New 'Iron Man 2' Stills!

New 'Iron Man 2' Stills!

Gwyneth Paltrow, who played the plucky assistant Pepper Potts in the original Iron Man, will be promoted to head of Stark Industries in the sequel but will face some romantic competition from Scarlett Johansson as the villain Black Widow (she has keen hand-to-hand combat skills).

Mickey Rourke plays Ivan Vanko, or Whiplash, a weapons dealer who acts as Tony Stark’s alter-ego.

Robert Downey Jr., of course, returns as Stark/Iron Man and Don Cheadle replaces Terrence Howard as Col. James ‘Rhodey’ Rhodes.

For more on Iron Man 2, which opens on May 7, 2010, visit USAToday.com.

iron man 2 stills 01

• Luke Perry has joined the cast of CSI: Cyber- Entertainment Weekly
  • Martha Stewart slams Gwyneth Paltrow- Huffington Post
  • Read a review of Keira Knightley's new film Laggies- Lainey Gossip
  • Jerry Seinfeld honors Joan Rivers at an award show- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Cora Keegan shows off her bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Scarlet looks very good!

Scarlett looks really beautiful.

What’s up with Paltrow’s face? It looks hard and botoxy.
Agree, Scarlett looks very pretty there.

Lol@ these promotional shots being released after Gwyneth whined about not being on the cover of Entertainment Weekly.

That is one SEXY Black Widow!

Ok, now I understand the fuss over ScarJo.
She can’t act but she’s smoking!

true blood @ 07/22/2009 at 12:16 pm

The guys look hot. Scarlett makes a very sultry Black Widow. Gwyneth looks like Scarlett’s mother in that shot.

Robert looks really handsome. Scarlett looks very sexy. Now I’m looking forward to Black Widow. Hope she doesn’t mangle the accent.

Gwyneth looks like Sissy Spacek in that photo.

I like them both, but Scarlett just edges it for me.

Stark’s ‘alter ego’? That makes no sense…how can Mickey Rourke be playing Stark’s alter ego? Iron Man is Stark’s alter ego!
Do you mean enemy?

I don’t like Gwyneth’s hairstyle; bangs don’t suit her. Agree, BW looks sexy. Maybe Scarlett will be ok in this after all.
Either way, they got my $$$.

I hope this is a return to form for Scarlett Johansson. She needs to knock this role out of the park!

Scarlett looks so good. Love the outfit.

I know she’s playing a business woman, but why did they make Paltrow look so plain? Couldn’t they sex her up a little?

boogie nights @ 07/22/2009 at 12:49 pm

Good to see Mickey Rourke getting more work.
Don Cheadle will steal every scene!

My guess is the makeup artist/costume designers are just being faithful to the comic. I think Pepper is supposed to be cute but sort of plain, whereas Natasha/Black Widow is supposed to be quite beautiful.

This is going to be amazing!
Can’t wait to see RD and SJ on screen together!

I really like Gwyneth’s clothes in these films, they’re sexy chic but they do make her look older. Or maybe it’s just that Scarlett looks so young. I dunno.

Johansson is playing Black Widow? I thought she was the new Pepper Potts.

I really, really wanted Emily Blunt for Black Widow — she’s beautiful and can actually act — but I’ll “try” to reserve judgement since Scarlett does look very beautiful in that photo. I hope her acting is as good.

Scarlett and Paltrow will bring it down.Im watching it for Downey,Cheadle and Rourke.

Also, too bad Rachel McAdams passed on the Pepper part — she would have been great, although I think Paltow is o.k.
May 2010 can’t come soon enough!

While Im not a fan of the ladies with their faces,acting and personality. They are watchable than Jake’s sis in the Dark Knight.

Irish Girl @ 07/22/2009 at 1:18 pm

@guest: Goop has to keep up with Scarlett somehow. I guess botox is it!
Scarlett looks stunning in these pics.

i n f a m o u s l y c o o l @ 07/22/2009 at 1:36 pm

if ironman2 is anything like ironman (which was the 2nd/3rd best comicbook film ever) it will be great.
robert was born to play tony stark. i’m not really feeling don as rhodey, i liked terrence. don’s a bit on the small side. ugh..

Scarlett is so boring and can’t act.

Two beautiful and talented actresses. Scarlett is naturaly sexy and I bet she will rock as a vilain. I’m not exactly a fan of this genre of movie, but sometimes I got surprise with some good ones as “Spider Man”. ;)

Paltrow is not pretty but at least she can act. Johansson I’m not so sure but these pics do look promising. She sure brings the sex appeal needed for Black Widow. Factor in the charisma of Downey Jr. and this looks pretty good.

Two beautiful and talented actresses. Scarlett is naturaly sexy and I bet she will rock as a villain. I’m not exactly a fan of this genre of movie, but sometimes I got surprise with some good ones as “Spider Man”. ;)

christine @ 07/22/2009 at 4:02 pm

I LOVE Gwyneth Paltrow! I use to love Scarlett Johanson, but since she got together with boring Ryan Reynolds even b4 marriage, her appeal died on me. I liked her personality before. but then all of a sudden, she quieted down for some reason a while back. Maybe it was cause of Ryan.

HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED ONE THING? ALL THE ACTORS ARE JEWS,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I HATE SCARLETT SHE’S FAKE AND OVERRRATED

christine @ 07/22/2009 at 4:21 pm

@AMOUNNA:

I LOVE JEWS! THEY MAKE THE BEST BOSSES! Out of all the employers that I have had in a lifetime… the ones who were the best were the ones who were Jewish… they work hard… train you well… are not easy… but have heart. Seriously, I’ve had it in good with the Jews. (It’s not a big deal if you call them Jews, although some say it’s offensive. You’re supposed to say… Jewish ppl, I think, LOL, I don’t know. The Hebrews?).

Movie Watcher @ 07/22/2009 at 4:21 pm

Scarlett is beautiful. Gwyneth is plain and boring.
Who cares if the actors are Jewish? So is half of Hollywood.
As long as they get the best actors for the part, that’s all that matters.
The director’s first choices, Blunt and McAdams, would have rocked these roles, but I will still see the film for the fantastic Robert Downey Jr.

@AMOUNNA: bring on those FAKE plastic surgery claims

omg
scar looks amazing, altho i dont think she’s gonna do that well
def not watching it for her acting skills
but she’s gorgeous

LC @ 07/22/2009 at 1:06 pm

Johansson is playing Black Widow? I thought she was the new Pepper Potts.
——-
If only; maybe there would be some SPARKS between Downy’s character and the prim and proper Ms. Potts. As it is we’re stuck with wooden Paltrow with whom Downey has no one screen chemistry. She’s like a slug in the original Iron Man movie.

ironman 2 is gonna suck @ 07/22/2009 at 5:18 pm

Because Scarlett CANNOT play a villian. Especially with an accent, dear lord.

@Chris:

As if you know that’s even true. LIke she called you or something and told you she was upset? Any idiot knows RDJ was promoting IM2 with the newbies. So why would GP have been on the cover? SHe isn’t a newbie. DUH!!!!!

@amanda: Anyone who worked on the set knows it’s true. Gwynnie has not been a happy campter over being upstaged by Scarlett but not much she can do…Scarlett has the larger and more interesting role. Bob isn’t promoting IM2 with just the ‘newbies,’ he’s doing more promotion with the characters that have larger and more compellling storylines — they happen to be Mickey and Scarlett.

scarlet’s hair looks REALLY wierd!! downey looks hot! he allways does! haha..

scarlet’s hair looks REALLY wierd!! downey looks hot! he allways does! haha..

scarlet’s hair looks REALLY wierd!! downey looks hot! he allways does! haha..

hope it’s as good as the first one!

Gwyneth Paltrow is useless!

Paddisonluvr @ 07/22/2009 at 7:38 pm

Personally, I love Gwyneth and thought she was great in the first Iron Man. I don’t know what to expect from Scarlett – I can only hope she does a good job. RDJ is great and I’m happy that he and Kevin Feige seem so confident that Iron Man 2 will be super successful (that was from the EW story). Can’t wait for news from Comic Con this weekend – thanks for the pics, JJ!! Oh and also – I think Pepper and Tony DO have on-screen chemistry. But that’s just me.

YEAH FOR GWYNETH PIX! cannot wait for this film – the first was awesome.

True, Scarlett can’t act and Gwyneth isn’t much better. Imagine would the film would have been like if Downey had been paired with Winslet or McAdams. Don’t worry about Gwyneth though, she’s only a supporting player in the sequel.
As for Black Widow, I’ve heard the chemistry between SJ and RDJ is solid and judging by the pics, she does look beautiful and sexy.

I’ll be seeing this for the hotness that is RDJ. Bring it on!! I’m also looking forward to what Mickey will bring to the movie.

scruffy puffy @ 07/24/2009 at 2:46 am

scarlett = BEAUTIFUL
gwyneviere = hideous b i a t c h and nasty DIVA who should move to EUROPE PERMANENTLY!!!!

“HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED ONE THING? ALL THE ACTORS ARE JEWS,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ”

Mickey Rourke and Don Cheadle aren’t Jewish. So you can look forward to their scenes, I guess.

Mark Mywords @ 05/06/2010 at 3:09 pm

Actors or would-be actors how do you expect to make it in Hollywood when the jewish people who run Hollywood are only hiring jewish actors!!? Downey, Paltrow, Rourke, Johansson, Shandling, Favreau, etc. Jews are always pushing diversity ideas in the media but when it comes down to hiring people who are not jewish or who don’t kiss their liberal @ss, NO CHANCE. I say boycott the jews, watch movies online for free!! The jews are fascists and do not deserve one dollar from you or I. Boycott jews!!!