Jennifer Lopez: 'El Cantante' Was Oscar-Worthy

Jennifer Lopez: 'El Cantante' Was Oscar-Worthy

Jennifer Lopez shares her feelings on love, marriage and her work in the February 2010 issue of Latina magazine.

Here’s what the 40-year-old entertainer had to share (via USA Today):

On her marriage to Marc Anthony: “There’s a deep respect, admiration and love for each other. We honestly believe that we make each other better people…We force each other to be better, and I think in a relationship, that’s how it should be. You shouldn’t be with somebody if he makes you feel less than who you are.”

On past work with exes: “Exposed? Vulnerable? Do I cringe? [Laughs] No, no, it’s a literal snapshot. Every one of my albums is very spot-on with who I was at the time. … I can’t regret the things I did in the past, like putting somebody in a video that I was with. Who cares? I think people relate to me because they know that I’m not being phony.”

On Oscar-worthy work: “I feel like I had that [Oscar worthy role] in El Cantante, but I don’t even think the academy members saw it. I feel like it’s their responsibility to do that, to see everything that’s out there, everything that could be great…..It’s all good. Things will happen when they’re supposed to happen. I have the utmost faith and no doubt that it will one day, when and if it’s supposed to. You can’t get all crazy twisted over it.”

Bigger cover pic inside…

jennifer lopez latina magazine february 2010 cover

• August Alsina has woken up from his three-day coma - TMZ
  • Justin Bieber has the new iPhone 6- Gossip Cop
  • Listen to Pia Mia's new song "Fill Me In"- Just Jared Jr
  • Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury did a duet together- Huffington Post
  • Watch a new trailer for A Most Violent Year- Lainey Gossip
  • David Ayer could be the director for Suicide Squad?- The Hollywood Reporter
  • Mayra Suarez shows off her amazing bikini body - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

she actually did do really good in el cantante, probably worthy of a nomination…but that movie wasn’t nearly popular enough for that. the academy members cant see everythingggg

Norma Stitz @ 01/06/2010 at 12:31 am

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………….ENOUGH!

I wanna see this film now!

uh, sorry jenny from the block, but i unfortunately saw a good 15 minutes of el cantante…not good. like the opposite of good. it was one of the most terrible 15 minutes of my life. i could keep going, but her performance was most definitely NOT oscar worthy…i think that’s a bit cocky for her to say, i mean i know she’s j.lo, but i can’t think of a single brilliant film she has put out since “out of sight.” oh yeah, because there aren’t any.

as a puerto rican, this broad is embarrassing.she made that film more a bout puchi than hector.she treated that film like a vehicle for herself instead properly telling the story of a puerto rican icon.lame ass.

oh woow……have yall guys seen TIger WOOds S3X TAPE….i saw it on http://www.drankbootysweat.net or http://www.bootyblog.net

it was one of those…

just say no @ 01/06/2010 at 12:57 am

She looks really pretty there but sorry, her performance was definitely not Oscar worthy.

Oscar worthy? Did she even see this crapfest? I watched the first 10 minutes and had to change the channel.

And on her not being phony? There is not thing on her that is not phony. Her face, personality..I could go on and on.

balkanmoon @ 01/06/2010 at 1:03 am

ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People who act to win Oscars miss the point entirely and probably aren’t very good actors.

Lowest denominator @ 01/06/2010 at 1:17 am

She was OK in that, but nothing more.

In her head it may have been “the one,” but the noms for Best Actress were Streep, Dench, Cruz, Winslet, and Mirren.

She would have ben swallowed whole by the competition.

Mickey….thank you. These actors who’s biggest goal is to win an oscar are so ridiculous and you’re right. They miss the point.

Wow, what an imbecile.
I mean what kinda actress says “oh that performance was oscar worthy but whatever I guess they didn’t see it.”
I hate her even more now…..
So cocky.
And by the way Jenny from the block, it wasn’t oscar worthy. It was cringe worthy.

Jello, sit DOWN.

I can’t decide whether she’s worse at acting or singing. But she’s bad. Period. And there’s nothing genuine about her. She’s Ms. PHONY, and no one can relate to her.

Annamaire @ 01/06/2010 at 2:53 am

what a lulz worthy article. SIT DOWN Jlo

bohemeballerine @ 01/06/2010 at 3:02 am

Ok I’ll admit the movie “El Cantante” was indeed good BUT (no pun intended) MARC ANTHONY was the one who really deserved an Oscar not Jennifer. He truly gave an Oscar-worthy performance as Hector Lavoe. He also did great in his small part in “Man on Fire” a few years back too. I can say that J-Lo is a decent actress but Marc Anthony has waaaaay more acting (and singing) chops than her.

bohemeballerine @ 01/06/2010 at 3:09 am

P.S.. – And she should have known immediately NOT to be in any more movies with a boyfriend/spouse. I mean duh…of course Academy voters weren’t thinking about seeing another J-Lo + her significant other movie.

It’s not that they didn’t see it. The Academy saw the movie and said, “sorry, but no thank you.”

She needs to stop trying to smooth her wrinkles by stretching her face every time a picture is taken. Look at her face in that picture (all pictures) she looks ridiculous.

# 5 I totally agree, this woman is narcissistic and delusional. She was so annoying in the film as she is in everything she does. This woman has absolutely no TALENT, she’s only good for shaking her ass when she dances. I’m so glad that she is no longer in the spotlight like she used to be and that her star is getting dimmer. She’s done and she knows it, she just keeps reaching trying to convince herself that she’s significant.

It’s always amazing to me how she blames other people for her crap. The movie going public didn’t give Gigli a chance, it was my manager demanding things not me, it was my dancers fault I fell. When is it ever the revelation maybe it’s just me, and people are over it.

Ooooh – bionic socks! What do they do?

Move over Meryl Streep – J-LO and her bad acting and singing considers herself Oscar-worthy!!

ahahahaha! oscar-worthy.