Heath Ledger Covers Vanity Fair

Heath Ledger Covers Vanity Fair

Heath Ledger‘s final days are chronicled in Peter Biskind’s cover story, “The Last of Heath,” in the August 2009 issue of Vanity Fair, on NY/LA stands July 1 and nationally July 7.

“[Heath] was ready to bust out of the gate, but he didn’t want to step on the gas and become something that he didn’t want to become: a matinee idol,” Heath’s friend and agent, Steven Alexander, told Vanity Fair. “He was a private person, and he didn’t want to share his personal history with the press. It just wasn’t up for sale. That’s part of the reason he initially tore down his career. He wasn’t motivated by money or stardom, but by the respect of his peers, and for people to walk out of a movie theater after they’d seen something that he’d worked on and say, ‘Wow, he really disappeared into that character.’ He was striving to become an ‘illusionist,’ as he called it, able to create characters that weren’t there.”

Check out the full article at VanityFair.com.

Getty

oh wow .. I really want to read this.. RIP Heath <3

heath the druggie @ 06/29/2009 at 2:20 pm

this is stupid and old news. why we honor and pay tribute to druggies is beyond me

He has been dead for a year and a half. Can the media finally let him rest in peace?

Gee Micheal Jackson dies and now people want to capitalized on Heath’s death all over again. No doubt some will be trying to find similarities between their deaths. Vanity Fair shouldn’t have gone there AGAIN.

He was soooooo beautiful! RIP Heath…

i still miss him, its so good they pay him tribute

Can you imagine what they will say about number 2 when he/she passes? Lack of empathy or compassion…isn’t there a name for that?

Beautiful cover. Sad lost for all of us. He was a great, great actor. But it’s nice to see this tribute. He deserves it for sure. Well done, VF.

Why don’t they just leave him alone!!!???

It’s because his new movie Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus comes out this fall/winter. Heath is so cute on the cover.

Michelina @ 06/29/2009 at 3:33 pm

I loved him since before I saw his first Vanity Fair cover, probably ten years ago? Maybe eight. I don’t know if I can handle this one. I’m still getting used to him not being here. He was sweet and sexy and he had so much more to give. Would have given anything to see him live to direct movies. He would have been awesome.

Anonymous @ 06/29/2009 at 3:40 pm

it’s funny how he got famous just because he’s dead now

enough of him. he rests in peace!!

And WHY is it necessary to make a cover of Heath now?

$$$$$$$$
Nothing else.

Let him rest in peace as he was and is.
Life goes on.

Money will not bring him back.

irish girl @ 06/29/2009 at 4:04 pm

@Michelina: Try to remain calm. I’m sure he wasn’t a close, personal friend. Geez. Over dramatize much? He was an actor. Keep some perspective.
I agree with “me”… his movie is coming out, so they’re doing a feature article.
People, they didn’t do this because MJ, etc. just died. It takes well over a month to get an article and pictures ready to go for a magazine. Vanity Fair was being printed by the time MJ and Farrah passed.

i love you eternity heath <3

“enough of him. he rests in peace!!”

Shut up.

Beautiful (((Heath)))

Just because someone has been gone a long time, doesn’t mean you can’t continue to pay tribute to them. God, you people are so cold sometimes. His final movie is coming out. Have some freakin’ compassion.

“And WHY is it necessary to make a cover of Heath now?”

Because his new movie is coming out you fool!

great actor, i thought he really played his role in the batman movie
i dont think batman 3 will live up to it’s hype after how heath played the joker

Heath’s part in the movie is shared by OTHER actors. Why not one of them on the cover if it’s just to promote the movie? It’s not just because that movie is coming out that he’s on the cover, it’s because they’re trying to SELL MAGAZINES and there’s nothing like a dead man to sell them. They’re rehashing old stuff about him. If you think of the kind of person he was, do you think HE would approve?

Vanity Fair is quite clearly exploiting his death to sell magazines. Which quite honestly is the same kind of yellow journalism they’ve been regurgitating for years which is why I canceled my subscription about 6 years ago. I will not read this story out of respect to Heath, his family and what I presume to be his real friends who would never talk to the press about their loved one with a motivation of money.

His new movie is coming out you people.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus with, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law.
So shut up.

RIP Heath.

always a bridesmaid @ 06/29/2009 at 4:46 pm

# 12 me is correct.
Heath was a great young actor. Very different and fitting to each role.Never looking or sounding the same. Most American actors do not have that talent like British and Australians actors.

Amercian great actors:Dinero,Pachino, Denzel Washington,John Travolta,Johnny Depp,and few others.
Merly Streep,Cher, JodieFoster, .

breathinbreathout @ 06/29/2009 at 4:57 pm

@Anonymous: YOu must be like 15 or something? Heath was famous for years before his death. Loved , respected and all over the world…far more so than your sorry self will ever be.

Truly a down to earth guy. I just wish he would have been more careful with the drugs. He had more things to accomplish on this planet.

Love and miss you Heath!

#2 – Heath Ledger was a very talented actor, a loving father, and a giving person. He was not a “druggie.” Go crawl back under your rock.

RIP, Heath! We still miss you, and always will.

loser heath again..!! @ 06/29/2009 at 5:56 pm

Gee they both died the same way.. accidental drug use…and having
to see both Michael and Heath get the raw end of the deal..

Now why not bring out Anna Nicole Smith too.. since we all know that
she is the biggest icon of them all…Why do you think that Michelle broke up with him .. and his drug pipes and his drug abuse prescription and all..He was a scuzzbag greasy long haired guy who
both him and Michael became friends with Deepak just before they
both died.. Have both Michael and Heath on the cover both are loved
by their fans…Cash cow Matilda again…right he lost a lot of money from his drug addiction..

32# What a moron you are. Do us all a favor and go jump off a bridge.

Heath was very talented and beautiful and, judging by what everyone said about him and how he acted in interviews, a lovely person. He deserves all the tributes he’s getting. Bitter b*tches who can’t deal with that can gtfo.

Shakirakitten @ 06/29/2009 at 6:45 pm

Well, Heath was really good at being an ‘illusionist’ I saw Batman and his performance gave me goose bumps and several of those ‘ahhh’ moments when one realizes one is seeing greatness. He was great.

It’s too bad he didn’t think of his daughter more and less of his self before the druggie OD and died.. He also could have updated his will for her, selfish prick

whortensia @ 06/29/2009 at 6:55 pm

That was precisely what made him so great in Brokeback. He disappeared into Ennis; he became Ennis. In contrast Gyllenhaal was always Gyllenahal playing Jack. The Gyllenhaal never left the Jack, as it were. And that is the difference between a truly great actor and just a good actor.

whortensia @ 06/29/2009 at 7:00 pm

He was very good as The Joker but not as good as he was as Ennis in Brokeback. Ennis was his greatest role and one of the greatest performances in all of movies. It was criminal to deny his the Oscar for that performance. The award he got for The Joker was sort of a “make amends” award, because however good it was The Joker performance was not the equal of the Brokeback one.

whortensia, you are well named! Clearly a well established Jakehater. I adore Heath. But as far as Brokeback Mountain goes, Heath and Jake depended on each other for their performances. There would have been no great performance for Heath without Jake. And vice versa. They had “synergy.” You HAD to dump on Jake to exalt Heath. So sad. You should go back to your forums. Oh. I forgot. One of them won’t let you be negative and creepy. Well, they won’t let you be neagtive.

loser heath again..!! , I do think Heath used drugs occasionally, but I don’t think he was an addict. I also think it was him who broke up, not Michelle. You should read the whole VF article to get some clues!

heath the druggie @ 06/29/2009 at 7:54 pm

@slambang:
what do you think he died of? dee dee dee you obviously didnt eat your smart puffs this morning

heath the druggie = same twat posting over and over the same rubish

Go outside and play a little, get some fresh air and, you know, a life.

Heath was a gorgeous man and a terrific actor. I loved him ever since I saw him in 10 Things I Hate about You but at the time it was more because of his charm and good looks. After Brokeback Mountain I realized what a great actor he was. His work in The Dark Knight is nothing short of outstanding.

There’re very few actors who have managed to lose themselves in their characters like Heath has in Ennis and the Joker. Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, Philip Seymour Hoffman come to mind. The entertainment world and us fans have lost a very gifted young actor. It makes me so sad that we’ll never see him on screen again but in his short life he left an important legacy. Thank you, Heath. May you rest in peace.

it isn’t fair to the families of Ledger and (now) Michael Jackson’s, to say drugs/medication was the cause of their passing, when you’re obviously not a toxicologist, nor know the complete story. It’s heart-wrenching to read comments about Michael Jackson apparently ‘popping pills’, when it’s quite possible he was using to rid himself of pain.

At last the people who were with him just before his death are speaking out and good for them. Shame on you Michelle Williams, you are a horrible horrible person and the way you have played the media to your advantage DISGUSTS me. That’s all I have to say.

Heath ci manchi tanto,ti porteremo sempre nei nostri cuori.

with full respect, but ain’t this like a year too late?

Anynoymous @ 06/30/2009 at 10:22 am

Hooray for Vanity Fair and Terry Gilliam. Never liked Michelle Williams, she always seemed like she had tried to trap Heath via the baby trick and Heath put up with her as much as he could for the sake of the baby, who he truly loved. Why should Terry and the other people in this article KEEP QUIET? Why? In this case, keeping quiet would be like LYING. The truth is what matters and if the truth was what they claim, then I think it’s good for it to come out, in Heath’s honour. Terry loved Heath, they were likeminded people, they got on like a house on fire and he was the last person to work with Heath, therefore the man knows what he’s doing and I’m sure he’s doing it, coming out with the TRUTH because he felt it was for the best. Why should he protect Michelle’s image if it was she who had acted like a cow with Heath and therefore caused him to ‘snap’. I can’t imagine Heath angry with a girl but I bet he was very very angry with her, and frustrated, that he couldn’t be with his lovely baby daughter because of Michelle’s nasty character, because that’s all it was. Heath was a wonderful father and Michelle had no right to keep him away from Matilda. Why would Terry say all this now? Because it needed to be told that’s why. The truth is NEVER EVER wrong, that’s why.

we know now why he is dead and we know now who is responsable of his death
SHAME ON YOU MICHELLE SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

heaths'close @ 06/30/2009 at 6:00 pm

I hope Heath’s familly will do something and will against michelle.
michelle williams is selfish and she is a good actress to be a fake grieve, I know why she said in a interview that she made a mistake and try to forgive them. and why she doesn’t want to go in australia with heath’s daughter
she is a b!tch!!!!!

Anonymous @ 07/01/2009 at 1:37 am

Heath Ledger fans are as tweaked as Robert Pattinson fans who despise any woman that dares breath next to their deity. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so creepy.

In respect to Heath’s death, seriously does Rest In Peace mean nothing to Vanity Fair? His untimely death struck our hearts over a year ago, so why do we need to bring his life story back again???? You should be covering Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett’s life story.

@irish girl:
Give her a break. Good actors make their fans feel like they’re connected. Isn’t there some celebrity that you think would be your best friend if only you could just meet? lol I am a big fan of Robert Downey Jr, and I’ve never met him but I’m still proud that he was able to overcome addiction and get his life back on track. As a recovering addict myself I look to people like him as inspiration, and he’s also an example of how well addicts can do when they are given a second chance. So based on that I guess you would say I am “overdramatic”. Michelina expresses her honest emotion in a comment forum, and you make it sound like she has a mental disorder. I’m with you Michelina, he was a good actor, and everytime I see The Dark Knight I get pissed at him for not taking better care of himself. That performance was a preview of what was going to happen to his caeer, and it sucks that it’ll never happen.

lovely photos of Heath Ledger

When Heath Ledger died, his friends and colleagues built a respectful wall of silence around his personal life. Terry Gilliam should probably have done the same. Still, the comments made about Ms. Williams sounded plausible. Relationships often turn toxic when one partner, sometimes with the best of intentions, sets out to change, or “fix”, the other. I wish the original version of Heath Ledger were still around … smoking his pot, drinking his wine … thrilling us with his breathtaking creative genius. Maybe he didn’t need “fixing”. One thing seems clear. This young man was too gentle to live among the wolves.

such a beautiful smile.
It’s strange.
This article made me smile.
And then it made me tear up.
There are men in this world…
and then there’s Heath Ledger.
Love you sweetheart, R.I.P.

@Anonymous: Dear “anonymous”, He was already famous! That’s why it was such a big story! The lost future of a great talent…it’s so sad we won’t get to see him grow & prosper in his craft.

She is not an adult @ 04/04/2010 at 12:52 am

To #47

I am sure Heath Ledger is very happy about what you said and you honored his memory. I completely agree with you.
Heath Ledger NEVER LOVED MICHELLE WILLIAMS.
She never would have become as famous as she is now if
it were not for Heath Ledger. She is a calculated conceited princess
who must have followed all that was said about Naomi Watts and
how Heath Ledger was not ready to get married or have children
yet. She trapped and tried to keep Heath Ledger after the filming
for Brokeback Mountain was finished. She is a liar like her father.
She is also very much like that VERUCA character with regard
to the relationship with her father. She has behaved like a spoiled
conceited teenager having her father advise her on everything.
Her father and her mother probably helped her to bully Heath.
She was nothing but a EUNICE to Heath Ledger. It is so sad that
Heath Ledger had met her at all. I feel sorry for the one woman out
there in this world who should have met him before Michelle and
she would have been what he really wanted.
Veruca and Eunice are characters from movies and best describe
the true personality Michelle Williams tried to hide from the public.

@tmb:

It wasnt his fault, he was cursed his face mask looked like ”The Crow” thats why he died that make-up is cursed(And at first I thought his death was a good die young thing).Several people have been saying it.I dont beileve in curses but when it comes to celebrities who’ve died I beileve in it

@She is not an adult:
Heath DID still love her shes the reason why he did the ”Im Not There”
movie you stupid b*tch

@breathinbreathout:
he was unknown when he was alive ,he wasnt that famous at all

I highly doubt that Heath would be happy about a witch hunt against Michelle. Terry Gilliam should be ashamed of himself for saying this crap.