Leonardo DiCaprio To Play Jay Gatsby?

Leonardo DiCaprio To Play Jay Gatsby?

Leonardo DiCaprio is rumored to be up for the lead in the big screen adaptation of The Great Gatsby.

The 35-year-old Inception star would play Jay Gatsby from the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel about life during the roaring 20s, Production Weekly reports on its Twitter page.

Amanda Seyfried has reportedly been considered for the role of Daisy Buchanan, while Tobey Maguire would play Nick Carraway.

Australian director Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet) is deciding whether to work on the period piece or direct a different project.

“I’ve got the script for both of them and I’m making that decision in four to six weeks, no longer than six weeks,” he recently told MTV News.

WHAT DO YOU THINK of Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby?

Credit: Bryan Bedder, Frederick M. Brown, Alberto E. Rodriguez; Photos: Getty
Posted to: Amanda Seyfried, Baz Luhrmann, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire

• Who is Fun. frontman Nate Ruess dating?- US Weekly
  • Ray J is being charged with 10 crimes- TMZ
  • The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman addresses pregnancy rumors- Gossip Cop
  • Louie has been renewed for one more season- Entertainment Weekly
  • Miley Cyrus is the latest victim of an internet death hoax- Huffington Post
  • Read a recap for the latest episode of Masters of Sex- Lainey Gossip
  • Genevieve Morton shows off her sexy bikini body- Hollywood Tuna

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 711 » Show All

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books. You know, I could see Leo playing Gatsby. Although I can tolerate lit remakes better than straight film remakes.

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 10:15 pm

MAJOR THUMBS UP JOAQUIN PHOENIX
MAJOR THUMBS UP GREAT GATSBY
MAJOR THUMBS UP DI CAPRIO
MAJOR THUMBS UP
TOBEY MAGUIRE

I know they use this site to test the waters- marketing wise- and so far so awesome.

Now just get another a fricking girlfriend who is not a social disgrace. grrrr, arghhh. Yucky! We call her barf because her in that yellow cavalli dress made me nauseous.

I dunno… I think he’d be good as Gatsby. It’s been like awhile since I’ve read the book but I remember that the main character was sort of sophisticated so Leo fits that… If he’s in it then they’ll make a good movie.

YES YES YES. He is the Actor right now. That movie needs to be remade (but still kept in the same era) because of Mia Farrow. Dam she was miscast in that movie. She ruined it..

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 10:23 pm

@11th Hour: @Girlfriends?: in deference to other posters- just read any thread on bar – the last one on the cavalli party will do. Otherwise agreed this is a PURE Leo thread

AND IT’S BEAUTIFUL!

Need-more-Leo-threads
Rule-out-ugly- nonetity threads

More like this less like that please!

I

Leo will be fine, it’s the director I don’t like.

Leo has a lot of fans here. I think many people would like to see him make this movie. I don’t know who I’d put in the lead if it wasn’t him – Michael Pitt… maybe. He’s cute but perhaps too sexual. Ryan Gosling might be good too. I really like him. BUT I’D SEE IT IN THE THEATRES WITH LEO THO. :)
I still can’t believe how good Inception was. I’ve asked for it for Christmas so hopefully its on dvd by then.

“Inception” from Warner’s pushed its foreign gross total past the $500-million mark (cume is $503.1 million) thanks to a $8 million weekend at 3,940 screens in 55 markets. Director Christopher Nolan’s scifi-thriller starring Leonardo DiCaprio has realized an estimated $54.7 million from the China market alone, said Warner Bros.

The Guy Behind The Guy @ 10/04/2010 at 10:27 pm

Love Leo but he still looks too young to play any manly roles. How about a This Boys Life remake.

@RKsgrl: Imagine how much bank it’s going to make when it hits the stores. Does Leo get a cut of the DVD sales, I wonder? If so, cha-ching. He made huge money this year… $75 mil. I heard. If he gets more of a cut from DVDs then he’s not just Green ecologically!

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 10:31 pm

Trust me I was an English major at Columbia university.

There is nobody better for this role- in the history of filming. I know my Fitzgerald, Hemingway. Algren, Anderson, dos passos, inside out. This role was made for Leonardo.

Serieusement!

Leo is hot and masculine. He’s become a really good looking man. The proof is in the GIF.

@Mr Hotty:

Oh lordy, Billy Costigan = hottest Leo ever! Well until Danny Archer. And Dom Cobb is up there too.

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 10:39 pm

Friends of mine were extras inthe original way back when because they shot in Newport ri. I remember seeing it and not being overwhelming.

I think there is a Redford/Dicaprio resemblance. Same color hair, same kind of heart throb- not overly athletic or rippling action hero-just hot. Good actor/hot. Redford hasn’t made movie since 1980s though- too busy with sundance I guess. He should have cameo in this.

Def MAGUIRE and Dicaprio have to work together- this would be great, they need to do many films together .

Pleasant Sea House @ 10/04/2010 at 10:41 pm

Tobey is such a good guy, I’ve liked him on so many films. I like him more in dramatic roles like Seabiscuit and the Cider House Rules. Pleasantville is excellent also. I like the anti-utopian element in that movie. I’d want him to have as much screen time as possible because I’d like to see him opposite Leo and how they’d work with each other.

@Big Money:

I don’t know about a cut of the DVD sales, video game, and all that, but if he gets a cut of the domestic AND foreign before profit gross, he is sitting pretty! It’s so cool that it was allowed to be released in China.

i would rather have kate hudson as daisy.

Tinkerbell @ 10/04/2010 at 10:46 pm

1. Billy costigan- cheekbones, shoulders, ass.
2. Danny archer – nice and thick- chest hair!
3. Teddy Daniels- shower scene!
4. basketball diaries- still a boy but sooooooo beautiful!

Never liked jack Dawson- story hurt my teeth. Like him hard bitten and rough around the edges.

But

5. Jay gatsby, sophisticated, suave, in a tux with the valentine slick back— could just take it alll!!!! N n

Don's Plum @ 10/04/2010 at 10:47 pm

I IMDBd Leo and he was in Don’s Plum with Tobey and Kevin. That’s one of the few I haven’t seen. Anyone see it? Is it good?
A little clip….

Leo is a GREAT casting choice for this. Yes. Great Gatsby.

@RKsgrl:

Hmm not sure why the moderation… let’s try that again

I think I’d have to say:
1) Billy Costigan – Everything. Hot… damn
2) Danny Archer – the abs… O.O
3) Amsterdam Vallon – I like my men with a little meat on their … bones

Those are great pictures. The first one is so cute cause Leo looks humble like he’s saying, “Aww shucks so nice to see you.” Leo respects actors he works with but he respects those that have come before him too. He said that in an interview when he was asked about films he’s seen before he started in the business. He bought a movie statue too. I think it was from the Maltese Falcon or something like that. Not sure where it’ll go. He bought it with other people so I wonder if they’ll donate it to a museum or something.

Goodnight Sweetheart @ 10/04/2010 at 11:02 pm

What a great way to end the day. A post about LEO! YUM!!!! Now off to sleep and hopefully good dreams.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 711 » Show All