Wes Bentley Rebuilds Career After Drug Abuse

Wes Bentley Rebuilds Career After Drug Abuse

Wes Bentley skyrocketed to fame 11 years ago after his performance as the stoner-voyeur Ricky Fitts in American Beauty. Here are some tidbits from the New York Times article about the 31-year-old actor:

Wes turned to drugs and alcohol to cope with the stardom that he was unprepared for, and then addiction took over his life for several years… His recreational use of marijuana and alcohol, which began as a teenager, exploded into cocaine and Ecstasy and other pills. Eventually heroin had him completely.

– In 2001 he married Jennifer Quanz, an aspiring actress. They are in the process of divorcing.

Wes currently stars in the Off Broadway play, Venus in Fur, through March 5. Pick up tickets at ClassicStage.org!

Read the entire piece on Wes at NYTimes.com. Also be sure to check out Wes in a Bonnie & Clyde-themed photo shoot at HarpersBazaar.com!

those eyes scare me

whodunit? @ 02/10/2010 at 1:31 pm

I wondered what happened to him.

Yea, he always looked like he was on something.
I’m glad that he got the guts to expose it.
It’s a serious issue that a TON of ppl, probably even your own relatives and loved ones that you dont know about, go thru.
I mean everyone I know did one thing or another from their pre-teens. Some come out of it normally and move on… others dont.
People just dont realize how hard it is these substances are addictive.
If you’re addicted to TV, food, sex, caffeine, computers, p0rn, even work, etc etc… it’s no diff from other substance addictions.
There are way too many functioning alcoholics/ drug addicts.
I mean I know people with these high IQs that do it all the time and they have the potential to become scientists, billionaires, etc… and they just throw it all away to be “happy” or what they think is happiness.
And I fully blame parents for this.
Not their friends.
Parents are totally at fault for this, even if the addictions begin in adulthood.
Parents who defend themselves… you’re cowards.
They come up w/ one excuse after excuse after excuse and say that they were good parents.
Goodness has nothing to do with it.
And it has alot to do with the environment.

He played a drug addict in that movie too

I n F a m o u s l y C o o l @ 02/10/2010 at 4:42 pm

…ahahahahahahahaha.. i seen him in p2 earlier this morning.

CanadaGirl @ 02/10/2010 at 5:06 pm

I wondered what happened to him too. He seemed to be on the cusp pf great things then he disappeared… sadly, as so many actors do…
@Bored – Lord, what are you on about? Make a small comment and move on. Nobody wants to read your verbal diatribes in BOLD which sound more like a mini-biography.

He turned to drugs to deal with stardom? BS. He had one hit movie and it’s not like he turned into what Leo Dicaprio did after Titanic. He wasn’t a household name.

No, I think he got a little taste of fame and cash and partied like most of the celebutards do. Wah wah, cry me a river and get over yourself.

Least he’s off the drugs.

the_boyfriend @ 02/10/2010 at 6:18 pm

i love his look, his eyes!

hope to see him on screen again, soon.

Oh. I was wondering what happened to him. Hope he’s fully recovered now.

longchamp @ 02/10/2010 at 9:20 pm

i LOVE the intensity in his eyes, and always wondered where he was off to after american beauty…. hope to be in NYC while he’s in the play. wes, do remember dali: i AM drugs.

Wow I had no idea. Well best of luck to him :)

samanthafromitaly @ 02/11/2010 at 1:53 am

wow,
I read about him sometimes ago, but the explanation of his absence on that article was that he didn’t enjoy the stardom status, and after American Beauty and Four feathers he decided to retire himself from that world, ’cause he basically was a good guy who didn’t want to live the hyper life of Hollywood. They said that Heath was one of his few Hollywood friends who stayed in touch with him after he left the industry.

Well, now how I don’t know how accurate that article was anymore.

Wishing the best on Wes, I loved him.

He was my favorite character in American Beauty. always wondered what happened to him. Hope he gets film work now.

He’s hot and he’s allowed — :-) My Big Break is a documentary about him and it shows how crazy his life was like. This is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8htf4FDt7E I’m glad he’s ok.

What’s wrong with people today? Are they going nuts? So many people are continuing to destroy their lives with drugs and alcohol. I mean, isn’t it cheaper to see a shrink than to self destruct?

i can believe it! i just fell in love with him in american beauty!! i was so excited cuz i saw him again in ghost rider and p2 but its so sad to know that he was dealing with drugs and alcohol abuse… its just stupid!!! if something is bad for you… why you do it?!! sorry all the stardom stuff sounded like excuses to me u.u

A little late on the comment bandwagon here but … l actually think his eyes are one of his best assets/ trademark especially by the intensity of his eyes in the photo above. Total hottie and sort of an underdog in Hollywood which makes him even hotter and more desirable. Can you sense that I like him :)