Barack Obama's Grandmother Dies On Eve Of Election

Barack Obama's Grandmother Dies On Eve Of Election

Sen. Barack Obama‘s grandmother died of cancer at age 86 in Honolulu, his campaign said this afternoon.

The 47-year-old Democratic presidential nominee and his sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, 38, released this joint statement about Madelyn Dunham (their maternal grandmother): “It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer. She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure.

“Our family wants to thank all of those who sent flowers, cards, well-wishes, and prayers during this difficult time. It brought our grandmother and us great comfort. Our grandmother was a private woman, and we will respect her wish for a small private ceremony to be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to any worthy organization in search of a cure for cancer.”

RIP.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 » Show All

I cannot not believe the racist vitriolic words that have been written here about a decent man and his grandmother. I more and more fear for our country.What narrow minded people we are. I hope and pray Obama wins so that he can bring reconciliation, thoughtful analysis and a skilled management team to our country nearly destroyed by 8 years of George W.

This is not good sign for Obama, it means he will not win. His grandma didn’t have confident in him and she died one day before election.

Original jpf @ 11/03/2008 at 8:49 pm

Jared, your site has officially become something I never thought it would which is “not much different/better than Dlisted or Perez Hilton.”

It’s the price of progress and growth and competiveness and I get that, and I am sincerely happy for your success even if I’m more than a bit sad that what once was is no more. All there seems to be now is a dominance by more and more posters who have been given the freedom to set a tone that has the sole purpose of turning a blog as negative, vile, violent and unwelcoming as possible and I’m truly saddened by it.

I will always be grateful that I knew it back when, and I do wish you continued success.

jpf

agree 103 @ 11/03/2008 at 8:52 pm

i can’t believe she didn’t hang on just a little longer. Normally, when the sick and dying have something to look forward to, it makes them stronger, at least in the short term. Apparently, this is not a good sign for Obama.

Women for Obama @ 11/03/2008 at 9:11 pm

My heartfelt condolences go out to Barack and Maya and the rest of their family. They are in our hearts and prayers. Rest in peace, Mrs. Dunham.

pr person @ 11/03/2008 at 9:12 pm

May she rest in peace.

Obama/Biden 08

obamaforfuture @ 11/03/2008 at 9:18 pm

#103 and #105

you both are full of baloney! Are you two teenagers or just idiots?

oh, how sad. She raised a fine man who will lead us out of the disaster Bush pout us in. God is looking after her for the great job she had done in raising Obama.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Mr. Obama. May god bless you and your family. More importantly may god bless our country with you as president.

my prayers go out to his family. RIP
it is so sad that she died just one day before the election.

those of you that are only worried about the so-called “sympathy votes,” you should be ashamed. he did not kill his grandmother. he doesn’t want sympathy votes. he wasn’t the one that released the information. she died early this morning and the public was informed later in the day.

understand that if Obama wins the election, it is not due to sympathy votes. it’s because the majority of the American people found him as the better pick of the two. if any American is stupid enough to give a sympathy vote, they should not have that right.

We’re praying for you Barack and family,<3
This is very upsetting :( I wish she could’ve made it to election day, too see her grandson become all that he could be.
Prayers go out to Barack’s family and friends.

may she rest in peace.

can’t wait for tomorrow! my vote goes to OBAMA :)

and please, he only wants to raise taxes for ppl who make above 250,000 a year. my uncle makes about 120,000 a year and he was able to purchase a beautiful 3 million dollar house in Beverly Hills and live it up. i make about 60,000 and im able to live comfortably with my hubby while still paying my taxes. so anyone making 250,000 or above shouldn’t complain. because in all honesty, you’re pretty damn rich.

Rest in peace. She passed away knowing Obama will become our next president. She died a happy woman.

Let me just say this. I am not a mccain/ Palin supporter. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of their loved ones that passed away such as has been for obama, i would not get on here and say heartless and selfish comments.

you people that said these comments need to get a life and you will ************ for what you are saying. If you dont belive in heaven and hell you day is comming. So start beliving fuckers.

So sad. She seems like she was a really interesting person. He is so lucky he had her. It seems obvious they realized she was in her last days. At that point you can take a turn at any time and it’s over pretty quickly. But why didn’t he take his daughters to say goodbye – they’re plenty old enough. Didn’t Michelle want to say goodbye?

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 11/03/2008 at 11:14 pm

obama will be the next president no matter what you racist rednecks type.

I want to send my symathy.She will be miss.

he is a great man, great leader and we need him to guide this country he’s the only one who cares about the middle class people and the rest, everybody is losing their jobs with notthing to do rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer and our money is wasted some else in other countries when we need help ourselves may god with him and his family he’s a god is send , brilliant leader and we need him to guide us i pray every day and night that he wins and i know god is listening..

to : leached photo #30

Mccain + palin + disaster

and you said most women are jealous of palin because she’s pretty and smart and a gogetter.

well i should say for sure she is better than you but not other women she is ugly , idiot and old and looks like a village woman don’t mistaken a blabber mouth with a go getter.

My heart goes out to the Obama/Dunham family. What a bittersweet day tomorrow is going to be for him. I wish him and his family all the best.

Even if you arn’t voting for him you shouldn’t be rude.
*ignoring all the negative/evil comments*

Even if you arn’t voting for him you shouldn’t be rude.
*ignoring all the negative/evil comments*

omg RIP

my prayers are with the obama family

everybody vote obama!!! nov 4 yall