David Letterman Admits Affair, Faced Extortion Plot

David Letterman Admits Affair, Faced Extortion Plot

David Letterman admitted on Thursday that he had sexual relations with female members of his staff and was the victim of a $2 million extortion attempt because of it.

Here’s what the 62-year-old star said on Thursday’s Late Show:

On giving a testimony: “This morning, I did something I’ve never done in my life. I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury.”

On admitting to engaging in sexual relationships with staff members: “My response to that is, yes I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would.”

On why he testified: “I feel like I need to protect these people – I need to certainly protect my family.”

With the help of the Manhattan District Attorney’s Special Prosecution Bureau, Letterman participated in a sting operation that included David handing a counterfeit $2 million check to the extortionist, who was arrested on Thursday.

Letterman married longtime girlfriend Regina Lasko in March (they’ve been dating since 1986). They have a son, Harry, who turns 6 next month.

UPDATE: Robert Halderman, a producer for CBS, has been arrested for extorting Letterman. Radar reports he lived with the woman who Letterman was involved with. The affair happened before his son was born but Letterman was living with his wife-to-be at the time.

David Letterman Admits Affair, Faced Extortion Plot
Photos: John P. Filo/CBS
Posted to: David Letterman

• Snooki steps out after giving birth to her second baby- US Weekly
  • Taylor Swift is getting sued by a chauffeur service- TMZ
  • Netflix has added some new films to their collection- Entertainment Weekly
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Bryana Holly knows how to heat up the desert- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 » Show All

Ok Conan time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DallasDude @ 10/02/2009 at 10:01 am

In case you haven’t come into the real world, folks, we don’t stone people any longer for having affairs. Unless other information comes out that proves he forced these women to have sex, this is strictly a private matter that he chose to make public before the tabloids turned it into sordid gossip. I can easily think of a Top 10 list of other worse offenses.

And again, he is an entertainer with a shtick for cracking jokes and interviewing people. His comments about others are to get a laugh. The whole Palin episode was totally overblown by Palin herself. She should have just said she didn’t like the “joke” but remind people that he’s an entertainer and it’s his job to make fun. Instead, she turned the whole episode into a political and social tirade. That alone would make me doubt her realistic view of life today.

@Halli: People wonder why he is attacking Palin constantly? She stands for values and he has none.

@hpaugh:

What infidelity, we don’t know for certain the timeline of his affairs, according to the article, Dave wasn’t married to his girlfriend at the time he had an affair with the alleged extortionist’s girlfriend. So far the only thing he’s guilty of is cheating on his girlfriend. And it isn’t against the law to have affairs with your suboordinates, bad taste, ethically wrong, yes, but not against the law.

Marriage may be an institution of God, but with the failure rate of most marriages, it isn’t much of one.

Apology to the Lutherans?, when you’ve got pedophile priests, sex offenders who become priests (i thought it was the other way around), and pastors who cheat on their wives, they and their ilk are the last who should demand apologies.

@Big buck:

But he doesn’t preach from a high horse of moral values like that wingnut Palin, that is the difference.

hello dude @ 10/02/2009 at 10:10 am

@DallasDude: now let’s have some fun at dave’s and his family expense! Top Ten: Harry how many times has your father cheated on your mother during their marriage. Harry what does it feel like to be a ***tard – that was for dallas dude since it doesn’t matter because it’s just entertainment , Name Letterman’s stds……

I love Dave and I would totally do him. Now I get to imagine some women actually got to.

@Anakin: Anakin, you mix Lutherans with Catholics with Episcopalians, etc.. Nothing was said about Letterman being a pedophile. Do you know something the rest of us don’t – like you know when he did and didn’t have his affairs. Your support for your arguments are full of holes and contrivances.

I bid you adieu – Proverbs 26:4

@hpaugh:

You didn’t mention the part about pastors cheating on their wives…Selective reading perhaps?

Let he who is without sin…cast the first stone, I doubt you and your cotemporaries can honestly cast anything, more like people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Anakin 3:16

@Anakin: Stop deflecting this isn’t about Palin it is about David Letterman! He has spent his entire career making jokes, monlogues, top ten at other’s expense… now Letterman himself is a sleeze. karma, that is what it is!!!!!!!!!!!

what are you saying @ 10/02/2009 at 10:51 am

@Halli: then he shouldn’t be in show biz! so you shouldn’t have pictures and these sites shouldn’t be here is that what you are saying?

SHAME ON DAVE @ 10/02/2009 at 10:53 am

I notice he never apologized to his wife who had been his live in girlfriend for about 25 years at the time. I don’t believe he’s sorry, only sorry he got caught.

leave hpaugh alone @ 10/02/2009 at 10:55 am

@Anakin: are we talking about pastors or Letterman! I didn’t read about any pastors in the article. you (hpaugh and anakin) could be one in the same with your scriptures.

DallasDude @ 10/02/2009 at 11:00 am

Most likely, he apologized to his wife in private, and probably a long time ago. Firstly, it happened before they were married. Secondly, it was a very known thing that he dated one of his writers for quite awhile in the 80s. Obviously, his now wife has either forgiven him, or didn’t count it against him to begin with. Not all affairs are sordid. That’s a belief system instilled upon us by outsiders. If your belief says it’s bad, then so be it. But there are many people who probably see this as strictly a personal matter, and one that does not really concern them.

DallasDude @ 10/02/2009 at 11:06 am

Oh, and BTW, I do belief in total separation of Church and State. I do not want to abolish religious study, but I do not want it to be part of our civic discourse. I can elect leaders who belief in faith, but not ones that preach it as law.

LOL……always thought he was a jerk.

but….someone on this post said Palin had values.

LOL LOL LoL./……..i could go on and on!

Gave me a big laugh today

Who cares? He’s very unattractive and he’s an entertainer, not a religious or political figure.

@leave hpaugh alone:

We’re talking about people from the religious right saying Dave owes an apology to them, considering all the cr@p that’s been going on in their churchs over the years, they are the last people who should be owed one. And I doubt very much hpaugh and I are the same with our scriptures. hpaugh needs to get off his high horse, the fall could be pretty hard.

En(e)ma Wattsun @ 10/02/2009 at 12:01 pm

He’s an “entertainer” who isn’t very entertaining. What he really is is a stupid smuck who has gotten into a mess. For the national good I hope this ruins him. Prolly won’t since there are lots of people as stupid as he who take comfort in his existence.

never liked him and never will

Leave David alone!! Let even one of you cast the first stone…as if you can say….You have never sinned!! He has a little boy & wife to think of now, so let him get on with his life! He has faced a lot with the heart problem, someone trying to kidnap harry. Dave is human ….just like the rest of us!

I just saw the segment fully, what an arrogant son of a *****. Unbelievable, sexual exploitation in the workplace is not funny at all.

Well!!! I for one don’t care who’s fuc^ing who, as long as it’s not rape ..
there are many different sides to doing the DO.. all were adults (I hope)
As for the sleazy extorter, good for Letterman, finally using his head
.. Ooops!! no pun intended. ( ;

Ewwww…. Who was that desperate to have sex with that man? For the women’s part, it’s got to be more than the act of sex; something tells me it’s about your boss telling to do certain things and you are obligated to do it. Letterman should be fired for having a sexual relationship with his subordinates as anybody would be if he works for a company.

Well, his big confession didn’t work for me! II was only tendered to keep the scandal sheets from breaking it. He was much too smug for me and actually came across as bragging & proud of the whole thing especially his role as staunch crimefighter……..Way to go superman, another victory in Metropolis!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 » Show All