Leonardo DiCaprio To Play Jay Gatsby?

Leonardo DiCaprio To Play Jay Gatsby?

Leonardo DiCaprio is rumored to be up for the lead in the big screen adaptation of The Great Gatsby.

The 35-year-old Inception star would play Jay Gatsby from the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel about life during the roaring 20s, Production Weekly reports on its Twitter page.

Amanda Seyfried has reportedly been considered for the role of Daisy Buchanan, while Tobey Maguire would play Nick Carraway.

Australian director Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet) is deciding whether to work on the period piece or direct a different project.

“I’ve got the script for both of them and I’m making that decision in four to six weeks, no longer than six weeks,” he recently told MTV News.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby?

Credit: Bryan Bedder, Frederick M. Brown, Alberto E. Rodriguez; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Amanda Seyfried, Baz Luhrmann, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire

Getty

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 711 » Show All
CanadaGirl @ 10/04/2010 at 9:26 pm

Darn, and I was having so much fun on the other thread.
This info was posted a few days ago. :)
Do we need another Gatsby? Redford will be hard to beat.

CanadaGirl @ 10/04/2010 at 9:31 pm

That being said, if anyone can outdo Robert Redford’ Gatsby it would be Leo.

I think that DiCaprio is a very talented actor, but don’t see him as Gatsby

11th Hour @ 10/04/2010 at 9:36 pm

Leo is really keeping himself busy these days. Red Riding Hood is wrapping up in Vancouver and he supposedly has another producer credit it the works. I wonder when Hoover will start?
Supposedly Baz wants or wanted to make this Gatsby a musical. Or so I read on the weekend. Haha. That would be interesting. I wonder if Leo can sing?

@CanadaGirl: I absolutely agree. The Great Gatsby is my favorite book ever so I would love to see another version of it, especially if it has Leo in it. He’s a fantastic actor.

11th Hour @ 10/04/2010 at 9:41 pm

@N: Have you seen this version?

it should be a crime for the Hollywood of today to re-do anything

ck_always @ 10/04/2010 at 9:48 pm

He does not look like a Jay Gatsby to me. No thanks.

I guess the movie the Titanic will be re-released in 3D to correspond with the 100 year anniversary of the ship’s sinking. I would like to see Titanic again in the the theatres because I haven’t seen it since it came out!

Twitter haha @ 10/04/2010 at 9:59 pm

the007way‎: Just became a Prius owner like Leonardo DiCaprio. Now I can date super models. Wait– are male models of the “super” variety?
****************
tee-hee

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 9:59 pm

Canada- you are so right! I know Fitzgerald and that era of American lit well- he should totally do it and based on performance in inception -he will totally overtake Redford as the best gatsby- that might finally get him his overdue Oscar. And there’s my boy tobe! Perfectamundo on all points. See things are turning up for him movie wise. Like we really had to worry.

This is not the best picture of him- he looks like an insuance executive. Also like he forgot his contacts. like a dilf! seyfried totally lucked out to get with this crew. They must like her.

I love you leo! I am sorry for all the rotten things I say about bar fatelli-
It’s just I love you for what you are- American icon!

you perfect except for one area- women. Oh well but I looovvve the gatsby idea!

Nice casting choice! Hope this project will turn out to be a GO!

seriously can the people have a vote. this is absurd and very disrespectful for Hollywood to re do great movies. just like that. whats next breakfast at Tiffany’s with Megan fox.

Leo is still a hottie. He has the nicest blue eyes. Interesting that he’s attached to Amanda Seyfried on another project. She’s in the Red Riding Hood with Lukas Haas, right? Hmmm…..

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 10:06 pm

Wow thread filling up fast. If all caps shows up I am throwing my iPod out the window however.

LOVE YOU LEO

But not in the obsessed stalker way. In the bored over educated horny
bibliophile way. I’ll take care of the horny part with bf in the next room playing games on the net with his boys, but the other parts you can do for me. Really.

Thanks.

LOVE YOU TOBE AS WELL

I have since cider house and seabiscuit. real pollard’s daughter is friend of my moms. Adorable in spidey too!

Have Leo and Tobey been in a picture together? Leo must be an amazing person to have had his friends for such a long time. He seems to do a lot of good things with and for his friends, and I’m sure they reciprocate also.

@Tinkerbell: I think his buddy Tobey is hot. He’s got the bedroom eyes and a long lean physique. NICE!

Girlfriends? @ 10/04/2010 at 10:08 pm

@Tinkerbell: Do you not like Bar? A lot of people seem to dislike her. What’s so unpleasant about her that causes such dislike?

I can’t see anyone portraying Gatsby better than Robert Redford did in the 1974 movie. That was a great cast with Sam Waterson as Nick, Mia Farrow as Daisy, and Bruce Dern as Tom Buchanan. However, the newer generation of movie goers would probably not have seen the one with Redford, and wouldn’t be making comparisons.

I love Redford, but I didn’t think he or any of the leads were all that great, and the movie itself was weak. It could have been so much better considering the source material and the actors involved. I think it deserves a remake, and Luhrman always has interesting ideas and great visuals.

He doesn’t want to do it as a musical, btw. That’s another movie he’s thinking of working on next. Apparently he hasn’t decided yet on which one he wants to do next.

I like the idea of Leo and Tobey working together, and I think they could pull it off. Not sure who should play Daisy. I don’t think Amanda Seyfried is up to it, based on what I’ve seen her in already.

@Girlfriends?:

This post is about Leo. Thanks.

For some reason I think Leo would be perfect as Gatsby. And Seyfried is ditzy enough to play the very oblivious Daisy.

“Don’t believe everything you hear, especially from the people you are closest to…..Make changes that help you eliminate the stressful situations you are facing.” (Canoe)
BE CAUTIOUS LEO. THAT DOESN’T SOUND GOOD! EVALUATE YOUR LIFE. BE HAPPY. :)

I also loved the Redford/Farrow version of “The Great Gatsby” – when my daughter had to read it in High School a couple years back I promised to let her see the movie afterwards. She loved this version. I think because it is set in a different decade that it is ageless.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 711 » Show All