Madonna Confirms Adoption Of 'Mercy'

Madonna Confirms Adoption Of 'Mercy'

Earlier this week, Madonna arrived in Malawi with her kids — David, 3, Lourdes, 12, and Rocco, 8.

In a statement from her rep Liz Rosenberg, Madonna confirmed she is trying to adopt a girl named Chifundo “Mercy” James who is about 4 years old.

According to AP, the girl’s 18-year-old mother was unmarried and died soon after she gave birth. Her father is believed to be alive but has little contact with his daughter.

The Material mom also took David (pictured here) to meet his biological father for the first time since he left Malawi in 2006. “Madonna is committed to maintaining an ongoing relationship with David‘s Malawian roots,” Madge‘s statement continued.

Getty

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

jared, david is 3 not 2.

i just hope she won’t adopt Mercy the way she adopted David – in a fast and cheated kind of way!

I think madge is trying to fill a void in her life or she is imitating Angelina, I can’t tell which at this point. But since the break-up of her marriage she seems sad and looks unhappy in her photos, whereas Guy is always smiling and living it up with first one woman then another. One thing for sure, she is providing some very poor children with a hard scrabble future, a better life. Now they will have access to the best education and medical care money can by so I tip my hat to her. I hope Madonna can find a life mate and be happy it’s hard for middle-age women in show business to have long-lasting marriages. She always said that Sean Penn was the love of her life so I guess replacing him with someone is difficult.

When I look at madonna’s need to adopt these two kids, I don’t feel it’s for the right reasons. I’m niether judge or jury, but from the sounds of it, she has her hands full in the states taking care of her kids here. And I know she shuttles her other son back and forth from england. It seems as if she’s got some sort of compulsive need….That’s just my opinion.

“Her father is believed to be alive but has little contact with his daughter.”

That will certainly change. Some tabloid will hunt the father down for a comment, where we’ll learn how much he loves his daughter and really wants to be with her, blah, blah, blah. I’m surprised that one of the tabloids hasn’t already flown David’s father to New York and parked him on Madonna’s door step for a father and son reunion.

I give Madonna points, though, for adopting another child of African roots. It would be difficult for David growing up the only black kid in a white family.

When the PAPARAZZI shows she is a mother, folks.
remember: JUST FOR THE PICTURES!!

This is ridiculous. She should give Mercy’s dad 100K so he can raise his own daughter. These people are dirt poor and can’t take care of their own children. I bet he spends 18 hrs a day digging a ditch somewhere for 50 cents.
Where are the fathers rights??

I would love to contribute to a charity for Africa that keeps families together!

LOVE SEX MAGIC NOW ON ITUNES @ 03/31/2009 at 12:59 pm

MALAWI and SOUTH AFRICA are TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES!!!

gjc.. you are 100% right, madonna should really contribute to the needs of davids father to help raise him, instead of bringing him to her lil white unstable world. Just because she has money doesnt mean a damn thing as far as taking this boy from his proud strong African heritage, takin him to visit please she is a selfish bit8h, and im glad they stop calling him David Banda, do you know how strange that makes him feel being called by his whole name.. what a bunch of ignorant losers, he needs to be with his own and i hope she doesnt get the girl!! This bot will definetly have problems later in life, you cant learn your roots from a damn book or a visit in years.. dumb ******!!

He’s growing up in multi-racial America so he won’t have any problems being a minority kid, besides Madonna ‘s daughter is mixed race. Although I hear her biological father is close at hand so in that way yes, Davis has a disadvantage. David’s biggest dilemma will be a lost of cultural identity. He is an African child first and foremost. Hopefully, Madonna will do what is necessary to keep him connected to his ancestral roots. I have a Korean friend who was adopted by a white family and she stated that growing up in Nebraska she always felt left out and detached from what she really was. She stated that she only felt Korean when she looked in the mirror. But when she turned 18 her adopted parents took her back to her homeland to meet relatives and to rediscover her culture. Since Madonna is rich and goes back to Malawi frequently, I think Davis will not be cut off entirely from his ancestry. I think the pros of his life out-weighs the cons and he is very lucky to have the advantages coming his way. Madonna is in the end, a very giving, unselfish person and I applaud her for her generosity.

Malawi is a country on the continent of Africa, NOT in South Africa.

Madonna the queen @ 03/31/2009 at 1:10 pm

If Madonna had not adopted David he would not have been the tall, healthy little boy we see today. He would have been a dirt poor farmer barely ekeing out a living to feed himself. he would not be educated in the best schools or seeing a doctor regularly. Give Madonna a break! She is doing her bit to make life easier for two little children. Plus, she is building a school for the desperately poor children in a Malawi village. I think God will smile on Madonna’s largess and I don’t think she had an ulterior motive. She is simply a very giving woman. And I bet David has a African nanny from his village.

charlotte @ 03/31/2009 at 1:12 pm

that is the oldest looking 2 year old ive ever seen

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to walk around in clothes, that make her look like a soldier…..I’m not feeling it.

Well, at least Madge is smiling now. If she hadn’t adopted David he would probably weigh ten pounds and be malnourished. His father was a poor, uneducated farmer who could not care for him properly. I’m not particularly a fan of Madonna but I wish her well. She is doing the right thing so cut her some slack.

David’s father did not want to raise him. He is remarried and has a kid with his new wife. He may be glad to see David healthy and happy, but he himself cannot and does not want the responsibility. Also, David is Guy Ritchie’s adopted father. Guy picks up both David and Rocco for visitations. It is just the new daughter whoi will not have a father.

MALAWI IS NOT IN SOUTH AFRICA @ 03/31/2009 at 1:29 pm

?

charlotte @ 03/31/2009 at 1:12 pm
that is the oldest looking 2 year old ive ever seen

thats because he is 3

HE WAS 2 WHEN SHE GOT HIM IN 2006

There is no proof David would have been malnourished etc had he NOT been adopted.

What I find strange is that Madonna is adopting at a very very wrong moment in her life. She’s barely divorced, on a music tour, had a relationship with a married men, followed by a fling with a 20 something year old. Sorry, but start spending QUALITY time with the kids you already have, dear Madonna!

And I also don’t like the way it seems she just has all the rules bended for her. Her people have been influencing Mercy’s family for over a year to pursuade them to hand over Mercy to her. I guess money CAN buy everything. She is making it more difficult for other people to adopt by doing so! It

Money talks and Madonna always gets her way it seems. But she is helping people so it’s all good in the end.

She is hurting more than helping.. what proof do you have that he will be straving, maybe the father couldnt take care of him at that moment, i dont like it and i think its a damn shame she should stay of Africa and adopt in the US , but oh no she wants to out-do Angie! All she has to do is give money to help his family and others if she is so kind! pleaseeee!!!

That stupid hag will do anything to stay on the news. Let it go ***** you had your time!

I am so happy for her and that little gir. I mean if anyone has a problem with this then they have SERIOUSLY got issues and need to mind their own business. This little girl is 4 YEARS OLD…she needs a family, she needs love and Madonna is willing to give that to her. This a GOOD thing. THANK GOD FOR PEOPLE LIKE MADONNNA who want to do GOOD THINGS in the WORLD! :D THat’s a LUCKY little girl!

truth ALWAYS hurts @ 03/31/2009 at 3:26 pm

JARED, please, WTF ?
first Malawi # South Africa
Next I can’t believe you wrote “South Africa” the way you did : Soth Africca ????? WTF ?

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All