Emma Watson To Attend Columbia University?

Emma Watson To Attend Columbia University?

Emma Watson reportedly had her pick of all the top Ivy League colleges — Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Brown — but it seems like she decided to attend the very prestigious Columbia University.

The 19-year-old actress is supposedly listed in Columbia’s student directory under “Charlotte E Watson” (her birth name is Emma Charlotte Duerre Watson). She even visited the campus back in October.

Emma has said, “I just want to keep it private [my college choice] for as long as I can. I probably sound like a paranoid nut, but I’m doing this because I want to be normal. I really want anonymity. I want to do it properly, like everyone else. As long as I don’t walk in, and see, like, Harry Potter posters everywhere, I’ll be fine.”

Columbia, here comes Emma! No Harry Potter posters, you hear?

P.S. Yes, it is possible there is another student at Columbia named Charlotte E Watson who is not Emma Watson!

P.P.P.S. Turns out Emma will be attending Brown University!

Ethan Miller/Getty

cool i might see her then. i saw james franco on campus before

i would also choose Columbia. its a great school
lovelove Emma Watson

YAAAAAAAAY!
i wonder if i’ll see her..? :D

i’m pretty sure the school of continuing education only offers non-degree classes, master degrees, and high school programs. so it’s not really the actual columbia undergrad.

she wanted to keep it private….good one justjared!

how nice of you to honour her wishes.

you shouldnt have post it jared

hope she gets the normal college experience she wants :]

This makes it sound like Columbia is not an Ivy League college. I always thought is was.

what’s and IVY LEAGUE COLLEGE?

well congratz for her

LOL. So many rumours, I don’t even know anymore!
Columbia sounds plausible though, as her friend Bee Shaffer (Anna Wintour’s daughter) use to go there. I think she has graduated by now though. But can you imagine walking onto campus and seeing Hermione Granger having a laugh with the daughter of a fashion icon?

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 12:18 pm

En*ma(e) Watson will have to give up her unintelligible British accent and learn to speak American if she wants to fit in. Anyhoo the idea that she will be anonymous or left alone is silly. She would do better going to Yale like Jody Foster who managed to get through Yale without too much attention, other than Hickley trying to kill the President to impress her. Poor Hickley (or Hinckley?) falling in love with a ****. Too too hilarious making.

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 12:20 pm

The word blotted out was dike spelled with a y.

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 12:22 pm

I can see the sign she ought to post on her dorm room (assuming she is normal enough to live in a dorm): “Hogwarts”. LOL

School of Continuing Education?! People who are in that college at Columbia only take courses as a non-degree seeking student, like taking a workshop to improve skills. By the way people, it’s not like Charlotte E Watson is an usual name! There are hundreds!!!

I heard she is going to give up acting and go to school.. love this girl. Seriously has a great head on her shoulders. I think it’s great, should be an amazing experience for her, hopefully no haters though. We are adults at university LOL . I wish I was at Columbia though. Love Emma, really hope she goes through with it, after HP of course <3

The School of Continuing Education is not prestigious. Anyone can attend. You just go online and enroll.

If she is going there, why would her complete name not be used? There are loads of Charlotte Watsons in the world.

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 12:50 pm

I noticed too that she was at some dinky-stinky division of Columbia mainly for lame brains. I thought she was going to be a serious student. Didn’t she have the option of going to Cambridge (UK)?

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 1:06 pm

If she wants to be anonymous, better not put her picture in the catalog. The name by itself would not attract attention.

Hmmm…It’s possible. But I heard she was going to Brown! Either way it’s still a BRILLIANT Ivy League school! I wish Emma the best and I hope she doesn’t get any crazy roommates. :)

Charlotte is her middle name not her first name…so I bet it’s someone else. I think when she wants to the public to know which school she chose she will release the news.

it could be her since she hasnt declared a major yet. either way Good Luck, Emma.

scorpius07 @ 06/24/2009 at 1:16 pm

Is the Liberal Arts degree different from Continuing Education? She’s mentioned in at least three interviews that the thing that’s attracting her to going to school in the US is the Liberal Arts degree, so that’s what she’d most likely try to get into.

Its nice to know her decision is still private. You should leave the girl alone.

@Saudia:

Yeah I’ve heard her say that too. I really admire how much value she puts on education. Love it! But I really hope she continues to act because she’s so talented and it would be a shame to waste it. The girl is a quadruple threat: she can dance, sing, act, and model.

I’m attending Columbia next year and I would love to see her on campus.
BUT – I don’t think this rumor is true. The School of Continuing Education is a graduate school, professional-training type thing. If she was really going to Columbia she’d probably be going to Columbia College, the undergraduate liberal-arts school.

So, as much as I wish it were true, it probably isn’t.

Columbiaundergrad @ 06/24/2009 at 1:30 pm

Columbia IS an ivy. One of the most selective, as well.

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 1:32 pm

scorpius: all a bit murky. Is the picture really her? Why would she be enrolled now when she is still in the UK filming the last of the Potter movies? And she supposedly is bright enough to get into a proper program. Who knows? Not really clear yet? I think she’d be smart to stay in the UK and go to Cambridge.

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 1:36 pm

PS Dan Radcliffe is more realistic. He knows he could never be anonymous at a university, is not really an intellectual, and that now that he is enmeshed in the world of being an actor and movie star he might as well just stay there and make the most of it. He has no interest in going to university. He prefers dating trannies. LOL

F u g F a c e M a n ! s t o n @ 06/24/2009 at 1:38 pm

mmm.. yeah baby. go to columbia, so i can run into you at a wholefoods on broadway and bang your brains out. LOL..

qUEEN OBVIOUS @ 06/24/2009 at 1:47 pm

Sooo
Even though she said she’s trying to keep it private, SCREW THAT, huh?
Never mind she doesn’t want the paps infesting her chosen school and her college life…

BTW, I don’t think this is any sort of proof for the exact same reasons others have stated — too obvious, common name, why in “continuing…,”

I thought she’s going to Brown? I searched her under their directory and the name came up “Emma Charlotte Watson.” I think that’s more telling than Charlotte E. Watson.

Yes, Columbia is an Ivy. Barack Obama got his undergrad degree there. Someone asked what is an Ivy League school – oh boy. let’s just say it is a group of the oldest, most selevtive prestigious schools in America: Harvard, Darmouth, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, Berkeley, Brown, Cornell – sorry for those whose Ivy I forgot. I think that is it. Also, there is a lamo school in Chicago called Columbia College NOT the same as Columbia University. The University in NY is a centuries old prestigious Ivy League school. Oh, and my Daddy went there :)

shes dumb and has no talent

@Kay:

Glad someone caught onto that too. I doubt any of the teeny boppers on here would figure that out and are rather spazzing that someone from Harry Potter is going to their school.

@Jolie hot chin not: “Lamo” school? It’s actually a really good school. My cousin studied there and now he’s got an editing job in L.A. It’s far from “lamo”.

Good for her. she sounds like a smart cookie. She’s continuing her education, that’s the point people.

Sounds awesome. I’d love to visit. I only know one person who went there and she currently works as an ordinary secretary. Go figure. Wish I could go there but I will be happy with my State U. I really like this girl, she’s got a good head on her shoulders. Good role model. And let me just add the blackberry ad on this page is making me severely jealous. I want one!!

Actually Stanford and Berkeley aren’t Ivy League Schools.

The Ivy League, while currently synonymous with old/respective/elite universities, is actually an athletic conference. At the time it was created in the 1800s, it was comprised of the schools in the surrounding areas.

The schools are Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Yale, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, and University of Pennsylvania.

columbia grad @ 06/24/2009 at 4:09 pm

columbia’s GS program (or school of continuing education, general studies, whatever you wanna call it) is basically just for ANYONE who isn’t coming straight out of high school…so, given that she’s an actress and didn’t apply to college right after high school, it was inevitable that she got into GS and not into the far more competitive/prestigious college division…not to say that she can’t be smart, but it still remains to be seen. anyway, columbia kids don’t really care about stuff like this–nobody knew who anna’s daughter was on campus and nobody cared. wouldn’t be surprised at all if it turned out to be columbia she’s going to…it’s the ‘cool’ ivy to go to cause it’s in new york. can anyone really see an actress who likes to party and shop in providence? yeah, NO.

And dumb*** outlets like this keep it un-private.

Sweeiiit. I’ll be on a lookout! LOL!

Columbia alum @ 06/24/2009 at 6:41 pm

This looks like a fake page. The School of Continuing Education is for adults–beyond normal college age, i.e., over 22 at least.

Emma took a gap year and just turned 19. If she applied to Columbia it would have been to the undergraduate school, Columbia College (or if she wanted the female-only college affiliated with Columbia, then Barnard College).

In a recent interview Emma did say she wanted to attend a US college but then added she preferred one NOT in New York, because it would be too “distracting.”

The other problem with US universities is that almost all of them begin in late August, and she is committed to filming HP until September.

whortensia @ 06/24/2009 at 7:13 pm

Anna you are right, there are no Ivy schools in California. And Columbia alum is also on target. One has to suspect this entry is fake in some way or another. Maybe she is going to several Ivy schools all at once? You know, “Play the field.” LOL

awww =[
i really thought that she was going to harvard
whatever i guess
it’s nice 2 see her actually care about her education unlike many other young actors

This news could be true, but I doubt she will confirm because she very SMARTLY wants to keep it quiet for as long as she can. One of her main reasons for going to University is so that she can get some kind of normality in her life, so I doubt she will want to enter school with the media all up in her business.

i still think she’s going to Brown. Either way all of her rumored choices are Brilliant schools.

@ach:

Says who? The continuing education is for people who start a little late. It is equally difficult to get into.

By the way, if you are a celeb, ivys really like you anyway as it is a big plus.

what the BLEEP, JustJared?!?!? She specifically wanted it to be kept private and you go and POST it? Was that really necessary? What did you gain from it? Shame on you. I used to have some respect for this site, now.. not so much.

finallyfindtheway @ 06/24/2009 at 10:26 pm

She is real “Legally Blonde”

go emma!!!! she’s awesome

It would be soo hilarious if her roommates turned out to be hardcore Harry Potter fans. I don’t know who would be more shocked…Emma or the roommates.

ANYONE CAN GET INTO CONTINUING EDUCATION. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO IN AND ENROL. THAT’S NOT PRESTIGIOUS. I FIND IT FUNNY HOW THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE HER SOUND SO SMART, WHEN SHE’S PROBABLY JUST AVERAGE.

LOL

@columbia
I totally agree! – the Ivy League schools are pretty prestigious. However, if you’re any kind of celeb, you will most likely be accepted. =___= I hate how people are like ” OMG! SHE MUST BE LIEK SO SMART FOR GETTING INTO AN IVY LEAGUE! ” It’s more surprising when a celeb DOESN’T get into an Ivy League.

People, get it through your heads – if you’re a celeb with decent academic record, you WILL get into a lot (if not all) of the Ivy League schools… It’s all about the publicity and prestige and money that the stars can bring to the school. In Watson’s case, she can bring two of the three above (IDK about “prestige”….). Do you really think they’d reject THE Hermione Granger?

And before others say something about it, I know how admissions work because I have worked at admissions offices of universities before. As an international student, it’s extremely difficult to get in UNLESS: 1. You have lots of money (which she does) 2. You’re a figure with major influence on the world (such as from a royal or political family, but as part of HP, she kind of does have some influence?).

I mean, yes, she seems pretty smart, but I haven’t heard of her being extraordinary in the academic department. I know A LOT of people who went to/are at Yale, Harvard, etc. and these are kids that got perfect SAT scores, 4.0 GPAs, were (for example) national science champions, national math (calculus, diff eq, etc) champions, etc all in high school. In short, they were the BEST of the BEST.

Tell me, what has she done that counts as “extraordinary”? She’s Hermione Granger? That was all LUCK. She’s a decent actress, but not that great.

Please get it through your head that AS A STAR, IT IS NOT HARD TO GET INTO AN IVY LEAGUE. Period.

I also meant to say, I really REALLY doubt she’d have gotten in if she hadn’t been a celeb. >____>;;;

futureproduct @ 06/25/2009 at 6:19 pm

@B:

Is everyone failing to notice the P.P.S.? The entire rumor is dispeled by it.

“P.P.S. A Bwog commenter points out a Charlotte Watson on LinkedIn is enrolled at the School for Continuing Education. Boo hoo!”

Plus continuing studies is grad school, not undergrad. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s true. I’m disappointed as well- I live in NY.

whortensia @ 07/04/2009 at 12:08 pm

SHE IS GOING TO BROWN. DAN RADCLIFFE SAYS SO IN A RECENT INTERVIEW AND HE WOULD KNOW FOR SURE.

@Jane:

OMG. u saw james franco?! he was at NYU and then UCLA and then finally now he’s supposedly at Columbia right? so tell me more about your encounter jane! please? I am seriously head over heels for franco right now. he has the most gorgeous smile of anybody in the history of EVER.

@Jolie hot chin not:

berkeley and stanford are not ivy leagues. ivies are only on the east coast, and they consist of 8 schools: harvard, yale, princeton, columbia, dartmouth, cornell, upenn, brown.

whitney lopez @ 07/14/2009 at 10:46 pm

@ach:

Not true. You have to apply and be accepted. Applications require transcripts, letters of recommendation, portfolios, writing examples, etc. It is very competitive. It is meant to allow for students to work as well as go to school.

Edgar Daniels @ 07/17/2009 at 1:28 pm

@ whitney lopez

Your right because im at GS and it was definitely not easy getting in. And most of us at GS got it tough, because we have full time jobs and families. All while getting the same work and classes that Columbia College students get. So for those that don’t get their facts straight remember ignorance will be your DOWN FALL!!!

Edgar Daniels @ 07/17/2009 at 1:34 pm

Oh and i forgtot to mention we pay the same amount as Columbia College.

secret :) @ 08/18/2009 at 6:03 am

i reckon its stupid. if she wants to be normal then let her. its her life, her decisions, her resonsibilities.

like it would be awesome if u went to the same uni with her but i dont think use should make such a big deal out of it.
let her be.

secret :) @ 08/18/2009 at 6:04 am

let her be.

Uhhh guys, she announced weeks ago that shes attending borwn, THIS IS A FAKE!!!!!!!!

what a girl she is !