GLAAD to Perez Hilton: Shame On You!

GLAAD to Perez Hilton: Shame On You!

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is speaking out against celebrity blogger Perez Hilton after he admittedly used an anti-gay slur (f—ot) in an altercation with Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas.

Rashad Robinson, Senior Director of Media Programs at GLAAD: “These are vulgar anti-gay slurs that feed a climate of hatred and intolerance toward our community. For someone in our own community to use it to attack another person by saying that it is, quote, ‘The worst possible thing that thug would ever want to hear,’ is incredibly dangerous. It legitimizes use of a slur that is often linked to violence against our community. And it sends a message that it is OK to attempt to dehumanize people by exploiting anti-gay attitudes. We have reached out to Hilton and asked him to apologize for promoting this anti-gay slur and we would ask media outlets to avoid repetition of the slur in their coverage of this story.”

Perez responded, saying, “I am saddened GLAAD chose to victimize me further by criticizing me for how I non-violently dealt with a very scary situation that, unfortunately, turned violent. While I doubt I will get an apology from GLAAD, nor do I expect one, I would just hope people know how difficult it is to intellectualize a situation and think rationally when a thug disguised as a musician is screaming at your face and intimidating you. I am just very fortunate and grateful that nothing more serious happened to me.”

Pop culture chronicler Rich Juzwiak adds his two cents about Perez: “I just kind of want to throw up my hands (or in my hands) and call out this character, this persona, this online half-person for what it is: bad for the Internet, bad for gay people, bad for the world. I can’t help but feel like everything would be better off without him… I racked my brain and I’ve still come up with absolutely nothing positive or pro-social that he has brought to the world.”

Check out the full piece at FourFour.

Posted to: Perez Hilton

Ethan Miller/Getty

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 79 » Show All

Someone please punch Perez again.

Perez Hilton is cool. Gay people are stupid and sucks.

this family is so fubar @ 06/23/2009 at 3:33 pm

Gosh, you’d think with all his $$$, he could see a decent Dermatologist. Blllllleeeeeccccchhhh

perez you’re insane.

AlicetheGooniscuter @ 06/23/2009 at 3:36 pm

One of Lavender boy’s better photos, ha ha ha. The video shows how very wrong he really is and I hope he disappears back into the oblivion he came from. Wave bah bye to your golden ticket Pez cause your big mouth finally got shut. In one photo it looks like he hit himself in the face during the ensuing struggle going on. That would be justice.

Perez is horrible. Perez is Racist, and to use such a disgusting slur is despicable. He hurts the gay community much more than he helps them… Perez is just terrible any way you look at it.

c'mon now @ 06/23/2009 at 3:38 pm

@rocky_rhodes:
Well that is amoungst friends and Perez is nobodies’ friend. He earned his enemies! BOYCOTT!!!!!

Nice picture Jared! Props to you =D

Perez is creepy. He slams ever girl that ever comes in contact with the little boys he crushes on… (how old is he anyways?) He says such vulgar rude things about everyone. He is verbally abusive, no one should resort to physical violence, but i have to admit… it was bound to happen, and in no way whats so ever do I feel bad. I won’t return to his site, no one needs that much negativity. Love JJ!!

Bubbaness @ 06/23/2009 at 3:41 pm

Team GLAAD. You can’t be that much of a hypocrite and not have your community call you out on it.

i agree with rich. “perez” is pathetic.

rocky_rhodes @ 06/23/2009 at 3:20 pm

whats the big deal black people call each other niggas all the time i have a black friend who calls me his nigga its the same thing I’m gay and call my friends ****** ,***** ,homo and all other kinds of insults get over it the more attention he gets the more he is gonna do it
____

Clearly Perez was using it in the context of trying to make it an insult, thereby insulting himself and his community, and it was about the thought of being gay being an insult in itself. Using a slur, or “taking back” a word is of a totally different context. Also, many black people are against using that word, in whatever form, so I wouldn’t make blanket statements like that, especially since that really applies to black Americans in general anyway.

Chris @ 06/23/2009 at 3:30 pm

Perez Hilton is cool. Gay people are stupid and sucks.
_____
He’s also gay, so what the f*** are you talking about?

This ‘thing’ is crazy!

that video of him crying like some battered victim is just ridiculous. did he actually expect nothing like this will ever happen to him with all the bashing he does on his site?

and his hair is hurting my vision

taylorswiftfan @ 06/23/2009 at 3:46 pm

I love how Jared uses a pic of Perez that literally makes me want to vomit. Perez truly is a vile human being. Violence is never the answer but the way Perez is milking his “victimization” is disgusting. There are no words strong enough to denounce this hypocritical, sexist, hateful, and perverted human being.

Shame on him! Shame him to hell until he realizes, apologizes and takes responsibility for his actions.

I may not always be the biggest fan of GLAAD but good on them for not falling for his BS!

April in Canada @ 06/23/2009 at 3:47 pm

Glad they went after him, he is a menace, pig, idiot……the less we pay attention to this ******* the faster he goes away!

love the flattering pic of Perez!

Perez is going to get his ass kicked by JONATHAN KNIGHT! He said so!

Perez is the kind of person you do not want on your side just because of the discredit his methods will do to your cause.

pollyanna @ 06/23/2009 at 3:49 pm

I see you picked an appropriate picture to represent Perez. It’s as attractive as his attitude. He was funny when he first started, but after a few years, what he does is not healthy for us. He’s repeatedly quite hateful. That’s a little generous; he’s daily vulgar. He obviously feels very uncomfortable in his own skin. He blames everyone for his life except the man in the mirror; poor powerless Perez, so victimized. He habitually stirs up abuse. He is so used to abuse he can’t stand it if he is not getting it or stirring it up. GLADD to see the community show it’s dignity.

haha.wow! will i am is my hero! Im surprised Perez didnt get his ass kicked sooner!!

TOo good to be true @ 06/23/2009 at 3:50 pm

Perez totally deserves this, even Barbara Walters said so! I also love how CNN LAUGHED at his video yesterday. He is a complete moron and his 15 minutes are ticking. He spew hate and violence daily from his computer and then is shock when he mingles with the stars and learn he is NOT respected by them. Celebs like Kristy Allen, Kelly Clarkson, John Mayer and others are laughing and now, GLAAD and others are blasting him. He is toast!

i had no idea who this person was until i visited his web site he creeps me out.! i’m straight but if i were gay i would make every effort to distance myself from this nut. no, he didn’t deserve to be hit but a small part of me is glad that it happened.

HE IS AND IDIOT
i mean insulting gays when you are one? i dont have anything against gay people btw..

cutiemcfreckles @ 06/23/2009 at 3:52 pm

haha, love the pic. I love your site sooo much more than Perez’s Jared. Don’t really read Perez all that much. He is insecure and so gossipy.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 79 » Show All