ABC Cancels 'Ugly Betty'

ABC Cancels 'Ugly Betty'

Ugly Betty will end after this season, ABC announced today.

“We’ve mutually come to the difficult decision to make this Ugly Betty‘s final season, and are announcing now as we want to allow the show ample time to write a satisfying conclusion,” ABC and the show’s producers wrote in a statement. “We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series, and felt it was important to give the fans a proper farewell.”

The ABC show will be cut from 22 episodes to 20 for its fourth and final season, according to EW‘s Michael Ausiello.

NOOOOOOOO!!!

10+ pictures inside of America Ferrera and Vanessa Williams filming Ugly Betty today in NYC…

ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 01
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 02
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 03
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 04
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 05
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 06
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 07
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 08
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 09
ugly betty canceled vanessa williams america ferrera filming 10

Credit: Mike Disciullo/Ant Griffith; Photos: Bauergriffinonline
Posted to: Ugly Betty

Jamie McCarthy/Getty

It’s entirely ABC’s fault. They moved it to Friday nights – TV’s graveyard and then switched it to wednesdays. It’s too bad but four years is a pretty solid run.

Lol, Jared, this was almost definite since 6+ months ago. Their ratings have been blowing.

i knew their ratings were sucking but….NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! lol

This sucks! I’ve watched it from the start and will watch it till the end too. They should bring Henry back for the finale..

Damn

Damn

Damn

*smashes punch bowl*

oh that sucks!!!!

DARN!!! This was one of the funniest and most original shows ever!!! That darn writer’s strike and then being switched to Friday did this show in. I say ABC should give it another chance!!! :(

Ugly is one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I am surprised it lasted so long.

I was hoping that the Wednesday move would allow them to give Ugly Betty time to regain its ratings, but ABC is cancelling them pretty soon after the move. I’m sorry to see Ugly Betty go, I thought it was a great show and season four has been really good.

I’m so sad :( :( :(
It’s one of my fave tv show…..

What the hell?? cancelled? this show is good! if the story is the same as betty la fea, then the end will not be the same! WHY DON’T YOU JUST CANCEL ALL THE SHOWS ABC???!! YOU SUCK!!

Yea, that show was stupid and the ugly America Ferrero (or whatever her name is) was stupid also. Glad it’s going to the trash can.

=/ noooooooo, the show, production, actors, colors are perfect =/ matt, henry….betty….daniel…maaarcc, amandaaa, justin….nooo =// terrible

This is such a bummer! I used to love this show and then got behind and never was able to catch up. But it was always so funny. I think they messed with original formula too much. Like always giving Betty a new boyfriend. That was not believable at all.

brangelooonies @ 01/27/2010 at 5:00 pm

This is so fcuked up. What a bunch of bullsh*t. What do u expect when u move a show to Friday nite? As*h*les. This is a really good show it should not be cancelled. They keep idiotic shows that suck sh*t like Melrose and axe UB. Bad decision.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s what you get for canceling eastwick abc!

I stopped watching after season one.

It jumped the shark way too early and became an embarrassing soapy mess.

Oh wow people still watch Ugly Betty?

ABC killed another hit show because they were greedy and couldnt leave it in its successful timeslot.
Note to self, do not to invest time in any new ABC shows

Finally they cancel a bad show, not a good one. So I for one am happy with this decision.
P.S.
R.I.P Conan :””’(

Such a good show, good cast and it was just funny. I will miss it but everyone is growing up and moving on on the show so it ending is not soo horrible given the development of the characters.

Awesome. This show sucked a fat one. I also met America Ferrara and she was a gigantic *****. Get over yourself. You’re a fat, ugly, girl who got a lucky break. What are they gonna cast you as now? A dishwasher?

Too bad. This show was very good & had real heart. Unlike a lot of the other crap on TV.

FINALLY…I’m mad this show is just getting the boot. They should’ve give Eastwick a chance to stay longer than THIS “blah” show.

Nooo I LOVE UGLY BETTY!!

I have to be honest, I never made it past the first series. It just never grabbed me. My friends loved it though so…meh. I guess it’s just run it’s course.
R.I.P Ugly.

I actually like it more now than I did in the earlier seasons.

I n F a m o u s l y C o o l @ 01/27/2010 at 7:08 pm

…good!

The show was great…it teaches lesson..so to the haters….get LOST!!

I saw it coming. To be honest, the last few seasons were very boring and they lost the magic they had during the first and second season. ABC tried very hard to improve the ratings; it just didn’t happened.

I am so sad!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the petition to bring this back?

It hasn’t been good since the 1st season.
It sucks for the cast. However, America Ferrera had it coming! Fame totally when to her head. Ridiculous.
I remember when she was doing press for Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2, and she was bitchy towards Blake because Gossip Girl was getting attention. GG is much more relevant in pop culture then Ugly Betty was and as far as I can tell Blake has always been humble about her success!

Never watched a single episode.

Nicole, SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE! I lol’ed. I hate when ****** “stars” have sticks up their butts.

loverducky @ 01/27/2010 at 8:02 pm

@Nicole:

what is your problem? I hope that made you feel really good about yourself, because you obviously don’t have a lot going for yourself

No!! I love that show. It’s one of the only ones I can’t miss each week (along with The Office and 30Rock). I really hope they end it right.
You know who I would love to see Betty with — Gio. He was the best for her.

josh bonilla @ 01/27/2010 at 8:19 pm

No LOST, no Ugly Betty, bye-bye ABC! You suck!

i never got the appeal of this show….maybe it’s just me but it seemed quite cliche

Oh well….I was a fan of season 1 (bought the dvd)….ever since
Rebecca Romain left…..the writing sux! I lost interest and even forgot
about the show.
Sux that everybody moved from Cali.
Cheers to laid off peeps!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fuxk ABC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

’bout time. the show became a mess after season one.

WTF NOOOOOO WHY!?!?!?! :’[

It was about time. This show was an insult to the original Betty La Fea Soap Opera.

brightside @ 01/27/2010 at 11:49 pm

It’s about time. After four years the show was becoming stale and struggling to find new material.

NOOOOOOOOOOO
i love this show!!! i know the story has been going nowhere recently but i still REALLY enjoy every single minute of it!!!

noooooooooooooooo

OMG! Why do they always cancel the shows that are so good and funny !!?? Ridiculous..

WTF?! I love this show! It’s hilarious!!! It’s award winning!!!

NOOOO! Ugly Betty is my favourite show! Please ABC don’t cancel it!!

For those who DON’T WANT the show to end – LET THE NETWORK KNOW! I had to make myself remember when they switched to Fridays (missed it a few times before I got it) & then they switched it to – what? – Wednesdays?!
Now it’s canceled? FLOOD the network with emails letting them know YOUR opinions; seriously, how else are they going to know? Perhaps if fans had done this BEFORE the actually Friday switch had been done, it would still be getting high ratings… If I remember correctly, the network made their intentions known several weeks (few months) BEFORE they actually did anything, right?
Anyway, if all else fails & it does end – Let’s face it: Daniel & Betty NEED to be TOGETHER!
By the way, could someone PLEASE tell what happened to Ralph Macchio? There, you got me, I stopped watching before his departure, & now he’s been replaced…

noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
it’s the best show EVER !!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Well if it has to end bring Henry back atleast!

omg
this couldnt be happening
it was one of my favorite shows ever..and now it’s gonna end..
it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!and Nicole i don’t know what the f*** you are but i think america ferrera is way better than you b**** as*****

NO!! They should cancel Heroes or something else.. but not Ugly Betty! It’s always fun with Marc and Amanda

This show introduced me to VAL EMMICH aka Jesse, Betty’s neighbor who she crushed hard.

Jesse as in VAL EMMICH is a musician in real life. Check out his show next month at Maxwells in Hoboken NJ on the 27th! He is cute in person as he is on screen. And go say hi. He’s super friendly.

Finally. This was horrible since s01e01.

first Conan O’brien and now this ???
i really like this show .

Claudia S. @ 01/28/2010 at 12:03 pm

I knew as soon as they moved the show to Fridays it was the kiss of death. Oh well bye bye Betty. You were beginning to get on my nerves anyway. I’ll miss Mark!

Nooooooooooooo, I love this chica! Bring bag Ugly Betty!! Start petition!!!

:( This sucks so bad !

those ABC ********.

newport beach, 92660 @ 01/28/2010 at 5:49 pm

NOOOOOO,
even though i stopped watching it haha,
i still LOVED IT ?!??!?!?

noooooooooooooooooooooo

what a shame this was a good show and
@Nicole just because America Ferrara isn’t size 0 doesn’t mean she’s fat

Since the beginning of the season, Friday Nights, UG has been getting dreadful ratings. Even with its move on Thursday, it loses 40% of its lead in from Cougar Town. About 4 million viewers each night. Even Jay Leno reruns beat new Betty episodes. So it is about time.

So if you guys complain about loving this show and hatin’ ABC, it’s your fault for not watching. :)

I love Ugly Betty! I’ve seen every episode several times. I’m sad to see it go. I think a lot shows suffer from not knowing how long they will be on the air. In Latin American telenovelas, they last 5 or 6 months. That means there is a beginning, middle, and end. In American TV, we seem to deal with uncertainty, then suddenly ABC pulls crap like this. We get news of a cancelation and the writers have to scramble to wrap it all up. Good-bye TV, I’m finished with you after Ugly Betty ends its season.

Not fair! this show is amazing! I didn’t see this coming at all!

Prolly replace it with another reality show which we can’t get enough of ——– NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Reality shows are so much cheaper and the tackier they are, the more money they make.

Great!! Now I get to boycott ABC as well as NBC! There is nothing to watch anymore! I’m in the mood to punch somone out…someone from the networks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

good, ive always hated this show
it sucks so bad
i dont even no why ppl liked it that much, the spanish version was better and funnier, english version was pure crap

Can you give Betty a second chance, please? I love the show so much that don’t want to see it ending…

I think this decision shows surprising and commendable forethought from a television network.

Canceling a show that’s no longer bringing in top ratings, but also not bottom ratings, isn’t the easiest decision to make, as there is always that possibility of milking it for _all_ its worth, right down to the last drop, rather than just most its worth. Let’s face it, though, Ugly Betty has never appealed to a particularly wide audience, and its future prospects were slim. Big fans of the show probably would’ve continued watching no matter what, but with the declining quality of the writing/story UB would’ve been unlikely to gain additional viewers. There really isn’t much else they could do with the characters, except to finally beautify Betty (which we all know is gonna happen).

At least the ABC had the courage to call it quits while they were winning rather than keep spanking a limping horse, the way Fox does with House, which really should’ve ended at Season 3-4 at the very latest.

gofuthabc @ 02/18/2010 at 8:14 pm

OH I GET IT! ABC DECIDED TO DROP THE ONLY TRULY FUNNY SHOW THAT THEY HAD. SO THE NEW DEFINITION OF FUNNY IS, BORING COMEDY SHOWS THAT SHOW MOMMY AND DADDY HAVING SEX AND TEASING THEIR CHILDREN. SENSIBLE COMEDY HAS BEEN SHALL WE SAY, LOST. CLEAN CUT SHOWS ABOUT ENTERPRENUREALSHIP RELATIONSHIPS IS NOT EDUCATIONAL, SEXUALLY.

Our becoming pregnant plan is simple, safe and is an organic and natural way of getting pregnant that is definitely extremely easy to follow! 2 month guarantee to get pregnant fast naturally. No harmful costly fertility drugs or supplements necessary.