Orlando Bloom: UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador!

Orlando Bloom: UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador!

Orlando Bloom has been appointed a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, in recognition of his commitment to the rights of children around the world.

“I look forward to working with UNICEF as they continue to make the world a better place for children,” says the 32-year-old British actor who has already seen the work UNICEF is doing in Nepal, Russia, and Sarajevo. “UNICEF doesn’t just deliver humanitarian aid, which is what they are known for all over the world. They also educate and provide tools which help women and children face challenges specific to their own lives. I responded to how UNICEF works as much as I did to the work itself. I look forward to learning more and to supporting UNICEF any way I can.”

To celebrate 20 years of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, Orlando will, this week, record a PSA for UNICEF on the importance of clean and accessible drinking water.

Credit: Eliot Press; Photos: Bauergriffinonline
Posted to: Orlando Bloom, PSA

• Johnny Galecki and Kelli Garner have decided to split- US Weekly
  • Check out a new poster for Jane the Virgin- Just Jared Jr
  • Read some of Helen Mirren's most inspirational quotes- Huffington Post
  • How much is Katie Holmes' new home in Calabasas?- Lainey Gossip
  • Kristin Cavallari shows off her body in a very tight dress- Hollywood Tuna

allspice30 @ 10/12/2009 at 12:53 pm

Congrats Orlando! We know you will do Unicef and the children good with your new role as Ambassodor!

Well I’m glad all these a**holes are getting off their butts now <3

congratulation

wow that’s so great for him, glad he’s doing it

your daily dose of.... @ 10/12/2009 at 1:07 pm

Yeah I’m sure the positive publicity and attention has nothing to fo with his motivation.

You’re wonderful, Orlando. God bless you.

@your daily dose of…

So what if he does get attention and publicity? Maybe enough people will donate or become aware that a few children that would have died might otherwise live.

baby Gone @ 10/12/2009 at 1:12 pm

At least he’s gettin’ attention for something worthy and positive and not for merely gossip….

@your daily dose of @ 10/12/2009 at 1:22 pm

I see I didn’t have to hold my breath for long until someone twisted these news to make him look evol.
You don’t get named UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for posing smiling with a kid here and giving some dollars there. It’s given to those who really work and are involved in the cause.

love Angelina @ 10/12/2009 at 1:22 pm

Yes, it catching on…………….for all the stingy millionars out there just banking all thier money it’s nice to read someone besides Brad and Angelina doing some good.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o l @ 10/12/2009 at 1:30 pm

what “celeb” isn’t nowadays? not impressive.

There is someone @ 10/12/2009 at 1:37 pm

@I n F a m o u s l y C o o l:
Tom Cruise only promotes and donates to his Scientology cult, that’s who.
Congratulations, Orland, It’s always better to garner attention for doing something good for others than for getting drunk at a club.

He’s so cool. Good work Orly!

@#10-
um, yea, actually celebrities DO get named just for posing and getting their pictures taken in these places, and then partying about it later for the press. You think they actually get their hands dirty by digging new latrines!? HAHAHAHAHAHa. Psst. This is an honorary PR celebrity title honeys. Bloom ain’t picking up a new 9-5 save the world position at HQ you know, though he sure could use a legitimate job now. No, his career is flatlining again, so its time to pull out the sweet papfests and charity gigs to prop himself up. Hook, line, sinker. But hey, goodwill away, Bloom’s fans have never been known for their smarts.

Yeah because he’s always clubbing. Always meaning three times a year.

From all your post the only thing I managed to make out is that he’s a monster because he has a girlfriend.
It’s ridiculous, now we have to defend him from being named UNICEF Ambassador LOL!

WOW!
This fandom can even make people doing good work seem evil.
LOL!
He doesn’t take a camera crew with him like certain other celebs. The only reason that we know he went to Nepal is through UNICEF, not Entertainment Tonight. he has been to Nepal several times, and helping people is nothing new to this young man. As everyone who has ever known him has said time and time again…he is a truley good person. I know that some people just can’t understand what that means, but please try.
He is using his celebrity to bring awareness to a cause. Only really hateful people could see anything wrong with what he is doing.

what have you.... @ 10/12/2009 at 3:09 pm

He’s been doing things for UNICEF for quite some time without the publicity.

To those of you who find bad in the good, I have to ask: What have you done good lately?

Orlando ! It’s cool that he’s doing another project with unicef. He seems to love a lot doing this kind of thing

Thank You , Orlando Bloom. So Proud that you accepted the job. You make UNICEF and the children happy . I know Angie and Brad will be congratulation you. AGAIN THANK YOU.

Young, rich and famous doesn’t often translate into doing good deeds.
Good guys are not that common in Hollywood.
Good for Orlando for being the exception to the rule.

Who cares? @ 10/12/2009 at 4:31 pm

Who cares what motivates Bloom or any other well-known celebrity to lend their name/time to something this worthwhile. If it helps any kids who need help, then I say “good on him.”

your daily dose of.... @17 @ 10/12/2009 at 5:29 pm

@17
No one mentioned anything about a GF sweety…….. she has nothing to do with this, I’m not sure why you brought her up.

I’m not saying that PR is the only reason he did it, or that what he’s doing isnt a good thing, but I’m sure PR it had somepart in it. And if it did it doesnt have to mean that his actions arent genuine. He may very well care about UNICEF.

I wish his fans would stop thinking the sunshines out of his ass and that he can do no wrong. No one is perfect and there is nothing wrong with pointing out that he isnt either.

But why can’t the haters admit that he has done a good thing, without twisting it into something else?
“He may very well care about UNICEF.”
Such cynicism.
Yeah, I’d say that making several trips to some one of the most remote areas on the planet, to bring awareness to a cause indicates that he cares.
If he wanted PR, he would have travelled to Nepal with a camera crew, and not the single UNICEF photographer. He did all of this good work under the radar, and you still claim that he did it for publicity.
We have never said that he is perfect. But can’t you just ONCE admit that he isn’t such a bad guy?

That’s awesome Orlando other stars need recognition..Good for you..For caring..

Good for him (and UNICEF)!

frazzled_rock @ 10/12/2009 at 11:55 pm

*applauds*
Such a good boy.

I find it quite unbelieveable that celebrities run all over the world posing and throwing their money into projects when americans can hardly eat. There are children to be educated RIGHT HERE-There are veterans lying in nursing homes and hospitals with NEEDS insurance and pensions don’t meet. There are children in the state of caiifornia where most of them live who are unfortunate to have low life parents. These kids are pushed through an educational system that cares as much about them as the celebs do-The sad thing is americans buy tickets and support the life styles of those who take their money over seas-It was said that michael J gave over 300 million to charity-Jolie.Pitt/Anniston/Winfrey-all of them claim to give-where is one american woamn, man or child who benefited from them? Do you know someone personally? I don’t mean they should stand on the corners passing out benjamins, but I am sick of seeing what I see-

Since Orlando is British, your American viewpoint is kinda moot, but anyway…

Americans, of which I am one, should be demanding better care for our children, elderly, etc., we are the “richest country in the world” supposedly and we have the resources to take care of our own. And, we should – shame on us.

Sorry but I am one American that feels “we are the world” and poor countries with no access to running water deserve attention and if it takes celebrities to awake us from our spoiled slumber then it is a good thing.

in two minds...... @ 10/13/2009 at 1:26 am

well this is good news, I’m glad OB’s work for unicef has been recognised, i suspect that there is some real interest in this for him and its not just something his PR agent came up with…

but you have to admit the timing is good for him….. yesterday there is an article in the times online about how he pulled out of in Education without it looking as if he had much reason and today this…….

cynic that I am, I can’t help putting the two together….

@American – interesting post, i don’t think helping your own nationals has quite the same appeal……

in two minds...... @ 10/13/2009 at 1:26 am

cynic that I am, I can’t help putting the two together….

@in two minds @ 10/13/2009 at 5:43 am

I’m going to spoil your fun. It’s UNICEF the ones that name people ambassadors, not him or his PR people. Besides I read the decision was taken on monday last week. That is before that article appeared.
BTW that article is confusing and doesn’t explain anything.

Yeah, the UN is widely known as being in the back pocket of publicists.
*rollseyes*

As an American myself, I can understand your frustration about the problems we face, but you must understand the difference in the poverty levels that we are discussing.
In the US, no matter how poor a child is, they have access to clean water and food. In Nepal, as you saw on the videos with Orlando, children die because the only water that they have access to is contamited. In the US, no child has to die from starvation or disentery. You can’t say that about many of the countries that these celebs visit. In the US, being poor might mean that you only have two shirts to wear, and half to eat beans every day. In some other countries, being poor means that you may not survive to see your fifth birthday.
And just because there isn’t news releases for their gifts, doesn’t mean that celebs don’t give to US charities. Oprah is well known for her altruism. Remember her gift of one million dollars to a college a few years ago? That will help underpriviledged kids go to school. And what about all of Brad Pitt’s work in re-building New Orleans? That was all over the news. Did you forget that?
And as for Orlando ( even though as a Brit he ‘owes’ us nothing), one of his pet charities is Peace Games, a program in California (and a couple other states) that helps kids in trouble, or with broken homes stay in shool.
These are good people who donate where they deem fit. It’s not your place to judge them. Unless you think that the children in Nepal or Africa aren’t as important as the children in the US. Then that’s a different problem altogether.

Erika FONSECA @ 10/13/2009 at 11:35 am

This guy is AMAZING!!!!

I don’t believe in OB anymore . All seems for show and PR. Sorry

yeah, all those kids in nepal were paid actors
and they were on set, not really in country
orlando made arrangements with an international organization to play along with this pr stunt
even though he has a history of being devoted to children’s charities, this is just a ploy
See how stupid that sounds?
The man did a good thing, and you idiots still fault him for it
P A T H E T I C

Sure UNICEF made an agreement with his PR and named him Ambassador for show.
Even you folks should set certain limits dontcha think?

No, their irrational hatred has no limits.
Neither does their stupidity.

If the person does charitable affairs with all heart it perfectly well and if all for the sake of popularity I not so support it. I hope, that Orlando does it not for the sake of the popularity, therefore I wish him successes in all!!!

Well, since he is so low key about his charity work, it’s a safe bet that he DOES NOT do it for publicity. He doesn’t drag a camera crew with him like some other celebs. *cough*angie*cough*

Yes he does all his charity work low key and it’s only made public if the charity institution wants it so and the ones who say he’s doing this for publicity know it.
Of course not everybody is born with the gift of having scruples, and are capable of accusing serious organizations that work with serious issues of taking part in a circus. And the saddest thing is the shallow and trivial reasons that move them to do this.

More for ‘The List”.
hater, day one: Orlando is a has-been, no one wants him, he has no influence anywhere in the world
hater. day two: Orlando is so famous and influential, that he’s able to bend an international organization to his will
UNICEF Chairperson..”no, we don’t have time to worry about the genocide in Darfur, we have to get this PR gig finished for Orlando by Monday”.
*rollseyes*
All that garbage has to be coming from the delphidiots. Thay are the only ones stupid and/or crazy enough to believe it.
As they say in the South, ‘the boy done good’. Can’t you idiots put aside your jaundiced view of the world and at least admit that? Or will you now claim that children’s charities are a bad thing, since Orlando is behind them? hmmm?

Why do you always have to go to the extreme in your self righteousness? No one said anything like the drivel your spouting here until you. You always open your mouth and ratchet up the hatred another notch. Wtf is YOUR problem? Your hatred and paranoia is what is

P A T H E T I C

Such a credit to Bloom and his other fans you are.

Oh, OK.
So you think that it is OK to spread your lies and hatred?
People were on this thread spouting drivel about this being a PR stunt. Are you blind? Or are you just ignoring those posts? Just like you ignore anything that doesn’t fit in with your agenda?
The only ones going to the exrtreme are the haters who are re-defining the boundaries of common sense. Trying to play the innocent victim is laughable.

orlando is a great actor and a role model for kids. he has been in 6 of the most successful movies of all time and audiences love him. plus unlike most of hollywood’s young heartthrobs, he is out there promoting causes he believes in. more celebs should do that. he also seems like a genuinely good guy.

and lol – you should get a life. what have you ever done for anyone other than spew hatred on the internet. i heard someone actually was charged with slander from a website and we are all traceable. so be careful. and more importantly, look in the mirror before badmouthing people that are actually making the world a better place.

Post 48 was spot on. But I have to correct you about LOL. Go back and re-read their posts. LOL is actually defending Orlando against the hatred spewed by the delphites and their like. LOL may be extreme, but the delphites deserve anything they get. THEY are the ones trying to bad mouth Orlando. THEY are the ones who are saying that this is a PR stunt. They try to twist everything that Orlando and/or Miranda do. If Orlando found the cure to cancer, they would say that he just did it for the money. They are repulsive.

The delphi girls are the ones who should be charged with slander/libel. They spout the most hateful lies about Miranda, just because she dares to date Orlando. If you visit their site, you will find pages of libelous claims. You will also have proof that they are the ones who started the stupidity about the UN being PR pawns. At first I couldn’t believe that they would try to twist something so good, into something so despicable. But that’s their forte’. They are hateful, obnoxious and repulsive.

They wouldn’t see the good in something even if it bites it in their a$$es.

#50 If Orlando would find the cure to cancer they would say he did it for PR & money. LOL

Sometimes I wonder from what nuthouse they escaped.

I have to admit that for me there is something strange about those celebrities who are appointed UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors. The idea is perfect. A lot of bad things are happening to children all over the world and they need protection and help. What I found odd but very interesting is that celebrity people who are involved in UNICEF projects are popular and most of them ( in my country) very rich. Really rich, among the richest in the country. But, their main job is to push and convince other people – common people who are not rich to donate money or other things. I am not sure that they ever gave any coin of their money. And their sympathies and nice words are not going to feed the hungry children. UNICEF needs money and I think that celebrities should give some on the first place. I don’t know for Orlando, but I remember that he was working on the help phone during the fire in Australia. At the same time we red how much money for the fire victims was donated by N.Kidman, K.Blanchet and many others. So, who helped victims better? Orlando with his nice words or Kidman who gave money for water, medical supplies, food, blankets … No hard feelings, I am just asking.

This is not helping your cause, mia. For the last time, it’s UNICEF the ones that decide which celebrities are named Goodwill Ambassadors. There’s no publicity stuff in there, and you should be ashamed of these accusations of trivialization of something as serious as people in desperate situations, that you and your little cult throw at Orlando and much worse, at UNICEF.
Orlando has taken part in many charity events and trips, as UNICEF explains. You just have only heard of Nepal and the Australian telethon because unlike other celebrities he doesn’t take cameras with him when he does something good. It’s not only that he does a lot for charity, but he also doesn’t advertise it, showing a lack of pride that should be admired, not insulted.
Good for Kidman for giving the money from her confortable sofa, but Orlando encouraged people to give their money and gathered it, picking up a phone for a whole night. He worked and I’m sure he gave money too (without advertising it). But since nowadays some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing, I don’t expect you to share my views.

Some people make it public when they spent money and/or do good and some don’t.
I doubt the UNICEF ambassador title is given easily by them. IMHO a celeb has proven in many ways that he/she is really intrested in the work and the projects they’re involved.

the Goodwill Ambassador title is not a title given just to honour the celebrity, but to make said celebrity accept a commitment with the cause. Orlando won’t just “look good” with this title, he will also have to accept the responsibility it represents. And I doubt UNICEF hands this responsibility to someone they don’t find capable or committed enough for it.
It’s extremely easy for a rich person to give money ONCE even if of course it’s a generous gesture. The difficult task is to actually do something, work and travel for the cause, and convince others to join it.

Look here... @ 10/15/2009 at 10:30 am

I’m not sure if Jared will let me put this video up or not. It is a you tube video of a lady from the UN talking about Orlando becoming a Unicef ambassador.

Unless my hearing is incorrect, it sounds like the lady said that Orlando requested to become an Ambassador. Around 24 seconds on the clock counter, she says, “yesterday he said he wants to be an ambassador for children’s organizations….”

@look here... @ 10/15/2009 at 10:39 am

And despite not deserving to be named an Ambassador at all, despite being selfish, vain and irresponsible, UNICEF named him an Ambassador only because he said he wanted to become one, right?? Pleaaaaase! LMAO
Correct me if I’m wrong but that lady also said something like “he’s been named an Ambassador IN RECOGNITION of his work with…” didn’t she? That sounds like it was their idea.
He probably did say he wanted to become an Ambassador because I guess that he must’ve been asked if he wanted to become one before naming him, because being an Ambassador is a responsibility.

Look here... @ 10/15/2009 at 10:46 am

@ 58

no they probably asked him if he would be an official ambassador. I never said that he accepted it because he was selfish or vain. You are the one who is assuming that.

you are the one who assumes what others are feeling, or what they are implying. must be difficult to live feeling so much negativity about others on a daily basis. all those nasty feelings you direct toward them do not hurt them, they only hurt you.

No! You didn’t say that they asked him if he would be an ambassador, you said that he requested to become one. Now you’re changing your words or swallowing them because you saw you’re wrong.

I’m not assuming anything, there are several people on this thread saying that all this is for publicity and that none of his charity work is worthy because he hasn’t advertised around the money he’s given or the work he’s done. Yes I tend to get nasty as fuq when people disrespect UNICEF and badmouth people who work to help others, and even more nasty when the reason to do this is something as shallow as not liking the person he chose as a partner.

Look here... @ 10/15/2009 at 11:20 am

@ 60

so I admitted I was wrong. I guess there really is a first time for everything.

I wonder though, not insinuating anything bad by this, how many trips with Unicef he did before they considered asking him to be an ambassador? Did they ask him right away, or after he made those trips with them?

The lady of the video from your link answers your question but you were focusing on something different when you saw it.

Look here... @ 10/15/2009 at 12:06 pm

@ amazing

do you have all the answers then?

just a simple question. I’m not insinuating anything.

if they didn’t ask him until now, I am very happy he said yes. If they asked him from the beginning, I can understand why he would wait, to make sure he had enough time to devote to the cause and all that.

I’m just wondering what you think my feelings about this are?

I don’t think he is doing it for PR or anything like that. I just think that maybe he wanted to make sure he would have the time to devote to it.

no I didn’t completely understand that they asked him first. I was under the assumption that he went to them and asked if he could be made an official ambassador.

I am just wondering did they ask him when he first started doing work for them, or after he had done it for a while?

just a simple question. so what if I got confused. do you always enjoy making fun of others when they don’t understand something? you don’t sound so “amazing” to me. I think you should change the name you post under.

I think it’s of common sense that you don’t go to UNICEF and ask them to name you an Ambassador, just like you don’t ask The Academy to give you an Oscar. He did something to deserve it and then the UN decided to give him that title.
Your video said he was named an Ambassador for his work in Nepal, Russia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. If that isn’t clear enough for you…
And I suggest you to change your attitude as I’m not the kind to suffer fools.

Look here... @ 10/15/2009 at 12:39 pm

@ amazing

no thanks. I like my attitude and myself just the way I am. It’s not worth it to try and get on your good side.

have a nice life.

To 54
As we can see from the comments above, you are not totally right about the way of becoming UNICEF gwa. Orlando asked for it. And about „nowadays some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing“, I am not that kind of people. If I can I help in many ways. But I am not waiting for anyone including celebs to tell me to help or to invite me to help. What kind of morons are you talking about? Are you talking about people who can help but they are not going to help until someone popular, beautiful, well known invite them to help? They can help but they will not until Orlando Bloom tells them??!!!!??? This is crazy and I think you can give some credit to normal, common people. Because I believe that everybody who can help is helping, and if someone can not or doesn’t want to help nobody is going to make him. Not you, not Orlando Bloom. So all that bla bla stories are for nothing. And btw it reminds me on the presidential campaigns all over the world- when celebs are suggesting people for whom to vote. The funniest situation ever. Because, their suggestion is for sure the main reason to make your choice.

So you are saying that you knew all about the problems that children face in remote Nepal? And that showing people what the actual conditions are in third world countries will NOT make them more aware of the day to day problems that others face just to survive? And that by putting a celeb’s face to get people’s attention won’t make a difference? Then you know NOTHING of the reality of charity and its various causes.
Charities have to fight for attention. The average person has only so much money or time that they can donate every year. The charites hope to strike a cord with the viewer, by placing a well liked celebrity at the forefront. Kind of like advertising for a product. Advertisers use celebs all of the time to grab your attention, this is no different. But the difference with UNICEF, is that they don’t use just any celeb who wants to hook their name to them, they only use celebs who not only walk the walk, but show serious dedication to their cause. Paris Hilton would love to have the publicty of having her name attached to the UN, but that’s not how they work. Do you think that they would give her the title if she asked? NO.
Orlando has proven his dedication to their work, and they have ‘rewarded’ him with the title of Ambassador. But that isn’t just a title, it’s a job. A job that he is willing to do. Orlando has already made a difference. THAT’S why he has been officially recognized.

Where did you get that he asked for it? The UN made clear that they named him an Ambassador to recognize his work, it’s pointless to contradict them. But even if he had asked to be named an Ambassador, more credit to him for actually asking to seal a commitment.
My comment about the price of everything and the value of nothing I’m talking about individuals that bow down to people who give money once and pat themselves on the back, but look down on people who dedicate not only their money but also their time and effort to help, and besides don’t boast about it.
And like #67 said, how is a common person supposed to help if they are unaware of the problems in the world to begin with?