Diane Sawyer Replaces Charles Gibson on ABC's 'World News'

Diane Sawyer Replaces Charles Gibson on ABC's 'World News'

Diane Sawyer has left ABC’s Good Morning America but will stay with the same network, replacing Charles Gibson as the anchor on World News.

“It has not been an easy decision to make,” Gibson said in an e-mail to his staff. “This has been my professional home for almost 35 years. And I love this news department, and all who work in it, to the depths of my soul.”

“There is no one like Charlie Gibson and it is an enormous honor to be asked to join the terrific broadcast he and the great team of journalists have built at World News,” Sawyer said today. “Until then, I’ll be getting up early and spending mornings, as always, counting myself so lucky to be with Robin [Roberts], Chris [Cuomo] and Sam [Champion] and the incredibly smart, talented and dedicated team of Good Morning America.”

DO YOU THINK you will tune in to watch Diane Sawyer on World News?

Photos: Ida Mae Astute/ABC
Posted to: Charlie Gibson, Diane Sawyer

Ethan Miller/Getty

Kate bosselin @ 09/02/2009 at 12:35 pm

glad to see that stick up the butt prick leave

lisa Harris @ 09/02/2009 at 1:13 pm

Might as well cancel GOOD MORNING AMERICA..SINCE DIANE WAS
THE SHOW.. WHO CARES ABOUT THE REST OF THE NEWSCASTERS..When does she leave the show….tell us Just Jared

Diane Sawyer needs to stop making that “earnest” face. At this point, it just reads as “phony” face. I am tiring of her a bit, although I used to like her a lot – mostly it’s because of the scrunched up earnest face. She must be a very smart and tough cookie to have gotten where she is, and she needs to be very real on evening tv.

igh, i hate news anchor types. i dunno why anyone would want to be a news anchor. seems like a crap life, apart from the $$$.

youwillmissme @ 09/02/2009 at 1:33 pm

Used to like Charles, not any more. Diane is good. She’s one classy lady. Wishing her all the lucks!

The Cute One @ 09/02/2009 at 1:50 pm

I don’t like Charles anymore either. I’m glad he’s leaving. He should have left a year ago! I also am VERY glad that weasel Stephanopoulis didn’t get this job. This is a slap in little Georgie’s face and I’m glad. I’ve always liked Diane. You know this is going to be a short run. I doubt it if Diane is around more than three or four years. Maybe they are waiting for Anderson to get tired of CNN. Or maybe they are waiting to see if Chris Cuomo’s brother becomes Governor of NY. If he doesn’t Chris may step up.

It’s cool that 2 of the 3 network evening news programs will now be anchored by women.

Lefa doran @ 09/02/2009 at 3:01 pm

I stopped watching GMA when Robin Roberts came on.
I just don’t like her! I wish she was leaving, than I’d go back
to watching GMA. I can’t stand looking at RR!!

I’m glad Diane is taking Charlies place. Very sorry
Charlie is leaving. He has always done a good job reporting the
news. It won’t be the same without him.

Why is he leaving anyway? Is it because of poor ratings? Most people enjoy seeing themselves on TV all the time. mmm

adam & eve @ 09/02/2009 at 3:06 pm

bye charlie! i love world news. i think this is a good switch.

thats cool, Diane will do well who will replace her gma?

I’ll never forget when he asked Sarah Palin about Bush’s Doctrine and she said “In what respect Charlie” with her nasal voice, that was hilarious. He outed the Woman’s zero knowledge of politics lol.

@lisa Harris: Agree. I like Robin, but without Diane its pointless. . .i am hoping this is NOT going to be the same death sentence as katie Couric had when she switched.

Yes. Id tune in to watch Diane. :o)

Diana Sawyer is not worth watching…if you’ve ever seen her interview with MJ and Lisa Marie Presley back in the day, you’ll know what I’m talking about…unprofessional, asking really personal questions, interrupting, constantly making Michael out to look like a criminal and an egomaniac (she compared one of his videos to a Nazi propaganda film…!) and getting Lisa Marie mad in the process. No respect for her anymore.

meh! i love charlieeeee!!!! he’s my fav. i’ve been watching him my whole liffee!

I love Charlie too, I stopped watching gma years ago because of Diane, her voice is ANNOYING!!

ALEXANDRA @ 09/02/2009 at 9:18 pm

I love Charles Gibson- I was sad to see him leave GMA…I’m not as sad to see Diane Sawyer leave; I’m not her biggest fan…Best of luck to both of them though…wonder who will be replacing Diane? Maybe Chris and Robin will just be the two main people

Good riddens! I lost all respect for you when you tried your best to make Gov. Palin look like an idiot in your interview. I can only compare you to human waste!

I’ve never really had much of an opinion of Charlie Gibson so I won’t miss him. I really like Diane Sawyer so congratulations to her. I never thought GMA really suited her. She seems like a lot of fun in the silly sections but in interviews, I like her better in the specials that she does for 20/20 than GMA. Hopefully she will be able to shine on World News.
I agree with Lisa Harris though that she is GMA so I hope they have a better plan than keeping their current crew. Diane carries that show.

Sarah Palin doesn’t need any help looking like an idiot. She does it all on her own.

Im an aspiring Journalist and Diane is like a Godess to me. She’s one of those rare anchors who has a flawless portfolio. Adore her to pieces. Looking forward to workin with her on world news one of these days :)