Matt Damon is Rugby Ready

Matt Damon is Rugby Ready

Matt Damon walks to the set of his new movie, The Informant, in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

Earlier this month, it was announced that Matt will play the role of Francois Pienaar, captain of South Africa’s 1995 World Cup-winning rugby team, in a film called Human Factor. Shooting will begin early next year in South Africa and Clint Eastwood is directing. The film is a look at life for Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) after the fall of apartheid in South Africa during his first term as president.

Damon and wife Luciana Barroso‘s 2-year-old daughter Isabella Damon turned two yesterday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ISABELLA!

matt damon rugby ready 01
matt damon rugby ready 02
matt damon rugby ready 03
matt damon rugby ready 04
matt damon rugby ready 05
matt damon rugby ready 06

Credit: Andrew Shawaf; Photos: PacificCoastNewsOnline
Posted to: Matt Damon

Christopher Polk/Getty

ElenaBelle @ 06/12/2008 at 3:25 am

Did he have to gain weight for the role?,he looks a little pudgy!

he’s definitely gained weight..
not very good looking

VIP INFO :
nourris au cortisone sur forme liquide pendant un mois..

wow now I bet PEOPLE mag feels stupid to choose him as sexiest man alive.

Please let it be that he HAD to gain weight for this role. Not a good look.

He was a little heavy in the last Bourne movie too. He may have deliberately gained weight for The Informant, but he’s starting to show the effects of age.

wow finally a film about the best sport in the world: rugby!! :)

Yeah! Go Springboks!…even though it’s a movie… ;)

Anastazia @ 06/12/2008 at 5:00 am

thankfully he looks like william shatner. nothing wrong about it
except that less food and more work makes you look
just like me :P

He looks different. Did he dye his hair too?

He has a toupe and pleated dress pants… Even without gaining weight, pleats add pounds (I’m a woman!). He’s dressed up for a role.

Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad @ 06/12/2008 at 6:14 am

Yay a movie about rugby! :D

Who cares if he put on weight? He’s not there for you to oggle at.

The incredible edward! @ 06/12/2008 at 6:37 am

Really bad photos, but he looks like he is also under heavy make-up. Must be for the part…

I think he is in the character.

Did any of you ever see Christian Bale in “The Mechanist”? Or Matt Damon in “Courage Under Fire”? Both of them looked like junkies in those films. You would have not liked them.

They are not themselves anymore when they are in films. That’s what differs a good actor from a wannabe actor pretty boy!

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 06/12/2008 at 7:17 am

#3 – stupid ass question.

It says he is walking to the set of the film, so of course he is dressed for the role. His hair is done for the role, his clothes, the extra weight etc. It is all for the role….that is acting. You must separate the actor from their movie characters.

Rugby players are usually very muscular so lets hope it’s muscle and not just flab he has put on. If he has to wear a short sleeved shirt and shorts in the movie we’ll soon see if he has bulked up.

*rien+

I was truly shocked when I saw Christian Bale in The Machinist. He was so painfully thin and had lost so much weight to play his role.

The incredible edward! @ 06/12/2008 at 8:14 am

Can’t you ppl READ?
It says that rugby film will start shooting next year!
This is from “The Informant”…

#22 Raichill

We should have seen it together! I was shivering the whole time to see him like that. And when he finally was able to close his eyes and sleep, oh, what a relief! I am not sure how many packages of tissues that I used that night….

original jpf @ 06/12/2008 at 8:50 am

My guy Matt. Adore him. I wonder if he’s on the Paramount lot (or whatever lot ) and I ask this because I’ve seen not only Brad Pitt, Don Cheadle and George Clooney in photo’s with her, and I’m 100% positive it was during the filming of the last Ocean’s movie.

Did I mention I adore Matt?

jpf

original jpf @ 06/12/2008 at 8:51 am

^^^

“her” would mean the woman he’s walking with.

jpf

yuck, what happened? i used to love matt damon, but that was back in 2002. he has gained weight and is no longer good looking. oh well, hollywood has a vicious cycle of making the once good looking men ugly and bringing in new good looking men.

Good Grief Batman, is that Matt Damon. He’s chunky and has a wig on. Why, is he going bald???

he’s a fat ugly pig and I never liked him as an actor as he never seemed to be a genuine thespian and for hollywood to pay him so much money for his acting…..well I say ” DON’T BOTHER”

well guys, he is kind of old ya know

Yay SPRINGBOKS #2

Yes, the Rugby World Cup 2008 Champions :D

Can’t wait to see this one!

wow he looks really weird!

Happy Birthday Isabella! Curious when her brother or sister will arrive, also has to be sometime this summer I think. And whew, Matt looks a bit freaky in these pictures, i’m glad it’s just styling for the movie, he is so much hotter naturally. Looking forward to the South Africa movie, sounds interesting!

If you have a second to spare, I’d like to invite you to my new blog http://sunnykidstyle.wordpress.com/ about stylish design for kids :):) Today’s topic is Danish design!

I like Matt. Good actor and down to earth guy. Happy Birthday to his daughter Isabella!

OMG–did he have to gain 50lbs. for this role. He looks like crap!

Love Matt @ 06/12/2008 at 2:29 pm

I love him no matter what he looks like. :D In this instance, it is obviously for a role. He doesn’t look like this when he isn’t working.

postwatcher @ 06/12/2008 at 2:30 pm

Helly Tubby!

Blackworm @ 06/12/2008 at 3:09 pm

It’s very brave on Matt’s part to take on this role when he is the current Sexiest Man Alive. Good for you, Matt. I will be sure to see this movie!

Matt takes on many interesting roles.

He’s very fat! Is it because of the role?

Adoring Fan @ 06/12/2008 at 3:55 pm

Matty is the most underrated guy in the business. I can’t believe he hasn’t won an Oscar for his acting. He is a fantastic actor and an all around good guy. I have and always will love him to pieces. Happy bday to his little Isabelle and best wishes on the upcoming birth of his new baby. Did I mention that I love this guy no matter what character he portrays? He is a true artist with a heart as big as Texas. Love Love him. Lucy and I are not the only ones who think he’s sexy.

A rugby movie yay!

And just for the record, GO ALL BLACKS!!! I wonder how they will portray Jonah Lomu…and Marc Ellis haha

And seen I’m on a rugby train of thought…

GO CANTERBURY CRUSADERS!! Super 14 Champions yet again!

seriously some of you are completely stupid

HE GAINED WEIGHT FOR THE ROLE.

I’m sure when shooting is finished he will drop the weight again

Matt is a very fine actor.

get over yourselves

Matt is boring.

Looks pretty darned handsome to me.

acne_Bar_o_Soap @ 06/12/2008 at 11:24 pm

Oh My GAWD’….What an Fugly LARD A$$!!!!!!!

Looks Very Piggly!!!!

The incredible edward! @ 06/13/2008 at 3:19 am

@ 41
“And just for the record, GO ALL BLACKS!!! ”

LMAO!!!

I FUCKED MATT DAMON!

yes matt gained weight for this role and yes matt is still sexiest man alive. this guy is so dedicated to his art of acting he always goes overboard- he lost tons of weight in talented mr ripley and another in a earlier role. he doesnt care about his weight when it comes to his dedication to a movie. thats why this man wins academy awards and gets all the top roles because his loyalty to the character is 110%. i think he is the most professional actor of his time and the fact that he is secure enough with himself that he d gain weight to get into character even though hollywood is shallow to be thin shows he is even sexier to me

i don’t like matt i think he is ugly and a jerk

i don’t like rien or blackworm either

you is busted @ 07/17/2008 at 10:26 pm

i’m sure rien and blackworm are on matt’s payroll

他胖了,但也很帅

Wow!! Thats cool man..For me he is a good actor..just being himself- not like some others(kinda wana be’s). I think its a great idea making a Rugby movie! They’ve never made a Rugby movie before! Especially in south africa…i think its gonna be good publicity for the film industry of south africa! Come on guys-where’s your support !!!!!!!!!!!!!