Marie Osmond's Son Commits Suicide in L.A.

Marie Osmond's Son Commits Suicide in L.A.

Marie Osmond‘s 18-year-old son Michael Blosil leapt to his death Friday night (February 26) from his downtown Los Angeles apartment building.

ET reports he left a suicide note referring to a lifelong battle with depression.

“My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time,” Marie said through her publicist Saturday.

Marie‘s brother Donny Osmond added, “Please pray for my sister and her family.”

Marie and Michael‘s father, Brian Blosil, pulled the plug on their 21-year marriage in March 2007. The couple had two biological children together and adopted five others, including Michael.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Osmond family and friends.

Photos: Peter Kramer/Getty
Posted to: Marie Osmond

• A Panthers NFL player has been deactivated for domestic abuse - TMZ
  • Charles Barkley is defending Adrian Peterson - Gossip Cop
  • Nolan Gould is all grown up on Modern Family - Just Jared Jr
  • Martha Stewart is slamming Gwyneth Paltrow - Huffington Post
  • What do you think of Emma Stone's LBD? - Lainey Gossip
  • An Amy Winehouse statue was erected in London - The Hollywood Reporter
  • Alessandra Ambrosio's legs are so long - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All
CanadaGirl @ 02/27/2010 at 5:14 pm

Poor Marie. My condolences to her and her family.

I’m sorry to hear this tragic news for the Osmond family. I wish we address depression more in society and stop trying to sweep it under the carpet or looking at it like it’s a weakness. More lives maybe saved if we got people help.

How sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I just don’t understand how something like this happens. It seems their loved ones, especially their parents, would KNOW if something is wrong and would try their best to make sure the person gets well. Anyone who is about to commit suicide gives out some kind of warning. It doesn’t just happen out of the blue. His family was not paying close enough attention to him. But I feel very sad for that family. It’s really tragic to lose a child at such a young age, especially one that took his own life.

FuglyGarner @ 02/27/2010 at 5:30 pm

just another thing for them to exploit by having donny go on Entertainment Tonight every night for the next month to talk about it.

@Celia: Celia, maybe if his mother wasn’t so concerned being a celebrity she would have taken better care of her son then maybe he wouldn’t have off’d himself.

#5 and #6 – You are awful. Suicide is a tragic and heartbreaking thing for any family to go through. Unless you’ve been in that situation (as I have), you need to shut up!

Rest in peace, Michael.. Condolences to Marie and the family.

wut has the world come to

My condolences to the Osmond Family. I wish them the best in this tough time.

It’s so easy to be an ignorant S.O.B when your behind a screen, isn’t it posters 5 & 6.

I am so sorry for their loss. Depression is such a hard thing to manage. My thoughts will be with them, always.

Depression and Anxiety are very serious conditions and should be looked after very carefully. I suffer everyday for these conditions.
Thoughts and Prayers to Family and Friends Of Michael

@Celia and Bob

Often people who are depressed act normally and many are surprised when they do commit suicide. Parents and siblings and others who are close can miss the signs simply because the person has cried “wolf” before or pretends to be well so that the parent or sibling will leave them alone.
Unlike a mental illness, you can’t keep everyone who suffers from depression institutionalized. You can’t force them to live at home or with a caregiver because they are functioning and often high functioning individuals who are able to do everything a non-depressed person can do.
Before you both make additional ignorant comments, perhaps you should do some research on the matter instead of spouting off about someone that you don’t know and don’t know the person’s situation. For all you know his girlfriend broke up with him or he lost his job or something–these stressors are enough to send someone inclined towards depression into a downward spiral.

RIP Michael. So sad to hear this, Depression is such a horrible condition to deal with, it’s just very tough, but like someone said, society ignores this while people keep on dying.

Depression can sometimes have NO outward, clear symptoms. Make sure you and your children/friends/family members see a mental health physician (a psych doctor) as part of a routine annual check up.

It’s a matter of life and death for some.

I don’t think Hollywood is a great place to raise children, esp., if your child is suffering from depression. Celebrities that have made it in Hollywood have a choice to move out and move back when their kids grow up. I just think in a place like that, things like depression are heightened.

Lillianne @ 02/27/2010 at 6:32 pm

oh god she’s going to go on tv an talk about this

This site has many links if you or your loved one is dealing with thoughts of suicide or need help with depression/PTSD.

My sympathy to the Osmond/Blosil families on the loss of their Michael. May you find serenity some day, able to remember the good memories once again. God Bless you all.

Ms Anonymous @ 02/27/2010 at 6:51 pm

Infamously Cool, don’t even THINK about it.

oh my god! i’m so sorry to hear this. first andrew koenig, now Michael Blosil. my deepest sympathy to marie and her family.

Oh, my goodness, life sure can be unkind. Dear Marie, hold on, we love you and are praying for you and your family.

RIP, Michael

@dani:

My comment was not ignorant. I’ve taken a few psychology classes and I’m also minoring in Human development. There are ALWAYS signs. His family was probably too busy to notice, but I’m sure they knew something. He was checked into a rehab facility for undisclosed reasons. They knew something was wrong. I just don’t think he was given enough attention as is evident by his suicide note. This is the 3RD suicide that’s been reported by the press in the last few weeks: Alexander McQueen, Andrew Koening, and now this. There are always signs! They should have been paying more attention to him. Someone should have.

well..... @ 02/27/2010 at 7:51 pm

ok so now we can rate comments and get them removed and we can ead 29 out of 30, deleted posts

genius Jared

you ******

@Celia: I agree with Dani–you are an ignorant Twat!! Taking a few classes does NOT give you ANY personal insight into Depression and it def does NOT give you the right to act like you know it all–when you do NOT!! I’m sure Marie looked after him and got him help,but sometimes the pain does not go away and it it VERY easy to hide extreme pain from loved ones.
So,come back when you or a loved one has actually had depression and give us your expertise then.

Celia—-do you have any idea how hurtful your comments are? You are saying no suicide just happen out of the blue BULLSHI T>It happens all the time and it’s the family that are left behind hurt & angry.They try to work out in there minds-what did i miss/why didn’t he talk to me/someone.And then it’s the fam that has to seek help.
for you to add insult by saying i’ve done a FEW classes is horribly cruel and ignorant. Get back to those books,maybe ask your professor the stats of suicides that do leave notes or those who shock their families. You must be a sheltered person to have made these statements. I was ready for the idiots saying MO&DOwould go
on TV.
Also WTF do McQueen & Koenig have to do with this? nothing

Geraldine Hegarty @ 02/27/2010 at 8:44 pm

My deepest sympathy to Marie and all the family – such a terrible tragedy for them all to bear – our thoughts and prayers are with you at this very difficult time
Michael Rest in Peace