Rafael Nadal Wins Wimbledon 2008

Rafael Nadal Wins Wimbledon 2008

Rafael Nadal holds up the Wimbledon trophy after winning his first title on Sunday, ending Roger Federer‘s five-year reign. At four hours and 48 minutes, it was the longest final in Wimbledon history.

Nadal, 22, prevailed after winning two sets, losing two sets and then finally winning fifth match at 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-7 (8), 9-7. He became the first man to win the French Open (also against Federer) and Wimbledon in the same year since Bjorn Borg in 1980.

After his winning match point at Wimbledon, Nadal fell to the ground and started to cry. He then pulled himself together and ran up into the stands to hug his parents and his uncle/coach Toni Nadal. Touching moment.

¡FELICIDADES, NADAL!

FYI: Venus Williams defeated younger sister Serena in straight sets: 7–5, 6–4. Together, they dominated in doubles over Lisa Raymond and Samantha Stosur: 6–2, 6–2.

85+ pictures inside of Rafael Nadal winning Wimbledon 2008…

who won wimbledon rafael nadal 01
who won wimbledon rafael nadal 83
who won wimbledon rafael nadal 84
who won wimbledon rafael nadal 85

Photos: Clive Brunskill/Julian Finney/Ian Walton/Getty
Posted to: Rafael Nadal

Getty
  • Channing Tatum is making a movie about his father's heartbreaking story - US Weekly
  • Did Prince have a prescription drug problem? - TMZ
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Empire - Gossip Cop
  • Shawn Mendes is dishing details on his new album - Just Jared Jr
  • Is Kylie Jenner buying Tyga a home? - Radar
  • This is Leonardo DiCaprio taking a selfie - Huffington Post
  • Beyonce kicks off her Formation World Tour in Miami - Lainey Gossip
  • Check out the complete list of TV pilots for the upcoming fall season - The Hollywood Reporter
  • Nadal fan

congrats rafa!You are the best!

• viva Rafa

Congratulations to a well deserved win!!

• ali

aww im happy 4 him. i was kinda sad coz i support federer but he played so well and the game was intense lol

• Shar

LuckyL @ 07/06/2008 at 6:07 pm

Sam @ 07/06/2008 at 6:04 pm

Thanks, LuckyL. I can see why people like Nadal, because it’s hard not to like him! He’s definitely the new wave, and he’s handling it beautifully; no arrogance or unnecessary rhetoric, just pure, good tennis. However, I have to agree with your sister. Federer just strikes some chord with me, probably because I’ve been watching him play for so long.
    __________
    I know, it’s so awesome. I know I have a thing for underdogs, so that probably plays into as well. They really are such awesome players, no one should be bad mouthing either, and as the announcers said, it’s really difficult to call what Federer did today a “loss.” LOL Björn Borg must be happy! Jk!
    ————————————————————————————-

# 35 LuckyL @ 07/06/2008 at 6:08 pm

I also enjoy the personality of Nadal and I love how his uncle trained him, just his entire history up to this point.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don’t forget, he’s also sooo fcuking sexy and beautiful to look at!!!!

• Shar

This is truely a great weekend first Venus, then Rafael Nadal, the two ppl I was rooting for won Wimbledon!!!!!! :) :) :)

• http://justjared.buzznet.com/2008/07/06/who-won-wimbledon-rafael-nadal/#comments Elle

ENHORABUENA RAFA!!!!!!

MADRE MIA QUE GUAPO!

What a final, this had everything as a tennis fan you could not have asked for more. Roger & Rafa are the greatest champions ever but Rafa has the complete package! My mother and I were just going crazy for him, the Reign of Rafa has finally begun not just the King Of Clay!

• Naomi

That was one of the best wimbledon finals. Congratulations to both Rafael and Venus. They really deserved to win, Federer gave a ggod game, though, and he’s still my favorite. All in all, it was a great wimbledon.

• naru

Congrats to Rafa, he is the best!!!
    España triunfa en el deporte este año!!!!
    Arriba Rafa Nadal!!

• truvy

I spent all day watching this match and was thrilled with the outcome. I can’t believe how into tennis I get, I get so nervous pulling for someone to win, it’s just ridiculous. I was cheering for Nadal and thought he was screwed after that 4th set, but I think him making Federer run all over the place the previous four sets took its’ toll and he just wasnt’ willing to give up. I actually felt bad for Fed, even though I’m sick of him winning everything. He cried and then I really felt horrible.

• eh

love him, but i love fed too.

• anna

well earned win from RAFA! It was the tightest match ever, and I am so thrilled with the outcome. Such great tennis.

Thanks Jared! WE love Rafa!

• Catherine

They are both winner, is a fact ;)
    But Nadal is just amazing. I love the way he play, and today he show that he was the winner.

Este es el año de Rafa, es un Campeón.

• vane

woowww RAFA!!!!!…asi se hace!!! >>>orgullosa de ser española<<<!!!

por fin le ganaste a fereder!!……RAFA NADAL EL MEJOR!!!..

campeones de la EUROCOPA y campeones de WIMBLEDON!!!:::PODEMOS

• Helena

He deserved it. Federer and Nadal came across as humble people!

• Orchid

33 Nice @ 07/06/2008 at 6:07 pm

Is it true that the French sporting press call him the construction worker because of his cut off shirts? I laughed when I read that. Congrats. He seems very happy.
    ——-
    I like the way he dresses. He looks great! Better than Federer, imo.
    This win was not a fluke. He was in the last two finals, and he won the French Open. He is superb.

• alina

he’s a fantastic athlete and one hawt man. those arms!! swooon.

• Awww

John McEnroe said it was the best Wimbeldon final that he had ever seen

• onmyown

Between my shift @ TU and this match ! – It was heart pounding ! Back and forth swapping between the best tennis champs in my lifetime. Jesus Mary !!!!!!!!!!!

After Nadal’s win @ the French Open, I thought Fed would just destroy him. OMG Nadal was just awesome. He was just out for blood ! Nadal wasn’t going to give Federer his 6th win, which would be a historical moment @ Wimbledon and for Roger Fed. The expression in his face was was heartbreaking. I guess this is what my Dad (in his generation) would say – AGONY OF DEFEAT !

Just RAW TENNIS – spectacular back and forth swapping, and won by the slimmest margin ! True Grit !

OH WHAT A NIGHT ! Here’s to Rafa and Spain.

• XxMANAxX

What a bold statement from John McEnroe. He just said Rafael Nadal is # 1 in his view.

• Orchid

68 onmyown @ 07/06/2008 at 8:35 pm

——-
    RN won 33 games to RF’s 29. That’s good.
    I don’t like it when people win a tennis match having won less games than the loser (like 2-6, 7-6, 7-6, for example). Those are the rules, but I still don’t like it.

• Africa

Was there and saw Nadal defeating Federer. THAT WAS GR8!!!
    Enjoyed every single sec of the game and Nadal more than ever deserved to win. Today we had one of the best tennis games in recent history. Glad they got to play 5 sets but my heart rate was very high. Parabens Nadal!!
    His speech was very touching, he is just great and slowly will get to the throne.
    Well done boy, Deus te abencoe!!!

• Hugo

Amazing Match Nadl played amazing best final i have ever seen Congrats Rafa

• not me

Congratulations to William sisters for a great cme back year. They kept the American flag flying high there.

• Megan

GAH! roger should’ve won!
    i’m so upset :(!

• betty10

i’m so happy rafa is great is the best vamos rafa and thank you

• misshollywood

more rafa nadal justjared!!!! he is sooooooo sexy!!! :-)

• Ali

bravo, bravo, bravo – what a beautiful spirit this guy has. Terrific game – really could have gone either way – but i think, in the end, Raffi deserved it, he fought soooo hard. Federer is an exquisite player, but the gods smiled on Raffi today. Bravo!!

• Xool

He should’ve taken his shirt off. It would’ve been the cherry on top of the cake. YUM! I wonder what he’s doing now? Probably thinking about me–his future wife. I wish! Go Rafa!

• kristupa

I am so happy Rafa win Wimbledon…otherwise I would have bad mood for several days…;P
    Vamos Rafa!!!

• Eme

RAFFFAAAA! Beautiful match. My eyes were watering… I couldn’t bare to look away. The intensity was phenomonal between them. Federer and Nadal are class acts on and off the court. Nadal’s win was well deserved. He’s so gracious and humble for his age…

This is only the beginning ;D

Thanks JJ for the pics! :D

• Tracy

Congrats Rafa!
    He’s so likeable and down to earth.
    I’m so proud of him! <3

• Alexamber A

CONGRATULATIONS TO NADAL!

What resolve for a 22 year old. Well deserved win!
    Feel disappointed for Roger, this win was very deserving of Nadal.
    Both are true gentlemen of the sport and where else to display such class as in Wimbledom.
    Such humility from him is amazing and he really touches my soul with it.

• lala land

Yaaa RAFA won !! finally someone differerent won like federer shouldnt be pisss off cos he won it like 5 times so he should share.

• lala land

• http://vamosbrigade.com Laura from Argentina

I am a huge fan of Rafa and what he did was just outstanding!

Rafael is the best player in my heart and this victory is by far the sweetest ever!

I hope you guys in the US would acknowledge Rafa’s heart for the game

• dina

That was by far the greatest match I had ever seen in my whole life.
    I’m a staunch Rafa fan, but at the end of it, I was rooting for both players cause both deserved a victory in that great game.

• Orchid

78 Xool @ 07/06/2008 at 11:19 pm

——-
    :smile: Beat all the tennis groupies who are throwing themselves at him. Better go to his matches then! You never know.
    When I first saw him play, he reminded me of a flamenco dancer. That face, that hair and those eyes. That intensity.

• Orchid

Did you all see the interviews afterwards.
    RF was quite down, of course. When the interviewer asked RN what he thought about it getting dark late in the match, he said, “that last game, I didn’t see nothing!” :lol:

• Orchid

Oops, I forgot! Jared, thanks for the wonderful pictures!!!

• Pepicah

Ese Rafa!!!!
    Qué partido!!!!!
    Madre mia, 5 horas enganchada a la radio (lo ponian en uncanal de pago), pero valio la pena

Rafa esta que se sale.
    Haciendo historia.

Los espanoles estamos reviviendo los titulos en blanco y negro para reeditarlos en color!!! (Eurocopa, Wimbledon, Roland Garros). Nos falta el Tour y la armamos!!!

Lo unico que me da pena es que con el tenis de Rafa no sea n°1, porque se lo merece.

Ahora, a por el Open de Australia y el liderato!!!!!!!!!!!

PD: Roger, buen chaval y buena persona.

• denise!!

What a match! Tjey both played amazing! Well deserved win!

• Alexamber A

For Cliniqua,

I don’t post much but I have to say your posts are the most informative, entertaining, articulate, passionate and loyal.

Is quite shocking that some of the fans have turn against you, I cannot comprehend why? We all have our quirks, and I think some of us are adults to agree and disagree with you. You are what you are, that’s why your post are the most fesity and passionate.

Please, don’t let others keep you from fighting for the JP’s, I am sure is most welcome by some.

Thank you for your time.

MAY THE UNIVERSE GRANT YOU, THE FANS, AND ESPECIALLY THE JOLIE PITT’S CLAN ABUNDANCE, BLESSINGS AND LOVE.

Collectively,

AlexAmber

• Maria

Enorabuena Rafa te lo mereces por todo lo que has trabajadoo!!!!

I´m Spanish, and, I´m very happy for Rafa, he is very humility

Congratulation RAFA!!!!

VIVA ESPAÑA!!!!!!!!!!

• zanessa forever

ole Rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    te lo merecias!!!

ARRIBA ESPAÑA!

• C@r

He is the best !!
    :) :)

viva España!! xdxd

• sunshine

Enhorabona Rafa! T’ho mereixes :)

• http://yahoo Yes

It was the best match ever!

Well Done Nadal :) :)

• Mark

Fantastic!

• Dan from the PHILIPPINES

I knew it was just a matter of time. Rafa has always been my favorite. I also like Roger Federer. Nothing bad about him. The only difference is that is more determined and hungrier because he is younger and World Number 2. I like his passion and persevearance. He deserved this fantastic win. Nevertheless, Federer deserves some credit also for defending the title with all his might. I don’t think this match would have been as great if one of them is not in the match. We want more of this pair up. Great players like them will always be remembered in the history of sports. More power Roger. Vamos Rafa!

• Ally

I’ve watched Wimbledon every year since I was a child and this was the best match I’ve ever seen. Congratulations to Nadal. Sad for Federer but well done to both for entertainment on a rainy Sunday in middle England.