People Magazine: NY Times is Bogus

People Magazine: NY Times is Bogus

Larry Hackett, managing editor for People magazine, just sent this email to staffers to address the recent NYTimes piece titled “Angelina Jolie’s Carefully Orchestrated Image”:

“I don’t normally address press stories about how we do our business here at People. But today’s New York Times pg. 1 story about Angelina Jolie requires a response. In the lede, the story strongly suggests that People, while negotiating for the twins pictures, had explicit conversations about our “editorial plan” and made ‘a promise’ that coverage would be positive.

“These sorts of stories have appeared in media gossip columns before. I have ignored them in the past as the unfortunate fallout of competition and sour grapes. But today’s story, in a much different venue, takes these rumors to a new level, so let me be absolutely clear: The suggestion that we have ever made any promise of positive coverage, or have submitted an editorial plan, is completely false. That I or anyone else would promise, on paper or verbally, to purposely slant coverage as condition for acquiring pictures, is insulting to all of us.

“Here’s what is true: Celebrities-and senators and business executives and athletes-are always trying to bend stories their way. We deal with that pressure every single day and engage in many conversations regarding all elements of coverage. Angelina Jolie is very candid about wanting attention for her charitable efforts, and we have covered many of them because we believe they are interesting stories. But in doing so, we have never relinquished editorial control. There have been occasions when her goals and our needs could not be reconciled, and we have walked away, as we have with countless other story subjects.

“In our coverage of both celebrities and everyday people, People certainly often celebrates their accomplishments and milestones. To say that our coverage of Angelina Jolie has not been admiring would be disingenuous. But the suggestion in today’s Times that this ‘positive’ coverage is codified and promised is totally bogus, and needs to be rejected.”

ABC

Pages: « 14 5 6 [7] 8 9 1039 » Show All

bdj @ 03/08/2008 at 6:02 pm

Celebrities Give Diplomacy A Star-Power Punch

Bono, Angelina, George, Mia and More Work Closely With The United Nations On Relief Efforts
Beyond the glamour of the red carpet and the clamor of fans at a rock concert, an elite group of celebrities have gotten so involved in diplomacy that they are eclipsing true diplomats.

Photos
Starstruck Heads of State

“You know the Secretary General very often tells me, ‘You know, whenever there is an opportunity we need a star.’…He says, ‘Every time a star speaks, what I have to say just disappears, it has absolutely no meaning, no one listens to me, but people will listen to the star, will listen to the celebrity,’ said U.N. spokesperson Michele Montas.

Nowadays these celebrities are taking on increasingly complex and weighty roles in the fights against poverty, pestilence and war.
U2’s lead singer, Bono, has direct access to world leaders, and he’s credited with bringing worldwide attention and money to the poverty and HIV crisis in Africa.

“I tell you what my Messianic complex is, I wanna have fun and I wanna change the world. That’s it,” he told ABC News Nightline anchor Cynthia McFadden.

Oscar winner Angelina Jolie recently traveled to Iraq for the second time and wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post about the refugee crisis there.

Tune in to Good Morning America Weekend on Sunday to see more celebrities on the frontlines.

“Generals in Iraq, presidents of Iraq, they know if somebody like Angelina goes in they are going to be able to get the message across very quickly.

Jolie has even been invited to testify in front of the House Armed Services Committee and has teamed up with California Congresswoman Diane Feinstein to lobby for legislation on Iraqi refugee relief.

Jolie says her activism helps her counter the shallowness of Hollywood. “It gives celebrity some reason. Celebrity is very weird … So when you’re doing something good, and you can bring attention to that, or discuss that, then it feels like you have some sense in your life,” Jolie told ABC News “This Week” anchor George Stephanopoulos

oh yeah she’s controlling the media and creating the perfect image while she’s on drugs? LMAO She is better than I thought.

Natascha @ 11/21/2008 at 8:12 pm
_______________________________

Here she is again announcing that she is “I go out with friends” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man you people are pathetic and have some serious issues.

Being a celebrity today means many things: walking the red carpet, dodging the paparazzi. It also means using your attention getting powers to better the world.

Thanks to the power of celebrity influence, consciousness and dollars get raised.

Chris Good
November 21st, 2008 at 5:56 pm 23

Ignorance is not only bliss, haters count on it.

So, we are back to that old argument again – what came first? People’s interest in ‘Brangelina,’ or the pictorial of their firstborn? Since I’m a photographer, and know that people were offering me and my brethren a million dollars cash back in the spring of 2005 for a picture of Brad & Angelina together, a full YEAR before Shiloh was a twinkle – I would say the pictorial is a result of the rabid full-on chase we were exacting on the family.

Have people forgotten the exodus of every major media outlet and pap agency to Lake Como, Italy in 2006 because they thought a wedding was taking place? Or how about the CNN, Fox, MSNBC, ABC, CBS stories and crawls about a New Orleans wedding less than 8 months ago?

So again, I’m sorry — if I’m Angelina Jolie what are my choices again?

1) I can be chased down in the street for the elusive first photographs of my child which will endanger my family and fatten the photographer and that of American Media Inc (tabloid behomoth) OR…

2) I can arrange a pictorial in a benign reputable weekly like People, get paid 14 million and distribute it to people around the world in need – it may even actually SAVE LIVES.

Hmmmm…decisions, decisions. Well, since I have a BRAIN. I’m going the Angelina Saves Lives route.

Let’s examine the Halle Berry route. Halle decides not to publish any pictorials, stating her daughter will “not be a public figure.” The papz laugh in her face. Halle’s home and property get invaded by papz trying to take pics of her infant daughter. Halle then decides to give them what they want and go to the zoo and the park and let the papz have at. Well, the next week, the pictures come out and the tabloid papz and tabloid publishing companies make their millions on the backs of her and her child.

I saw the many pics & stories about baby Nalah in People, US, STAR and the Bauer Publications – they ran them a good month. What does Halle get in return? well…NOTHING.

Not even a promise to not do it again, because OF COURSE, the papz will be out tomorrow and the next day and the next – annoying Halle and her child once again.

You can kind of view it like this:

Halle = O

American Media Inc & Bauer Publishing (In Touch, Life & Style) STAR, Natnl Enquirer, US Magazine, People magazine = 20-30 MILLION

Via Angelina Jolie & the Jolie Pitt Foundation: Drs Without Borders, US Military Children’s Foundation, UNHCR, AIDS & Malaria Foundations in SE Asia and Ethiopia, Millenium Project, KIND (Nationwide Network of Lawyers Assisting Minor Refugee Children) = 10 MILLION

Oh, and the PR Agencies/Agents that take 15% of whatever Angelina Jolie makes = ZERO. Because Angelina has NO agent, NO CAA, NO ICM, NO PK. Just her. That’s 15% back in her pocket, or rather to whatever charitable noble foundation she desires to give it to.

Yes, and now you see why you’re getting these strategically timed and placed articles – it’s very clear why Angelina Jolie must be punished.

Wonder when someone will write a story about THAT?? I say no time soon, because most of the entertainment reporters writing for so-called reputable outlets get greased by the PR agents. KNOWN FACT. And another reason for this piece most likely, it’s all about competition – you heard Tilda Swinton last year. She knows what’s up.

Good for People Mag for standing up. They know where all the bodies are buried. I’m sure the People editor was fit to be tied, here he gets raked over the coals for publishing a 6 year old story about Angelina’s Cambodian son, and the orphanage he was in, and the poverty in that country….

…and he knows just last WEEK he’s taking calls from CAA & PR power mogul Huvane asking him to publish Jen & John at the Sunset Towers, and to please write how loving they seemed. Or worse yet, he’s being asked to run a piece on how Jen’s 4th nose job isn’t really cosmetic, it’s all about her deviated septum.

Yet he takes it in the gut, for publishing skyrocketing HIV infection rates in Ethiopia, along with Angelina’s pictures of her daughter Zahara?

Wake up Hollywood. Though you may claim, this page is turning into Perez Hilton, most people would say, that happened a long time ago. It’s true, very seldom do you get an Oscar winning actress who is topping both the tabloids as well as the critically acclaimed list. The last person may have been Julia Roberts, but when she was peaking, the media wasn’t as incestuous as it is now. You didn’t have papers of note, quoting tabloid editors known for their lies. You can choose to view Jolie and her level of fame as an anamoly and something you don’t need to deal with – but the same problems will exist whether you discuss her or not — and that is, at the end of the day, what truly makes this a story to pay attention to, is that she, one of the biggest stars in the world, is NOT OWNED by the Death Star.

She’s powerful, all by her little self. In my book, that’s a reason to be admired, not exposed or cut down.

Hence why she’s on page 1 of the NYT. “Scary Smart,” indeed.

UN Freedom award @ 11/21/2008 at 8:21 pm

International Rescue Committee to honour UN refugee official, Angelina Jolie

6 November 2007 – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres and internationally renown actress Angelina Jolie, one of his agency’s most active supporters, will receive the International Rescue Committee’s annual Freedom Award for 2007 in New York tomorrow.

The award being given to UNHCR and its Goodwill Ambassador recognizes extraordinary contributions to the cause of refugees and human freedom has previously been given to another UN High Commissioner for Refugees – Sadako Ogata, in 1995.

Other Freedom Award winners include Winston Churchill (1958); George Soros (1993); Daw Aung San Suu Kyi (1995); Vaclav Havel (2003); and former Presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton (2006).
The IRC has for many years been UNHCR’s largest NGO partner.

Angie, you have my RESPECT @ 11/21/2008 at 8:23 pm

Here is the one of the Q & A from msnbc.com.

Sean Smith is the senior writer for Newsweek.

Sean Smith: Your frustration here is not with Angelina, but with the media. She does, in fact, go lots of places without cameras, and works with refugees with no one looking at all. I had a section on that in the story that didn’t make it into the final version, becasue of space restrictions. It would be a wonderful world if people who do good work—non-famous, non-beautfiul ones—were rewarded and covered as much as stars are. She is aware of her privilege, by the way. How could she not be? You know, she really could just stay at home in her mansion in LA. and go to parties and things, and adopt no one. Would things really be better if she did?

Angie, you have my RESPECT @ 11/21/2008 at 8:24 pm

Here is the one of the Q & A from msnbc.com.

Sean Smith is the senior writer for Newsweek.

Warwick, NY: Does Angelina TRULY want to save the world or just look good for the media??? Personally I think she just wants to appear to be wholesome in the public eye.

Sean Smith: This is too cyncial, even for me. And it’s my job to be. She’s been doing this for six years. If it’s a lark just to get publicity, there are about 1 million easier ways to do that. Also, that headline is something one of my editors put on the story. I don’t think she’s trying to save the world, and she’s never said so. I think she’s just trying to be of use, and make some positive change. We really should not have put that headline on this story. It’s inaccurate

awards @ 11/21/2008 at 8:17 pm
RIGHT ON. Very good Post from Chris. Everyone knows Huvane and company flood People Magazine and Blogs with Poor pathetic eternal victim Jen’s every move. This hatchet job by NYT was instigated by people that do not like that AJ is the biggest star in the Universe without PR representation and some greedy agent. More Power to the Jolie.

aniston HATES her MOM @ 11/21/2008 at 8:27 pm

# 152 lovely @ 11/21/2008 at 8:15 pm OFCOIRSE I CAN SEE THEM TELLING PEOPLE MAGAZINE. PLEASE MAKE ME LOOK LIKE AN ANGEL TRYING TO SAVE THE WORLD. BUT HAS SHE TRIED TO PATCH THINGS UP WITH HER FATHER. HA! AND SHE CALLS HER SELF A ROLE MODEL!!! U NEED TO START FROM HOME BEFORE U CAN CALL UR SELF A HUMANITARIAN!!!!!!!!!!
______________________

Uh, aj’s dad was a deadbeat who abandoned his family and didn’t support them financially. he’s lucky to have gotten as many chances from his son and daughter as he has, especially since he was absentee…and going by reports, it looks like they are giving him another one. He’s lucky they are so compassionate.

Aniston however, is another story – she has kicked her elderly mother, the only parent who raised her single handedly, out of her life and on the streets with no healthcare – has not even spoken to her in 12 years – forcing her mother to have to seek healthcare from indigent services in Los Angeles, not inviting her to her wedding (the woman never met Brad Pitt), and refers to her as a ‘disease.’

That is a true cold hearted b*tch of a monster. Some say she’s fabricated a ‘war,’ with mom, just because she’s embarrassed of her face…rumor has it, jen’s mom is a plastic surgery victim like her daughter and that jen was always embarrassed of her.

I guess you could call Jen Aniston a cold hearted monster who has no business being a mother to anyone – she should NEVER be a mother…let those ovaries dry up all the way, if this is the way she treats the only parent who ever raised her, and provided for her like dog sh*t..or worse than dog sh*t.

quiet no more : 09/23/2007 at 10:33 pm

Why does it bother people so much that Brad and Angelina do chairty work and have their picture taken?

Isn’t it more important that they are actually doing the philantropic work that they are doing?

Isn’t it more important that people see what is happening around the world and become encouraged in making a difference?

I think its absolutely ridiculous to put people down for helping the world become a better place. Which is more than we can say because we sit on our computers reading and arguing working ourselves up into maddening fury about the lives of people whose movies we watch or in the case of non fans don’t watch….if you don’t like how someone lives their lives, thats fine. if you don’t think they are genuine in the reasonings behind the work they do, thats fine also but don’t put them down for trying. it isn’t your place or my place to judge. Afterall we are the ones at our computer not out there flying to Iraq or Africa or Cambodia orVietnam or New Orleans trying to bring awareness. That is the hope at least in what they are doing… and if they get some publicity from it then thats just part of the deal the give and take of life. At least conversation is being started and people are going hmmm maybe theres something I can do….

the people on this page who are so full of anger are saddening… celebrity gossip should be fun and mindless. Nothing to get so worked up about… It isn’t ourreality it is theres… just everybody breathe and take a moment to reflect on the fact that these people could care less if we think they are doing charity work for the wrong or right reasons or for making decisions in which partners they choose or how they raise their kids. On the larger spectrum of the world we are insignificant in their lives.

Fans take no offense… I am a fan as well… but as a fan I know that my place is to appreciate their work and that is all. I am the first to admit that I enjoy reading about the things they do in their daily lives or their lives outside of film. Which is why I am on this site reading these stories…. but don’tallow these “haters” to fill you with negative energy. Read the stories and remain fans believe in the good of everyone and hope that the people full of hate sarcasm and anger will find their way to more positive energy and lives…
END RANT

POOR JARED @ 11/21/2008 at 8:29 pm

I feel sorry for you Jared! :)

Just Jared is crying all the way to the bank(Just Jared Jr and Sr.)

Mrs. Smith @ 11/21/2008 at 8:32 pm

#157 Award….
Thanks for posting that wonderful article, saying everything I’d like to say, and then some.
So glad that Larry Hackett at People is telling his side of this stupid bogus NYT article.

So the Times thinks Angelina told People 1. you will pay me 14 mill for the pics 2 you will not use the word bangelina 3 you will write about my charities 4 you will write nice things about me, brad and my family not only in this issue but in future issues. The Times wants us to think People said yes to all these things. WELL YOU GO GIRL. Forget Hillary we need Angelina as Sec of State.

Um… @ 11/21/2008 at 6:10 pm I agree #36!!

Angelina is nothing but a media ***** and if she really cared about ending the wold’s poverty, then she would give all of her money to the poor, quit acting, and free us from her ridiculous pseudoconcern for the fate of humanity. Why doesn’t she take some of the money she spends getting collagen stuffed into her lips and buy herself another 3rd world baby?
——-
What an ignorant and dumb post!

lovely @ 11/21/2008 at 8:15 pm

Angie and her father have been in communication, Jon even visited her prior the twin birth, as reported recently by Contact com.

But what’s the fuss if she’s not talking with her dad , it’s none of our business just like we don’t criticize President elect Obama in not reconciling or talking with Dad till his death bed..

lovely @ 11/21/2008 at 8:15 pm

so true so true. did you see how phony brad pitt was with his interview with oprah? phony and his stories seem strange. they are strange.

Poor hens. Still mad at Papa Pitt because he did not mention Jen on Oprah. They are tearing up Oprah’s forum, canceling their O Magazine subscription and will not camp out for the Oprah favorite things show. Sad world when the hens turn on Queen Oprah.

People should mind their business and leave Angelina alone.

# 171 Sharon @ 11/21/2008 at 8:41 pm –ok are you kidding me rigth???
It was one of his best interviews showing how much he loves Angie and their kids…I guess that’s why you are soo pissed off … it is b/c all the fugly has the peeboy and her dogs ROTFLMAO! :lol: Honey..just move on…and your idol has to move on..it has been FOUR fcuking years…you all are looking more hidious, desperate and frrankly scary…like stalkers… just move on…
JP’s are a loving growing family..and nothing you can try to do is going to change that…poor pathetic thing..I feel for you but I am really hoping you can get help before you are served with a restraining order :)

Angelina Jolie Most Respected Celebrity Humanitarian Of 2007

Angelina Jolie has been voted the Most Respected Celebrity Humanitarian of 2007 for her work as a United Nations (UN) goodwill ambassador as well as being praised for her efforts to publicise suffering in Africa.

An online poll of 606 people, carried out by the Reuters news agency, put the Tomb Raider star ahead of U2 frontman Bono, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

Peter Walker, director of the Feinstein International Famine Centre at Tufts University, commented: “People aren’t stupid. They can really sense when it’s just an endorsement and when somebody really means it.

“Someone like Angelina Jolie comes across as having more integrity than some celebrities and a greater sense that she doesn’t just do this for the publicity.”

“She does this in a very low-key way,” said UNHCR spokesman Peter Kessler.

“She goes out to see for herself, to get up close and very personal. She doesn’t travel with film crews, and I think that is real testimony to her dedication to the cause.”

awards @ 11/21/2008 at 8:17 pm

Finally. Come on we need more people in the media to stand up. Does anyone know what Tilda said last year about the media.

Pages: « 14 5 6 [7] 8 9 1039 » Show All