Bryce Dallas Howard Explains Quitting Veganism

Bryce Dallas Howard Explains Quitting Veganism

Bryce Dallas Howard opens up to Self magazine in the July 2010 issue (featuring cover girl Anna Paquin) about her choice to no longer pursue a vegan lifestyle.

“I was a vegan for several years – all the way through my pregnancy and the birth of my son,” the 29-year-old actress shared.

“Becoming Vegan was actually more of a personal choice than a health choice for me, but there were many wonderful health benefits that came along with that lifestyle. Unfortunately, I learned a few months after my son’s birth that I actually had a rare condition that was triggered by pregnancy, where consuming the amino acids from meat became critical to my health. My doctor sat me down and finally said, ‘Bryce, you need to choose between your ethics and your future.’”

“It was actually a very challenging and emotional transition to make,” Bryce added, “but I was grateful to my doctor for putting things in perspective for me, and I was grateful for my time as a Vegan as I now have such a more profound appreciation for where my food comes from.”

• Big Brother Season 8 winner Evel Dick Donato gets hit by a car- TMZ
  • Maitland Ward's dress is definitely something you can't miss- Huffington Post
  • Anais Zanotti shows off her body in a yellow bikini - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All

come on.. who can resist bbq? have a cheeseburger or some tri-tip, you wont be vegan any longer.

Actually I’d like to know the name of this condition.

offtheproperty @ 06/20/2010 at 11:01 am

So-called “Inter-racial dating” is a joke on the white girl. They don’t know how much they stand to lose and the low-down black man doesn’t have the decency to warn them or just keep his dirty sh*t away from them.

Me too. Sounds like she was just eating junk food and not watching her protein intake.

I’d like to know the name of the condition as well. And since doctors have little nutritional training, I wonder if she consulted a dietition. I have this issue of Self and she doesn’t explain at all. Its just a blurb.

Dance In The Dark @ 06/20/2010 at 11:04 am

As much as I respect Vegetarianism and Veganism, there are undoubted health benefits to meat in our daily diet. To me personally, the same with Bryce, my health overrides my morals.

Iffy Miffy @ 06/20/2010 at 11:40 am

Love the comments about doctors not knowing what they learned while at uni, how many years exactly? Please people, the human gastrointestinal tract is incredibly complex and the diseases we have are numerous, some nowhere near explored enough even though we know certain foods add to the problem – I know, I have one of those. Not fun. We were meant to eat meat, that is our natural diet. Our morals came after. I respect any vegan, their choice but to suddenly get on the case of this woman because she has a medical reason not to be one any more … I mean, seriously?!

Vinylholic @ 06/20/2010 at 11:45 am

To be honest, I truly doubt her condition requires the consumption of meat. There are many supplements that can provide a much more concentrated and powerful supply of amino acids. Biologically and nutritionally speaking, our bodies do not benefit from meat in our daily diet. The ability to consume meat is an adapted trait that is rather rudimentary, at best and while possible, should not be reccomended by doctors or nutritionists.

Yeah, i’d also like to know the name of the disease.
To a lot of people it might sound stupid, but I wouldn’t know what to do if I’d be in her position. As a vegan of many years, I can’t imagine to ever consume meat, just the thought makes me sick and sad.

I didn’t say she didn’t have a medical issue, I was wondering what it was since she didn’t go into it. I kind of think she just wanted to eat meat again, but felt guilty and is saying she medically needs to, which personally I do not believe.

And no, doctors do not study nutrition for very long. My brother in law and 4 friends are doctors-they’re the ones who told me, they would know. They just don’t study it in depth, that’s it. Its scientifically proven that a plant based diet is much healthier for us nevermind the environmental issues.

I’m not buying it but whatever! I don’t blame her. Meat is yummy.

Dance In The Dark @ 06/20/2010 at 11:59 am

I’m actually really suprised how many Vegans on here literally jump down Bryce’s throat, and those who say they eat meat.

We live in a world of free choice. Those of us who eat meat have said we completely respect Veganism and Vegetarianism, so how about you guys try and be a little more tolerant of us? You sound really aggresive and to be honest are giving me quite a bad impression.

Oh, please we call BS on something and we’re aggressive? Come on now-really? I thought that everyone was actually being very nice, which I’m surprised because on this site people are usually in attack-mode.ie. Brangelina posts. I think we can all agree to disagree, right?

I am confused…the doctor says it’s critical for her health to consume amino acids from meat…but she stops being vegan!? so she is going to eat the acids which are bad for her health? ehm…weird!

lexy hates bilson @ 06/20/2010 at 12:47 pm

Nice to see some talented actresses on this website!

@cluady….obviously you dont understand….the doc said it is critical that she consumes amino acids from meat….meaning it is IMPORTANT that she DOES!…geeze!

guys just let her do what she wants and respect her choice….mea eaters are always told to respect vegans and their choices so how about vegans doing the same.

CanadaGirl @ 06/20/2010 at 12:56 pm

@Vinylholic: I was Veggie for years. I took supplements, including iron, but after getting a health condition (which sadly is lifelong) I wasn’t getting enough iron from supplements. I had no energy and a host of other problems. My GP and another health practitioner said that my condition and the meds that I’m on make it challenging for my body to absorb iron from a supplement source. So I had no choice but to start eating some meat, and things improved quickly. Meat still grosses me out but I had no choice but to consume it.

Stan Thomas @ 06/20/2010 at 1:03 pm

Her Dr. is a quack, she is a lier, or both. Just what is this rare, magical condition?

Brice is an amazing actress and I can hardly wait to see her in Twilight 3.

Why does she feel the need to “excuse” her eating meat?
Do you need a “condition”? to eat chicken or fish?
In fact, being Vegan while pregnant sounds a bit problematic towards her fetus and the well-being of the development of the fetus.
No need to go into extremes and no need to excuse a culinary/ lifestyle choice.

oh my god all the vegans in here may not be eating meat but they surely go cannibal against others’ opinion.

Doctors know pitifully little about nutrition. Many have never even attended a seminar on it, much less studied it in medical school.

Humans don’t have to eat meat. All the amino acids necessary for health and complete protein intake are available with a vegetarian diet. Being a vegan is harder than being a vegetarian because they must carefully monitor the balance of their plant based foods, but certainly, it’s not impossible.

Bryce could easily adapt to a vegetarian diet which includes dairy and eggs [both contain 100% complete proteins, as do a few plant based foods like tofu], but not dead animals. Meat is not necessary for health if one is watchful.

What one eats or doesn’t is a personal choice, but I don’t like reading Bryce’s excuse, because it isn’t scientifically factual.

Dance In The Dark @ 06/20/2010 at 1:50 pm

@martha:

My husband, a doctor of 12 years, would disagree with that statement.

And yes, he has attended many seminars, as did all his fellow medical students, and has extensive knowledge of nutrition.

I am an organic vegan of 12 years and I would never abandon my vegan lifestyle. She is a lying fool. If you have a shortage of Amino Acids, he should have suggested an Amino Acid supplement such as Amino Fuel. There are substitutes for EVERY aspect of a carnivorous lifestyle. A doctor who simply implies that you must abandon something such as veganism is nothing more than a sham. A good doctor can offer substitutes.

@Vinylholic: You know that we have canine teeth, which is for tearing through meat. So biologically speaking, meat is required in our diet. But it is our choice whether or not we follow through with it. And adapting a trait is still considered to be a biological factor. You would know that if you took any biology courses.

And with regards to being a vegan or vegetarian, I don’t have any problem with either. I just love meat too much to give it up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Show All