Top Stories

Barack Obama's Grandmother Dies On Eve Of Election

Barack Obama's Grandmother Dies On Eve Of Election

Sen. Barack Obama‘s grandmother died of cancer at age 86 in Honolulu, his campaign said this afternoon.

The 47-year-old Democratic presidential nominee and his sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, 38, released this joint statement about Madelyn Dunham (their maternal grandmother): “It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure.

“Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer.”


Like Just Jared on Facebook

JJ Links Around The Web

  • Ryan Adams performed a ballad after his split from Mandy Moore- US Weekly
  • Richard Simmons got a visit from cops, who say he is fine- TMZ
  • Watch Blake Shelton perform “Boys ’Round Here” on SNL- Gossip Cop
  • See cute videos of R5 at Sundance Film Festival- Just Jared Jr
  • Gia Giudice made a tribute video for her mom Teresa- Radar
  • What should you know about Sundance Film Festival?- Huffington Post
  • Read a review of The Boy Next Door- Lainey Gossip
  • Who just got cast in Quentin Tarantino's Hateful Eight?- The Hollywood Reporter

139 Responses to “Barack Obama's Grandmother Dies On Eve Of Election”

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 » Show All

  1. 26
    joy Says:

    Tim #17… Your parents must be ashamed and embarrassed by you!

    My condolences.

  2. 27 sheep's wool Says:

    This is really sad. I am very sorry for his loss. He and his family will be in my prayers.

  3. 28
    sweetie Says:

    My thoughts and prayers are with the family…

    That is so sad, but I’m sure she will be watching from heaven.

  4. 29
    darnyl Says:

    for all you RETARDED haters, this is awful. this woman raised a bright, centered, and smart black man, and I’m sure she took some heat for doing it. I bet she’s so proud of who he’s become, and wouldn’t take any credit for any of it…that’s how most humble care givers are. My thoughts and prayers are with the Obama family, as this has got to be bitter sweet for him. The sucess that he will have as a president she will never see. I’m sure she knows tho ;)

  5. 30
    bleached photo Says:

    It’s very pathetic when someone has to tamper with the photo of his grandmother. I know she was fair skinned but it is obvious that it has been photoshopped.

    McCain + Palin = Recipe for Success

    (most women are jealous of Palin because she’s pretty, smart and a go-getter)

    90% of women on the face of this earth are average. The other 10% are nice looking.

  6. 31
    toni Says:

    Sorry for the loss of your grandma Obama.
    I just want to wish you the best through the years of presidency
    if you won the elections.
    May God be with your family.

  7. 32
    ash Says:

    terribly sad crazy timing, toots raised a fine inspirational leader..its tragic she cudnt see him become the 44th prez..he has lost the 3 people who have raised him and also his father

    go obama

  8. 33
    boogie Says:

    #13- you are pitiful and so incorrect. When someone like Obama is in the public eye…..that sort of thing is announced. Don’t u have a brain or heart?

    that’s sad. Too bad she won’t be here to see him become President.

  9. 34
    ana Says:

    So sad :/ My condolences to Obama and his family.
    I’m praying for his grandmother and for him *-*
    Good Luck tomorow.

  10. 35
    Jess Says:

    Sympathy votes?

    How sick are you people. NO ONE wants a relative to die, they didn’t plan for her to die. It must be awful for him and his family at this time.

    My thoughts and prayers are with Barack & his family.

    Rest In Paradise Madelyn ***

    Yeah, thats from a UK person!!

  11. 36
    LOL Says:

    gosh roll out a dead relative to help a candidate….

  12. 37
    Jess Says:


    RIP Madelyn ***

  13. 38
    Rach Says:

    Obama will be President this time tomorrow and i am loving it :D RIP Dunham. what a fine man you raised.

  14. 39
    Um... Says:

    #30, as one of the 10% you speak of, I am not in any way jealous of Sarah Palin and even if I was in the other 90% (which you are obviously in the very bottom of) I still wouldn’t be jealous of her. Unlike you and the losers you speak of, I don’t get jealous of other people. I live my own life and don’t worry about whether someone else is pretty or not.

  15. 40
    Original jpf Says:

    Jijna @ 11/03/2008 at 6:21 pm

    “And we need to know this why? Why didn’t he keep it private until AFTER the election? It is not of public interest, to me it comes across as publicity seeking to gain sympathy votes.”


    Are you this stupid offline too? Does your dumb ass actually believe this wouldn’t be reported on with no help from Obama? I’m livid that your ass would dare suggest something as sorid and ugly as your heart and mind apparently have allowed. You’re the worst side of human nature. You didn’t even have to dig deep to say what you did and I pity you.


  16. 41
    boogie Says:


    McPain+Palin = recipe for Disaster and 4 more years of our country going down the drain.

    The photo of his grandparents photoshopped?

    Where did you get that information/ Made it up in your mind?

    Obama’s mother was white and his grandparents as well.

    Just about everybody knows that. His father is African.

    so what?

  17. 42
    some people Says:

    Some people here like you read horrible, negative things into other people’s comments. You should keep an open mind when reading other people’s thoughts because sometimes, some of you LIKE to think the worst about people.

    I doubt if anyone here gets any enjoyment out of this news. Get a positive attitude and quit thinking the worst about people.

    At least people who admit they don’t think he should be President aren’t phoney and two-faced! This board is here so people can express their ideas…not to kiss someone’s ass!

  18. 43
    murphy Says:

    Who gives a shiit?

  19. 44
    hotel Says:

    tragic she won’t be able to see her grandson become president
    & american people i beg you to vote for obama tomorrow!
    can’t u see the republican policies led to disasters!
    no obama is not a terrorist! & he’s not gonna take you money to give it to those who don’t work! tax raises are for the richest households, and even if the rich pay higher taxes, they’ll still be richer than you!!

  20. 45
    EM Says:

    #30 thank you for the laugh – that was actually pretty funny. You should probably sit down for this part — some women simply don’t like Palin because she is malicious, bitchy and has an IQ of 83.

    She is pretty but she should have stayed silent; therefore, we wouldn’t know how malicious, bitchy and dumb she was.

  21. 46
    Brucie Says:

    He is looking for last minute sympathy votes.

    Talk about stooping to an all time low!!

  22. 47
    boogie Says:


    I forgot to mention that what you said about Palin is crazy.

    No one is jealous of her. EWWwwww!

    McPain picked her for one reason and only one reason. He will pay for tht stupid choice and it is very well known that even the “Republican party knows and feels she is NOT qualifed .

    Just because she is a woman…does not mean she’s the right woman.

  23. 48
    Steve Says:

    Who cares if his grandma died?

    Why didn’t he keep this private the night before the election?

  24. 49
    Women are jealous of Palin Says:

    jealous jealous, ugly witches here on JJ. lmao!!!

    You all must be having your monthly bit*hy cycles!!! lol

  25. 50
    obama 08!! Says:

    so sad to hear this news…
    may She RIP!!
    my best wishes to Obama and his family!!

    VOTE OBAMA!!!!

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 » Show All

A Member of Townsquare Entertainment News | Advertise here