Halle Berry Covers VOGUE September 2010

Halle Berry Covers VOGUE September 2010

Halle Berry dons a short blunt bob on the September 2010 cover of Vogue, on stands August 24. Check out what the 43-year-old actress spilled:

On her first interview in three years: “I was burned-out with having other people tell the story about me that they wanted to tell. I told my publicist, ‘I’m not going to talk anymore. I’m just going to live my life and be who I am.’”

On being asked to be on the cover of the September issue of Vogue: “What that means for a woman of color and what that means in the fashion world, what that means to pop culture, there was no way I could say, ‘No I’m not going to be on the biggest issue of the year.’”

On the “Oscar curse”: “Everybody talks about the Oscar curse. People win Oscars, and then it seems like they fall off the planet. And that’s partly because a huge expectation walks in the room and sits right down on top of your head. The moment I won the Oscar, I felt the teardown the very next day. I thought, If I’m going down, I’m going down taking chances and daring to risk. Hence…Catwoman.”

On her appreciation of the female body: “I love the naked female form…. I just feel like that’s the most empowered position you can be in… That comes with age. I’ve been slowly getting there. If the world wouldn’t persecute me, I’d take nude pictures every day of the week.”

On her relationship and breakup with Gabriel Aubry: “It’s just that you realize you are not meant to go the distance with everybody. We were meant to bring this amazing little person (daughter Nahla Aubry) into the world. And I think that’s why we came together. And because of that, we are going to be together forever, all three of us. We are a family until we are not here anymore… We have always been friends, we’re still friends, we love each other very much, and we both share the love of our lives. And we are both 100 percent committed to being the best parents we can be. And while it was not a love connection for us, he was absolutely the right person to have this child with because she is going to have an amazing father. And that was really important to me. We’ll make sure we always do what is right for her and put her first. And she will see as she grows that we have a lot of love for each other.”

Check out Halle‘s full cover shoot and interview at Vogue.com!

halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 01
halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 02
halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 03
halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 04
halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 05
halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 06
halle berry vogue september 2010 cover 07

Getty
  • Lisa Kudrow completed her jury duty in one day- TMZ
  • Watch the new music video for Hunter Hayes' song "Tattoo"- Just Jared Jr
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip

of course she always looks amazing, but i dont like this bob cut.

Great about about Gabriel and her!!!

I love Halle. She not a publicity *****, she’s talented and gorgeous.

What a classy, beautiful Woman. I love the new look.

fashionista @ 08/12/2010 at 12:53 pm

This was expected. It was mentioned on this blog. This is HUUUUUUGE
The Vogue Setpember issue is THE magazine issue of the year
The fortysomethings are ruling!

What does she mean “it was not a love connection for us”? Does she mean they were never in love and just wanted to have a baby together?, or that they eventually fell out of love? I love the fact that they are mature and doing the mature thing for the sake of their little girl.

OMG, I been waiting for this. Halle looks amazing.

This is the first time a black/woman of color has graced the cover of the September issue. The pictures look amazing. I love it.
I usually don’t by Vogue but I will now. It’s almost 800 pages so you won’t have to buy another magazine for the rest of the year lol!!!

This is big! Everyone was waiting. I like it. And a new interview too, not some reahsed old bits.

her career is over.. im sorry but she should not have been the first african american actress to win the oscar for leading lady.. there is NO WAY she can justify doing Catwoman after she got the Oscar.. she should have waited for a better role to come along but no she took the money and ran.. her life has been about creating all these casualties along the way and doing a photo shoot or a red carpet appearance to anisthesize real pain she numbs… so sad

Maria Testino did the photography.

Brightside @ 08/12/2010 at 1:12 pm

She’s such a beautiful woman and it’s lovely that she’s still friends with Gabriel. Nahla’s so fortunate to have two parents who, although they are not together any more, are determined to put her first and be friends rather than enemies.

She talks about that inthe interview so sick.

@so sick:

It’s not that serious hun, relax, breathe and go have fun and live life.

I love the cover. It’s not photoshopped to death like the other magazines, including Vogue, has done.

@ wtf no YOU go have fun and live life…dont transfer anything on me..enjoy being YOURSELF

I’m loving the retro 20′s look. Halle rocks it. I don’t like the pink color lettering though. Looks like a good issue.

Halle is a gorgeous woman but I hate this bob. On any woman. Not cute to me. It looks somehow okay on the cover pic but the others :/ …Oh well, these are still nice pics. I don’t understand what she means by “it was not a love connection for us”? It sounds as if they were never in love and she just got with him to have this wanted baby? WTH. Anyway, I’m glad they get along for the sake of their little Goddess. Nahla is so precious. The most beautiful celeb daughter in my opinion.

@so sick:

You’re the only one here talking smack. We are talking about the magazine and here you are driving off the road like a lunatic.

The editorial is very fashion and kudos to her for scoring the September issue of Vogue. Is there some documentary with this too or was that a one shot deal?

Finally, a person who deserves the cover. What a break-through, for not only colored women, but color women in their forty’s. Cheers for Anna Wintour and Halle Berry.

I love the Louise Brooks vibe too! This cover would be perfect except for that stupid banner on the top left corner. Shoot…

She looks pretty

You gotta give Anna Wintour her props.

Also I’ve been seeing some snippets of the editorials in the magazine and it’s nice but….it seems like for American Vogue, they always pull back the glamour and the ‘out there’ fashion a bit. It’s like: let’s not alienate the women in Peoria because we want their dollars too.

I understand but Vogue is a fashion with a capital F magazine. It’s not like, uh, Ladie’s Home Journal or O magazine or Good Housekeeping. People buy or open Vogue for one thing only, the haute fashions and everything surrounding it.

Halle Berry Beautiful on this cover…….. Thank you Vogue for putting a women of Color (Colour on your front cover)

Smart. On the newstand you need to stand out among the clutter. Halle being on Vogue is a win. She’s just stunning. 750 pages? in this economy? Not bad.. The advertisers have a lot of confidence.

Go Ask Alice @ 08/12/2010 at 1:57 pm

Ummm, Halle is NOT the first and only Black American woman to be on Vogue.
Same thing with the Oscar. It was way over the top.
Other Black women did win an Oscar.

Halle and this Black thing, she needs to quit.
Get off the soapbox.

That hairstyle is hideous!

Vanessa Taylor @ 08/12/2010 at 2:34 pm

agreed

Carly Peitel @ 08/12/2010 at 2:50 pm

Halle’s New Chic, Straight, “BoB” Looks Elegant !!!! I Love It !!!!

@Go Ask Alice: Halle Berry is the 1st Black American woman on the September Issue and Halle Berry was the 1st Black woman to win an oscar for Best actress, the others won for supporting roles. Those are the facts

@Go Ask Alice: Halle Berry is the 1st Black American woman on the September Issue(the most important issue for fashion mags) and Halle Berry was the 1st Black woman to win an oscar for Best actress, the others won for supporting roles. Those are the facts,dear.

Wow…..she hasn’t had a movie or anything in ages. What the heck is she on the cover for?

@Kim:

Why don’t you find out? There is a reason but you do the work.

She looks ****-eyed

Those pics are horrible.

Oh, I forgot to mention… I meant it was a great break-through for women, of colour. For a black woman in her forty’s to be on the September Issue. I’m happy she is single, men are like extra children anyway. Life is complicated enough.

Fritz, craigy's fantasy girl. @ 08/12/2010 at 7:26 pm

Not a love connection? I guess Gabe didn’t get the memo.
*shakes head*

@ Go Ask Alice,

Halle is the second black woman to be on the Vogue cover in September (their biggest issue), the first was Niaomi Cambell and that was 20 years ago. Halle is the first (and only) black woman to win an Oscar for Best Actress. So maybe you should hide your bitterness a little better, its not that serious.

uh what about oprah. she was on sept & it was the highest grossing vogue EVER!

she is so beautiful and has CLASS,and very good actress..good for her!

She looks like Katie Holmes circa 2008 in this photo. That’s not a compliment. Halle can do better.

She looks so photoshopped!

amazingly buetifull and timless. I love she is freandly with her ex. classy.

Excuse me, actually the third african american woman to be on the biggest issue of the year. (September). I’m a major in african american history and an editor for French Vogue. I know my facts. Thank you.

@Fritz, craigy’s fantasy girl.: Why are you so surprised? Their body language was always off. So she finally admitted he was nothing more than a willing sperm donor.

Re Halle Berry’s comment about there not being a “love connection” between her and Gabriel Aubry: It doesn’t say much for either of them if they used each other like that. Maybe she should have just kept quiet and maintained some dignity. He, at least, has never said anything like that publicly. I have no respect for her after this interview.

photoshopped much?

shes pretty and all that but this is way too much airbrushing

@yeah: Mario, he’s a man!

If Vogue can put Halle Berry on the cover, who got an Oscar for the MOST DEGRADING PART IN A MOVIE, LEFT HER HUSBAND, AND IS ANOTHER MOTHER RAISING A CHILD WITHOUT A MAN IN THE HOUSE, then they can also put Victoria Beckham on the cover, whose a DEVOTED MOTHER OF THREE BOYS, BEING RAISED WITH HER HUSBAND, DAVID!

Happy she is on the cover but highly disappointed that with the concept the fashion editor went for she looked more like Tracy Camilla Johns (New Jack CIty, She’s Gotta Have it)

I’ve never really thought she is as gorgeous as people usually say. Or liked her acting much. But she gives a good interview.

She looks like Bai ling. That’s not good.

They’ve covered up her entire pic with all the writing lol.

wow, she looks so different, her face looks scalpted like Kim K and Megan Faux look now. Why is everyone in hollywood having so much surgery?

Not true about Halle’s first interview in 3 years:What do you call her interviews in Essence and Harper’s Bazaar 1-2 years ago. She was still spreading the bullshit about Aubry being the love of her life etc

They still love each other, but no love connection?

pinkish blue @ 08/13/2010 at 8:59 am

congratulation s! I wish my friend had one too.!!!

Halle is the biggest fattest LIAR I have ever heard…Utter bullshit comes out from that womans mouth…She should never havebeen allowed to have given birth..she has NO ethics NO morals and just continuous to be LIAR …A very dishonest woman..her photos in vogue looks terrible really….Its quite coincidental that she did the timing of vogue when Gabriel also had his photo gigs all over the net…Halle seems like a bitter scorned woman and no man really likes her..It was all over Gabes face and body language..Even in that bull she could not act ….everyone can see she is the biggest TOSSER in this real world that she will never encounter nor come even close to…Love the way she says she wants to take the year of and not think of men????? hahahahahhhaahah too laughable COME ON HALLE GET REAL!!!! NO MAN WANTS YOU!!!! YOU ARE SUPERFICIAL AND THE BIGGEST IDIOT I have ever seen on the screen and heard when you speak ..good god shut the F>>>>K up please..you have contradicted yourself over and over again you LIAR!!!

She is the first black woman to win an Oscar in the leading actress category. Two others have won for supporting actresses including whoopie and hattie.

You win an Oscar for one role not many roles. She did catwoman and it was not the greatest but her Oscar was for Monster and you cannot deny she was good in that role. You sign contracts in Hollywood long before a movie is made. She signed on to do Catwoman months before she won and had a contractual obligation to do that movie.

she looks great!!

I can’t wait to get this issue. I hope she does more cutting edge indie type movies.

OMG Halle and Olivier Martinez???

@nate: Sounds like the bitter one. Yes Halle does lie and spins her bullshit on a occasion.
No coincidence of Gabe being on Detail (no previous mention/who knows when Gaybriel works and isn’t lazy on the golf course) and Halle on Vogue(which was announced several months ago) were released at the same time. Halle has no control when things are released. The interview was done months ago. Both used each other. Please don’t make Gaybriel out like a saint–he had no trouble taking her money over the last 4 years. Halle’s statement about him jointly raising Nahla with her instead of Halle possibly controlling the situation-what’s she supposed to say? They got tired of furthering their charade and Halle has enough sense to go off like she did with David and Eric because of Nahla and him getting custody. His photos look the same–fuggly. More tired. Can’t blame Halle–he chose to be her gay paid sperm donor.

No bullshit about her work at the J Center or her films. She’s working because she has to and doesn’t have Gabe around.

Halle has always worn short hair beautifully.

I wonder how she pronounced her daughter’s name.

It bugs me when people call her or Obama black when they both have a parent of a different ethnicity. It’s inaccurate, I consider them both multiethnic and think the main reason they call themselves black is because they know that this society is more comfortable with that label and doesn’t want to grow up and openly accept their equally mixed heritage and forget that ridiculous one drop rule that has no scientific merit. If a person is asian and white they are considered both instead of one or the other.

@nate: You just outted yourself as a depression sufferer, Halle has nothing to do with your sorry life, my bet is that you are wrinkly, leathery faced middle aged low esteem woman, who is bitter at beautiful people. The things you said on your post are laughable, at worst sad because you believe them….I don’t suppose Halle has so much power as you presume and the idea that ‘no man wants her’ lol!! Take a chill pill and reasses your life. exploding on Halle is not theraputic, what you need is a professional help…I hope you seek it soon.

the cover is ugly

One reads beautiful, oh so beautiful and I just can´t say anything else. These fotos are JUST BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for posting the snaps.

maryhasit @ 08/17/2010 at 9:12 am

Hairdo not flattering.

HB is a beautiful woman, and if I were her, I’d stop at that.
Too bad she (like many other celebrities) has this need to tell the story of her life.
Personally I enjoy actors and actresses as movie characters only, and I am not asking that they do any more for me.

Anonymous @ 08/17/2010 at 9:10 pm

Pretty, pretty, pretty! Shiny and sleek, too. I love velvet and long dresses.

That is THE BEST interview Halle has ever done. People may not like what she says, but she tells it like it is in this month’s Vogue. Yes, the hair was a bit over the top, (literally), but she looks great.

@The Populist: The Populist totally agree that it is one of her better interviews in getting close to her version of telling the truth about her relationship etc. once you got past the fluff stuff with her work projects and philanthropy work. It takes guts to admit not to settle, stay together for the sake of Nahla, or tell the media what they want to hear i.e. Ebony, Essence, etc. Wish them all the very best.

#71 part two @ 08/19/2010 at 7:41 am

@The Populist: Not crazy about the photo shoot either.

knight shining armor @ 08/19/2010 at 12:57 pm

I LIKE WHAT I SEE,I ALWAYS HAVE.THE ROMANCE IN HER EYES,ITS VISIBLE,ONLY TO EXCEPT AND TO SETTLE FOR TRUE LOVE IN TIME.