Chris Evans is Captain America -- CONFIRMED

Chris Evans is Captain America -- CONFIRMED

Chris Evans has accepted the lead role in Marvel’s much-anticipated superhero flick, The First Avenger: Captain America (alter ego: Steve Rogers).

According to THR, if the franchise does well, the 28-year-old actor will play the part in two sequels and star in the upcoming The Avengers movie, out in 2012.

Chris is no stranger to comic book fans — he played the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films.

ARE YOU EXCITED for Chris Evans to play Captain America?? We are!!!

Getty

great choice

Seriously @ 03/22/2010 at 6:36 pm

Seriously, that’s the best Marvel could get after all these weeks of casting. Probably has to do with the fact that they pay crap. Apparently Marvel is going to pay a measly 250.000 to the lead actor. I wonder how many of the more talented actors said no way after hearing that sum.

Jay Romero @ 03/22/2010 at 6:36 pm

Im SOOO EXCITED!!! He’s PERFECTION!!! Good for him! I hope it does very well and he has tons of success!!! I can’t wait to see it!!

Nope. Didn’t see Fantastic 4 cos of him, he’s awful.

@Seriously: Well, that’s the going rate for unknown actors. That’s what Sam Worthington got for “Avatar.” If the movie does well, he’ll probably get over a million for the next one and even more for any others in the series. I’m sure Evans isn’t too upset with the money since, if the movie hits, his career will be made.

As for whether or not he’s a good choice . . . I have no idea because I’m so tired of all these super hero movies. They have been done and done. Except for “Iron Man 2″ I’m not planning on seeing anymore of them.

Same here OVER the superhero movies, OVER IT!!!

But seriously he is much better than other ones tossed around, Chace? Barf!!!

Still not going to go see it

yay. i like him.

cutiemcfreckles @ 03/22/2010 at 7:04 pm

yawn

I thought it was going to be John Krasinski? Who I love btw. Bad choice, as he is not a leading man imo.

John was reported in the running at first according Deadline but then a couple of weeks later, they reported that he was no longer in the running. The only sites that went with him still in the running and was Marvel’s top choice was stupid gossip sites like Perez.

John Krasinski would have been a terrible Captain America – he’s too skinny, scrawny and ugly! Chris Evans is the perfect choice!

I wanted Channing Tatum ooooooooooohhhhhh well. I suppose there is always Flash Gordon, Thundercats or He-Man.

He was born to play a superhero like Captain America nnnnnoooooooooooooo.

I’m looking forward to Eagle of the Ninth, if Channing Tatum gives an outstanding performance (I know he will); I think I’m going to cry that he lost out on Captain America especially if the stunts are brilliant (me thinks it will be as directed by Kevin McDonald) again nnnnnnnnooooooo.

Well done though Chris Evans glad it’s finally settled and looking forward to Captain America.

This was not the one Channing Tatum there will be others…

chaigrl86 @ 03/22/2010 at 7:53 pm

A horrible choice. I agree, after all the screen testing this is who they choose? I will not being seeing it. Thanks for nothing Marvel.

I really don’t think it’s a good choice…
he’s already done the human torch for fantastic four and it wasn’t the greatest…
I dont think he’s the right guy to play captain america. Maybe they shoulda went with mike vogel or John Krasinski

mike vogel looks so much more like captain america. they should have chose him, but chris is good since theyre renewing the fantastic four with a new cast

I love how anyone that likes John Krasinski gets a thumbs down.

Well, I give Chris Evans a thumbs down! :)

...I n F a m o u s l y C o o l @ 03/22/2010 at 8:23 pm

..everyone wanted jensen ackles but that couldn’t happen, so.. out of the millions of short list chris was by far the best choice.

MUCH better choice than all the other people up for the role.

He is HOT, I’m actually gonna see that movie now!

Ok choice. I’ll see it!

Jokergurl @ 03/22/2010 at 8:54 pm

Cool, he’s got charisma, looks, humor, physique, great choice.

MUCH BETTER THAN KRASINSKI

John Krasinski is too dorky to play a cool character. Hollywood needs a suave man to take the lead part especially if it’s going to be a superhero movie. I think they made the best choice by picking Chris Evans.

great! He’s so hot.

i thougth it would be jensen ackles =(
why do they chose someone who already has been a hero before???
its like christian bale for superman
someone new it would be so much better choise

IT DOESN’T MATTER IF HE’S HOTT!!
He was already The Human Torch!! Is he really the best Marvel can do? Really the best lead role?? He isn’t unknown, but he should be. Im sure there are plenty of better people that could play Captain America.
I mean
John Krasinski IS skinny yes, but so was Steve Rodgers before he became Captain America, it would have made some sense. And sure, he’s not the “hottest” person in the world, does that really matter??
Of all people, Chris Evans?? Sure this is very upsetting for the people that enjoy Captain America, I guess the best anyone can do is wait to see the movie…I personally don’t think he will be able to pull it off

@Gutted:

According to Deadline, Channing turned the part down. He didn’t loose it.

He is cute. I hope it works. I love CA.

iI LIKE IT, HE IS HOT, NOW HE ONLY NEED A LITTLE CHANGE IN HIS HAIR COLOR, A BIT MORE BLOND, BUT THE CHOICE IS PERFECT.

With enough special effects, they can work around his lack of acting skills and the fact that he looks nothing like Steve Rogers or Captain America. Hope the supporting cast evens things out.

i looooove hiim, and he is so hot.. great choiice

@mslewis: Marvel is paying $300,000. Not that it makes much of a difference, Chris Evans? I don’t think so.

Didn’t he date Jessica Biel at some point? I know, that’s random but I thought he did.

Marcio Santos @ 03/22/2010 at 11:09 pm

Aside from whether he fits for the role as Cap, he’s already Torch in Fantastic 4. With the logic that movie X-Men, F4, Spidey n Hulk are in one Marvel universe, this idea is stupid…Chris Evans as Johnny storm okay, even though the movies sucked but as Captain America he is not old enough. Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.) would look older than him plus hes does not look like a serious guy. If he does get the job i know i will see the film but i will think less of it even more if he is in the avengers movie

Marcio Santos @ 03/22/2010 at 11:09 pm

Great pick! He’s very under-featured. Awesome talent and perfect super hero looks!

Never thought of him portraying Cap. Good choice!

If Captain America has a brother Chris’s brother Scott should play the role.

Excellent choice.

Excellent choice

ramoncazenav @ 03/23/2010 at 12:32 am

Disaster.This will be more “Daredevil” than “Dark Knight”.The choice of director was the first hint this movie was going into the tank without one scene being filmed. It’s obvious that Robert Downey Jr. is going to be the anchor of the Avengers franchise and everyone else is simply going to be a sidekick.No problem there.

Chris Evans is hot! I’ll see it!

AreYouKiddingMe @ 03/23/2010 at 1:35 am

Not a good fit. Captain America is a strong man. I don’t get that from Evans at all. Someone like Matthew McConaughey would have been perfect.

pretty young girl @ 03/23/2010 at 1:50 am

Ok, but isn’t he the guy from Fantastic 4? whatever

HEY!!! Great! I am so happy for him. Because he is such a great actor but besides few great movies like push and perfect score He did some really bad ones (he was great in all)

too bad thought cause I was writing a script with him in mind as the male lead. now I don’t know if he will be availabe. Good for him though! cant wait to see him

The truth @ 03/23/2010 at 7:55 am

Wish that hayden christensen would have gotten it. He really needed to get out are those roles he’s playing. But what’s going to happen to the other movie he suppose to do this summer? Guess he going to have give it to someone else.Still love chris evens he is so hot and talented too. love them both. congrats anyway.

Butter_Fly @ 03/23/2010 at 8:40 am

I don’t see the big deal with this character. I always thought he was…I don’t know, corny? I mean he has an “A” on his forehead.

Chris Evans? He’s okay, but I don’t think he’s that too good of a choice. He looks like the typical person you see in the generic Hollywood superhero movies.

I might get thumbs down for this, but who cares. I think Mike Vogel would have been better for this role. But I did get a little excited when I heard that John Krasinski was in the running, because he didn’t look like the regular macho superhero. It would have a different kind of depth to the movie if they casted him.

Probably won’t watch this movie.

not enough @ 03/23/2010 at 9:32 am

Have no opinion either way, not the sort of movie that interests me

Looks to be an awesome choice!!!

Not my type of movie but will watch it now that he is in it, I love Chris Evans!!!!

This was a terrible choice. He looks and FEELS nothing like the Cap and he’s a stiff, awful actor. Great casting, Marvel. They ruined Daredevil with bad casting and now this.

I thought Marvel was above casting people just for their looks, guess I was wrong. They clearly didn’t cast him for his acting skills…

I’m hoping he proves me wrong. I mean, he’s too modern.

marvel Studios, I trust you, but what?

Also at least this is good news that they WILL recast Fantastic 4

brightside @ 03/23/2010 at 1:03 pm

Isn’t it about time that HW took a break from all these superhero movies? When you’ve seen one movie about a guy in a spandex suit saving the world you’ve pretty much seen them all, yawn. It gets boring.

BuckyRules @ 03/23/2010 at 2:22 pm

Don’t care about captain america, wh plays Bucky? the REAL HERO who knows what war is and will do anything to ensure victory, (use a damn gun and shoot..lame ass steve rogers who does not takes lives..in WAR thatis. Jeez)

I don’t think this guy is a suitable Captain America. He is a mediocre actor and as a star role will just be laughable. Maybe teenagers will like it. I mean, hey, they should just call it “Not Another Marvel Movie.”

Not a good choice…since he is already one of the Fantastic 4.

Stupid stupid stupid….there are so many other actors out there with no connection to super hero roles that they could have chosen from. wtf?

Chris Evans is smokin hot. And he was hilarious in Not Another Teen Movie. I also liked him in Sunshine. His clothes should be on my floor.

if he only wear the mask and shield in all for it!

@mmm: i def wanted john krasinski as well!

JOHN KRASINSKI HAS MORE TALENT THEN MR FIREBALL WILL EVER HAVE!

@…I n F a m o u s l y C o o l: why couldn’t jensen happen? I love him AND chris btw! I’m just happy he’s getting another chance! He’s so hot and he proved his talent in Street Kings! He’s very good!

OMG YES! I LOVE HIM! I CAN’T WAIT! HE’S SUCH A GREAT ACTOR TOO! HOTT!!!!!!!!!! XD <3

In Spain we love CHRIS EVANS!!!!!!!! thanks!!

xoxo for everybody, USA is great! :D

My vote was for Mark Valley, now the star of the current action-adventure show, Human Target. Before that, he was relatively unknown, except for his roles in shows Boston Legal and Days Of Our Lives. While great at snark tho, never would’ve guessed he’d be such an ~awesome~ action-adventure star until Human Target, so he definitely deserves to be noticed! ;D

As far as Chris Evans.. really? I agree, it’s weird cuz he is already in Fantastic Four. And he seems to fit that role way better than he would this character. But whatever, I’ll still be curious to see what they do with it.. ;P

CHRIS EVAN?! OMG F**K YEAH!!! I THINK I C*ME A LITTLE! I’ve been telling everyone that!

that chris evan would be captain america.

chris evan would be captain america