Levi Alves McConaughey -- Matthew McConaughey's Son!

Levi Alves McConaughey -- Matthew McConaughey's Son!

Matthew McConaughey and longtime girlfriend Camila Alves named their son Levi Alves McConaughey, reports OK!

Matthew also took the time to explain how they came up with the name for their baby boy: “Levi was another name for the apostle Matthew in The Bible. They were, in fact, two names for the same person… Our son was born at 6:22 pm, and this particular time represents my favorite verse in the book of Matthew in The Bible: ‘If thy eye be single, thy whole body will be full of light.’”

As for the name Alves (Camila‘s last name), McConaughey explained, “We wanted to incorporate her family name.”

Matthew and Camila also released the following statement: “We welcome Levi Alves McConaughey into this wonderful life and look forward to living in it with him. In the mean time and all times, just keep livin’.” —Matthew David McConaughey and Camila Maria Saraiva de Araujo Alves

WHAT DO YOU THINK of the name Levi?

Photos: Kevin Winter/Getty
Posted to: Camila Alves, Celebrity Babies, Levi McConaughey, Matthew McConaughey

Getty

Congratulations to handsome matt and beautiful camilla. May you enjoy parenthood to the max, you’ll be exciting parents.

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wat kinda name is that

all i can think of is the jeans when I hear that name lol

all i can think of is the jeans when I hear that name lol

I like the name!!!! Good choice.

I think that’s a cool name!
Original i guess

I like it. It’s different without being weird like some other celebrity baby names.

Loved him as Lysant. Great Actors. Congratulations!

thats gonna be one smoking hot baby when he grows up

Congratulations to Matthew and Camila it’s a good name.

it’s also a jewish name.

I like the sound of it. Congratulations to both parents !

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 07/08/2008 at 5:41 pm

of course there will be one to two hippie hicks who’ll like the name. but that ish sounds stupid, to me.

poor levi, gotta grow up with a smelly doucheosaurus-rex as a father.

Levi is a biblical name. Levi was the fourth son of Jacob. His descendants became the Levites one of the tribes of Israel and also the priests in the Old testament.

i love that name and i think its so sweet they choose a name that has that kind of special meaning to them

jared doesn't like me @ 07/08/2008 at 5:59 pm

Levi is a great name! A lot nicer than Nicole Kidman’s baby daughter “Sunday”.t

I also like levi strauss

I love it! <3

Suri, Shiloh, Levi, Sunday Rose

ok Angelina…you can put sun and moon jolie-pitt

HAHA!!!!! LOL Rita, that was funny as hell….. well said……it’s kinda hilarious to see how celebrities fight to see who names his baby the most weirdly lol …… i don’t like sunday,nahla, suri, shiloh,..but it is THEIR babies so they can name it whatever they want to, nobody can attempt to judge, focus on your own life people….however, the opinion is acceptable, and i just want to say that i like the following names stella, honor, maddie and levi….HECK! those celebs want to be original and who can blame them? i know what i’m saying is kind of confused but i only mean, they TRY to be original but they most of the time FAIL….sadly…..but no one has the right to criticize them because i’m not sure your babies names are better! their will to be original often turns out to make a ridiculous choice, but once again they are the parents! and hey , no matter what y’all say and talk **** about ‘em, have you EVER considered the fact that they’re a million times WEALTHIER than y’all EVER be?? :D so back off!!

Levy is a Jewish name.. lots of them, including my brother. I like more as a second name as is my brother’s tough.

i also like the fact that giving that particular name has a special meaning to them….i’m sure they’ll be great parents..besides, they’re both amazingly gorgeous so this boy is going to be smoking hot when he grows up ! congrats anyway and enjoy that gift!

I like Levi Strauss,good jeans!

Levi ? Ridiculous name (but it’s just my opinion).

Lillianne @ 07/08/2008 at 6:35 pm

Love Levi. Love the thought behind it. Can’t wait to see the little guy and I hope he’s just as rambunctious as his daddy must have been.

Lillianne @ 07/08/2008 at 6:37 pm

I’m going with Cherry and Peach for the twins.

ace tomato @ 07/08/2008 at 7:00 pm

That names sounds right for Matteo’s son. It is very Southern to use the OT biblical names.

It’s a common name here in Brazil! I like it

looove the name it fits so well it’s unique but not weird like other celeb kids names

I kew he would mame his son a Christian/biblical name. He’s Irish Catholic and Camilla is Catholic also. It’s nice although Levi is sometimes known as a Hebrew name.

It’s a great name. I love the trend of Biblical names, like Levi, Shiloh & Moses. it’s like the old days…..

emanuella @ 07/08/2008 at 7:27 pm

It´s a common name in Brazil.

Not my favorite name, but I can understand it has special meaning for the parents. Hope we get to see some photos soon. With such a good-looking daddy and such a beautiful mommy, this is going to be one gorgeous baby.

The name is really not that uncommon, at least here in Texas. I’ve met a couple of people named Levi and my cousin named her son Levi.

Another douche bag in the making

LEVI??? only if it’s button fly not original.

Celeb watcher @ 07/08/2008 at 8:07 pm

great name

remember da truth @ 07/08/2008 at 8:17 pm

Don’t the ignorant people talking about jeans realize that Levi Strauss was the name of the guy who invented jeans?!?! It’s a very common name. Damn, way to show you never read or have any curiosity about life beyond Ali Lohan or Vaness Hudgens.

I’m so happy for them. That is one of the most beautiful messages I’ve read from happy parents. They soooo deserve this, a healthy baby boy, for such enthusiastic, loving parents.

Matthew is a strong name, and he gave his son a strong name like his. Too cool.

remember da truth @ 07/08/2008 at 8:20 pm

#29 yes, you are right, it’s a Hebrew name as they all were Jewish in the Bible first, even Jesus. Levi is a common enough name to be in the old and new Testaments.
It’s a great name by itself, but with all that personal meaning behind it for them, it’s even better. I’m glad you pointed out his strong Christian influences!

Also, it’s a Southern tradition to name the eldest son with the mother’s maiden name, so they did that, too. This is a well-thought out name, and totally reflects both loving parents.

At least is not a day of the week or a month or a fruit name.
Good choice .

Simple , beautifull and strong name, i like it very much.
Congratulations to the familly.

In Brazil we carry on the mother’s maiden name through life, some people evven keep after marry, both parents name.

Same as my ex-husband’s child’s name. hehhe…

Jammy Sod @ 07/08/2008 at 9:17 pm

another stupid f***ing name

casperrrr @ 07/08/2008 at 9:25 pm

lmao!!
alves thats my ***** of a deputy principals name (mrs. alves)

It’s a quite popular name in Brazil, like João (John) or Matheus (Matthew), Pedro (Peter) or Marcos (Mark). Biblical names are very common in Brazil, being the family religious or not. Since Camila is Brazilian, I was expecting a name that sound a bit brazillian… In portuguese, Levi sounds really beautiful!

Levi was one of Jacob’s sons: “The sons of Leah: Reuben, Jacob’s first-born, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun;” (Gn 35:3) and later, Levi’s family became the tribe of Levi, one of the twelve tribes of Israel.

The name has a lot of (good) meanings :)

levi? sounds jewish

^^^ @ Infamous

What do you have against Matthew? What is your problem? He looks better than your ugly Daniel Craig and his pimply face. He’s also looking cleaner than your other love, Brad Pitt who won’t put those hats down. Makes me wonder what kind of hair Brad Pitt is sporting where he has to cover it up constantly.

Congratulations to Matthew and his lady love. Levi is an excellent name, and it’s from the bible. Great choice.

Congratulations Camila

Levi is a beautiful (and normal) name in english and portuguese too. Good choice!

Welcome Levi! God bless you and your wonderful family.

*Parabéns Camila…Seu filho já deve ser lindo e o nome faz jus a ele. Simples, mas que está adequado a sua dupla-nacionalidade.
Boa escolha a sua.

Muita saúde ao pequeno Levi e que você traga logo sua linda família para conhecer o nosso país.

Lila
Brasil

its so messed up that though he picked a name from the bible and he seems so religious that he would go and have a baby out of wedlock!!

I like it, plus it’s got a great meaning to Matt and Camilla. Congrats!
btw, this summer’s just packed with Hollywood babies being born!

I love Levi. It’s unpretentious, cute, and won’t cause a kid to be made fun of on the first day of school. The kid has a good chance of being in show business and a Jewish link never hurts in Hollywood. Just ask Whoopy (Goldberg), the late Sammy Davis, Jr. (convert to Judaism), and others. And this is going to be one knockout baby. It’s a toss up with this one, Halle/Gabriel’s, Jessica/Cash’s or Brad/Angelinas as to which one(s) will be the best looking. I also like the names Shiloh, Harlow, and Honor. They are original without being weird.

Levisucksass @ 07/09/2008 at 3:20 am

This name sucks ass .Every actor/actress wants a Jewish name so they can kiss them jew suckers asses . THey own the word

Levisucksass @ 07/09/2008 at 3:29 am

WORLD**

He’s a bible thumper??? How embarrassing. Stupid.

wuh? @ 07/08/2008 at 11:11 pm ^^^ @ Infamous

Actually infamous despises Brad. He is the number one fan of Tom the Midget.

Poor you,
you use to say so stupid things!
Camila is a brazilian woman,and just for you to know, Levi is a very popular name here in Brazil, I’m also brazilian,so believe me! My advice to you: do a research before saying stupid things!!! Not against american people,once I’m an English teacher, but I’ve heard a lot of you saying that the capital of Brazil is Rio de Janeiro! Come on!

She is very ugly and looks poor. she looks like someone who was born to clean floors

All of you ignorant f**** can go eat a pile of Ho Hos from the 7-11.
Have any of you been to the south? Have any of you heard names that come from different cultures, etc?

By the way, Aline, racist much? She “looks poor” ??
WHY, because she has dark skin and should be “cleaning your floors”? Dumb ****.
God Bless them for NOT bringing another KEVIN or BRIAN or DEREK into the world!!

yeah… ahn… Levi not that common a name in Brazil… (just to set the record straight)…
as for Alves: its a relatively common last name in Brazil and it is the habit here that the child has both the mother’s and father’s last name, as in: Name (Levi) Mother’sLastName (Alves) Father’sLastName (McConaughey)

keithcindy @ 07/10/2008 at 6:13 pm

Ok…let’s just hope that these two can figure out that being sexy and having a baby might not translate into the best for this baby. I hope he can get off his a** and figure out that he doesn’t need to wait to have too enough money to buy the engagement ring (LOL).

Levi is a comom name here in brasil, not much people have this name but is normal. I personally don´t like but it means something and is from the bible, so i think its ok…. better than others suri, shiloh…etc

it isnt a common name here in Brazil….

what’s a common name for “gold-digger” in Brazil?

I have a son named Levi so I love it :)

I love the name! I wanted to call my son Levi, but then we settled on Fabian instead. Maybe the next boy…

It’s a very cute name.

“what’s a common name for “gold-digger” in Brazil?”
– certainly “shine”, like diamonds shine. “Brilhantes”…

Levi is a common name in Brazil yes. It’s beautiful and not weird. And we use our mothers’ name too. Good though from them both, I hope see Levi and his parents ’round here in Rio (I hope…).

By the way, Brazil’s capital is Brasília.

I love the name. As someone else said, it’s cool on its own, but even more so because it has meaning. (I like biblical names and as a born again Christian if I was having a baby, I’ll probably go with one too!)

Congrats to Matthew and Camila, God bless you & your baby!!

I love Biblical names. All three of my sons, James, John and David and my two grandchildren, Jordan and John have Biblical names. You can’t go wrong when you take a name from the Bible as far as I’m concerned and it’s good to know the religious side of Matthew too.

I think it is a nice name. My husbands name is Levi and he likes his name because it is fairly rare.

Good grief people. Levi is not an uncommon name at all and it certainly is not a werid one. They chose a wonderful name, congrats to them. That little boy will have a wonderful life because he has wonderful parents.

me me and me @ 05/02/2009 at 12:43 am

anon said, “It’s a great name. I love the trend of Biblical names, like Levi, Shiloh & Moses.”

If my name was Shiloh I’d kill someone.