Kate Winslet Splits with Sam Mendes

Kate Winslet Splits with Sam Mendes

Kate Winslet and her husband of nearly seven years, director Sam Mendes, have split.

Kate and Sam are saddened to announce that they separated earlier this year,” their lawyers said in a statement (via People). “The split is entirely amicable and is by mutual agreement. Both parties are fully committed to the future joint parenting of their children.”

The couple married in 2003 and have a six-year-old son, Joe, together. Kate also has a nine-year-old daughter, Mia, from a previous marriage.

Christopher Polk/Getty

Wow.
This came out of nowhere.

She should hook up with Leo.

That is horrible, specially when kids are involved, but at least both have enough class to do it in a civil manner, which is great.

Awww. That’s too bad.

i hate it when couples who’ve been together for so many years decide to split. it’s like, you’ve made it this far and you decide to split now? such a shame.

wow that’s unexpected!

ew that dude in the picture is so ugly. and anyways that is so sad.

Woow that is so sad !

omg what. leo/kate otp.

Never liked her, she is PROBABLY thinking she can do better with her OSCAR, BUT honey ain’t nobody wants u.

Maybe the rags should widen their scope.. the keep waiting for other celeb coupe to break up.. and have missed at least a dozen other splite.. hmmm

the separated over a year ago.. so what about them at the Oscars..

That did come out of nowhere. I’d be lying if I said the Leo/Kate thing never crossed my mind—especially when Kate was winning all of those awards last year and thanked Leo more heartily than she did Sam.

This is shocking and so sad. I was hoping their marriage is one of those Golden Hollywood marriages.

that’s sad…but then again, maybe her and leo will finally get together? It’s like a twisted love story. Like kate and leo were meant to be together but he was with gisele and she was married. Now that gisele is married with her child, he’s been seen with bar…who’s pretty young. He hasn’t shown the desire to get married nor to anyone in particular. And unfortunately, kate split fr. her husband….maybe he’ll be the best friend he is and be there for her and her kids.

I’ve never followed news about this couple very closely, but I I thought this marriage was solid. Sorry to hear about this split.

Wow !
I’m in shock ! They seemed so happy together !

“so unexpected”–thats because they aren’t in the tabloids everyday screaming SPLIT. None of us know what really goes on in anyones relationship other than our own.

Too bad that their marriage didnt last. Maybe they learned something from the flim they did together. Good luck to them both.

@lisa:

what r u saying??

Well, didn’t see this one coming. Feel bad for the kids!

She’s kind and has money. She’ll find another one.

I always thought Kate’s real love was Leo, she never got over her crush for him and that probably kept her from loving her husbands completely. Maybe they will have their chance but I also think Leo feels more brotherly love for her, not that kind of attraction, her thing is probably one sided. Anyway I guess we will see.

Watch how elegantly she will behave – unlike Jennifer Aniston who used her divorce to promote her movies.

I wasn’t expecting this. I feel bad for the kids. @ Chel, I did notice her thanks to Leo seemed more emotional than her thanks to her husband too.

rachel_la @ 03/15/2010 at 2:47 pm

Curse of the oscar-winning actress. Win an oscar, lose your husband…

WOW, that’s a surprise! They seemed so happy… I remember how in love they looked at the Academy Awards when she won best actress.

@England: Leo doesnt feel enough love for her!

Totally did not see that coming!

@rachel_la:

That so true same thing happened to Halle Berry

Sam Mendes was born and raised in England and both his parents are Ashkenazim Jewish but what does that matter. I doubt if Leo is interested in her when he has a beautiful model girlfriend already.

To me it is aways at 7 years. I hear that 7 years is a tough time for couples but to me unless he/she is abusive in some form then it seems most couples just give up, rather than trying to find that happiness again that brought them together in the first place. Seven you go through growing pains and it is the time to search deeper not give up.

Yet, it is HW so on to the next marriage.

No! Why? I loved these two.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo this makes me really sad, I was wondering why he wasnt accompanying her to the Oscars this year

WhOa didn’t see this one coming…pretty sad, considering the movies, kids, and years they’ve been together. I wish them the best! Hopefully Leo DiCaprio doesn’t hop on the single mom train, then again, he only dates models LOL.

Wow, so many people here think they know how Leo feels about her. He is dating an airhead but hopefully he`ll dump her quick and go after a quality woman ( = Kate ). That would be a huge update for him!

What happened between these too??? Too bad she looks so sexy

So are they separated or are they getting a divorce?
Maybe they just need to take a break? Either way it’s very sad. I was not expecting this. They’ve been together forever.

@erock: and Hillary Swank and Reese. So every week the british tabloids put Brad and Angie Split/ Breakup/on covers when right under their noses the oscar winning British actress splits and the tabs have no clue

And Charlize..lately

rock_chick_chic @ 03/15/2010 at 3:15 pm

this is sad, especially since they both seemed very happy together. they are both extremely talented.

one thing that bugs me how can a break up be “mutual” surely one of them wanted to split so the other just had to agree.

LA MALDICION DEL OSCAR!!

rachel_la @ 03/15/2010 at 3:25 pm

@erock: hope it doesn’t happen to sandra bullock and her husband!

Please guys, stop your pathetic overeaction about Kate and Leo. They are not meant to be together at all. From the very beginning they’ve considered each other like brother and sister. Period. They are very good friends. Period.

Besided, Leo seems to be very, very happy with Bar.

omg! I never saw this coming! They seemed to have a very stable relationship. Wow, Sam is going through all the amazing women in Hollywood: Rachel Weisz, Julianne Moore, Kate Winslet… who’s next?

@lisa:

they seperated this year not last year.

I think working on such an intense movie together, specially with leo as her co-star probably didn’t help things.

wow!!!
okay this is the stats for the oscar curse
out of ten women that have won the best actress oscar in this decade only three are still with thier mates.

70% of women that won thier oscar in this decade have split with thier mate…
out of the 70% that left thier mates
60% left them within a year.

something about that award seems t doom a marriage or relationship.

sould it be that women who strive to get that award seem to be pressed into sacrificing more than their counterparts.

will someone explain this phenomenon?

It goes to show you how nothing is guaranteed in life. And it’s not because a couple is all smiles on red carpets that their marriage will be a long-lasting one. I just hope the kids won’t be affected.

Keep it Real @ 03/15/2010 at 3:47 pm

He does look like her father. I love kate though. I’m sure she will be fine.

Julia broke up with Benjamin after winning Oscar they weern’t married though

rachel_la @ 03/15/2010 at 3:51 pm

@too real: Maybe it’s just that a man can’t handle a woman on top… :P

Keep it Real @ 03/15/2010 at 3:52 pm

I wouldnot stress the oscar curse tooo much because we know Halle Berry’s hubby was a sex addict long before she won (they were doomed.) Julia Roberts pretty much changed boyfriends/hubbys frequently until her current one. We also know some of the other women were with men who couldnot cope with living in their wives career shadows. Maybe the lesson is actresses need to marry people OUTSIDE of the industry.

Wow. They did a good job keeping that secret…didn’t hear a whisper about this. Hope they work out something with the kids in mind – they’re always the ones that suffer the most.

danderleon @ 03/15/2010 at 4:00 pm

I doubt the Oscar had anything to do with it. She met her first assistant director husband on set and they divorced 3 years and 1 child later and she started seeing Sam Mendes pretty soon after the divorce. If she’s not careful she will have a gaggle of Directors and a child with each.

If there was anything between her and Leo it would have happened ages ago plus I don’t think Leo swings that way.

Wow… I think my heart stopped beating for about ten seconds after reading the awful news!

Wow! second divorce!

OULALA didn’t expect that one from her! I guess Love comes and just fades away in stupidwood…

Keep it Real @ 03/15/2010 at 4:30 pm

@danderleon. I have to aggree with you there. Kate needs to be able to take things wayyyyy slower next time. I know very passionate people have a hard time doing that.

Gwenyth dropped Ben big head after her win
reese witherspoon dropped her hubby after her win
hilary dropped her hubby after her second win…she was not famous enough when she won the first one.

like I said the pattern is there.
the curse is not the award is the striving to get to that point
the women scarifice alot to get to that point. children….spouses.. time with family.. even in todays world it is still frowned upon when a women neglects her family.
but men can stay away from their family for months and no one blinks an eye.
this is the dilemna…women still pay the price.
I dont think sam mendes was jealous of her success but it might have to do with the time they spend apart and the sacrifices she makes to be succesful.
Reese witherspoon IMO was too young to be married with kids. once her career took off something was going to suffer.
Ryan and reese just grew up.. they were no longer the youngins in love…now the harsh reality hit them…what happened to my youth? and why didn’t I wait before having kids?

Did not see this one coming. Thought it would be one of those Hollywood marriages that last, given that they are both low key and not celeb-obsessed types. But he had a reputation for being a ladies’ man before marriage to Kate Winslet. Maybe two Oscar winners in a marriage is just one OScar winner too much.

Year of the Break Ups! 2010!! @ 03/15/2010 at 4:44 pm

Next Stop: Barf Sluterilli and Leo DiCaprio! Yay!!!!!!! :)

Omg! I’m shocked, honestly. This makes me sad. They were great together. When ever she talked about him there was so much love. Oh gosh, I wish them well.

“reese witherspoon dropped her hubby after her win”
Wrong,
Ryan dumped Witherspoon for Abbie Cornish.

I’m sure Kate and Sam will be fine, they are both good people.

Go Ask Alice @ 03/15/2010 at 5:33 pm

I agree w/ Josie #5.

She was married once and then him and a child with each guy.

She is British. Lives there. Both men are British,and she lives a quiet life so that is why she will be under the radar .

Too bad for splitsville..

That sucks but I’m sure she’ll be fine!

I dislike her because she has a big mouth but it is always sad when couples split especialy the ones with small children.

leo and kate will never be together, i’am really sad for her

Another break up the tabloids missed, lol. They are too busy fabricating stories about Brad and Angie to realize what is going on with all the other couples who are actually having marital problems.

I really wanna see her dating Leo. They would make an incredible couple. It`s time for Leo to give up on models already!

Sad news! Kate is a very classy woman, she’ll probably handle this well in respect to media. She went on vacation in Mexico with her kids and family members/friends, which is a smart decision on her part because while the divorce news is unfolding, she’s away from everything. She does a good job of keeping her personal life out of the spotlight, keeping her kids out of the spotlight, its not strange that people including myself were shocked by this divorce! Nobody saw it coming because they keep quiet and are smart about it. They’ve been separated for months now and not a hint of speculation of divorce during those months! At the Golden Globes, BAFTAs, Oscars this year she kept her composure and held her head up high! It’s good that this was announced NOW, Kate and Sam were smart not to announce it right away because then at this year’s award ceremonies Kate would be the subject of discussion. I think she’s the type who just doesn’t want to be under so much spotlight…it shows through everything she does. Ahh I’m still shocked and sad about this but I’m not worried because Kate seems like such a lovely person, she’s always with her kids, I feel sorry for her kids. It’s always hardest on the kids in a situation of divorce but I think they will turn out fine. This situation was announced with class, no big fuss just a simple announcement and the fact that Kate is in Mexico makes it even better because she’s not putting herself in a situation of being approached by the media. Hopefully by the time she returns, the news will have cooled down! Plus she’s filming that Mildred Pierce project in April so she’ll be occupied with that. I’m just hoping for the best for the family!

she shall remain nameless @ 03/15/2010 at 7:45 pm

I can’t believe this, truly sad. I thought they would make it for the long haul.

Watch out Bar. You are in trouble. Keep a bag packed and near the door. Kate is the future Mrs.DiCaprio. It is only a matter of time. Those 2 are so into each other. It is on!

@POOCHIE: That is SO laughable. Leo is into the model types; he doesn’t go for anything beyond that. Kate is too classy and intelligent for Leo. They are JUST FRIENDS. Nothing more.

I find this news very sad for Kate; she seemed very committed to her marriage. But how refreshing to see a couple handle it with class and maintain their privacy as long as possible.

sweetmisery @ 03/15/2010 at 9:40 pm

OMG!!! The universe is tricky, just yesterday me and my friend were saying how cute leo and kate would be together but they couldnt cuz she was with sam…well look now…are the stars on their side? idk but i wish kate and sam and the kiddos the best during this tuff time.

This is what happens when you think you have a multitude of options and overrate love. Old folks who thought otherwise and went through their multitude of marriage ups and downs at least discovered reconciliation, peace and comfort. Why is that so bad? It was the ONLY way for thousands of years.
These things always leave me with a feeling of great disappointment.

she will never look to leo as someone to be in a relationship because leo is a baby he is 35yrs old and act like he still 19yrs old, she is a very inteligent women deserve better than him you should get over this ilusion from titanic, its time to grow up dont you think!

ah ha!! That’s what Kate gets for being so smug last year at the awards, and for forgetting Ms. Angelina Jolie’s name….what did she say?…oh yeah…”…who’s the other one?…”….I bet your ex-husband has forgot your name by now too honey, LOL! God don’t like ugly….maybe you’ll humble yourself now that you have TWO babies by TWO different men and they BOTH divorced you within a decade!….and you got together with Sam Mendes TWO MONTHS after separating from your husband….and Kate was 8 months preganant when they married? Hollywood beats up on angelina and other, but gives this HUSSY a pass. so freakin hypocritical!!

How are you supposed to take any hollywood couple seriously really 7 yrs and they are now divorcing. i mean for heaven sakes its like we see a rushed celeb wedding or divorce every month then they start dating because they are lonely and blah blah. i feel sorry for them though

Ohhh

Kate/Leo OTP!

I won’t lie if I say that I never thought about Kate and Leo together – simply because they’ve always been so praising in each others’ descriptions. And they’ve known each other for more than a decade.

Though I feel for these two, and thank god its all amicable – for the sake of the kids. It’s nice to see these two handling it maturely, kudos to them.

And now the shipper side of me: Leo, get your act together and go confess your love to Kate NOW.

@Annie: just more proof hollywood isn’t a good place for relationships. sad that kids are involved though.

Who’s next? Cate Blanchett and her husband?

joint custody of their kids?
kate and sam one have one child together son joe
mia is her daughter with her ex
i really doubt mia’s dad would be thrilled with sam having any visitations with his soon to be ex step daughter

Cate & Andrew will never split they’re practically joined at the hip. She & Meryl seem to have the only long & stable marriages in Hollywood. So sad!

this is now Leo’s chance to dump his golddigger gf and to marry Kate Winselt!

@Celine: lol its just girls that are the gold digger’s in hollywood . lookat loser z listers dating up and comer’s for publicity and sex. well at least until they get bored of ******** that is. or they just get bored of said person anyway

Kate and Leo were in a FILM together as actors – they weren’t really in love and didn’t have an affair.

Shame about their marriage and especially those poor children. Of course she became involved with Mendes whilst she was still married to her first husband, so perhaps one of them has found someone else now. I really don’t know why couples marry if they are not prepared to put more effort into their relationship.

jared fan @ 03/16/2010 at 9:53 am

i REALLY hope they can worh this out and stay together! Breaks my heart for them and especially the kids involved!!

jared fan @ 03/16/2010 at 9:55 am

I REALLY hope they can work through this and stay together! Breaks my heart for them and especially the kids involved!! Good luck to them!

that isn’t neccessarily true there’s a couple of examples I can think of Meryl Streep & Don Gummer have been married 32 years and she’s won 2 academy awards another is Sophia Loren & Carlo Ponti if not for an annullment in 1962 they’d have been married 49 years when he passed away 10th January 2007 she won the best actress oscar right before the annullment due to his mexican divorce from his first wife being illeagal in Italy at the time so they had to wait and obtain french citizenship before they could remarry 9 April 1966

Keep it Real @ 03/16/2010 at 11:59 am

@queen bee. This is not a Jennifer Anniston/Angelina Jolie loonie fans shouting match post. Get you facts straight. Kate was shocked she won that GG and momentarily forgot Angelina’s name but quickly added it. There was nothing smug about it. Just because some low class Hollywood actresses spend their time being catty don’t drag everyone else into it. If having babies by both men you are MARRIED to makes you a hussy then all the Hollywood baby mommas (who were just jumpoffs) should be shot.

First saw her in Titanic (which is one of the unendurable movies to me) and did not like her (as an actress that is). IMO she was miscast as she looked much older than 17 (Rose’s age in the movie that is) and than Leo. I don’t like her movies, have found the few interviews of her while killing time in bookstores to be supercilious. Her mouth–the corners of it– just reeks dishonest to me. She, like Tom Cruise, is one of the very few I find disagreeable.
It is hilarious to me that an actor/actress plays a few “intelligent”, “intellectual”, sage characters and s/he is deemed by the public to possess those qualities. The supermodels may seem the airheads but the fact that they make much more money than the “full-head” wo(men) perhaps may be the way the Devine upstairs employs to tell us that a head full of books does not a smarter person make. Leave Leo (or any man for that matter) alone with his preference of female companions.

I am so effing excited! Kate and Leo can finally be together! Leonardo and Kate are MEANT to be together. He gave her that engraved ring and she thanked him in her acceptance speech not her husband. And he blew her a kiss. They look at each other with love in their eyes and have amazing chemistry. I do not believe Leo is really in love with the models he dates that’s why the relationships never last. But with Kate – it is meant to happen!!! Unrequited love!!! It is happening people – I do not care what any of you say.

Leo and Kate are probably naked together right now!

I hope she can show off her puppies some more

whats with celebrity relationships they are never normal i don’t care what people say. hollywood isn’t a good enviorment for a relationship at all there are to meny tempations and they sleep around to much they merry and they aren’t in love in the first place. but they do it out of lonliness and desperation.

Amber-louise @ 03/16/2010 at 11:18 pm

Thats too bad they couldn’t work it out. BTW people, the whole Kate and Leo thing? You all realise they are actors right? They weren’t really in love just good at acting like they were.

That speech she gave at the Academy Awards last year made me cringe for her husband. She downright DECLARED HER LOVE for Leonardo Dicaprio She kept going on and on and on about Leo. Too much for a married woman whose husband his sitting in the audience. I was embarrassed for the man/husband. Something was probably on the outs then.
It reminded me of the time when Jen A accepted an award and forgot to thank her husband and forgot to mention Brad’s name when talking about her family of ‘FRIENDS’. When I saw the video she didn’t even want to kiss him when she got up to receive her award.
That one got way too big for her britches, started believing the hype. and drinking her own kool-aid. Even thought she was bigger than Brad. ahh haha hahahh ha haaaa!

sharifa>>kuwait @ 03/17/2010 at 9:56 am

@a: i’m inclined 2 say i was not surprised coz last year in her golden globe speach she 4got about her husband and said leo i love u sam was really shocked

@queen bee: First of all Kate was NOT eight months pregnant when she parried Sam! And cut the crap about that whole golden globes thing it was a heat of the moment mistake EVEN ANGELINA HERSELF LAUGHED ABOUT IT!! I don’t give a damn if you like Winslet or not but at least get your pacts straight before making an ass of yourself on the internet!

who cares? @ 03/17/2010 at 7:04 pm

I’ve never cared for this actress, either as an actor or a person. She really seems stuck up and too into herself to really give herself to anyone fully. I saw this marriage falling apart YEARS ago! It’s really funny to see her fans all up in a ditter about it! She’s like the female version of Brad Pitt, just after the attention of it all. Let’s see the next successful “artist” she attaches herself like a leech to next!

I feel so bad for Kate! I just read that Sam was fooling around w/a now 27 y/o “actress” named Rebecca Hall from UK. I really wish that she and Leo had hooked up years ago but now I just think they are good friends. That being said, I would LOVE IT if they did get together now. Anyways, if the rumor is true the Sam has been cheating on her since 2006 w/this Rebecca person, then he doesn’t deserve Kate! It also explains why she thanked Leo last year and nearly forgot Sam. Who wants to thank the man that is cheating on you? What a jerk!

I can’t believe it…it’s totally unexpecting…I’m sad for her and the children…

Marriage doesn’t matter anymore it seems neither does girlfriend or boyfriend. Its all but superfical anymore and you see more proof of that the more you look on sites like this. our culture has gone to **** and hollywood is partially to blame. there are cultural consequences for this a %50 divorce rate for first time marriages and a %63 percent divorce rate for live in couples. basicly they are there own self destruction by acting this way they are immature we all know it. they live in fantasy this and Sandra bullock lets you know marriage means nothing to these people. its just who’s pants they can get in next. baicly its all about sex. And this thing with the kids is just plain selfish

@Celine: