Joaquin Phoenix: Real Rapper?

Joaquin Phoenix: Real Rapper?

While Joaquin Phoenix‘s attempt to move from acting to rapping has been the subject of much speculation, two people close to Phoenix say that the actor’s career change is not quite as it appears to be.

News broke earlier this month that Casey Affleck would track the musical career of Joaquin Phoenix in a documentary. Phoenix made his debut rap performance last Friday night at Lavo nightclub in Las Vegas, and ended up falling off the stage. Affleck captured it on video and it was posted on YouTube.

“He said, ‘It’s a put-on. I’m going to pretend to have a meltdown and change careers, and Casey is going to film it,’” says one source who recently worked with Phoenix. “It’s an art project for him,” the source told EW. “He’s going full out. He probably has told his reps that he’s quit acting. Joaquin is very smart. This is very conscious. He has a huge degree of control.”

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Joaquin Phoenix’s rapping career?

• Heidi Montag congratulates Lauren Conrad on her wedding - US Weekly
  • August Alsina collapses during a performance- TMZ
  • Sharon Osbourne blasts U2 for their free album- Gossip Cop
  • Luke Perry has joined the cast of CSI: Cyber- Entertainment Weekly
  • Martha Stewart slams Gwyneth Paltrow- Huffington Post
  • Read a review of Keira Knightley's new film Laggies- Lainey Gossip
  • Jerry Seinfeld honors Joan Rivers at an award show- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Cora Keegan shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

What do I think? Not much, just that it’s weird but boring.

it’ll backfire. he has people genuinely concerned about his psychological state – they’ll feel manipulated. The guy is not known for his comic instincts – he’s known as a serious, dramatic actor – that fuels the genuine concern.

t’s a funny idea but the drawn out execution is reckless.

I used to like him a lot, but he’s an idiot.

Its a stupid movie and casey is filming it. I wonder if he asked ben for directing advice.

Twifanatic Amanda @ 01/27/2009 at 8:59 pm

ew, i miss movie star joaquin

MArley aka mars @ 01/27/2009 at 9:08 pm

Um is it legal to have a birds nest on your face?

eequanimity @ 01/27/2009 at 9:13 pm

don’t buy it.. Joaquin is too real to put up a hoax like this. I think he is serious about his intentions.

Just shave and take a bath please.

pranks aside, i’m just glad he isn’t really quitting acting. he’s one of the best actors of his generation imo

hollywould @ 01/27/2009 at 10:03 pm

I dunno…given his messed up family history..im a lil worried for him.

Why bother pretending to have a meltdown? How about rising up to the occasion of being the best you can be? It seems like a waste of time to go through all that effort to pull something silly off. Just saying.

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 01/27/2009 at 10:47 pm

..poor guy’s using the same drugs his brother did. by the looks of him, they might even be a lot stronger.

It may be conscious and he may be in control – but it’s still totally effed up. No way can this turn out to be a good career move. Looking like a dirty sasquatch, acting like a drug addict, and making a complete insane fool of yourself is not, cannot be a good career move. Or even a good personal move. He should just go into hiding and come out in a decade or so.

GRIZZLY ADAMS IS ROCKIN’, folks!!

TaylorSwiftfan @ 01/27/2009 at 11:28 pm

Whether Jaoquin believes this rapping thing is a front or not, if I were close to him, I’d still concerned for his wellbeing.

His career was going great yet this move screams desperation and despair. I’m surprised Casey Affleck would agree to participate in this.

Is mental illness such as being bi-polar a possibility here?

I don’t think this is true. I think whether he is taping this, and just pretending, or whatever, Joaquin does have serious psychological issues and I also think he has some kind of substance problem. Maybe alcohol, maybe drugs, maybe both. But he is definitely doing something. Joaquin has been off for a while. Not just a few months. He is way too up and down. I hope his family stages an intervention and he goes away for a while to get serious help. I like him and I think he is a fine actor. I don’t want anything bad to happen to him. He was very close friends with Heath Ledger. Joaquin hasn’t been right since Heath died a year ago.

Yeah right – I believe it…

It’s not working – so it’s a ploy.

OK…….

No big loss in my opinion.

I’m a fan of Joaquin, but to be honest the whole thing seems very self indulgent to me. It’s like c’mon honey, you’re going to fake a meltdown to what end? What exactly is he trying to prove with this? It’s a bit much for me.

hahaha what the hell happened to our big bad boy Commodus? that hillbilly look doesn’t cut it, but looks cool. no rapper out there got that sport these days so why not? :)

Shemp lugosi @ 01/28/2009 at 2:37 am

Casey and Joaquin are made for each other because they both have (or had) brothers who are vastly more talented. But I’ll give Joaquin credit because the absolutely talentless Reese Witherspoon rode his coattails to a totally underseved Oscar.

Shemp lugosi @ 01/28/2009 at 2:39 am

Good Lord, I misspelled undeserved! And since she got nothing right about June Carter, I certainly should have spelled the proper adjective to fit her Oscar – UNDESERVED!

What!
Are you telling me I was the ONLY one who figured out it was staged?!

If he claims hoax now, it is only because he is trying to save face.

OMG!!! HE LOOKS AWFUL!!!