Jennifer Hudson - "Spotlight" Lyrics

Jennifer Hudson -

Here is the brand spanking new “Spotlight” cover for the debut single from Jennifer Hudson‘s upcoming album. “Spotlight”, which was written and co-produced by Ne-Yo, impacts radio June 9 and will be digitally available at iTunes on June 10.

It’s a track that doesn’t really showcase Hudson‘s vocal range, which made her such a hit on American Idol and Dreamgirls. But it should still do well on radio. What do you think??

Listen here (YouTube), here (Quicktime) or here (Windows Media). Check out the lyrics below and feel free to make corrections in the comments!

Jennifer Hudson – “Spotlight” Lyrics

Are you a man who cherishes and cares for me?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Are you a guard in a prison, maximum security?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Do we stay home all the time cuz you want me to yourself?
Or am I locked away, had a feeling that I’d find someone else

[Chorus]
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Just because you think I might find somebody worthy
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Baby if you treat me right, you won’t have to worry

____ relationship, fulfilling your needs as well as mine
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Or is this just my sentence, am I doing time?
If this is love, real, real love, then I’m staying no doubt
But if I’m just a prisoner, then I’m busting out

(Chorus)

Oh, you oughta be ashamed of yourself
What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Loving me, loving me, so _______
Baby, all I do is try
To show you that you’re my one and only guy
No matter who may come along
Open your eyes cuz baby I don’t lie

(Chorus x2)

• Who is Fun. frontman Nate Ruess dating?- US Weekly
  • Ray J is being charged with 10 crimes- TMZ
  • The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman addresses pregnancy rumors- Gossip Cop
  • Louie has been renewed for one more season- Entertainment Weekly
  • Miley Cyrus is the latest victim of an internet death hoax- Huffington Post
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Genevieve Morton shows off her sexy bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

yea jhud! keep them coming!

I love her voice…

nikomilinko @ 05/19/2008 at 8:04 pm

I think that i´ll buy. I love her singing.

cute_shopper @ 05/19/2008 at 8:20 pm

that missing lyric – “or am i locked away” ????

this song’s catchy … i like it!

The intro sounds like Bleeding Love sped up…Ne-Yo, Timbaland…SO overrated…all of their stuff sounds the same/rip off of someone else….

I agree with R, it reminds me of Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis and the beginning sounds more and more like No One by Alicia Keys

gwadastyle @ 05/19/2008 at 8:52 pm

HELL TO THE NO

go jhud she is amazing i love her!

no thanks, I really cant stand her voice.

this is great. it reminds me of stephanie mills.

It’s really boring.

I generally hate her but this song is good.
She’s not screaming!

Talk about lame. She’s better than this.

Love Hudson! Her voice is so refreshing good that I will listen to any thing she sings. However, my favorite music of her is still her “Dreamgirls”. And I bought the CD. Really love her voice. I think it is a worthy add to anyone who enjoyed the music: http://dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=103915&ru=279 , Gotta Love her!

Chicago Represent! This Russian News chick Angelina is from Chicago too: http://digitalfuntown.squarespace.com/dft-blog/2008/5/16/dft-news-episode-4.html

lyric corrections:
1st line:
Are you a man who LOVES and cherishes and cares for me?
1st blank: IS THIS relationship …
2nd blank: so WRONG

amazing how many people making hating comments on here who no one would pay to have them even sing in the shower!
Some songs are always better than others, but respect the artist — and yourselves — people.

Sounds exactly like Jordin Sparks.

Love the song it great! Grows on me everytime I here it!

“Or am I locked away, had a feeling that I’d find someone else” should be : “Or am I locked away, out of fear that I’d find someone else”

I think you can also download the whole album at Whogivesashit.com

Glad her music is finally coming out

People need to quit hating! This song is hot!

Kelis Jones @ 05/26/2008 at 11:44 pm

LOVE THIS SONG!!!…… I FEEL EXACTLY WHAT SHE IS SAYING!!!

Jennifer Hudson – “Spotlight” Lyrics
Are you a man who cherishes and cares for me?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Are you a guard in a prison, maximum security?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Do we stay home all the time cuz you want me to yourself?
Or am I locked away, had a feeling that I’d find someone else
[Chorus]
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Just because you think I might find somebody worthy
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Baby if you treat me right, you won’t have to worry
Is this a relationship, fulfilling your needs as well as mine
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Or is this just my sentence, am I doing time?
If this is love, real, real love, then I’m staying no doubt
But if I’m just love’s prisoner, then I’m busting out
(Chorus)
Oh, you oughta be ashamed of yourself
What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Loving me, loving me, so wrong
Baby, all I do is try
To show you that you’re my one and only guy
No matter who may come along
Open your eyes cuz baby I don’t lie
(Chorus x2)

Jennifer Hudson – “Spotlight” Lyrics

Are you a man who cherishes and cares for me?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Are you a guard in a prison, maximum security?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Do we stay home all the time cuz you want me to yourself?
Or am I locked away, had a feeling that I’d find someone else
[Chorus]
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Just because you think I might find somebody worthy
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Baby if you treat me right, you won’t have to worry
Is this a relationship, fulfilling your needs as well as mine
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Or is this just my sentence, am I doing time?
If this is love, real, real love, then I’m staying no doubt
But if I’m just love’s prisoner, then I’m busting out
(Chorus)
Oh, you oughta be ashamed of yourself
What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Loving me, loving me, so wrong
Baby, all I do is try
To show you that you’re my one and only guy
No matter who may come along
Open your eyes cuz baby I don’t lie
(Chorus x2)

lovemusic @ 06/25/2008 at 8:35 am

Love the song!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this song, it may not be showing her vocal range, but it doesn’t have to, we all know she can sing her ass off. its catchy. i hope it does good

She does sound anything like Jordin Sparks. And she can scream any time she get ready in her music. Ne-yo wrote a wounderful song,n he picked da right one 2 sing it. N it dont matter if she did or didnt still a scene from Dreamgirls. She making money. So all u haters can hate. There r times when u have 2 scream n it was her time. She has a strong n incredible voice 4 high notes so she needs 2 use it. Dats my gurl J Hud. Keep doin’ ur thing. “U just do u,n umma do me, umma do me…lol”

i luv the sonfg and J.Huds voice luv it …but the lyrics rnt on point in alot of points…BUT I LUV THE SONG…ALOT

Are you a man who cherishes and cares for me?
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?
Are you a guard in a prison, maximum security?
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?
Do we stay home all the time cuz you want me to yourself?
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?
Or am I locked away,out of fear that I’d find someone else
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?

[Chorus]
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Just because you think I might find somebody worthy
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Baby if you treat me right, you won’t have to worry

is this a relationship, fulfilling your needs as well as mine
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?
Or is this just my sentence, am I doing time?
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?
If this is love, real, real love, then I’m staying no doubt
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?
But if I’m just a prisoner, then I’m busting out
Is that you? Is that you? Is that you?

(Chorus)

Oh, you oughta be ashamed of yourself
What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Loving me, loving me, so wrong
Baby, all I do is try
To show you that you’re my one and only guy
No matter who may come along
Open your eyes cuz baby I don’t lie

(Chorus x2)

ppl plz dont hate… this song is the meaning of awsomeness… go jennifer gurl keep up the good work….luv luv luv it!!!

What is this?..Hatas r us?? Yaw some hatas this song is BOMB.

whoeva tommy iz dat said something bout ha being a fat cow 1st of all nigga she makin moe mulah den u can think of 2nd of all yo mama a FATASS COW BYOTCH…………..IM OUT OF HERE PEACE

HATERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ EVERYWHERE DAMNNNNNNNNN STOP RIDING HER CLIQUE

you inspire me . love the image, love the style, and girl, you have the voice whileyou are confidence and showing conviction. you’ve got

it …keep on keeping on… ( :

lovin the song

I love this song and i thought I wouldn’t.

Her song is amazing and all of ya haters need to fall back cuz none of ya lames is makin money…and before u say somethin about me I got 2 cars and about to be head of my homies car dealership….spotlight is da **** and she be heard everywhere

Ligghts Out @ 07/26/2008 at 2:03 pm

**** all you people that hate on her !
she is a beautiful woman with a Great voice !
Now with words coming from those who hate on her !
you`s deffinitly deserve to be Under her spotlight !
And those who agree with me ! Atleast yous Have brains =]
Much love to them peoples And Jennifer Hudson ! , wish i could Be like You jennifer

jennifer hudson itz so fine and if u dont think that to bad

damn!!! jen got some real HATERS!! half of yall lame b****es can’t hold a note to save your damn life. don’t get mad cause she can blow. keep doing whatcha doing. cause you gots to be doing something right to have all these b****es HATIN!!!

I LIKE THIS BUT IT HAS A LITTLE WRONG IN TH LYRICS IN THE FIRST STANZA BUT ITS GREAT I LOVE IT!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can bet all the haters that left rude comments can’t sing half as good as j hud. i don’t care wat others say, this song is hot and so is j hud. ppl say she is fat but wat y’all need to kno is that “slim” does not mean beautiful. j hud is beautiful just the way she is. keep up the good work jennifer.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! THIS SONG…

However, ya’ll lyrics are incorrect:S… c’mon!

*****
Are you a man who loves and cherishes and cares for me?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Are you a guard in a prison, maximum security?
(Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?)
Do we stay home all the time cuz you want me to yourself?
(Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?)
Or am I locked away, outta fear that I’d find someone else
(Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?)

[Chorus]
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Just because you think I might find somebody worthy
Oh, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Baby if you treat me right, you won’t have to worry

Is this relationship, fulfilling your needs as well as mine
(Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?)
Or is this just my sentence, am I doing time?
(Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?)
If this is love, real, real love, then I’m staying no doubt
(is that true x3)
But if I’m just a prisoner, then I’m busting out

(Chorus)

Oh, you oughta be ashamed of yourself
What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Loving me, loving me, so wrong
Baby, all I do is try
To show you that you’re my one and only guy
No matter who may come along
Open your eyes cuz baby I don’t lie

(Chorus x2)

If you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all. Thankyouy. I luv this song it is so true to certain women. Keep doing yo thing jennifer.

lovin this jam!!! at first i thouht it was jordan sparks…

hats off to all involved in makin this hit.

Stephanie @ 09/19/2008 at 2:50 pm

I think that whoever posted this should have gotten the lyrics correct.

Stephanie @ 09/19/2008 at 2:59 pm

Correct Lyrics are CAPITALIZED

Are you a man who LOVES AND cherishes and cares for me?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Are you a guard in a prison, maximum security?
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Do we stay home all the time cuz you want me to yourself?
Or am I locked away, OUT OF FEAR that I’ll find someone else

[Chorus]
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Just because you think I might find somebody worthy
Well, I don’t like living under your spotlight
Baby if you treat me right, you won’t have to worry

IS THIS relationship, fulfilling your needs as well as mine
Is that true? Is that true? Is that true?
Or is this just my sentence, am I doing time?
If this is love, real, real love, then I’m staying no doubt
But if I’m just LOVE’S prisoner, then I’m busting out

(Chorus)

Oh, you oughta be ashamed of yourself
What the hell do you think you’re doing?
Loving me, loving me, so WRONG
Baby, all I do is try
To show you that you’re my one and only guy
No matter who may come along
Open your eyes cuz baby I don’t LIKE

(Chorus x2)

Love this jam

Give me this song anyday over all the other hot mess crap on the radio. hot song! It reminds me old r nb when it was good and had good lyrics.

i love this song i just love her everything amazing about jennifer hudson and she is the perfect rple model

i love this song i just love her everything amazing about jennifer hudson and she is the perfect role model

YA and R do have a point it does kinda sound like bleedin love btw big ups 2 leona lewis u go gurl.but i absolutley luv j hud she is prolly as gud as it gets rite next 2 my gurls rihanna beyonce and alicia keys they are the bomb jennifer simon is a lonley old british hermet at wuz hatin dats all i gotta say :)

I think Jennifer is great. Her voice is beautiful. Haters stop hating.

You have to love her. **** I did but when she come alive **** that she know how to sing her ******* heart out. My bad enough with that ****. I love you Jennifer Hudson.

I love her. Yah people need to quit hating. Just because she can sing. If yah can sing then I will shut up. You can’t cuss up on this *****. Crazy. People be quiet. Because she can sing doesn’t mean that you can sing. She be sounding better then Jordin Sparks. She takes singing lessons. J. Hud doesn’t have to. She come out right. You know

lovely crayzee capricorn @ 10/06/2008 at 11:38 am

jennifer hudson is doing tha damn thing. she is living a dream. all you haters are an illness that she doesnt need. baqk back. Anywaysz this song i hawt i love it. i sang it for talent show and won 1st place so thanx jennifer haha lolsz. Keep doing yur thang and represent Chitown cuz we lubb ya baby gurl

**iREPSZ MA S3LF**

I dnt lyk her but this song rocks!

TREAVORLVR08 @ 10/10/2008 at 11:10 pm

I think thissong reminds me of my ex-boyfriend Austin Myers because he control me and got mad at me for everything,and I didnt want to live ynder his “Spotlight” anymore. Now i’m happy with my boyfriend Treavor Norman=-] my everything.

lil,snicka @ 10/22/2008 at 12:55 am

mane it’s sholl alot of hataz hatin on her singin dey just mad cuz dey can’t get lyk her n never will b her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love what u do what with your music i just love it so bad

loving the song

I can relate 2 this song… My man is locked ^ seriously sometimes he makes me feel this way like im a prisoner. Idk wut 2 do if I should stay or leave?

babygirl52543 @ 10/27/2008 at 1:31 pm

Jennifer hudsons the sheeetttttttttttt! I love her freakinqq voicee.. And spotlight is such a beauitful songg.. She did her thanggg..

brianmadmidge @ 10/27/2008 at 9:07 pm

am I misyaken or is this not a remake of a popular song of some 25 years ago or more?

mislene jean @ 10/28/2008 at 10:46 am

hey dude

I love this song sooo much,

It`s My favourite

it a very nice song i say thumbs up.

I love the song i sing it all the time to my man!He loves me to sing to him anyway it describes my marriage that i am bout to be out of Soon! I Love It! I love all her music!

she is talented, n rocks big tym.congratulations on a job well done jennifer

this song is good i love it

Jennifer can blow ne yo u got it going on this song the best Im still learning the words lol keep up the gd song.

D_Nastiest @ 12/12/2008 at 1:52 pm

JENNIFER PPL GON HATE BUT KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO BEST AND THATS SING YOU ARE THE BEST MY WHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLEEEEEE FAMILY AND ALLLLLLL MY FRIENDS LOVE YOU….. STAY PRETTY KEEP YOUR HEAD UP………….. WE GON FIGHT IS A BEAUTIFUL SONG AS WELL AS WHAT’S WRONG (GO AWAY)

i think she sounds great l just love the song whoever dont like this song is mad u dont know how long it tkes to write a song or to make up one people put what the feel into it they express them self i just love all her song but my favorate one with her in dream girls is one night only.

i love that song that is my friends favorite song when ever i here that song i think of my friend

HEY this song is mint i love it to bit Jeniffer is well gd singer so whoever says that she anit wat don’t there go to American idol then n see

OMG ! Great voice ! Shes my idol ! I reacon i think i sounds like her , Haah , but other people dont think i do
xD . HAHAHAHA ! Love ya voice

She’s not saying Is that true.
She is saying Is that YOU

l0vn_lif3-AS_It-is @ 05/14/2009 at 2:25 am

Love hur singing

allison hunter @ 05/15/2009 at 9:58 am

@brianmadmidge: THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING, THE WORDS COULD BE DIFFERENT, AND THE NAME, BUT I KNOW I HAVE HEARD THAT MELODY IN MY PAST!

it is not Baby , it is maybe if you treat me right

Are you kidding me , I think Jennifer Hudson is one of the most amazing singer you could ever find in the world.
Her voice is so powerful. And when she sings she sings with passion.
I am a singer myself and I have already sang one of her songs the one from dream girls .
‘One Night Only’. I just love her . Peace out and One love fr Natasha in Jamaica