Bryant would’ve been a better choice, let’s NOT forget what a horrible role model he is: an admitted adulter and accused of sexual assult.

OK, Lebron does that every time he dunks. I guess I can see king kong, with the white girl in his arms, but I don’t think it was intentional, and to be in an outrage by it is just ridiculous, they look like they are having fun, and it is eye catching.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 » Show All