Mindy Kaling - Emmy Awards 2009

Mindy Kaling - Emmy Awards 2009

Mindy Kaling cuts an elegant figure at the 2009 Primetime Emmy Awards held at the Nokia Theatre on Sunday (September 20) in Los Angeles.

The 30-year-old actress wore a flowy Alice Temperley dress and a Jimmy Choo clutch. She accessorized with Martin Katz jewels — a pair of black diamond drop earrings, pair of diamond line bracelets and a pair of diamond bangle bracelets.

Mindy is currently developing a new comedy for NBC (she’ll also star in it while continuing to do The Office).

You can follow Mindy on Twitter @mindykaling and Just Jared @JaredEng and JustJared.com @JustJared.

mindy kaling emmy awards 2009 01
mindy kaling emmy awards 2009 02
mindy kaling emmy awards 2009 03
mindy kaling emmy awards 2009 04
mindy kaling emmy awards 2009 05

A&E

Purple mess.

Oh and first.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o l @ 09/21/2009 at 7:55 am

..ewwwww!

love mindy and her twittering

Nevermind, theres something strangely comforting about her, sort of like an indian barney : O

Nice dress…but, are those stretch marks on her left arm? Really, everyone should not wear a strapless/sleeveless dress.

blah blah blah @ 09/21/2009 at 8:43 am

@I n F a m o u s l y C o o l:

Uh, no. She’s hot, and amazing.

aren’t racial divisions interesting? i mean when you look at this woman, what is the difference between her and a black woman? it’s physically the same thing yet we consider both different races. weird rules we have. she’s cute and funny. i like her.

actually some black women are much lighter too. just a thought i had looking at her pic.

^^ and no, i am neither indian nor black. just curious about this all.

She just happens to be a black Indian. In India people come in all colors. There are people in Puerto Rico and the Domonican Republic who have her color and darker. To me, she is the typical East Indian woman and so is Frieda Pinto.

You can say the same thing about Rosie Perez and Lala Vasquez. When you look at Mindy and Perez and Vasquez what is the difference between them, it is physically the same thing, yet they are both considered different races. Yeah, rules are interesting they become crazy when crazy people (especially people who are the same color) obsess over them.

anon, there is a huge difference between black and indian…..the skin tone first : some blacks are much lighter, Indians can be very dark, even darker than this.Or light sometimes like Aishwariya Rai. And what separates Indians and blacks is especially the hair. Indians have straight hair….Blacks have curls or frizzy hair. And I know what I’m talking about. I’m from somewhere where all races are like gathered. And I am a mixed Black/white/chinese/Indian woman. I have curly hair.I’m light skinned. But I guess whites think I’m a black sort of chinese lol. I know exactly what I am talking about!

She looks lovely. She is super talented, one to watch out for.

Why do I not know who she is? The Office? And does she write for the show or is she an actress? In terms of the race thing: I think the point being made is that I guess we all look like each other but somehow we convince ourselves we are different races. We are all the same at the end of the day. I’m part Jewish and some of my family look Arabic yet Arabics and Jews don’t like each other. Go figure!

blah blah blah @ 09/21/2009 at 9:38 am

@Delite:

She both writes for and stars in the Office, she plays Kelly Kapoor.

it was just an observation. like vanessa williams from ugly betty has blue eyes and really light skin and two black parents, but tiger woods who is darker is not considered black but vanessa is considered black. or rosie perez who someone mentioned above is like vanessa but rosie is latino and not vanessa. race is vague and honestly kind of a dumb concept. mindy could be considered black, indian, middle eastern and latina. so if we can all look so many things, what is the point of choosing one thing? let’s all be no race at all i think is better. ok, it’s early, maybe i don’t make sense.

This is what the average woman from India looks like. The ones from Sri Lanka and the south of India. You only see the mixed race Indians and the ones, both male and female who look more like the people of Afghanistan than like true Indians from India, in Bollywood movies. The golfer V.J. Singh is also the average South Indian male.

The Indians of Bangledash are very dark-skinned too. It is culture that separates people the most. Religions does so as well. And people with parents from different races, cultures and religions are considered biracial because it is a more accurate portrayal of who they really are. If Mindy lived in India and wanted to be an actress, she would never be considered, but she would find work in American and the U.K.

twistedculture @ 09/21/2009 at 10:05 am

@anon: Skin colour varies due to climate and geography, darker skinned people come from sunnier, hotter regions, lighter skinned people from cooler regions farther from the equator. All racial characteristics are derived as a result of mutation, selection and adaptive changes to external factors. There is actually just as much, if not more, genetic variation within a ‘race’ of people as there is between people of different ‘races’. Depending on where people originated, skin colour can vary from coal black to the palest of white. India has been populated by various different ethnic groups at various different times, from Dravidians, Mongoloids, Negritoes, Nordic Aryans, Austrics and Western Brachycephals. Mindy looks to be descended from dravidian ancestors rather than negrito ancestors but we all originated from Africa in the beginning and spread out from there. We are all descended from the continent of Africa, the birthplace of humanity.

I love it that she is confident enough to wear a strapless dress even though she has stretchmarks.

Why do comments turn into a race issue? She’s Indian. Whoop dee doo.

she’s pretty. i like her but i do not like her dress….

cutiepie32 @ 09/21/2009 at 12:21 pm

Holy sh!t she’s ugly!

cutiepie32 @ 09/21/2009 at 12:21 pm

Holy sh!t she’s ugly!

So, you do not like her dress! Who cares! When did it become about race? I really do not care what any of these stars wear, or what they do. With out us they would be nothing!
She has some stretchmarks so what! That is real life! She is talented and a cute person! Good for her that she was secure enough with herself to wear this dress ! You go girl!

Mrs.Beady @ 09/21/2009 at 1:34 pm

I love the color of her dress. Jewel tones are awesome. Much more interesting than the same ol same ol you always see. Mindy looks beautiful here, and wasn’t afraid to be different.

Fairytale @ 09/21/2009 at 1:42 pm

Cutiepie, you’re an idiot.

blah blah blah @ 09/21/2009 at 2:40 pm

@cutiepie32:

You have a very ugly soul.

Mindy is workin it! She may not be your cup of tea, but she’s probably brighter and funnier than the lot of you.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o l @ 09/21/2009 at 3:26 pm

she’s actually one of the uglyiest women on tv. she could be in the top 5 of fug tv hoess.

blah blah blah @ 09/21/2009 at 3:47 pm

@I n F a m o u s l y C o o l:

If anyone is ugly, it’s you.

damn, she’s only 30….
i thought she was mid-later 30s by now
fugly dress and she looks really bad
she looks much younger and cuter on the show

blah blah blah @ 09/21/2009 at 5:22 pm

She does not, she’s gorgeous.

I love Mindy…she’s talented and hilarious! I think she looks great. The hair could’ve been a little more event appropriate though!

well she looks at she is from southern India where there is a race called Tamil, they are darker than the northern ones which are mixture of arabs and iranians etc…

Elvie and others on this board who talk about Indians as if they are different races – you are wrong. Indians whether dark or light-skinned are all the same people. I’m Indian so I find these ideas weird.

That is a misconception. In the US you have black, white and now hispanics. Dominicans or other Hispanics that have black AFrican mix with the European or Native American, may have darker skin or kinky hair.

However different colored Indians are not a mix of different populations. In South Asia color doesn’t equal a different race as what often happens in India.

I can see how Indians can look like many “races” – whether black, white or hispanic…to others. To me Mindy looks like an Indian (and I love her, she’s so funny), Aishwarya Rai looks like an Indian, and Padma Lakshmi looks like an Indian. Of course Aish and Lakshmi are like the Charlize Therons of Indians and Mindy, lovely as she is, is more Kathy Griffin – b/c she is cute and not particularly known for her beauty.

There is no such things as some Tamil race. Padma Lakshmi is TAmil and Aish is from the deep South in India. They could all be sisters.

I just love Mindy!

She looks great

@anon:

I’m Indian and I wouldn’t see Mindy as looking like any black person I know. I can always tell a black person by their hair, no matter, if it was a weave and processed – Vanessa Williams obviously has a different type of hair than any Indian’s or other Asians I’ve seen.

cutiepie32 @ 09/21/2009 at 11:43 pm

@Fairytale: You’re a fuking idiot.

cutiepie32 @ 09/21/2009 at 11:46 pm

@blah blah blah: Shut up blah blah, You dont even know me. You dont know what my soul looks likes. Loser. I bet you’re as fugly as this chick is. HAHAHAHAHHA

blah blah blah @ 09/22/2009 at 12:54 am

@cutiepie32:

Nope, you are to say such things about a person. At least Minda is gorgeous and successful! Which is probably far better than what you are.

@Bander:

India is a COUNTRY. Sri Lanka is ANOTHER country. Your post doesn’t make sense.

bengali ppl usually are brown or dark brown or light brown. most bangladeshis don’t look like mindy kaling, only very few do. south indians are darker and many look like mindy. it has to do with the altitude i guess but the only difference between a south indian or a punjabi is skin color.

blah blah blah @ 08/01/2010 at 2:38 pm

she really is ugly though. just appeared as Amy on 40 Year Old Virgin and I almost threw up. I thought someone attractive would’ve been cast for the role, but maybe that’s just me.