Subway Saves Michael Phelps

Subway Saves Michael Phelps

Although Olympics hero Michael Phelps lost his Kellogg’s endorsement, sandwich chain Subway announced Friday it still supports him.

“Like most Americans, and like Michael Phelps himself, we were disappointed in his behavior,” the statement said. “Also like most Americans, we accept his apology. Moving forward, he remains in our plans.”

One week ago, Phelps was criticized for smoking from a marijuana pipe. Since then, he has apologized but has been suspended from competitive swimming for three months.

Getty

Even though I am also disappointed in his behavior, in the long term, in sports history, he will be remembered with his records not with the bong incident. So, whoever keeps their sponsorship will still gain not lose….

mmmmmm sooo hungry for subway.

Is there are reason you can’t use the word “bong”? It’s not a marijuana pipe. That would be a small, probably metal, pipe. A bong is entirely different in that it uses water. What is the “media’s” aversion to the word “bong”? It’s like if they use it, people will think they smoke pot too, god forbid!

Good for you phelps….

Gooberboy has the munchies…

Subway’s new sandwich should be! the 12″ Olympic Munchie Meatball
And their new tagline can be: Subway; the munchie choice of Olympians!’

Ms. princess @ 02/07/2009 at 2:08 pm

YEA SUBWAY!!! I ALWAYS I ALWAYS LOVED SUBWAY. I THINK I WILL TELL ALL MY FRIENDS TO GO EAT SUBWAY TODAY.

He’s been racked over the coals long enough, time to move on! Kudos to Subway for keeping him on the payroll. I think he is a good kid. Notice I used the word “kid”, owing to the fact that I still think he has a lot of growing up to do. However, I think he’ll turn out just fine. Time to put this puerile indiscretion to rest and focus on other things!

I totally agree. Good for Subway and for Phelps! I will go and a subway sandwich in support of their decision.

any companies who drop their endorsement are idiots, because phelps is obviously still bringing money to these money grubbers. they should see this situation from the business standpoint.

even though! the m issue still annoys me!

seriously im tired of hearing about the bong thing its like get over it…lol half the people who had a problem with it know damn well they’ve done it

He made a mistake, now lets move on!

mmmmmm sooo hungry for subway

OMG ME TOO!!!!

cheninator @ 02/07/2009 at 2:41 pm

oh gos what an ugly f*cker he is.

[☆I n F a m o u s☆] @ 02/07/2009 at 2:41 pm

blah.. he doesn’t even need’em. he still has about 7 other endorsements. subways is disgusting. blimpie’s the sheeeeeit!

lmao, the media is trying so hard to make him the next Kate Moss. It’s not really working. He still has loads of endorsements left. Kate was dropped from several designers within a few days!

Wait a minute – Subway who has made such a big deal about calories and fat content is throwing out Jared for Phelps who eats a 12,000 calories a day diet?

I do not see his appeal . . .really. Not the most attractive and judging by his behaviour not the smartest. I mean you are in the media why would you allow yourself to be photographed with a bong????
If he would not of won 8 medals and only won like 1 or 2, I doubt anyone would care.

lakers fan in boston @ 02/07/2009 at 3:45 pm

wow…..lucky
im really surprised by how many of his deals have accepted the apology
and i’m getting a craving for subway, that sandwich actually looks good =\

how stupid!!

now i have hungry :D

bong…bong…bong…bonggggggg

Good for subway! I haven’t gone there in years, but I think I’ll go this weekend.

Ew….okay then, NO SUBWAY for me. And so does everyone I know. They are all very disappointed in him already.

Lmao, so what, he smoked a freakin’ bong. Doesn’t change the fact that he is still one of the greatest swimmers and athletes of our time. Society needs to get over this aversion to marijuana. Unless someone is wasting their life away on it, a little toke on the pipe every now and then is the equivalent to treating oneself to a drink. Doesn’t change my opinion of him one bit.

Enough already.

Politicians who are tax cheats; All they have to do is say ” I made a mistake” and they keep their jobs.
A 23 year old kid smokes some weed and he gets crucified.

HillaryDuffisaskankho @ 02/07/2009 at 5:22 pm

This guy has to have one of the ugliest faces in the world. Good thing he’s good at something, because his looks would get him NO WHERE in life.

Good for Subway! Love Phelps!

knock knock jared @ 02/07/2009 at 6:08 pm

I thought it calls eating fresh not trash . sorry dude this guy couldnt have one without using drugs . is the message to all kids use drugs otherwise you cant make it

michael phelps is a ****

They should dump his stupid drug taking azz.

I personally don’t care what Phelps does, but if owned a major corporation, I wouldn’t want an openly using druggie as a symbol of my company. It sends a really bad message to kids in particular…. “Hey, be like Michael Phelps and smoke dope in a bong, then you’ll win lot’s of medals!!”

Besides, he’s getting fat, and that’s another bad message.

Subway is nasty. I prefer Quiznos.

#27, and just why should ANYBODY expect their looks to get them anywhere in life?

While I don’t agree that using marijuana is a good message to send, I know that it’s also not up to celebrities and athletes to parent our impressionable children. Parents should talk to their children and explain how Michael messed up and what he, or anybody, is risking by adopting that type of behavior. Seriously, though, I’m really kind of fed up with all these “tattle tale” leaks to media about famous people.

Also, even though Michael eats 12,000 calories a day, why wouldn’t he endorse Subway? They don’t sell low-fat options only, they also have stuff for people who aren’t looking for lower-calorie options.

I agree with #26

Subway should have also said, “like many people under the age of 25, he smoked pot. Big deal.” I think Michael is stupid for doing it in public, but he’s faaaar from the first person to smoke pot. It’s really not a big deal.

Aww, its awfully kind of Subway to give the shortbus boy a break! Beep beep the shortbus is here Mikey, and it’s full of subway sandwiches to shove up yer chocolate portal!!!

GOLLY GEE…. I GUESS I”LL HAVE TO STOP EATING SUBWAYS

wow, i can see it now.-subways new $5 marijuana foot long!

Hahaha funniest **** ever!

Dudes got his munch on.

Good decision Subway, i love both Subway and Phelps!!

one thing subway forgot to mention was the fact that like all americans, people make mistakes!

Smart move, Subway.

Nothing tastes better than a foot-long Spicy Italian on Italian herbs and cheese (with provolone) when you’ve got the munchies!

Stop it Jughead! You’re torturing me, cause that’s my favorite and I want it NOW! With oil and vinegar and loads of pepperoncinis! YUM! I would never be a fool and quit eating my fave sandwich because their sponsor took a bong hit. Yes, it was stupid and wrong to do it while he is sponsoring companies, but people make mistakes and I’m glad Subway have handled things the way they have. Let’s move on, already!

29-stoner! @ 02/08/2009 at 1:42 am

#29, you seem to be on something yourself, so quit judging other people’s actions. There is no message being sent, other than that our hero is human and Subway is forgiving.

Kelloggs is full of benzene and not the food of a champion…and if they don’t want any smokers buying their product, fine, I doubt many will after this anyway.

im happy for him. just bcuz he smoked alittle reefer doesnt mean he cant be a good role model. kelloggs lost soemthing real good, alots of people including myself support michael 100%….and he is so fine!

imaginaque @ 02/08/2009 at 11:37 am

Celebrity endorsements are such a waste of time. Do any of us really check to see if our favorite celebrity endorses a restaurant/brand we like before we spend money on it?

Also, Michael’s prowess in the pool doesn’t necessarily put him above being stupid. He’s a good swimmer, not a superhero or a god. He may, or may not, be a good person. All we really know about him is that he broke records, he’s earning a ton of money from it, and that he likes a bong now and then. So the UCKF what.

The NEW Subway AD:

Michael Phelps is freshly baked, like our bread!

And all the stoners rejoice as they can now go to subway instead of quiznos when they get the munchies!!!

UG-A-LY!!!!

Yes, the issue is old, BUT, Michael is in the public spotlight, and so many young kids, worshipped him….He made a hugh mistake and I’m sure his mother, who was so proud of him, is sad also, that this ” mistake ” occurred….
Maybe Michael needs to change his friends,,, The ones who provided ” the bong and drugs ” to begin with…Sure he had a choice, and as the saying goes, ” he chose poorly “……He is talented, but so were alot of other olympiads……..He rose to fast to the spotlight, and cannot handle it………A friend quoted that ” Michael was shy and sweet to everyone “, BUT NOW, ” his ego needs to be brought down quickly “……His 15 minutes are up for awhile…

I love Subway and I love Michael Phelps!

He smoked some pot. Who cares? He did not make a mistake. This media frenzy is absurd. If he was fall down drunk no one would bat an eye. I do not understand why this country makes such a big deal out of a substance that has been proven (by US Gov’t research, no less) to be far less dangerous than alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, prescription meds, etc… This is a tremendous waste of time and energy when there are real problems to focus on. For what it is worth, I do not smoke pot. So, all of you finger-pointers out there, throw away your cigarettes, pour your wine down the drain, flush your valium and prozac, stop brewing your coffee and face your hypocrisy. Wake up, America!