Zoe Saldana Covers 'Essence' Magazine April 2010

Zoe Saldana Covers 'Essence' Magazine April 2010

Zoe Saldana is all smiles on the April 2010 cover of Essence magazine.

Here’s what the 31-year-old actress had to share with the mag:

On sex: “Love it, love it, love it-can’t live without it! I love sex. I love skin. I don’t believe the body is something to hide. I think in American society we’re messing up our kids by taking away the education on and awareness of our sexuality and replacing it with violence, guns and video games-and we’re breeding little criminals.”

On love: “I’m more of a punch-drunk-love kind of girl. I mean punch as in that pow, that jolt, that kick in the gut. I like things that are severe, passionate and extreme.”

For more from Zoe, check out Essence.com!

Bigger cover pic inside…

zoe saldana essence magazine april 2010 01
zoe saldana essence magazine april 2010 02

• Snooki steps out after giving birth to her second baby- US Weekly
  • Taylor Swift is getting sued by a chauffeur service- TMZ
  • Netflix has added some new films to their collection- Entertainment Weekly
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Bryana Holly knows how to heat up the desert- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] Show All

@Jen actually when a country is as racially mixed as the Dominican even American for that matter you really do not know what your true racial make up is without genetic testing.

Eva Longoria thought she was predominantly Mexican/Indian but after genetic testing she was genetically more Europen and Asian than acutal Mexican. It blew her mind!

She had 70% European, 27% Asian/indigenous, and 3% African.

bohemeballerine @ 03/12/2010 at 1:13 am

She is absolutely gorgeous…and very talented too

Excuse me Ruby Tuesday ,

but I find your mention of Michael very offensive. He had a skin disease called Vitiligo. It causes the loss of pigmentation in the skin. I’ve known people with this disease. He did NOT cosmetically bleach his skin. As far as I know,it is not even possible to do so to that extent. If you observe him over the years, he got lighter and lighter. Eventually his skin was almost paper white and he had sensitivity to the sunlight. It is very hurtful and wrong to make it seem as though he were ashamed of his skin color. I am only speaking up,because I’ve heard many comments about Michael and I feel badly for him and for the many many people who suffer with vitiligo who have to hear jokes and undoubtedly face the same ridicule. I’m not trying to disrespect you, I just think we ALL need to be more aware of what we say. Just my two cents. Peace everyone.

@Ruby Tuesday:

All due respect, I don’t think it was necessary to throw MJ in the mix. The extent of his surgery clearly showed it went past the point of vanity and into some kind of deep rooted mental issue. He was a good person. There’s no need to judge him and take jabs at him. You should walk a mile in a person’s shoes before you make certain statements.

The Dominican Republic is a slave country just like Puerto Rico. The Puerto Ricans were slaves of the Spanish from 1508 until 1870 they are not Latino or Spanish they are only the slaves of the Spanish. They have the surnames of the Spanish slavemasters that’s all. Latinos and the Spanish are White Europeans they will never be Latin. The ones born in America not Latin America are descendants of slaves. Their culture is not the same as the culture of other Latin American countries and certainly not the culture of the Mexicans who were never slaves. Puerto Ricans the longest slaves in the Americas are not on par with the people of Latin America or Mexico since they were never slaves. So no one considers Puerto Ricans Latino in any way.

Joe Lopez @ 03/12/2010 at 9:06 am

The Taino Indians were all murdered off as soon as the European Spaniards arrived there. This woman has zero Spanish European ancestry most of them claim they do because they only want to be considered Spanish the people who enslaved them. The Spanish did not enslave the Spanish only people like this.

Rafael Nadal @ 03/12/2010 at 9:11 am

Rio Favelas, happy girl & Joe you are all American Puerto Rican same person. You are not a Spainard and you must accept that you were only our slaves. Although we are happy that you still love us after we sold you like animals. branded your foreheads like catlle and kept you as our human property for over 350 years. Just accept your fate of being our slaves and stop telling the world that you are Latin when you are not even in a Latin country. We did not make Latin America slaves ..only the lowly Puerto Ricans so grow up and be proud of yourselves.

Rafael Nadal: Btw, I posted only under my name, fyi. Wow! This is funny given I am not Latin American. And if I was, being anyone’s slave would infinitely more noble than being as ignorant as your post above. What is your point? So you are saying people who branded other human beings and sold them like cattle are good people and the actual people sold like cattle are less than them???? So the Nazis were better than the Jews they burned in ovens? Is this the theory? Wow, this is deep and I am glad I am not Latin American and not engaged in this really weird ethnic war. If you want to believe some people are Latin American and some are not or whatever you believe, go right ahead. That’s great. Who cares? Is there a million dollar reward at the end of the rainbow for you? What is your reward? Clearly being Spaniard or whatever you are is really really really important to you. Bravo! Yay! Go Spaniard! And congrats on applauding the branding and selling of human beings. That says everything we need to know about your mentality. Bravo! You are a class act and definitely worthy of your noble Spaniard title. Nice.

Worked with her on DRUMLINE; a lovely girl then has grown into an amazing woman now.

to joe lopez @ 03/12/2010 at 7:54 pm

you have your facts wrong about the Spanish ,1 people in mexico were enslaved by the spanish., and a large number of the native people of mexico were killed off by the spanish. many spanish land owners fathered
children by slave women in mexico and in other countries as well. including Puerto Rico. and other islands in the Caribbean
The Spanish conquistadors killed many native people thru out north, central and south America, they also brought with them many African slaves that is true, but what is also true many Africans that came with the Spanish were not slaves.
They were settlers of the new world also the moors who were black conquered a lot of Spain and enslaved the Spanish.
We Anglo here in America find you people pathetic and desperate to try and claim yourselves as white. When a lot of (most) have black blood in you, thanks to the moors. That is something that did not happen in England , France and Germany. You are not consider white for the simple reason the moors conquered you. It must kill you to come America and be consider non white.

Maria Saldaña @ 03/12/2010 at 8:26 pm

I am shocked and appalled at this treatment of a talented and beautiful black woman who is successful beyond measure in an industry that does everything to objectify women of color as ignorant, sex-crazed or flat out buffoonish. Zoe Saldaña is the female lead in the most financially successful movie in the history of cinema. She is a woman of color. She is a first generation American and the pride and joy of undoubtedly proud Dominican parents. She is a classically trained ballet dancer and a seamless hybrid of two very distinctive cultures. And it goes without saying that she is a physically beautiful and very poised woman. I say these things because based on that article teaser and Essence’s past treatment of Dominican women, it seems unlikely that you will learn these things about Zoe from reading their magazine.

I am a Dominican woman who although unrelated, happens to have the same last name as Zoe. I don’t know how Zoe feels about the way her interview is being promoted, but personally, I find that although I am a professional in the Arts Admin field, my heritage and what people assume about me because of it, is an unfortunate hurdle that I often have to work against. For years, the stereotype that Dominican women are sexually crazed and easy to the point of often being prostitutes has been whispered around the African-American community like we are some kind of dream unicorns for black men. What were once whispers became loud, angry black-on-black hating diatribes with Essence’s ‘intrepid’ reporting of Santo Domingo being “The New Brazil”. I mean no disrespect to Brazil, because the bigger picture here is that if the tenants of the article hold true, then we are sexually exploiting ourselves (and often our own children) taking comfort in our language differences to feel better about it. Because if you didn’t learn it in your history class, you should know we all got here on the same bus, but we speak different languages because our family members had different bus stops.

Not to ignore the fact that in truth there are beautiful women around the world who live very impoverished lives and who due to lack of women’s right, opportunity and education feel that their bodies are their only commodities. The DR is just one of many such places where women of color have to make this unfortunate bargain with the devil. A devil who more often than not comes from the U.S. I know this because as a kid, I watched my very own oldest sister make this heart wrenching bargain with the devil to enter the life of prostitution for American men in order to sustain herself and her family. I know first hand how limited her choices were and can only imagine the despair she must have felt to think this was her only choice. I also know just how fortunate I am to have had the education, opportunities and protected rights to live a life that enables me to empower young women to live rich and full lives that cannot be whittled away by how someone else chooses to defines them. I am certain that the quotes stated above by Zoe are factual. But I have also seen and read other interviews by this actress. So I know this is not ALL she talked about. That Essence, a woman’s magazine, would feature a woman of color who is this successful in Hollywood as nothing more than a delivery version of the “New Brazil”, is beyond discouraging to me as a Dominican, but most importantly as a woman of color regardless of the languages I speak.

When first I read the “New Brazil”, I was initially incensed with Essence for turning the ‘Dominican women are easy’ whisper into a reverberating shout. In the time since, I’ve come to realize that the problem is not so much what one writer with a pressing deadline chose to write, but how easy it is for us as women of color to dehumanize each other on the basis that we speak a different language. I was shocked that when I visited an Essence chat room where this article was being discussed by what seemed to be other black women and learned that these relatively-speaking affluent black women were angrily fixated on the reasons black men stated for favoring Dominican women (docility, hair, skin color, cooking skills, etc.) and not on the atrocity that this practice is as common place as it is. Let’s you forget ladies; the same arrogant, stingy, emotionally unavailable and potentially abusive man you went on a date with is the same arrogant, cheap man when he lands in my beloved country. Only difference being that as a relatively-speaking rich American, he now has an opportunity to be more arrogant, less emotionally available, more stingy and potentially more abusive towards a woman or a young girl who is even less likely to stand up for herself due to her circumstances. In short, he’s no catch so let’s forget about him and focus on how we can build each other up. If Essence, were truly a black women’s magazine, it would lead the way in unifying us based on interests and not divide with by our vanity.

Maria Saldana: I do not read Essence and maybe I should. As a White woman, I think it is sad that we do not think we have something in common with a black woman’s magazine. For that reason alone, I will begin to read it. But I wanted to say that I don’t think the women who read Essence or the ones who publish it should bear the blame of creating this hierarchy that pits women against women. This was a male created hierarchy. Basically men set up a hierarchy with blonde/blue eyed women on top and then they go down the line and place various different kinds of women in that order. And women are then left to fight for the crumbs and fight to be on top of that male list. Essence is a minute contributor to this century old male tactic. I think subconsciously men are paranoid about maintaining their bloodline so they conquer lands to keep their blood line intact and active. And when they do this, they spread the idea that their bloodline is the most productive one – that way they will never die. They will continue forever. Then women buy into this and desperately try to attain the ideals that men have set up. So women are not the cause of this. Another note, Dominican women are still a pretty new group in America. So I don’t think they are on the radar as much as you may suggest to the point where we have longheld stereotypes about them. I know of the groups simply because I lived in New York City and born in Connecticut. But on the West Coast, for example, Mexican women are the majority here. Also my sense is that black women and women of color are used to different skin tones and colors. For example, Vanessa Williams is black and yet lighter than Zoe. Most black people would be used to this in their families and thus more accepting of people of different tones. My girlfriend is blonde and green eyed and she has people in her family who are dark or brown, etc. They don’t give it much thought. They are used to it. Whereas I look at my own family, my mom is 1/4 Swedish but has brown eyes and brown hair and more olive skin then the fairer rest of her family – and they subconsciously find my mom very different. Why? Because they are not used to seeing non-light people in the family. So Zoe Saldana would probably be quickly accepted in a black family whereas in a white family, it may take some adjusting. Anyway, I think it is important for women to understand we did not create the hierarchy that keeps us fighting each other for men’s approval. Men created it. And sadder than that, is that if this was a post about Scarlett Johanssen, we would be talking about her but a Zoe post, we are talking about race. Sad. And we are all guilty of it I guess. It does not escape me though that if Zoe was ugly, a crackhead and a trashy woman, no one would be trying to claim her. I suppose everyone wants to claim beauty as their own. Again, men set this up, imo, and women gladly follow. Time to change.

Maria Saldaña @ 03/13/2010 at 6:18 pm

@Happy Girl I started to respond to your comments to correct the many errors in it. Then you said: “Dominican women are still a pretty new group in America. So I don’t think they are on the radar as much as you may suggest to the point where we have longheld stereotypes about them.” And I knew everything I needed to know. Either you think its ok to stereotype people so long as there are not that many of them in the U.S.; you don’t understand that Dominicans don’t have to live in the United States to be objectified, stereotyped and exploited by Americans; or you simply unaware of history and census information. Whatever the case may be, ignorance truly is bliss and I am no one to deny someone their happiness.

Maria Saldana: If you want to deduct ignorance in my comment then feel free. I cannot do anything about that. And if I hurt your feelings, I apologize too. Dominicans are a pretty new group to the United States. And the majority are concentrated in New York City. So the majority of America may not come across many Dominicans and may not decide to objectify them as they are not aware of them culturally in an intimate way that would warrant stereotyping them as much as groups who have been in the US longer. I mentioned Mexican women here in California because there is a huge population. Every middle class person has a Mexican Nanny, etc. So you hear people out here talk about Mexican women in a derogatory way often. Actually, I know many Californians who have never met a Caribbean Spanish speaking person as most of the people they come across are Mexican, Central American, etc. Ignorance is bothersome, I agree with you. More bothersome are people who post under different names and with different points of views to incite reaction from various posters. They basically put different points of views out there to start a confrontational dialogue. They sort of post and then answer or contradict themselves, pretending they are a completely different person and in their head they think no one has picked up on it. Ignorance is bad but that kind of psychotic online behavior is almost as problematic. But funny too. Very funny. Anyway, sorry if I hurt your feelings Rio…sorry I mean Rafael..sorry I meant Maria Saldana. Best to you.

@Janeth:

Why would she be on the cover of essence magazine if she wasn’t black Google her she stats she is a Proud Black woman

@hair?:

Yeah Believe it or not some black women have long hair, I’m sure you wouldn’t question some white actresses on if their hair is real

Love Zoe, She’s Black and Latina. Yes people you can be both.

I was really disappointed when she announced that she’s doing Dominion, a friend of mine, Yuri Brown, is a hard working up and coming actress and she is the star of a new tv show that’s coming out this fall, Cursed…I think Zoe may have just ripped this story off from Yuri because they travel in a lot of the same people. Yuri plays a half angel half human in her new show Cursed… you can see it here – http://www.angelontherise.blogspot.com... you’ll see the resemblance and why it is so obvious that she ripped this girl off…

She’s very pretty and talented. Not sure that’s the best picture of her but she still looks great!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] Show All