America Ferrera: Gossip Girl Is Bad!

America Ferrera: Gossip Girl Is Bad!

Ugly Betty star America Ferrera covers the October 2008 issue of Seventeen, which hits newsstands on September 16th. Here are some interview highlights:

On being friends with Sisterhood costars Blake Lively, Amber Tamblyn, and Alexis Bledel: “One of the most wonderful experiences I’ve had with girl relationships was working with them on Sisterhood. I’d worked with other girls before and it was pretty catty. But this time, I thought, I don’t want to feel judged or defensive. So before we started shooting, I was like, I’m just going to show up to work and be professional – not their best friend. But a couple of weeks into shooting, Amber and I started talking. She’s a hippie and I thought we had nothing in common – and now she’s one of my closest friends!”

On Gossip Girl being a bad influence: “Close, genuine female relationships are not what generally gets depicted in movies and TV shows. Like, if you’re watching The Hills or 90210, all the backstabbing shapes the way we act – you go to school, and you think your job is to find a sworn enemy and be jealous of each other. I mean, I love Blake [Lively]; she’s a wonderful friend of mine, but shows like Gossip Girl kind of condition us to be mean.”

For more on America, visit Seventeen.com.

A&E

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All
BLAIR WALDORF :) @ 09/11/2008 at 5:14 pm

I don’t agree with her…but at least she’s honest….and i liked the fact that she didn’t make an excuse for what happened that time….i love gossip girl though…

I think she might be a tad jealous of Blake’s “it girl” status and the fact that Gossip Girl is the most talked about show of the moment. And no wonder she’s angry, she’s forced to wear braces, glasses and hideous outfits week after week for her show. I think I’d be mad too!

ILUVamericaferrera @ 09/11/2008 at 5:17 pm

America you look beautiful!!!

If you condition your life based on the tv shows you watch, theres a much bigger problem, I like to believe people are smart enough to separate gossip girl from their reality and how to behave

i love gossipgirl!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else think that people are going to link this back to the “eye-rolling” thing before?

Blake might get a little offended by it, but I think it’s cool that she’s honest. Not many celebrities are nowadays.

maybe this is why she was rolling her eyes during that interview LOL

I think its great America spoke up about the series, even if her friend is on it. Life is not made to be like television.

i agree with her, i never watch gossip girl but every time i do, they all come off as *******, and girls think “i love blair, i want to be like her”, blake is a good actress though

i like that she is being honest but i agree with comment #4. if you are a person with at least a few morals you should be able to recognize the difference between a tv show and real life. if we have people actually doing certain things we see on gossip girl…that might be a little out there. so in the end i dont agree with ferrera. gossip girl is an amazing show!

Do you know what else is bad? That cover!

shenanyginz @ 09/11/2008 at 5:44 pm

i totally see where she’s coming from… and its certainly has some truth to it. Television shows particularly geared toward teenage girls are almost ALWAYS about backstabbing ******* and what not… I personally don’t pay much attention to those shows (but I can’t say I watch Ugly Betty either) I do however love America’s effort to shift whatever idea of teenage girls television is giving us down a positive route.

i like that she’s honest and I mean come on it’s her on opinion, not everyones gonna like the show. And her opinion on it is perfectly fine because it’s just that. An opinion.

she’s jealous ……… just think:
serena vander woodsen= nice outfits, gorgeous, rich, nice, etc.
betty suarez= braces, HIDEOUS outfits, ugly, not rich, etc …

I MEAN, I WOULD BE JEALOUS TOO, AND BESIDES, GG IS LIKE THE MOST TALKED ABOUT SHOW!

OMG! America looks great! She really looks like she lost weight in this pic!

Cleopatra Mumra @ 09/11/2008 at 5:52 pm

She looks like Sibi Blazic here

SHE IS SO FAT AND UGLY!!! @ 09/11/2008 at 5:55 pm

SHE IS BEYOND JEALOUS OF BLAKE!! THE ONLY REASON SHE IS ON ABC IS BECAUSE THEY NEEDED AN UGLY LATINA TO PLAY THE PART AND SHE NAILED THAT ROLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A REAL ACTRESS WOULD NEVER CRITICIZE ANOTHERS SHOW!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!! ESPECIALY ONE THEY HAVE WORKED WITH BEFORE AND ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT’S BEING A JEALOUS *****!!!!!!!! WHO’S THE MEAN ONE NOW???????????

Every person who watches show like The O.C., Gossip Girl, 90210, etc… should be shot instantly.

C’mon America, I like you but I can distinguish facts from reality and I don’t expect TV shows to educate me. Now I’m a mean girl or I’m more likely to be one because I watch GG? And did you conveniently forget the backstabbing and bitchiness in UB? In GG they’re playing teenagers, which school doesn’t have its mean girls and frenemies?

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 09/11/2008 at 6:00 pm

u.s.a, you’re a fat-ass hater.

..a fat, super-ugly, unglamorous, latina-geek – working @ a ultra-chic nyc fashion magazine – real believable – not!

i understand that this is her point-of-view, however i completely disagree. only an idiot would be influenced by a show that is blatantly based on making fun of the uselessness of the upper manhattan crowd.

believe me, i’m in NY and i go to the type of school they portray. apart from the few girls that think they’re paris hilton- no one cares about sh*t like that. the others are trying to be emo running away from daddy’s money

true

PS: I’d rather watch gossip girl of ugly betty any day!

I think America is simply taking shows like GG, 90210, O.C, etc, too seriously. They’re made for entertainment. That’s all. If they didn’t have the backstabbing and drama why would we watch? Shows with good morals and nothing to make us say “OMG” isn’t going to get ratings. Isn’t ANY good show pretty much based on that? And I know not everyone is going to like it, I like that she’s saying what’s on her mind but COME ON. :P

I completely agree with her. I tried watching Gossip Girl, but it was horrendous all around. Gave me a frickin headache, I swear.

And aside from all that, she’s a wonderful actress and a great person–the type people should look to before looking at other actors around her age.

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 09/11/2008 at 6:59 pm

BG @ 09/11/2008 at 6:16 pm

`america, we know that’s you!

..and for the record.. you forgot the “i” in your name.. shouldn’t it be – BIG? lol

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All