Celebs Speak Out on Same-Sex Marriage Ruling

Celebs Speak Out on Same-Sex Marriage Ruling

Celebrities are speaking out on the decision by the California Supreme Court to overturn the state’s ban on same-sex marriage. Here are just what a few of the he movers and shakers of the LGBT community had to say:

Ellen Degeneres: “I’m thrilled that the California supreme court overturned the ban on gay marriage. I can’t wait to get married. We all deserve the same rights, and I believe that someday we’ll look back on this and not allowing gays to marry will seem as absurd as not allowing women to vote. P.S. I’m registered at Crate & Barrel.”

T.R. Knight: “Our ‘certain inalienable rights’ are protected today. It makes me proud to live in a country that works to correct its sins.”

Melissa Etheridge: “I feel they have made an honest woman of me. What a wonderful blessing for us and the gay community. We’re moving forward. It makes me feel happy for the whole human race that we are finally getting out of our differences and coming together and we are putting this all behind us.”

Chad Allen: “I have to say I was completely shocked at the level of emotion of my own reaction. It’s not that I didn’t care, it’s just that I didn’t know that I cared that much… I’m thinking about getting married. I am in love with my partner, deeply madly in love with him, and though I am not ready to propose yet, it is in there.”

To read more celebrity reactions on California’s same-sex marriage ruling, visit Advocate.com.

Photos: WENN
Posted to: Chad Allen, Ellen DeGeneres, Melissa Etheridge

Jamie McCarthy/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All

umm ok? and first comment! :)

mililikies @ 05/15/2008 at 10:25 pm

Yay! Equal rights!!!!

I personally think this shouldn’t have passed.

Conspiracy theory?? @ 05/15/2008 at 10:27 pm

hmmm … plot to get Brad and Angie to marry in the US :)
They’ll get married when ……….

i think its good what there doing but its kinda against my religon

Congrats to the california gay community. I believe in equal rights for all and i support your right to marry :)

Good…finally somewhere where people have equal rights…after all this is America..all created equal….although this is personally against my religion lol

an interested pary @ 05/15/2008 at 10:37 pm

This will never play in flyover land. We may have a civil war over this issue.

#4 uuhhh i personally think we don’t care…

i’m glad everyone is speaking out now that it passed, but we didn’t hear a peep out of any of these people when we were fighting for it to begin with, i hope these celebs will be more vocal against the proposed amendment ban coming up this november,,,

bottom line is you don’t have to be for gay marriage, your religion doesn’t have to approve it, but what people need to recognize is that you don’t have the right to tell other people how to live their lives based on your personal beliefs…it goes against everything america stands for

what if fundamental catholics told the world we couldn’t use birth control? or FLDS’s made everyone marry at the age of 15? just because christians have more power in this country doesn’t mean they have the right to tell gays they can’t marry just because its what their religion says…

I finally feel like an equal human being

i’m so happy for the LGBT community and california (: and ellen degeneres is so funny

wow number four how ignorant are you

WOW how cool will it be to see Ellen get married to her beautiful partner.

It is great news for gay people as well as supporters of equal rights.

It should be legal everywhere.

Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex and started having sex with other women. In the same way, men stopped having natural sex and began wanting each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.

People did not think it was important to have a true knowledge of God. So God left them and allowed them to have their own worthless thinking and to do things they should not do. They are filled with every kind of sin, evil, selfishness, and hatred. They are full of jealousy, murder, fighting, lying, and thinking the worst about each other.

That is straight out of the Bible. Romans chapter 1 verses 26-29. It is wrong to be gay. This is because it goes against everything that the One who created you, the One who sustains you, the One who died for you, the One who loves you so much that He gave everything, just so He could be with you in heaven stands for. Nobody is born gay. It’s a trick that the devil plays on people to lead them astray, and there will be punishment for people who fall into this trap. In Leviticus it says that the man who lies with other men’s blood shall be on his head.

number 4 — I agree with you.

This is magnificent news. I am very straight but i support gay marriage 100%
This is a milestone for America.

Oh no here we go with the religion trip.
hmphmmm
people can be naturally gay
look at animals
i had a bi-sexual dog for crying out loud!
My uncle is gay and he is one of the most incredible people i know. is he evil because of who he chooses to love and be intimate with? He has never done anything to anyone and it is sad we are living in a society with such mentality. According to what you are saying my uncle is a sinner? a very successful,cultured, interior designer is a SINNER cause he is gay?
It’s cruel!

Don Corleone @ 05/15/2008 at 11:09 pm

#5 Are they copying Charlize Theron and Stuart Townsend now? Just when I thought they couldn’t get more lame.

You know what? I am tired of these people who call themselves Christians and quote the bible and say that God hates homos…but skip over the verses that say Jesus came not to condemn but to save…oh and remember the big one…the one Jesus said was the BIGGEST one? Remember that one? LOVE ONE ANOTHER…most people seem to have forgotten that one…….

# 14 – agreed. It is a sin.

Oh and another thing…these celebrities were ASKED by The Advocate for their opinion…so there’s no point in getting upset with them after all we are giving our opinion too…. good night all :) Sweet dreams…lol

You gotta admit the straights aren’t doing such a great job with the sanctity of marriage as it is.

FINALLY! i think this is great. for those who are against it, and #14, seriously, have an open mind. i think God loves homosexuals no matter what. they are PEOPLE

ellen’s a lesbian? o___o
i didn’t know that.

first and last post @ 05/15/2008 at 11:31 pm

re: #14 taylor @ 05/15/2008 at 11:00 pm
one’s sexual orientation does not determine if you are a “good” or “bad” person…that is all that matters as we share this earth together and God in his sophistication understands that…why can’t you?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Show All