Michelle Obama Covers Essence Magazine

Michelle Obama Covers Essence Magazine

Michelle Obama (in Talbot’s) and her mother, Marian Robinson, grace the May 2009 cover of Essence magazine.

The 45-year-old First Lady only had high praise for her mother, saying, “My mom is an incredibly intelligent and insightful person about life in general. From the time we could talk, she talked to us endlessly about any and everything with a level of openness and fearlessness that made us believe that we were bright enough to engage with an adult, that we were worthy enough to ask questions and to get really serious answers-and she did it with a level of humor. There were many times when we were in the midst of getting spanked or disciplined and she would start cracking up. She taught my brother and me not to take things so seriously; to work hard, but to learn to laugh at situations and laugh at yourself and then to move through it.”

• Kourtney Kardashian celebrates the 35th birthday in a bikini- US Weekly
  • Cher Lloyd talks about her new music video for “Sirens”- Just Jared Jr
  • Michelle Obama will be visiting Nashville - Entertainment Weekly
  • How did Jennifer Garner look in 1999? - Huffington Post
  • Ryan Gosling is attending this year's Cannes Film Festival- Lainey Gossip
  • Constance Nunes shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All
hottest couple ever @ 04/07/2009 at 12:27 pm

Style and Class…..so proud of the Obama family!

beautiful! :-)

Another fugly outfit on Michelle.

charlene

how many times have u f-ed up your everyday speech. This is quote from a conversation, she didn’t write a freaking dissertation.
By the way she finished school… have you?

I just read where the sales of Essence went up something like 25% when Michelle was on the cover, so I guess we’re going to start seeing Michelle on the cover at least every other month from now on. Just glad my subscription has expired!

Yeah, but most American, including politicians, school teachers and broadcasters say “My brother and I” when they should say “My brother and me.” Michelle is like 95 percent of American, they get this simple phrase wrong. By the way, I even hear British people saying it incorrectly.

Correct useage.

“My brother and I got the cat out of the tree.”
“We’ll get the cat out of the tree. Just leave it to my brother and me.

Yeah, but so many Americans get this phrase wrong. I even hear British broadcasters saying it incorrectly. It’s jsut a habit. Ninety five percent of American say it incorrectly. Correct useage :

“My brother and I got the cat out of the tree.”
“We’ll get the cat out of the tree Leave it to my brother and me.”

sorry for the double post.

Manlesston @ 04/07/2009 at 1:05 pm

charlene @ 04/07/2009 at 12:34 pm ok i totally adore the whole Obama-family in an almost unhealthily-obsessed kind of way but seriously its quite alarming that the First Lady can’t even speak English properly – “my brother and me” instead of “my brother and I”.!?! Great role model for U.S. education…..

****************************

It’s NOT my brother and I. It is my brother and ME! Everyone thinks I is always correct and IT IS NOT.

When you have a conjunction, you DELETE the conjunction to determine which pronoun is correct. In this case, “my brother and me” represents the full conjunctive phrase. If “my brother and” were not present, the sentence would read: “She taught … ME not to take things so seriously.” Therefore, ME is the correct pronoun. Using YOUR distorted view, absent the conjunction it would read: “She taught … I not to take things so seriously.”

This is basic fourth grade grammar that has been entirely lost on a generation that receives its language arts skills from the likes of Paris Hilton and other under-educated celebs. I challenge you to find a rule of grammar that supports your INCORRECT interpretation of the “I/Me” rule.

Will the media quick shoving this lady down our throats. She is not all that.

Manlesston @ 04/07/2009 at 1:15 pm

Further tutelage in the “I/Me” rule:

1. “My brother and I learned a lot from my mother.” – Here, I is correct because if you delete “My brother and:,” the sentence properly reads:
“I learned a lot from my mother.”

2. “She taught my brother and me not to take things so seriously.” – As explained above, here ME is correct because when you delete “my brother and,” the sentence properly reads : “She taught ME not to take things so seriously.”

Elementary grammar.

I am so proud to have them leading our country. What a fabulous job both Michelle and Barack did on their recent trip. They obviously are a real couple and good parents. So smart to bring their mom into the White House to provide continuity for the girls, especially when they have to travel. They do the country proud, and they do Harvard proud. Extraordinary representatives.

you americans put your political figures in tv shows and mags as i if they were hollywood celebs lol
that’s pretty interesting and thats a lot to comment about..

Lillianne @ 04/07/2009 at 1:38 pm

I love the clothes she wears and that she didn’t go all Sarah Palin with her wardrobe. She knows how to glam it up when the occasion calls for it.

The Obama Family ROCKS!!!!!!!

Mum is very pretty. Can’t wait to get my issue.

Question: When did this blog become ‘English Lesson #1″? If that’s all someone has to talk about then please take a long walk off a short pier and get over yourself!

#16. Totally agree!

Am I the only one creeped out by the fact that Michelle says her mother would laugh sometimes while disciplining her, even when spanking her? I’m going to trust that we’re not getting the story quite right because both Michelle and her brother are healthy, well adjusted people. SKIP THE GRAMMAR LESSONS, FOLKS. WE GET IT. YOU’RE SMART.

Manlesston @ 04/07/2009 at 2:09 pm

charlene @ 04/07/2009 at 1:31 pm Manlesston – i honestly didn’t know that about the I / me rule so thank you for explaining it to me clearly like that. I was a bit shocked to think that Michelle would have made such a simple mistake seeing how highly educated i’ve always considered and known her to be – that is why i felt moved to comment on it at all. However, although i did in fact finish high school (thanks for asking, loco!) it’s obvious that i still have to go over some of the basics again myself! So in conclusion, i stand corrected!

*********************************

Charlene, you exhibit far more grace and class than most on this board by being able to utter the simple phrase: ” I stand corrected.” Bravo! And you are certainly not alone in the “I/me,”
“your/you’re,” “there/their” grammatical debacle that is afflicting our nation. It is not a reflection on you, but rather on our overall declining societal eruditon.

seriously @ 04/07/2009 at 2:15 pm

I seriously don’t like them – they come across a bit full of themselves – not much humility.

OMG that is sooo adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adlf;dl;fj;lasdfhl;J!L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a realist @ 04/07/2009 at 2:47 pm

charlene #4.. our First Lady Michelle said it correctly. “My brother and me”.

You are the one who needs to learn grammar. Especially before you go off critiquing people.

#22..The Obama’s are the most down to earth, personable, friendliest, caring people you could ever meet. You are really showing your bias.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All