Christian Bale's Apology: I Acted Like a Punk

Christian Bale's Apology: I Acted Like a Punk

Christian Bale has called into the KROQ Kevin & Bean show in Los Angeles to apologize for his screaming and shouting mishap while filming Terminator Salvation.

The 35-year-old actor admits, “It’s been a miserable week for me. I know I have a pottymouth, everybody knows that now. I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief, I was way out of order. I acted like a punk, I regret that and there is nodbody that has heard that tape that has been hit harder by it [than me]. I make no excuses for it, it is inexcusable and I hope that is absolutely clear.”

Christian continues, “One thing that has really disturbed me throughout this is I’m not familiar or comfortable with this notion of being a movie star. I’m an actor and I’m don’t quite know how to handle [the movie star thing]. The thing that disturbs me so much is that I’ve heard a lot of people saying that I seem to think I’m better than anybody else. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I’m a lucky SOB. I never forget that and that is why I put so much into what I do and I care so much about it . Sometimes that enthusiasm just goes awry.”

Mr. Bale ended, “I am embarrassed by it and I regret it. And I ask everybody to sit down and ask themselves, ‘Have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely?’”

Ethan Miller/Getty

Everyone goes through that anger stage. Let him be.

I still think hes a hottie =]

Okay. That sounded sincere and I’m inclined to forgive him for that rant at the poor worker bee. However, I still will never see any of his movies. As far as I’m concerned Christian Bale is a dead movie star!!!

Certainly I think he could have handled the situation better at the time but I’m glad to see he made a statement. I think it yet again proves he is a class act. =)

Just so you know, the entire interview is on the front page of KROQ. Just add the .com at the end and that takes you to their site. Great statement. He’s awesome. =)

He’s still a douchebag

seriously leave him alone….like none of us on here have NEVER flipped out on someone…lol

Agree with #1.. I still like him and respect him as an actor so I WILL go see his movies.

Not hearing an apology in there, just excuses

Go listen to the entire interview ms. lewis. There is no reason to be holding a grudge against Christian. He is even telling them that the DP he flipped out on did a great job. He really, really is taking this like a man.

He even mentions that people might not go see the movie because he acted like a primadonna and he hopes that people don’t allow his lapse in judgement to overshadow the movie and ruin the work of all the people that worked. So he’s kind of speaking to you.

He points out it never came close to being physical and then he jokes that he couldn’t get physical with the guy because he’s huge and an ex football player. lol.

Then he tells them thanks for poking fun of the situation and he apologizes again. You really should listen to it before continuing to bash or hold grudges.

He knows he has a bad temper, even his mom confirmed it that doesn’t make it right to go on. He should get a little help. It won’t be long till he flips out again and people will still think it’s just another moment and where he saw the error of his ways. He’s a ticking time bomb.

now that i think of it Christian Bale was never a “Hollywood” movie star type of guy. and maybe thats why i didnt really care how he reacted. he’s never in the spotlight like other A list actors, he always was the quite one who only shows up when promoting a movie. i think if it were Brad Pitt or George Clooney lets say, then i think it would have been more news worthy i guess since those guys are always on the spotlight, in front of cameras, on talkshows. honestly most people didnt even know he had an accent lol. so even with this whole incident i still find him a bad ass who makes damn good movies.

shenanyginz @ 02/06/2009 at 12:50 pm

i accept mr. bale

—–

i agree

Give me a break. He “apologized” because his pr people told him to. I’m sure the conversation went something like this…..”Listen Christian, people are thinking you are a real ******* right now. So you have to do some damage control. Get out there and say you know it was horrible and you are sorry”. The trouble with this is that he obviously has an anger problem and has trouble with boundaries. So he can say he is sorry all he wants but the only thing that will really make an impact is if he STOPS behaving like an out of control 2 year old.

Number 6 I have never in my life treated another person the way he treated that men, never and you saying its OK makes me really mad. Is not OK to disrespect people in any way, they are ways you can make your point across without being disrespectful and degrading, if you consider his actions to be OK then you have problems.
Going back to topic I think this guy should go to anger management classes, I don’t know if you remember but last year their was an incident where he was really bad with his mom and sister in England I refused to believe it then but now I do believe he could do something like that. He needs to deal with his anger.

Everyone is entitled to have a bad day, week, or month or year, but it doesn’t give him or anyone the right to verbally abuse another. With that aside, I’m glad that he finally came foward and admitted that he was wrong, but he does need to take some anger managerment classes, cause this isn’t the first time that he’s done this, and it won’t be the last.

it’s good! it’s over ! every one yet had bad day! nobody is perfect!

i dont think he has to worry about people not watching the new Terminator, not after that horrible part 3 lol. plus he most likely revive the franchise like he did with Batman. people who wouldnt watch a movie because of this situation needs help just like Bale with his anger.

excuses? if you actually listened to the interview there were NO excuses Lia. Kevin and Bean were trying to give him the easy way out and say “ya, you expect things that happen on a set to be confidential and when it gets leaked to the press it really sucks,” but Christian said “i get that but that’s not an excuse for bad behavior. that confidentiality is there for the creative process so people can experiment on set with things that are embarassing.” maybe you should re-listen to it. or just not comment.

christian bale has really let people down, being from england and the county/state where his family originate from we sort of held him in high esteme as in an english lad doing good and getting big but to see, well hear what he was saying to that other guy is really really a let down, for him to say i hope people can sit down and remember when they have been angary and felt ashamed…wel 1 no normal person ive met would ever talk to another human being like that and its so sick to hear how much of a diva he was, id like to know how he thinks he can even justify it, no matter how angary anyone one could get i dont know who would be such a prick like that…and for something so trivial as what the man suposedly did…..such a shame.

He sounded like a nutter!! Anyway, as long as he apologized to guy he went off on, I can forgive him. I’m glad these temper-challenged idiot actors can’t actually get anyone fired….since there are UNIONS.

You think he sounds sincere? Hello? He’s an actor. How hard do you think it is for him to fake sincerity. His paycheck depends on you boneheads.

Please Christian. You’re a douchebag and anyone who believes your pathetic execuses is a bigger douchebag.

Christian Bale is a complete ******* and a piece of **** actor. GARBAGE!!!

He’s right. Who can honestly say they never lost it. If he regrets it and has apologised to his victim I’m fine with it.

Well that was the most self centred apology i’ve heard in a long while, what about the poor guy he shouted at? I’d say he was hit harder by the whole thing than the idiot of a movie star who had a go at him…….

” I ask everybody to sit down and ask themselves, ‘Have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely?”

Yes, we all have. It is just that…well… yours really went on and on…anyway, lesson learned and hopefully, as with all of us, you will be the better for it.

leave him alone

HE CAN DO OR SAY WHATEVER HE WANT! HE’S HOTT!!

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. First people were crying because he didn’t apologize, now they are crying because he did. He can’t win for losing. Why post? You are going to hate him regardless. And for those of you who are calling him names and saying he acts like a baby, blah blah blah, how childish is it not to go to see a movie because someone cussed someone out? Or, dare I say, listen to someone apologize….only so you can trash it? I hope it makes you feel like a bigger person.

Danny JAck @ 02/06/2009 at 1:52 pm

Ahhh Christian, don’t mess with the light guy. He’ll set up the lights where you look fat, or make you look pale, or like a cardboard cut out, or worse, he’ll break out the pink, purple, and rainbow color gels ha ha. Look like the apocalypse happenned when the planet was overrun by German disco-teks. I understand as an actor that sometimes all the distractions can disrupt the immersion of character development, just can’t forget that the light guy is just as dedicated with his lights, it’s his thing, to make you look you’re absolute best. Happy belated Bithday to us by the way. Jan 30th rocks

You’d boycott him for yelling at a person months ago whom you don’t know and has forgiven him, #2?

Right, #6.

He repeatedly said that what he did was inexcusable, #8.

You don’t even know him to accuse him of such things, #14!

How was it self-centered in any way, #24?

Right, #28.

the rant and apology is his best acting yet.

He said he apologized to the DP that very day, which was seven months ago, by the way. He also said the guy did a great job. The person who has been hurt the most by this is Bale. He seemed to recognize this. I’m starting to think the real bullies in this episode are those of you who won’t accept the guy’s apology.

Leonardo..you dont have know actually know a person to have some insight into them based upon their actions. He was accused of hitting his own mother and certainly yelled at her…and now this issue with the movie. He was out of control and clearly has an issue with his anger. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that he does have a problem with staying inside the boundaries that most civilized people live by…his 4 minute tirade is a PERFECT example of that. People who have no problem with those boundaries do NOT scream and rant and curse at people the way he did.

come on, i think we all have done that, at least once, i even can remember the last time i did it and after five minutes of blowing up you always feel really bad after it, but sometimes there are certain ppl that never understands… and you loose your patience especially if you have a short patience…its not excusable but it happens…

if it was a quick outburst yaeh this apology would do we all snap sometimes but this was over 4 minutes i think and the guy even apologised over and over but Bale got angrier. He’s a **** ! It took him long enough to apologise anyway. His ego is out of control.

BECKY SMITH @ 02/06/2009 at 2:07 pm

His mother and sister admitted that it was a scam to get money from him.. Even the police said so.. and that is why they dropped the charges.. He is a perfectionist who likes to do things in one take..Do
you know how long you have to wait around for another take.. And he
admitted to his mistakes.. Did Alec get work after his tirade to his daughter yes!!! Everyone yells especially directors.. who yell and kick
things at actors all the time but we don’t have audio of that no way…
Just let it go already.. move on.. more important things than wasting
energy about this.. The director of Photography finished the movie
so there is no problem and this was last July not now. So I guess
that the D.A had no problem finishing the movie why release the
tape anyway..

He also says people should feel free to make fun of him, because he deserves it. All is forgiven, Bale.

Agree with everything jersey said. Sometimes people post hateful comments on the net about embarrassing celeb moments just to make themselves feel better. Bale is devoted to his craft, always has been. Ignorance seems to be prevalent around here.

And for those saying the rant went on and on. You must live in a bubble if you’ve never experienced an argument that’s lasted at least five minutes.

I don’t care how many times he apologizes; he’s a douche! How dare he yell at someone like that? That’s unexcusable no matter how bad your day is.

#33

It was “verbal assault”. What did he do? Hit her with a spit ball while he was cussing her?

He cusses…very well, I might add, get over it.

Just saying... @ 02/06/2009 at 2:16 pm

He did some much needed damage control perhaps at the studio’s request. He should have left it at the heartfelt apology and not turn it into a movie promo.

A true sign of a person’s character is how they act under stress. Only time will tell if he has learned anything.

Not familiar or comfortable with this notion of being a movie star? He proved the opposite. And he does act like he’s better than anyone on that set he was ranting on.
And no, I have never lost my temper like that. It’s just ridiculous to act all sorry, because his reaction was uncalled for. If he said one thing, ok, but he kept on going for FOUR minutes!

Just saying... @ 02/06/2009 at 2:24 pm

Also, like it or not Christian, you are a celebrity/movie star and a highly paid one at that. People look up to you and admire your work. Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

“…you dont have know [sic] actually know a person to have some insight into them based upon their actions. He was accused of hitting his own mother and certainly yelled at her…and now this issue with the movie. He was out of control and clearly has an issue with his anger.” – Lilianne

Cuz yelling at one’s parents has never happened before in the history of time? What kind of fairy tale world do you live in. His parents divorced when he was young, and he ended up living with his father. There’s bound to be resentment there and, yes, maybe it might be understandable. That’s why smart people reserve judgement not pass them around like candy as you do.

He said (and MANY others have said) that he was partly into the character and it was an intense movie scene. Do you have any perspective at all, or do you just read little snippets here and there so you can pass judgement? Seriously now …

my 2 cents... @ 02/06/2009 at 2:32 pm

A four minute profanity-laced screaming session is a dip into temporary insanity not a simple loss of temper. What would have happened if the DP screamed back or physically touched him?

Jersey…I dont have to get over anything. If I choose to be disgusted by his behavior then I will be. If you choose to be delighted by it then you will be. I won’t speak to anyone here directly unless they do so to me. I didnt even aim my second comment to you so I don’t see why you feel some need to answer me. If you don’t like what I have to say you are free to skip on past it and find someone who agrees with exactly how you feel.

Edumacated @ 02/06/2009 at 2:37 pm

Translation: The financial backers of the film, worried that international coverage of their star’s inexcusable antics will have a detrimental effect on box office receipts in this depressed economy, demanded that he make a phony public apology to a young, gullible audience that believes anything that comes out of a star’s mouth.

So, instead of holding him responsible for the inhumane way in which he spoke to an underling — conduct that could have been actionable under Title VII had the worker been a minority or a woman — you gullible kids smile compliantly and now get all warm and fuzzy inside because you feel he apologized personally to YOU. Well, he didn’t GENUINELY apologize to ANYONE. He merely conducted a public MARKETING PLOY. A genuine apology was owed ONLY to the DP not to anyone else, so there was no need for him to make it on a radio show. He needed only to go to the DP, LIKE A MAN, and apologize sincerely and privately. It should have then been up to the DP to determine whether he wanted to make their private, MAN-TO-MAN conversation, public. But there would have been no marketing value in that; it would have simply been the RIGHT THING TO DO.

It was degrading!

he’s on damage control now

A tantrum like that is not just a bad day. Talk to a psychologist. This man has an anger management problem. If he were truly sorry he would get some help. He does this crap outside the set of a show or movie and someone is going to give him a beat down. They won’t give a frick that he’s Christian Bale actor. Or maybe that’s his thing, he knows who to have these rants on. Bullies are like that. People can be ‘nice’ but it doesn’t exclude them from having some bad faults.

Nobody can really expect it was about what the dp was doing
…too much passion for that….it was just well EVERYTHING

Lilianne,

Wound up just a little too tight are we? Having a Bale moment? Strange. Exactly what you are accusing him of being? My point exactly. Now who is the pot calling the kettle black? I touched on a little nerve did I? Must be what happened to Bale with the DP.

Oh, and don’t worry, I will skip over your small little post, because you are a hypocrite, and you are wasting my time.

passing through @ 02/06/2009 at 2:47 pm

He should get help but his anger problems are still there. Life is not easy and this will only get worst for him.

Ok, Jersey. Feel free to call me names because it suits your purpose. If I am wound too tightly it would be because of people like you who think that his behavior is excusable. And I fail to see how I am having a “Bale moment.” That is laughable. I called YOU names? I cursed at you? I ranted for several minutes because you did something I didnt like? Sure…if it makes you feel better about things go ahead and call me names and say I am guilty of something I didnt do. I am done with this.

He apologized. End of story. Let’s not milk this til the cow dies. He put his foot in his mouth, apologized — I’m sure he’s apologized to person he went crazy on, so give it a rest people.

Im banking his temper will bite him again. We’ll see who is his next victim. This guy is rude to the paparazzis even to his own fans.

OH MY, MY, MY As The World Turns, and we move on…..

LEAVE CHRISTIAN ALONNNNNEEE !!!!!!!

Glad he apologized, although its understandable that everyone has a bad day the only difference is that celebrities are under a constant microscope and that would be enough for me to flip out once in a while too but that youtube remix is awesome, it gave me a good laugh all week !!!!

He’s only sorry cuz
he got
caught!!!!!

my 2 cents... @ 02/06/2009 at 3:06 pm

Why was this audio tape leaked to TMZ six months or more after the episode? Why didn’t it surface last summer or not at all?

I agree with the person who said that the only apology needed was to the DP but let extend that to include everyone on the movie set subjected to and affected by the explosion. No one, star or not, has any right to act the way. If that would have happened in any other workplace Bale would have been out on the street before he could utter another sound!

i like him very much as an actor… it’s quite hard to be always perfect for the media, everyone has raging days. Of course what he did was wrong but all this media circus is enough

maryrowery @ 02/06/2009 at 3:15 pm

I really like him, but it’s more then obvious that he has agner problems..
If he won’t do something about it this will be just the beginning of something worse

you go #30 I total beleive him

Apology Accepted

very true #62 and others Bale forgot his anger problems are not taken cared of.

Those of you who come on to him. PLease. We all have problems and get angry but his anger tantrum is like 2012 like the world ended or something.

“He who is without sin…cast the first stone”…

Stop judging him. He said he was sorry and MADE NO excuses…I respect him for that and he is a good actor. One of the few in Hollyweird…

I have been a fan since Bale was a teenager and have followed his career since then. There is no doubt that he is a great actor. That said, it is obvious that he is also a man with many many problems.

I agree completely with #47 – this apology is an excellent PR whitewash job just like the one they did after he verbally abused his mother and sister and was arrested. Whatever the relationship between mother and son there is no excuse for such behaviour! Years ago he was arrested for verbally attacking a girlfriend who complained to the police. Again dismissed and whitewashed! He really needs help before it destroys his career and also his marriage.

Okay, has everybody on here vented their spleen enough? I think this topic has been spoken about at length, lets move on, shall we? He probably does have some anger management issues, so what. It’s not like he went off at any of us, move on. Only time will tell what the depth of his anger issues are.

He doesn’t think of himself as a movie star? He has a hard time believing it? I don’t buy that. He has been a lead character in tons of big budget movies over recent years and he lives in LA. He tries to guard his family and has never given the press his daughter’s actual name. I respect that.

He definitely seems to be a conflicted man. He says he loves acting and put his all into each character and yet can not accept the fame and press coverage that go along with it. You can’t have one without the other. It is sad but true.

view on top @ 02/06/2009 at 3:42 pm

He did apologize, which I think he needed to do publicly. He realized he went way overboard in his anger which he at least recognizes. I still think a similar incident could happen again because that is just his disposition but if the DP is cool with him at this point then it’s time to move on from this story.

Man, he had it down until he said “‘Have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely?’”

I think he only said excuses too. He should apologize to the person he ranted on.

To view on top:Just curious, what if it was an actress who went off on a rant like that? I wonder how many actors would rush to her defense? I sometimes think there is a double standard especially in show biz that a man can get away with a lot more acting a certain way but for an actress it could have ended her career.

It would probably be seen as boys will be boys but women will be witches.

Baddypowder @ 02/06/2009 at 4:01 pm

Give the man a break, who knows what escapades do other A-list actors have, and we don’t know nothing about that. Like other famous actors and directors don’t swear or curse or whatever, oh please! As in any other job, some things that happen behind closed doors (in this case, on the set) should stay there (I bet you wouldn’t like the public to hear how you or your boss yelled at someone who messed up sth where you work).Christian had bad luck that someone posted this 7 MONTHS AFTER the actual thing happened, gosh! Both he and the DP have probably forgotten all about that until this showed up, he said that he apologized and they finished the film and moved on, what else do you people want, a press conference, him to kneel down on his knees and beg for the forgiveness of the public? What would satisfy you? Probably nothing! People and the media “live” for these things. If this were an ordinary man, nobody would care less, but nooo, this is Christian Bale, so it’s it’s safe and okay to make fun of him because he’s an actor and immediately a pompous a**. God forbid he says an f* word! He is immediately the bad guy and you are all puritans! Shame on you! Think about yourselves first and all your mistakes on and off work and then judge others.

The apology on the local radio just proved that he is a normal man and that this week hasn’t been easy for him and I’ll continue watching his films.

waterhouse @ 02/06/2009 at 4:09 pm

he doesnt need any forgiveness from us :D :D, so some of don´t be pathetic…

he´s a great acor!

H. I’m not bashing Bale. I just won’t bother seeing anymore of his movies. The apology was sincere and I’m sure he meant what he said. But, I totally intend to hold a grudge because I truly dislike stars who act like total asswipes and I refuse to give them my money. People are calling him “hot” and saying what a great actor he is and he should be “forgiven.” Well, it makes me mad that he can blow up and be forgiven when a good actress like Angelina Jolie, who has NEVER acted up on set, gets sh!t all the time just for being herself. It’s unfair. I hope people stop going to his movies completely. Then he can go back to being an unemployed, broke a$$ actor and see how it feels . . . again!!!

Here’s MY rant: GET OVER IT AND GET A LIFE, PEOPLE!

eh, he didn’t seem THAT sincere. especially that last part, if he’s implying that its the norm for people to lose their temper as bad as he did- at work not to mention, he’s dead wrong.

and he’s lying when he says he doesn’t think he’s better than everyone else. of course does. this whole thing happened because he thought getting his lines down was more important than that guy getting the lighting fixed.

what a douche.

Baddypowder @ 02/06/2009 at 4:29 pm

Everyone has their right to choose whether to watch his movies or not, there will always be people who love his work and those who don’t, like any other actor. Bale, Angie, Brad, etc. they all belong to a world we’ll never (most of us) be a part of and can’t even imagine what it’s like being in their skin always exposed to the public, so, I’ll keep watching their movies in the theaters and enjoy my private life… :-))

Fanny Steinburg @ 02/06/2009 at 4:32 pm

Bale got caught on tape, with his horrendous rant.
This rant happened LAST JULY 2008.
Bale had to come out and do damage control, as the BIG BOSSES don’t want the movie to fail at the summer Box Office.
Would we have really known the real Christian Bale, if he wasn’t caught on tape?
Either way, I do think Bale blew his chance of getting an Oscar for his other movie- Public Enemies.
No Oscar for this bad boy.

elanenergy @ 02/06/2009 at 4:33 pm

I forgive, but I do not forget, CB. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are sincerely sorry, but one more outburst like that, and we are done professionally. lol

An apology laced with excuses, clearly damage control, the guy needs help, he’s still a douche. Did he apologize this “sincerely” to the guy when it was over? Or is he only repentent after he’s been caught out? I think the latter. End of story.

I don’t buy it. This is damage control. He has issues and shoudl treat them before he kills someone.

“But enough about me. What do YOU think about me?”

*******. Notice that he never once even mentions the name of his victim…and yes, the lighting director is a victim, because this little **** wields the power on the set, and the lighting director can indeed be fired.

I don’t work in film. I work in the theatre, where this little shithead apparently think he belongs. Stay in Hollywood, creep. We don’t want you. Or Jeremy Piven either.

He thinks it’s the swear words that offends people? How clueless. An apology to the poor guy on the other end of that disgusting rant is in order. Until then, I think he has the whole “movie star” thing down pat.

lakers fan in boston @ 02/06/2009 at 4:55 pm

psssh who cares
he was more funny that mean tbh =]

He is trying to save face, which he has to do. Hopefully he has learned that in a professional environment there is a proper way to handle anger and threatening physical violence isn’t the way. Sure, everybody has bad days, but that doesn’t make it all right to go on for four minutes threatening and cursing at someone because they made a mistake.

He looks old for his age because he’s always angry and grumpy.I so wonna bet in his coming photo ops and movie pr he will be all smiles and soooooo adorable to his fans so his angry disturbing image will go away.

JJ -

The pix and article on Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie visiting Karenni Refugee Camp @ ReserveResult.com

(RR)

completely understandable, he doesn’t have to apologize.
love you always christian <3

Ummm….I’ve never flipped out on someone like that. The one time I did get defensive is when some strange guy grabbed a friend of mine. We all have our limits but how you act on it is another thing. Plus, before giving him kudos for apologizing, remember that this apology comes after being backed into a media corner. This happened awhile ago. His act of aggression is forgivable, but not excusable. Hope he goes to anger management.

Ask yourself If you are having a bad day at your work could you (would you) scream like that to a fellow employee? The answer is of course not. But because Mr Bale is a movie star and knows that he would not be fired, he let his anger and ego take over.

This apology is such as pr move. What Mr Bale should have done is in publicly apologize to the man he was screaming at not apologize to us.

He is okay by my book. Everyone has a bad day and he’s on a million dollar set. He doesn’t want to waste the scene and waste the film. Clint Eastwood only does one take for his movies and he pockets the savings, so Bale is lucky to get a second take and not waste everyone’s money.

charles Levan @ 02/06/2009 at 6:46 pm

I gladly give him the benefit of the doubt and appreciate his apology but the bottom line is that rant sounds, to me anyway, to be evidence of a serious problem. I suspect this is not his first and probably not his last and apologies only go so far.

Is this like the husband who beats you regularly and brings you flowers later to apologize?

“Christian continues, “One thing that has really disturbed me throughout this is I’m not familiar or comfortable with this notion of being a movie star. I’m an actor and I’m don’t quite know how to handle [the movie star thing].”
*******************************************************************************************

Oh bullshit. He’s been acting since he was 13 years old. He’s a loudmouth emotionally immature punk with an attitude. Period.

Ain’t Karma a *****! Be careful how you treat people or in the end it bites you in the butt! I hope Bale learned his lesson from this ordeal, its obvious he has anger issues, go get help.

Makes you wonder about that “incident” involving his mom and sister.

Cooooooookie @ 02/06/2009 at 7:18 pm

He’s an artist. Artists are almost always douches. But I don’t think he is one. If people judged Picasso’s art by the his character, he wouldn’t be the most famous artist in history, would he? Don’t judge someone’s art by their character it’s petty and it’s what stupid people do. Now, you don’t want to be a stupid person, do you?

Flush him. He’s crap.

Alexkziel @ 02/06/2009 at 8:01 pm

man, I used to love and respect him, I love Empire of the Sun and American psycho. He disappointed me with his crazy rant. I think he is sincere, I hope he apologizes with the poor guy too.

I wish someone will follow these haters and record their juciest cuss words for everyone in the internet to hear. Just that no one would care.

Who cares what he said, to whom, and if he apologized or not. Movie stars are just people. Oh sure, many feel self-important and entitled, but mostly in their own minds.

this incident was 6 months ago and for all we know apologizes were made at the time. to Christian for disrespecting him by walking onto the set — which a so called professional like a DP knows better than do to once much less more than once as he did. to the DP for yelling on the middle of the set and not taking it to trailers etc.

but the apology that has yet to be made is to Christian for releasing the tape. there was no need to do it other than to be a jerk to him. some sound editor or such thought it would be funny, profitable, whatever. that’s tacky. almost as tacky as the republishing but of course once it was out there how could the gossip sites resist. can’t dare be one up’d by another site. violates the gossipers code of conduct.

if you think he’s a self centered jerk. don’t buy magazines with him on the cover, don’t see his movies etc. that’s on you.

GIVE HIM A BREAK @ 02/06/2009 at 9:30 pm

He is a humble actor and never acts like he is a big star. All you heard from the tape is his swearing but there was no footage of what was happening in film. Perhaps the guy that made him mad was bothering him so much and he had to stop him from doing that several times.
I still like Christian Bale regardless.

In response to Mr Bale’s question ‘has anyone ever had a bad day and regretted it immensely?’ The answer is; yes, I have. But I, like the majority of the population, don’t have the luxury or desire to use a co-worker as a verbal punching bag. You did. And you should be as sorry as you say your are.
The true test will be whether you feel justified in ever doing it again. You’re not. You never will be. Talent aside, the only reason you were treated as deferentially as you were when you put on this display is because you ARE Christian Bale. Because you’re famous. And whether or not you’re used to it, you are and you know it. You know it every time you go to an swanky opening or cash your paycheque. In any other profession you would never have been allowed the freedom to be that obnoxious and insulting. You have a responsibility to behave better because of who you are. And if you don’t understand that, then you don’t deserve the rewards you have been given.
I hope you remember this incident. And I hope you shutup the next time you feel that level of rage come on. You haven’t earned the right. No one has.
and ps..I AM an actor and I’ve seen your type of behaviour before. It’s nothing new and it’s not appropriate. You’re not in character, you’re in the character of famous actor Christian Bale. Remember. And Behave.

I think those of you who are still being nasty because you say he is not apologizing to the DP have not really been paying attention to anything. This happened almost a year ago. He apologized to him then, they have made up and went on with their lives. He is apologizing to the public now because there was such an outcry about old news. I myself have heard alot worse than his tape, when I worked at the sheriff’s office as a dispatcher and jail supervisor(by the employees not the inmates). I heard this kind of thing almost on a daily basis. And as far as his mother, I have had yelling matches with my own mom and I am sure I am not the only one. He is one of the best actors I have ever seen and I admire and support him. I think some of you just trash on him because it makes you feel better about yourselves….that’s pretty sad…..Before you judge him, read about him, watch his biography on tv, you might be suprised and impressed by what you learn…..

remember the truth @ 02/06/2009 at 10:34 pm

You people holding this grudge against Bale arn’t really people at all. I don’t even think you’re human to say the least. After he has apologised you ppl go on about how he shouldhave done this instead or bla bla bla…..Who the **** are any of you ppl kidding? There is no doubt in my mind you have friends that flip out like this, but have choosen to ignore it or are oblivious to it because of the pact you have with them. Has no other human being on this earth flipped out on someone for God-knows-whatever-reason(s) and felt bad about it after because it wasn’t their fault? If you haven’t you must never have taken a dump before, either. I think he is a great actor, simple man, and very humble about his work. I knwo ppl working at ******* Mcdonalds who arn’t as pleasant., what’s thier excuse? Living the simple life, are we? I feel like it’s my job to educate the retarded, in this case many of YOU’s. God-forbid I was a celebrity and I had written this, I might as well have given you all a heart attack, LOL. Time to grow up and wake up from your arrogant, oblivious ways. SOFTIES :D

His apology is useless when he’s not signing up for anger management.

you’re still a f’ing prick

Still a tool and his apology seemed like a studio ploy not a personal enlightenment for him. Get help,Bale!

I like him *better* now.

Here’s my take on the whole thing: “Anger Management”. :D

I don’t have to forgive him, it’s not for me to. It’s not about forgiveness on my part…that belongs to the DP and the people on set that had to endure this senseless behavior. As for me, though, I’ve never been that interested in him as an actor, and this did nothing to change that.

He’s a bum! No more of his movies for me!

I think there is no need for Mr Bale apologize to the public because what happened has nothing to do do with the public. It happened on the set and was resolved on the set that very day.

He already said that he apologized to the whole crew right after the incident (which happened months ago), DP included. DP was not fired and they continued to work with each other. Case closed.

There’s nothing that he can do that will make the public happy now. When he did not comment, everyone says he’s a jerk. He apologizes and everyone says its PR. He cannot win.

oldnewtown @ 02/07/2009 at 1:03 am

Fantastic! His performances are still coma-inducing.

Bale….you are a filthy animal who deserves zero respect from anybody, anywhere.
Fcuk you and your fcuking movies you limp d*ck fcuktard.
Go and fix that lisp you have got going there. You sound like a fcuking p u s s y.
Maggot.

“still no sorry to his unlucky cinematographer? then it’s not called apology, it’s excuse.”

Morons should stop posting already. They made up a long time ago. Do some research or something. He was apologizing to fans today who may have heard the rant and rushed to judge. Ya know, idiots who comment on here and spread hate meanwhile not realizing the hypocrisy of what they’re doing. The difference? These people get to do it anonymously while sitting at their desk eating cheetos cuz that’s what the internet is for – to slander people anonymously. And you all do it so well. Pretty sad.

“You know, as if screaming at the top of your lungs for 4 minutes was the kind of thing all of us have done at work.”

If your work involved millions of dollars and opening yourself to being a completely different character, then perhaps it would be understandable to most who have this magical thing called perspective. But you’re right, it probably wouldn’t be understandable to someone like you working at Burger King.

I don’t know what to think about this.Ive seen worse.

Baddypowder @ 02/07/2009 at 6:16 am

la. I totally agree with you. I still don’t understand people here who keep saying he should apologize to the DP, that he didn’t mention his name in the apology, etc. Well, guys, first you should hear the entire apology (it lasts 10 minutes, so I guess your concentration span isn’t that long, you probably haven’t even heard it, you’ve just read the title of the article and this was enough for you to make more nasty comments) and then you would hear that he does mention his name (Shane), that he praises his good work and says that they had resolved all this back on the set 7 months ago just after the incident and went on shooting the entire film. So why should he apologize to him again now? So that the public can make fun of him even more? Gimme a break, you hypocrites!

Big deal we’ve all had a bad day, I don’t know whats so wrong about it . I know I’m not perfect in anyway..I don’t think you have to apologize it was awhile ago…

Just don’t forget the most important thing: we got an awesome remix out of it.

I Love Velvet Goldmine @ 02/07/2009 at 11:14 am

I just watched ‘Empire of the Sun’ and its amazing what a good actor he is even at such a young age. I think if he has the feeling for things he’ll let you know that seems to be the method to his acting so he must of thought if only for a minute losing temper that it was for a purpose. Come on people this guy is the ****. Don’t hate on him. Still can’t believe he got to play Jesus on the big screen and who can forget Patrick Bateman. And being Batman aswell. in my eyes hes unstoppable whereas Brangelina, TomKat, Jennifer Anistons, Claire Daneses and all these other stupid, boring nobody ***** you put out there can kiss my ******* ass!

#22 Junk : He not may not be the most agreeable person but a great actor he is so **** you Ur jealous or just bullshit yourself

#22 Junk: Hello? A **** actor he is not he may not be the most agreeable person but talent as an actor he has. Bullshit I think you’re jealous.

at least, he admits his mistakes, it’s not evryone in hollywood, who could do this, there’s so much ego !

I like him no matter what!

Although it’s true that Mr. Bale is just a regular person who can lose his temper, you kind of expect a celebrity to have more poise on the set than the average bum. Actually, I heard a bum last night swearing like Mr. Bale last night!

Then again, what do you expect of actors who make terrible movies!

I don’t think I could conscionably continue to support Christian’s career after learning what an A**Hole he is. Any movie that I watch of his from now on will be a bootleg. No excuse for his rant. For the money he makes I think he can afford to be a little nicer to the set people. I hope his carreer is finished.

He is unstoppable???? we shall see. With no anger classes he will have more psychoness to come. He has no class @ all.

Edumacated @ 02/07/2009 at 4:28 pm

Angelica @ 02/07/2009 at 6:38 am My boyfriend works in one big company and when he listened to the Bale tape he said it was nothing compared to what he hears every day. Once his boss screamed at him and threw papers and files at him when he messed something up. He was so loud (and for justified reasons) that his assistant started crying. But, they’ve continued working on later as if nothing happened, and my boyfriend has learned so much from his boss in a professional sense and all this yelling at him has only made him stronger and wiser.
************************************

With all due respect, if your boyfriend allowed someone to THROW files at him and speak to him as if he were subhuman, then your boyfriend is a frightened little wuss.

In life, you TEACH people how to treat you. I am an attorney and business owner and NEVER have I allowed anyone to treat me with disrespect in the workplace, and that includes partners at major law firms. A boss is your professional superior and has the right to reprimand you, but NO ONE has the right to be abusive.

The second you allow someone to treat you as if you are something on the bottom of their shoe, it empowers them to do so again and again and again. That your boyfriend thinks he DESERVES to be treated in that manner and thinks his boss’ cruelty is an some way a GOOD thing speaks volumes about your poor boyfriend’s self esteem. He sounds like the prototypical battered wife who thinks she DESERVES to be verbally abused by her husband and is then oh so grateful when he brings her flowers.

The next time it happens, you boyfriend should say the following: “Mr. X, I fully respect your position here and welcome your constructive criticism, but I am a professional. I don’t clean your toilets or shine your shoes and don’t appreciate being spoken to as if you think I do. Please make your points without being verbally abusive. And if you ever THROW anything at me again, I will file a formal complaint with Human Resources, as well as consider any legal action that I deem appropriate under the circumstances. Of course, I am certain it won’t come to that since I know we both have the capacity to conduct ourselves in a professional manner.”

Undecided @ 02/07/2009 at 4:53 pm

This is a pattern with verbal abusers….unfortunately he has exploded over and over….I think the guy is whack….

bale is wrong @ 02/07/2009 at 5:20 pm

This is why America and the world is getting worst because insanity like this gets a free pass.

We wait for something really bad to happen to take action which is unacceptable.

EDUMACATED WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!

lola @ 02/07/2009 at 1:11 pm
_______________________________________________

Of course he admitted, how could he not? It’s out there for the world to see AND he’s got a movie coming out. The sad part is, when he did share with the world how much he regretted it, he still made excuses for it. So, you know….whatever. AGAIN, it really sounds like the guy needs help because he has a wife and child that could come face to face with one of his “bad days”….tell me, do you/would you scream at your child for 4 minutes and be justifed in it? And if there was no one there to hold you back, take it further? It’s called self control and it only takes one time letting go of it to this extent to ruin everything. The only thing hurt right now is his pride and image, but if it is allowed to go unchecked and excuses are made for it time and again, it could eventually turn out worse.

JUST STOP IT @ 02/07/2009 at 6:51 pm

THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE DEFENDING HIM…JUST STOP IT!!!! YES HE APOLOGIZED AND THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT. BUT DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT THIS IS THE 1ST AND OR THE LAST TIME HE WILL EXPLODE! STOP EXCUSING HIS RAGES AND SEE THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE…ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES. HE NEEDS COUNSELING OR DO SOME OF YOU BELIEVE HE HAD NO PART IN THE ISSUES LAST YEAR WITH HIS MOTHER? LOOK AT HIS WIFE’S DEMEANOR, THE MAN HAS ISSUES AND HE NEEDS HELP. MOST OF YOU WOULDN’T ECUSE HIM IF HE WERE YOUR NEIGHBOR OR OR IF YOU WERE THE PERSON ON THE RECEIVING END, SO DON’T EXCUSE HIM NOW. UNKNOWN OR KNOWN…HE STILL NEEDS HELP.

well mr bale can yell at me anytime rawr… :*

Yea…but would Christian have really been sorry if this audio tape hadn’t leaked? Did he apologize to the guy he was yelling at back then? That’s what I want to know! I have had bad days and have said sorry after. But did he?

blarrrghhhh @ 02/07/2009 at 9:37 pm

Apparently his mom said that it’s “just his temper” and it hurt her to hear her son like that. The statement suggest its not just a random flip out that “everyone has once in awhile” like a lot of people are saying. Bale doesn’t need our forgiveness, but for his own mental health and blood pressure he should see a counselor. He physically threatened a guy. If that happened to me, even if the person apologized, I’d accept his apology but there’s no way we’d be cool after belittling me like that in public.

Callie, two words – get help!

Edumacated @ 02/08/2009 at 10:44 pm

callie @ 02/08/2009 at 4:11 pm ok im happy that he made a statment and u know what all u ppl that sit there and say that u wont see his movies u know what im just like him i get into outbursts like that and iv actually gotten were i was hurting someone not just by words and you know what we all have our bad days so leave the poor guy alone.
********************************************

And any “bad day” that you had that involved physical violence against another person should have ended with you posing for a mug shot, just as Bale’s bad day should result in his suffering where it will really hurt — at the box office. We don’t live in a society in which anyone should ever have to be victimized by anyone else because they can’t control themselves.

Unbelievable @ 02/08/2009 at 10:58 pm

Wow… Just incredibly stupid. Bale is telling the DP how unprofessional he is? How ironic! Oh but what pains me the most in all this… Is the fact that people actually buy into this “apology”?! Come on people. Please for the love of god take off the blinders. Do you honestly think Bale would have prepared an apology had this audio not been released? Yes I do believe he is wholeheartedly sorry. Sorry, that he got caught… Damage control as another commenter said.

Granted, I won’t be watching anything with him as leading role. Not because of his rant though. I just think he’s a witless hack and most times that I watch him his acting just makes me cringe with embarrassment for him. Have you ever seen an actor try so hard to appear genuine? Painful really… I can certainly see why he’d be so stressed. He doesn’t believe he does a good enough job I’m sure. And it shows. Oh well. Life goes on.

blarrggggg @ 02/09/2009 at 9:53 am

Here’s a pic of Bales’ wife sitting in the director’s chair between takes on the set of Terminator.
Seems like bad form to me and a bit audacious.

I can’t believe how personal people are taking this drivel!! Who cares? You don’t even know these people.

He shouldn’t even have to apologize to a whole bunch of strangers who downloaded a leaked audio from the internet. On top of that, it happened more than half a year ago, and everyone has reconciled since than.

The general public can be such pompous dummies.

Whilst it’s a sincere apology, I CAN ask myself if I’ve ever had a bad day and lost my temper and regretted it, and the answer is: NEVER TO THAT EXTENT, FOR THAT LONG! Not even in the darkest of times. My best wishes to him in hoping he can discover in himself that he needs to do more than give an apology and maybe get some help. Now THAT would gain more sympathy and support.

Hem… i think from those who gave comments on this page, only few really listened to the apology.

1. He clearly stated it’s inexcusable and he went overboard.
2. He said many people had their opinions on this thing but NONE were there (which is true indeed) so NONE of us really know what triggered that rant.
3. He clearly said it was resolved in the SAME day (meaning 7 MONTHS ago) of the incident (McG and Bryce also said the same thing) and he worked with the DP for at least another month after that.
4. He did mentioned the DP name several times, praised him and explained he is A BIG GUY to be bullied of for a start.
5. For people who doubt his statement as “feeling uncomfortable with the notion of movie star”, you should read the story where he had really bad time in school (got bullied etc) after filming Empire of the Sun, the experience made him stop acting for almost 1 year. He liked the experience of acting but not the label goes with it (“movie star”) and the consequences. And judging from his choices of movies after Empire (but prior to Batman Begins), he always picked somewhat indie movie types that shun him out off the glamour, which i do not think coincidental. For more info, you can check his biography in youtube in which all comentators said exactly the same thing, that is, Bale is the type of actor who never wants to be under spotlight. He rarely gives interviews other than for promoting his movies. Unfortunately with Batman and Terminator, he will be under spotlight.

Again, likewise, this is the problem between him and the DP. As long as it has been resolved between them and both have moved on, we have no business at all. As far as we know, nobody was fired, Bale regretted his mistake on the same day, and all went straightback to their profesionalism.

Besides, I love Terminator series and would certainly watch the WAR we’ve seen the glimpses only in T1 and T2.

I will never understand why so many people care so much about the personalities of actors. As an actor Christian Bale is fantastic. As far as who he is as a person – don’t care. Did he mean his apology? Maybe. Maybe not. Did he act like a jerk? Absolutely. Does it have any effect on whether or not I’ll see his movies in the future? None. I don’t care. In fact, I prefer to know nothing about actors as people – let their work speak for itself. Whatever their real-life personality is, it makes no difference to their performance, therefore it makes no difference to me. This is why I don’t read Hollywood magazines, and the only reason I’m commenting on this is because it was linked from the rant remix.

Honestly – if you liked his movies before, just ignore this whole thing. Who cares what he’s like in person? You’re not going to his movies to see him as Christian Bale.

Does no one else find it odd that so many people in this world are celebrity obsessed and actually care to comment about an ACTOR? Don’t get me wrong artists contribute a great deal to our lives. But wouldn’t you agree here are so many more important things to be focused on?

This guy is a human being. Not a deity. He’s as average as anyone else on the planet. Just like all the other celebrities. AND athletes. Most of these people are ENTERTAINERS. And sadly America is nothing without it’s entertainment.

I can understand he was having a bad day. everybody has them. I can also understand that his job comes with a great deal of stress with everyone around you expecting perfection. I admit I have had days like that where I just lost it. But I have to say that I havent never gone off on anyone like that. When I blow up, I make it a point to go away from everyone. If he had talked to me like that, Im afraid I wouldnt have handled it as well as the fella that took his ass chewing. Im afraid I would have gotten a bit physical.

I was inclined to hate on him when the rant first came out and I still have reservations about him. BUT, there’s no getting past the truth in the observation that everyone has unlovely moments in their lives that they wish they could take back. Although I don’t think I’ve ever gone off on anyone quite to the extent that he did, certainly it’d be a flat-out lie to deny ever losing my temper and regretting it deeply. So on those grounds, I just don’t see any reason to sit in permanent judgement over him. The man made what sounds like a sincere apology, so unless he does it again, he’s got my vote.

______________________________________
Sorry, “Edumacated,” but you devalued your entire argument right there. Or was it your intention to imply that a person whose job DOES include cleaning toilets or shining shoes DOES deserve to be spoken to in such a fashion? If so, apparently your definition of who does/doesn’t deserve respect relies more on who makes more/less money and less on simply being a human being. But then again, being a lawyer, I suppose that fits perfectly into your world-view ;-)

Calling Mr. Bateman.

ahw poor baleman! i totally get it dude i love you all the same!

@Lia:

Why would he have to apologize to us? He said nothing he did excuses his actions.

What the hell, everybody expects celebrities to be some kind of PERFECT, IDEAL human being that never gets angry and never makes mistakes. And if they flip out (like any of have done in the past on a bad day), it becomes this horrible revelation and they instantly become some kind of mega douche-bag that ever existed. Seriously? I feel sorry for the guy, it just HAPPENED that his flip-out was recorded and spread online, ruining the majority of his reputation forever. I don’t understand what you guys who call him a douche-bag are thinking.