Beyonce & Hugh Jackman Bring Back Musicals

Beyonce & Hugh Jackman Bring Back Musicals

Oscar host Hugh Jackman and singer Beyonce jazz up the 2009 Oscars with a Bubsy Berkley inspired stage performance on Sunday evening (February 22).

Together with real-life couples Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens (High School Musical) and Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper (Mamma Mia!), the sixtet performed memorable songs from several musicals including Chicago and Moulin Rouge.

TELL JJ: What was your favorite performance of the night?

10+ pics inside…

hugh jackman beyonce oscar musical 08
hugh jackman beyonce oscar musical 09
hugh jackman beyonce oscar musical 10
hugh jackman beyonce oscar musical 11

ABC

zanessa!!

Yay! I love Zanessa. I wish they could have had more parts to sing though.

they are amazing! especially zanessa!

they are amazing! especially zanessa!

raysa - brazil @ 02/23/2009 at 12:45 am

this appresentation was great :D

FREIDA FAN @ 02/23/2009 at 12:46 am

beyonce and hugh were amazing!!!
AR Rahman for slumdog also amazing.

great oscars!

Alright it was amazing but hugh and beyonce could have done that alone as well, they were just dancing behind them… wow

zaaaaaaaaaaashley @ 02/23/2009 at 12:46 am

ZANESSA SUCKS, PLEASE DIE VANESSA, HATE YA, TOTALLY AZSHLEY.

vanessa looked like a *****, please.

jared i’m sure has been dying to post this video… pointless of zanessa being there it was a Beyonce performance

I can’t stand Beyonce, but Hugh was great!

I can’t stand Beyonce, but Hugh was great!

Hugh was brilliant!!! *applause*

Watching that video was pure torture.

This was my favorite performance. It was really cool, and i liket it even more because Vanessa Hudgens was there, Gosh¡ she’s so talented, and she looked HOT , incredibly stunning, but Beyonce completely stole the show ( I did like her) I wanted to see a little bit more of Vanessa and Zac but It was a pretty good performance

cheninator @ 02/23/2009 at 12:56 am

this was totally hugh and beyonces performance.

all this “zanessa were amazing” WTF they sang a few lines from ONE SONG, that was all, no one would have even noticed them if it wasnt for them singing a few lines. i felt bad for them though and amanda and domonic they werent needed.

i hate beyonce but damn she was amazing. hugh was amazing never knew he could sing and he looked hot in the tux.

Hugh rocked it. Such class, grace and talent. How lucky for us that someone finally did this show right. It was a fabulous show!

this was good but by far the best was Seth Rogan & James Franco sketch. That was HILARIOUS. i am waiting for that video.

This is show business at its best! yes, Hugh, musicals are back! And Beyonce was sensational as always. Great stuff.

HUGH TOTALY SO AMAZING PERFORMANCE, HE IS VERY GOOD DANCE & HAVE VERY GOOD VOICE, VERY TALENTED ACTOR.

this was by far my favourite part of the whole show
awesome performance!

It was a waste of 5 mins, stuff like these need to be cut out of the Oscars to shorten it. No wonder it is so damn long.

The musical served no purpose.

shenanyginz @ 02/23/2009 at 1:06 am

I loved it! Beyonce was soooooooooo lucky she got to dance with Hugh like that! great performance!

hugh was so great as host! i really enjoyed the opening. the musical number was boring.

Beyonce and Hugh were amazing. Could have done without talentless “Zanessa” there. They sounded horrible and shame on Efron for ruining Beyonce’s “At Last”.

this was the best performance for sure :)
zanessa rocked the house as well as the rest <333

#2 this is the Oscars, those two should not have been there in the first place so just be thankful for whatever part they got

Zac & Vanessa did wonderfully.

Lovely zanessa !!

Queen Latifah sang beautifully. It was my fave performance.
Really liked this Oscars apart from the celeb dresses which were not so great this year.

ohh looky looky all the hateful cu nts are back. Did you wanna slam your head against a wall during this? B/c I hope all bitter imbeciles actually did. & hard enough too loose what little brain cells you have.

# 22 Grow up
Musicals are part of our great American Heritage. The greats lile Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire did musicals. Back in those days actors had to be able to act sing and dance. Back then it was about showmanship. I think the musical had a point and it was well produced. Yes. The Musical is back and it is about time.

Beyonce and Hugh did an amazing job. It was very entertaining.

oh please @ 02/23/2009 at 1:35 am

Chris– CRY MOAAR

HUGH AND BEYONCE ROCKS!!

AND BAZ TOO FOR MAKING THIS

Beyonce looked so cheap and she lip synched!

beyonce is fat

#27 they had every right to be here.

I liked the new and improved Oscars this year, it actually kept my interest through the end. Great job to all!
The AP actually points out some mistakes from the performance that I thought they all covered up very well.

#32 You grow up. Not every one has to like the performance, I think it was a waste of 5 mins!

I am so confused as to why Beyonce was even a part of this number. I would have liked it was better if they would have gotten someone who was actually in a musical last year….well wait i shouldnt say that cause she might have been and I just didnt watch whatever she was in…..At the very least they could have gotten someone that would have sang live…….

Yeah I was surprised to see Beyonce, but it was a nice performance!!

Why was Beyonce there? She always has to ruin everything! GOSH!

This was by far the best Oscars. Love it. Beyonce and Hugh made the show. Although Zac and Vanessea should have stayed home, can’t hold a candle to Beyonce the woman can sing.

I loved Zac and Vanessa =) how cute to be able to perform or act with your love

Actually, I think the only reason why they included Zac,Vanessa,Amanda is to attract viewers.They could have just made it Beyonce and Hugh since they sang most of the song.

Zanessa were ah-mazing

can you post the pics of zac and vanessa performing?? they have some on newscom

At least Queen Latifah sang LIVE and sounded great. Beyonce LIPSYNCHED!!!!! Why was Beyonce even there? Was is bad enough that she had to RUIN Etta James “At Last”? She had to show up at the Oscars!! She is a HORRIBLE actress. Just GO AWAY!!!

Hugh and Latifah were all class!

Can’t beleive they trashed the Academy Awards with Zac & Vanessa. They should be EMBARASSED. That was HUMILATING.

SIngingangel86 @ 02/23/2009 at 4:36 am

Beyonce ruined the whole performance. You looked fat and cheap plus she lipsynced. And she sang ‘At Last’ again, Etta is going to kick her ass. Hugh was amazing the whole show. Vanessa and Zac were cute, I wish I saw more of them. WHY DIDN’T BEYONCE STAY AT HOME, WE ARE TIRED OF SEEING HER!!

Beyonceisaghettotrashbitch @ 02/23/2009 at 4:48 am

#51 I couldn’t agree with you more. Hugh was wonderful, but Beyonce lipsynched, she’s too fat for that costume (thunder thighs) and she’s OVERRATED. Queen Latifah sounded incredible.

cristinaa @ 02/23/2009 at 5:33 am

amazing (L)
zac,vanessa, amanda…
the best!

Return of musicals? ….I so hope this is an upcoming trend at the theatres. This was the best Academy Awards Show in many, many years.

Drop the musical numbers alaready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Interested @ 02/23/2009 at 6:25 am

Z&V were amazing

zanessa4everrr! @ 02/23/2009 at 6:42 am

THEY WERE AMAZING!!

I love Zanessa!!!!!!!!!

woooooow, amaazing, loved it

Oh Canada @ 02/23/2009 at 7:47 am

Beyonce’s outfit was meant for a taller leaner person. We know she’s curvy, but she doesn’t have to ram it down our throats in that red outfit, or in her always too tight mermaid dresses.
She’s bottom heavy, if she wore more fluid dresses she would be stunning. Look how gorgeous Alicia Keys was in her dress, those are the types of dresses that would suit Beyonce.

I was amazed at how short fat her legs/knees/thighs were; it did not suit her at all. It just proves how photoshopped her videos and photos are, they make her look proportioned/perfect…smoke and mirrors.

i really liked the performance and all them did a great job.

they were all great
Hugh Jackman was amazing!

They were all amazing. Zac and V were simply stunning, two outstanding individuals, Zac’s voice is beautiful, and V just owns. Beautiful couple.

Love love loved it., breathtaking, Wow, Zac and Vanessa are so so talented and gorgeous. Stunning couple. Love that they sang ‘Last Chance’, so poingent and beautiful. Thanking the Academy very much for letting them shine.

Zac and V just showed the world how to put passion into a performance, and how to sing live and so beautifully, their chemsitry just shines and its amazing to see. I love Beyonce, but she was miming to the songs, whereas Hugh, Zac, V, Amanda and Dom all sang it live, and good on them.

Young Hot Hollywood owned last night, with such amazing talented actors on stage, Hugh as well, of course, who is the master. The Musical rules baby!!

I love Zac. He is all kinds of hot. I had to hold my breath for the entire performance. I mean wow. V is too beautiful as well of course. They are so cute together, they were lost in their own little world during that performance, they couldn’t take their eyes or hands off eachother. That’s true love/chemistry right there. Beautiful.

I really likes it a lot.. Did not hate Beyonce, she did a good job. Loved hugh, he can really sing dance and act..

But I don’t understand everybody being so excited over the 3 sentences Zac and Vanessa were singing.. I was not bad but definetely not brilliant?

beyonce ruined it

TWO SERIOUS CONTAGIOUS DISSEASES, folks!!

Hugh was excellent, the HSM kids were unremarkable, Beyonce sounded good but her thighs looked huuuuuuuuuuge.

omg i looooovee zanessa was there!! it was AMAZING :D

Woot! Woot! I’m just happy for Zac and Vanessa to have had the chance to perform at the Oscars with Hugh and Beyonce. :-)

why beyonce was the only one who did not sing live? what a shame

i love zanessa
beautifullllllllllllllllllll

hugh rocked @ 02/23/2009 at 9:58 am

Hugh really deserved that standing ovation after his first musical number. I hope he will be the Oscar host next year too.

Um just to let everybody know, Musicals Never Left….True Thespians already know that……

Hugh Jackman brought the class back to the Oscars that had been extremely lacking for the last few years. Not only was he extremely entertaining but exceptionally talented! Shame on those critics who thought otherwise. He was no Billy Crystal..HE WAS BETTER.

Did no one else notice that Beyonce was totally lip syncing???

Hugh Jackman did a great job though!

zanessa4life @ 02/23/2009 at 10:59 am

Of course Zanessa was the best.
Besides that I’m a huge fan I really think that they were incredible.
They’ve got such a chemistry.
Beautiful singers and dancers as well.
Love them
But have to admit that I loved Hugh Jackman too!
He was great!

Hugh and Beyonce rocks! I really like the performance. Zac&Vanessa, Amanda&Dominica weren’e needed, Beyonce and Hugh totally stole the show and I was watching it only for them.

i really liked it, although i wish they had included defying gravity (from wicked) in there. it would have been so perfect, since they were talking about musicals being back and stuff.

“THERE’S NO FIGHT WE CANNOT WIN… JUST YOU AND I, DEFYING GRAVITY! WITH YOU AND I DEFYING GRAVITY, THEY’LL NEVER BRING US DOWN!”

or even a popular reference would be nice.

“POPULAR, YOU’RE GONNA BE POPULAR…”

oh well, it was good nonetheless. i love musicals! :)

Bravo,
What a beautiful performance.

Beyonce did sing live. She is just too good and perfect that one with lesser than average hearing abilities would mistaken that raw talent for pre-recored bull.

MAN ALL THAT CHEESE MAKES ME WANA PUKEEEEEEEEEE

letmetellu @ 02/23/2009 at 1:07 pm

ok , i hate the high school musical stars, their so gay!!!! And i think musicals are gay too!!!!!

Favorite? This performance!

beyonce and hugh were amazing!!! vanessa and zack??? 10 seconds please guys…

I’m so out voted here but I thought Dominic & Amanda were cuter than Z&V, when everyone was stood there Dom & Amanda were looking at each each and holding hands where as Z&V just stood there till the camera was on them to be ‘couple-ly’.

I though Hugh was AMAZING though. Great singing voice.

msblknasty1 @ 02/23/2009 at 5:08 pm

@ 84 what planet are you on bey lip synch her ass off even mess up and they took the camera off of her …..lol where was jay oh yea up rhi rhi ass lolol

That number and all the show was incredible and very dinamic (how supost to be every year)!

Beyonce amazing and hot (wonderful singer)

and Hugh Jackman is a very good entertainer!

i don’t get why everyone is saying “omgsh zanessa was amazing !!”
don’t get me wrong i’m a fan of them both ..
but Beyonce was just Wonderful!! her voice is amazing and flawless..
V and Z sang like a couple of lines.. they certainly don’t deserve all the attention their getting from some of you fans..

did any of you really even watch the performance. it was all about beyonce and hugh the real stars of the performance.

Zanessa didn’t really need to be there.

Hugh and Beyonce we’re amazing.

“Pineapple Express” skit was still the best thing there.

i love that video!! that part was def the best thing that happened!!!!

It was Beyonce and Hugh’s performance. Zanessa weren’t amazing. Are you kidding me? They sang a few lines from THEIR song. While as, Beyonce and Hugh sang pretty much everything. Zanessa, Amanda, and Dominic weren’t needed. They were more like back-up dancers.

Love the performance, but it would have been much much much better without Zanessa, Amanda, and Dominic.

I am glad that i saw dominic and amanda and zac and vanessa i am really happy for them.

The performance at the beginning of the show when it was just Hugh was simply the best performance!

lakers fan in boston @ 02/23/2009 at 7:54 pm

tbh this was one of the worst parts of the show
i was really excited 2 see it, but it was just stupid
vanessa and the douchebag only appeared for i swear less than a minute
i usually dont like beyonce but she did ok
i just didnt really think it was good as it was all hyped up 2 be
really disappointed

It was all beautiful and one of the best oscar show i saw since 4 years lots of funny stuff. zac and vanessa look out standing in the musical and on the red carpet. i really like the dress she had on.
zac look pretty handsome too.

hmm maybe i’m deaf or something, but i thought hugh sounded ridiculous. haha

Wow fantastic! Beyonce has such an amazing voice I just love it..

zashley doesn’t exist and didn’t exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zac is in love with vanessa and he was never in love with ash!

zanessa and jashley 4ever!!!!!

(zanessa, you were amazing at oscars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you!!!!)

Patricia Perbeils @ 02/24/2009 at 10:24 am

Beyoncé was awesome!!!
if you take the High school actors and Mama mia’s out, would’ve been much better!!!!!
hugh was great and beyoncé made it better ;)

Karen marcell @ 02/24/2009 at 11:53 am

Awesome!!!

It was nice for the younger fans of the Oscars to represented by their role models. And for all the haters out there – think of this. They have made millions, you have not. Suck it up.

i don’t understand how people can continuously gush over “ZANESSA! ZOMG!” they had like, 10 seconds total of singing. seriously! can people not appreciate hugh jackman and beyonce!?
jeeze. really. stop obsessing just because “they’re so young and pretty!”. woo. they’re great! too bad they’ll be forgotten in 10 years.
i’ve got nothing against high school musical, but i mean, really.
IT’S HUGH JACKMAN AND BEYONCE FOR GOD’S SAKE.
focus on the objective people.

jared reader @ 02/26/2009 at 2:20 am

I’m not really a fan of beyonce but i really thought she owned this performance. as for zac and vanessa, yea, they sang two lines, danced in the background, and if hugh jackman didnt mention them at the end I doubt anyone who hasnt watched HSM3 would have any clue who they were. and yea, vanessa’s dress looked like a trash bag.

where the nipple

I LOVE BEYONCE SHE’S AMAZING !!
AND ZANESSA ROCKS !!

Miss Jackson @ 02/27/2009 at 4:23 pm

Yeppers, that performance was owned by Hugh & Beyonce. Dominic and Amanda where good as well. Zanessa….well, they looked like a couple of kids playing dress up in their parent’s clothes. They were way to made up. To me, they just looked so out of place on that stage with the rest of them. Especially at the end when Zac was holding Beyonce’s hand while they were taking a bow. They were so outta their league.

Vanessa and zac did amazing!! :D
btw zaaaaaaaaaaashley you have serious problems!!
I know Vanessa and zac’s lines were short but they did it better than any other celeb. would do it!! =3
Vanessa love you & can’t wait for you’re movie =D

this is for Vanessa haters,,

**** YOU!! :@
you are lame..ugly…fat…and Very VERY STUPID!!

it’s not that i’m a fan!! it’s that i cant take it when people call her or any one else that they are ugly,trash bags?! or any of that it’s just CRAP!!
She is a very beautiful,talented,nice,stylish and an innocent girl!!
maybe she had some mistakes but she did apoligize and it all happened because of some loser hacked her mobile and took the picture and ya it’s been like i dont know maybe 3 years since that!! SO GET ****** OVER IT!!

Musicallvr @ 05/02/2009 at 6:13 pm

I can’t believe people are saying Beyonces thighs are fat. She’s thicker, but she’s definitely not jiggly or anything; she’s in great shape.
Not everyone is stick thin.

This is one of the first times where Vanessa Hudgens looked SO much prettier than Beyonce. B is usually very pretty, but not here.

I think that the whole performance was great, Beyonce was fantastic and proved why she is the only triple thread artist on the world stage.Hugh was handsome as always and with a very good & sexy voice. As for zach and vanessa and the other two they shouldn’t have been there