Naturi Naughton: Mad Men's Newest Star!

Naturi Naughton: Mad Men's Newest Star!

Naturi Naughton, who starred in the 2009 remake of Fame, will guest star on the Sunday, September 26th episode of the Emmy winning drama Mad Men.

This marks the first time that an African-American actor will appear on the show who isn’t serving in a domestic capacity (maid, butler, busboy). Quite an honor!

We wonder what Naturi’s character is going to be like! Don’t forget to set your TiVos!!!

Posted to: Mad Men, Naturi Naughton

• Watch a trailer for Supernatural: Bloodlines- Entertainment Weekly
  • John Legend has a baby doppelganger- Huffington Post
  • Drake heads to a basketball game- Lainey Gossip
  • Sammy Braddy shows off her sexy lingerie - Hollywood Tuna

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All

I’m sorry but all I can think of when I look at this girl is her sex scene from Notorious.

Wow. As a fan of Mad men I am excited to see what role she will play. I know a lot of us wanted to see how a minority character who is not a maid or a doorman will fit in this show.

Hermiola89 @ 09/22/2010 at 5:33 pm

I thought there was Paul who had a black girlfriend? oO

Im excited! I love Mad Men and I wanted a black character who wasnt a housekeeper or janitor for so long!!!

Who Cares @ 09/22/2010 at 5:35 pm

@Hermiola89: Totally. She worked in a grocery store and was an activist!

Dubya Bush @ 09/22/2010 at 5:37 pm

They’re probably gonna make her a prostitute or some s hit.

She is cute. Will def be watching. Mad Men is def the best show on TV. Paul Kinsey did have a black girlfriend on Season 1. My guess is this new character will be working with Peggy’s new friend at Life Magazine in the same building. That is my guess, can’t wait to see if I am right!

anonymous @ 09/22/2010 at 5:39 pm

Paul’s girlfriend in the first and second season was black.

WOW! I NEVER watch this show and NEVER will and I’m glad. To show Blacks in that capacity today is gross. Congrats to Naturi but this show is a slap in the face of America and why Americans are so racist.

@Hermiola89:

you’re completely right. i thought the same thing. sheila white (played by donielle artese) was paul’s girlfriend for two episodes.

jared, even if she wasn’t a major character, even amc acknowledges that donielle was the first major non-help african-american character.

She’s gorgeous! Nice to see a new face on the show.

mystikalrose @ 09/22/2010 at 5:45 pm

Remember Paul Kensie’s girlfriend was black…so I guess Naturi isn’t the first black person to not be a maid or elevator operator. Regardless, I’m still excited to see her on screen.

Don Drapers getting a hooker?

Lilakoi Moon @ 09/22/2010 at 5:50 pm

I can’t believe that in 2010, there are still such things as “first African American who isn’t serving in a domestic capacity”. I personally don’t see this as a honor, it outrages me.

@Lilakoi Moon:

This is Mad Men. I’m black too and I can understand where and at what time this show takes place.

The brilliant thing about Mad Men is that they show an accurate portrayal of the early 60′s without hitting you over the head with the terrible things going on in that period: in the show, we see Joan get raped in her office at work by her own husband AND she ends up marrying him. Women are mistreated. Women get their butts pinched and are asked to get coffee. The black characters are all domestics. The men are cheating and awful. They make anti-Semitic comments and the Gay character was mistreated as well. This was 1965. The reason the show is great is because it shows us exactly how awful the times were. They can’t have an openly Gay character like flauting his sexuality because that would not be 1965. It really is a show for people start enough to get the underlying message of social inequality. It is a great portrayal of how screwed up America was back then. …well still is.

@Lilakoi Moon:

Yeah this is 2010 and the show is set in 1960′s. I am black and the post or show is not made to discriminate against blacks, but they just are keeping the show realistic by portraying race relations at that time.
On another note, I absolutely love the show and I am excited to see this character ( I would love to see her get it on with Don).

Lilakoi Moon @ 09/22/2010 at 6:08 pm

@Kellie: Oooooh sorry but I have never watched this. @gee gee: Okay, now calm the heck, I never watched it! But I don’t feel like watching it anyway.

@Ms Bar Jolie Gaga: Well said Bar Jolie Gaga, love the name!

lol! Thanks Kellie! Since you are a fan of the show, I am curious, who is your favorite character? I am torn between Don, Joan and Peggy. I am not a big fan of the new blonde in the office – the one who sits in on the meetings. Boring to me.

@Lilakoi Moon:
is your name from the Me’chele N’D(cant spell the rest) song?

@WOW!:

you should give it a try. it’s a bold statement to say that this show, which only started three years ago, is the source for any of america’s racism. it’s accurate to show that 40+ years ago that the opportunities available for black people weren’t the same as they are today. and they make reference towards black civil rights leaders and athletes in the news, so it’s not like they’ve ignored the importance of african-american leaders and celebrities. in fact, the last episode showed elisabeth moss’ character peggy olsen asking her co-workers why they are doing business with a company that won’t hire black workers and she asked that they get harry belafonte to perform the jingle. the pete campbell character tried to get an electronics company to recognize that their product is selling high in predominantly black areas and they should make that the focus of their advertising dollars.

besides which, it’s not as if the characters are doing a song and dance for the white characters on the show. actually, they’re the ones that are the most sensible and logical because the white characters are extremely flawed. carla, the draper’s nanny/maid, is pretty much the only one looking out for the children, and she knows what’s up when don’s way too drunk to drive her home and when betty was seeing henry francis behind don’s back. and any time any one make some sort of racist comment that may have been acceptable back then it just highlights the ignorance of the character.

Good post Allison! Also remember the episode where the story centered around the Muhammad Ali fight? Very often, they take part of history and have these really flawed characters’ lives unfold around it. It is a really smart show. Again, it’s like there is always an elephant in the room. Everyone knows Vietnam is coming and everyone knows racial injustice is there. You are just not hit over the head with it. Actually, I am surprised such a smart show does so well here. I mean it is really sophisticated. Love the show. And John Hamm is just the hottest man on TV!

Radiohead @ 09/22/2010 at 6:34 pm

Well it’s a major upgrade from that godawful Fame, that’s for sure.

@Ms Bar Jolie Gaga:

i love mad men. it’s the only show i watch live. i only got into it last year because i was bored and saw season 1 and 2 were avaiable for free on demand and decided to give it a try. it’s disappointing to me when i try to talk about it with my friends but they all say it’s boring. i mean, maybe i find it more interesting because i was a social psychology major with a concentration in race relations and gender in society, so watching shows that deal with that is my crack. i feel like my generation (i’m 22) and younger where if crap doesn’t happen in every episode (someone dies, gets their butt kicked, sex scandal, etc) they immediately dismiss it. i feel like that’s how a lot of shows burn out quickly because they have to live up to the hype and immediately try to top themselves. as pretentious as matthew weiner seems in interviews and in awards shows i respect that he doesn’t serve to the audience or critics. i think it’s a very character driven show and if you don’t invest time in it you’re going to be like, “who the eff is **** whitman? what’s so significant about the box in the drawer? i don’t get it.”

you should read alan sepinwall’s blog at hitfix…it does a pretty good assessment of each episode the day after.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All