Ricky Martin Joins Broadway's EVITA

Ricky Martin Joins Broadway's EVITA

Ricky Martin will star as Che in the Broadway revival of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice‘s Evita. Argentinean actress Elena Roger will reprise her West End performance as Eva Perón.

“I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to perform on many of the world’s largest concert stages, but I’ve never lost my love for the intimacy of the theater,” said Ricky. “I’m delighted to know that after I’ve had the chance to share new music and tour over the coming year, that I will then return once again to Broadway. I’m looking forward to playing such an essential part in Michael Grandage’s wonderful production and the chance to work with the tremendously talented Elena Roger.”

The show is targeting a spring 2012 opening!

Ricky, who came out publicly in March, has performed on Broadway before — he played the romantic lead, Marius Pontmercy, in the hit musical Les Miserables.

ABC

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

I thought the one on the right was Gaga.

YES, I’m EXCITED about the Broadway news!

I need to visit NYC in 2012

Regards from Europe!

Why do u have to keep mentioning he came out? We all know. Its a non story. Move on.

@fresh: there’s nothing else interesting enough about him

Livin' la Vida Loca @ 06/09/2010 at 1:07 pm

Matt,
you are sooo wrong, Ricky rocks, check out his twitter:

“ARE YOU EXCITED to see Ricky Martin back on Broadway??”

@Livin’ la Vida Loca: Lmfao, what the heck is his Twitter supposed to prove?

@Zeee: Is that you? You sang a bit slow and in parts it went off-key but you have great nuance in your voice

@WTF: You need to make an effort and learn something about a person BEFORE you claim “there’s nothing else interesting enough about him”.

@Livin’ la Vida Loca: blech. ricky was fun to sing along to for karaoke nights, never took him seriously, his song and video always made me laugh. now he just makes me cringe the way the focus of his career is suddenly on his orientation and all he does now is promote lgbt (it may be out of his heart but it feels contrived and makes me cringe), he’s about 30 years too late. no one talks about his music at all. he’s just a name and a revelation, all to sell his memoirs

Iffy Miffy @ 06/09/2010 at 1:26 pm

He sang in Les Mis?! He doesn’t have the voice for Marius … I like him, don’t get me wrong but no way can he be Marius, or anyone else from Les Mis while we’re at it. Anyone who heard even one song done by Michael Ball will know what I’m talking about. I don’t know, Evita seems a better bet for sure.

@simple: I don’t care enough. Meaning there is clearly nothing interesting enough to grab my interest.

that's spam but @ 06/09/2010 at 1:31 pm

@Zeee: you’re pretty.

@ehhhh: “he’s about 30 years too late”
Late?!?
Homosexual people have full citizen rights in your country?

@WTF: Nice try.
You obviously care enough to trash him.

@huh???: did you purposely miss the point in my comment or are you just slow

im sooo tired of people thinking Evita was a good person. Im from Argentina and believe me, she was a monster! im so tired that the entired world think that we are like her or Maradona.

I had heard about this a couple of months ago and thought it was crazy. Well he did get the part. Kudos to him

@ehhh: OK, what was your point?
Did you notice that Ricky has two kids and that US isn’t the only country in the world?

Ricky Martin @ 06/09/2010 at 2:00 pm

“I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to perform on many of the world’s largest concert stages, but I’ve never lost my love for the intimacy of the theater,” said Ricky Martin.

@milagros:

ok. Es tu pensamiento y lo respeto , pero si es conocida por ser una gran mujer por algo sera.

great news! @ 06/09/2010 at 3:01 pm

CAN’T WAIT !!!

I’m sure Ricky and that women he dated for years and years were in love. Sometimes you want to sleep with someone to be close to them which can sometimes be mistaken for real sexual desire. OR maybe he was just pretending but hey…

gay is OK! @ 06/09/2010 at 4:40 pm

Kate,
those women were beards, his friends, not his lovers.
You know, like closeted gay actors who use fake girlfriends to sell straight image.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All