Zachary Quinto to Bullied Teens: Life Is Worth Living

Zachary Quinto to Bullied Teens: Life Is Worth Living

Zachary Quinto is the latest star to take a stand against anti-gay bullying.

The 33-year-old actor’s message to teens who are being bullied: “It gets better.”

“There is help to be found. There are places to turn to. There are people who will listen,” he says, adding that The Trevor Project is a good resource for help.

“Start there. Start anywhere,” says Zach. “But start believing that life is worth living and you will find your way.”

Zachary Quinto’s Message to Bullied Teens

Kim Kardashian/Instagram

Jack Easton @ 10/07/2010 at 12:13 pm

He should be ashamed of himself, we don’t need to be preached at and the public doesn’t need anyone preaching down their throats. Celebrities stop giving sermons in videos every week.
This is a time for serious people, Zachary, and your fifteen minutes are up.

Gays, Lesbians and Transgender kids aren’t the only people getting bullied. People of any sexual orientation and gender are being bullied. Why only speak about one group? They are not the only ones being bullied.

what about the rest of us that get bullied everyday…do we not count?

@Cindy: @Shellbee: @Jack Easton: Are you serious? are you seriously gonna bash celebrities because they’re trying to help gay teens around the world? Gay kids are the ones committing suicide right now in our faces. Regular kids get bullied, of course they do, but they don’t have to get through the sh*t that gays do. SHAME ON YOU. You don’t have ANY idea how is to be gay and a teen at the same time and people yelling at you only because you exist.

The world is full of cr*p, like you.

Seriously get over it! Gays aren’t the only ones being bullied. So sick of hearing about it all the time.

And Zack, I love you., and not just for doing this. Keep telling 50cent to stop the hate against gays.

ppfffff this becoming a circus.

@Dan: alot of people have it worse off than the gays do. Just live a day as a Black person or Latino in the world. They’re bullied by everyone all the time. Many of us are bullied in life for the dumbest reasons or no reason at all.
This country was built on hate and pushing others around.

SO GAYS JUST FOR YOU EH @ 10/07/2010 at 1:03 pm

ONLY THE GAYS IN SCHOOL RIGHT.. NOT THE KIDS THAT ARE
BULLIED IN PUBLIC SCHOOL AGES FROM 4 10..THEY GET
BULLIED AND THE last thiing they want to do is just talk abouit..
SO celebrities keep it up.. man JUST TALK DOES NOT WORK..
ACTION DOES..The schools turn a blind eye to bullying …but
JUST FOR THE GAYS RIGHT..IT should be for all straight and gay
people.. Kids are being bullied in school and WHO DO YOU WANT
THEM TO “TALK TO” eh..and say what ..?? tell us..please just
tallk does not work..

JUST TALKING DOES NOT WORK @ 10/07/2010 at 1:05 pm

Same with wife abuse ….JUST TALK ABOUT IT … TALK TO SOMEONE
That is all you have to do.. RIGHT OKASANA NOT THE MEDIA…

OPEN CASE…SHUT …IF YOU ONLY TALKED ABOUT IT …

Great ZQuinto!
It’s hard to understand why some people choose to hate!

Ironic seeing as he’s in the closet. Disappointed, tbh. I was kinda expecting him to come out at the end of the vid.

This is so Nice of him to do . Love Zach .

what a bunch of haters … “gay kids aren’t the only ones being bullied” … really? sorry … didn’t realize it’s ok to torment them because they’re gay …. being gay/yourself in school is a social death sentence … it gives you a 100% chance of being bullied …

if you see someone being bullied and you don’t do anything you are a coward and you might as well be doing the bullying.

bullies would be in trouble if their victims all got together to stand up to them.

all these gay teens that are committing suicide are turning the gun on the wrong person.

The bullying from piers, the parents, and the church need to stop.

I think it sometimes takes celebs to get the ball rolling on changing things. politicians aren’t going to do it, the schools aren’t doing their part. Something has to stop this cycle.

I applaud people like Zach for putting their voice to the problem.

Ellen D has been talking about this on her show and has broadened it to include any kids who have been bullied. She asked her guests to talk about their bullying experiences. I think it all has to start with talking about it and then taking action. this has to stop. NO ONE (gay, straight whatever) should be harassed.

@Dan:
I like your post. I agree with you that gay teens do get more grief than non gay teens. I really hope that it will end soon. it’s awful and unacceptable. something needs to be done and needs to be done NOW!

Hey Ozzie ... @ 10/07/2010 at 2:22 pm

Hey Ozzie what do you mean ‘ IT’S OK TO TORMENT GAYS..’ When
people are saying that gays or straight people get bullied.. and you should be pleased that the cover of People Magazine has a big picture of the guy that commited suicide..And publicly announcing that it is time to do something about it.. Well Why not start Where is his family.
Fed up with seeing it ever night..

wonderette @ 10/07/2010 at 2:54 pm

If you took the time to actually listen to what he was saying, you’d realize that he’s delivering a universal message of hope. i know plenty of straight people who have cried watching this. He delivers it with sincerity and raw emotion. You can tell this is a cause he’s very passionate about. I’m sick (almost literally) of people trying to discount his message because he hasn’t announced his sexuality to the world. It doesn’t matter. There are a number of straight celebrities who support this cause as well. Is there message any less important? I still think he’s a strong role model. Had he come out in this video it would have detracted from the real issue here. Could it have reinforced his message? Yes, but there’s a time and a place. Now would probably be a good time societally for him to do so, but it might not be right for him, and that’s all that matters, what’s right for him.

Why does he have to share his private life with the entire world? I don’t understand how people can say he’s closeted. He’s never denied anything. I’m sure that the people that matter to him know. He has always been avid supporter and activist in the LGBT community. He doesn’t need to prove anything to you. There are at least two other famous gay men who are in serious relationships and don’t attempt to hide it that haven’t done anything like this. This man is trying to help as much as he can, by bringing attention to the Trevor Project where teens can also see videos of their peers telling their stories.

It makes me so angry that people are choosing to take issue with his sexuality instead of actually listening to what this man is saying and that’s pretty discriminatory. He is an amazingly talented, sincere, and wonderful man and I am very thankful for all of his efforts at making the world a better place.

Francesco @ 10/07/2010 at 3:37 pm

well said wonderette!

So now whenever i get on here i have to see celeb’s doing anti bullying ad’s. Yesh they are drive it into the ground at this rate celeb’s can’t always help. I know bully’s won’t listen to a couple of douchebag’s on the internet saying stop. Its a vein thing

wonderette @ 10/07/2010 at 3:51 pm

@really: This project isn’t aimed at the root of the problem, the mindset behind the bully itself because you’re right, they aren’t going to listen to some celebrity telling them to stop. These videos are for the victims. Celebrities are able to help spread word about the project and when a troubled teen goes to check it out there are hundreds of videos from their peers, people who are currently going through the same struggles. The entire point is to give people hope that one day they will find their place in the world.

gurlsarentlikeus @ 10/07/2010 at 3:57 pm

@Jack Easton:

Homophobic nonsense contimues on JJ.com Typical.

@Darren:

Yeah right, keep dreaming honey..

Iffy Miffy @ 10/07/2010 at 3:58 pm

The only message that actually seems real in all of these … thank you Zach! Love this guy! You can tell he means every words he’s saying.

@wonderette: Hmmm intresting i stabbed my bully’s with a pen but i guess not everyone takes the violent route. But i guess not all the kids that are bullied are like that so i understand. Im just saying this will make things worse for kids who are being bullied.

@gurlsarentlikeus: Hey please stop it with the name calling homophobic lol the word means nothing when its used like that. Yesh just because someone doesn’t think the same way as you doesn’t make them homophobic.

gurlsarentlikeus @ 10/07/2010 at 4:09 pm

@really:

Oh please…this entire thread reeks of it.

Asking ZQ to come out, or that he shouldn’t have done this video because he isn’t out yet. Yeah that’s just so not homophobic. Whatever.

BLAH BLAH @ 10/07/2010 at 5:14 pm

@gurlsarentlikeus: Just please stop using that im against homosexual lifestyle does it make me homophobic. I think not but hey maybe im not as tolerant as you think i should be.

Why is the guy who played a bullying super hero serial killer talking about bullying?

gurlsarentlikeus @ 10/07/2010 at 5:28 pm

@BLAH BLAH:

You are a ignorant asshat.

It’s pretty funny when a closeted man tells you it gets better.
Kids are KILLING themselves because they can’t go on and some guy in a glass closet is telling you he knows how you feel ??????? How the F can he know how us gays feel when this gown man ain’t even Out himself!!!!! The message still stands, but Quinto reeks of irony.

JARED, YOU NEED TO POST TIM GUNN’S VIDEO. THE MOST EFFECTIVE, INFORMATIVE & GENUINE ONE.
PLEAS POST IT, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE…

This is from a comment on another (gay) blog:

You know what would TRULY “make the world a better place”? If ppl like ZQ would come out of the closet instead of hiding behind the role of “ambiguously straight gay activist”. Real damage is done by ppl like him, whose endless closetedness sends the WORST possible message to gay, vunerable teens. That- despite an ABUNDANCE of money, fame, success, opportunity, and- yes- priviledge- living a life of openess and honesty will never be possible.
Your gay community has no use for you, hypocrite.

Huh. Tough crowd, those gay activists. Kinda mean…I thought the kum-bye-yas were supposed to be kinder, gentler, more compassionate, more accepting, more evolved. Guess not.

Maybe ZQ isn’t THEIR KIND of gay.

And homophobic means “fear of…gay people”.
I know of NO ONE who is “afraid” of gay ppl.
Please find another more appropriate yet equally hateful word to call others. The dictionary is a helpful tool.

BLAH BLAH @ 10/07/2010 at 7:05 pm

@gurlsarentlikeus: Not really just a common sensed one lol actually calling someone homophobic is funny. Its like being a racist or something like that its just someone who disagree’s. If all you can do is call me names you have no argument or can’t make one.

And to the youngsters:
Yep, it can be rough out there. There IS life after middle/high school. You’ll find cool, nice, friendly people with whom you will TRULY connect.
You need patience. The morons exist, but it’s temporary. Don’t believe that fourteen, fifteen, sixteen is the best time of your life. Today is- and tomorrow WILL BE. Trust those who’ve walked the walk. And get yourself a REAL life, not a cyber one. Get a hobby. Write a book/song. Invent something. Laugh a lot. Go out and play.

We don’t need to be celebs to lend support to those in need.
You could not PAY me to go back to age 15- and I was NOT picked on.
Be good, be well, discover your interests, have fun, study/work hard. I wish I could tell you of the success stories of the “bullied” kids I’ve known. They got through it, learned a lot, and came out smiling.
You will, too.

I really don’t understand why EVERY.SINGLE.POST. on this guy spirals into the Is He/Isn’t He debate. Until he comes out and says “Yes I am”, no one knows his sexualtiy. For all anyone knows he may not like men or women. He might be into f***king plants or fishsticks. No one knows what anyone does in the privacy of thier home. If he is gay, why does he have to “come out”? Isn’t living your life “coming out” enough? I can’t wait for Halle Berry’s “Yes I’m straight cover” Until I see that, that b*tch is “in the closet”!

I think that all people being bullied should be stood up for not just one group. I know what it feels like to be bullied so bad that i became a shut in during my highschool years and thought many times of killing myself. When i went for help all i got told was that i was overly sensitive. and fyi no i am not gay but life is hard for every child that get bullies how do u think those children feel when NO one stands up for them because oh there straight life must be super easy. I stand up for all gay rights and believe that they should be equal in every part of life so dont peg me as a gay basher!!! I am just tired of no one careing about bullying as a whole and only standing up for one group that is being bullied.

I can’t imagine why so many are saying that 1) this is only for gay kids and 2) no one cares about non-gay kids. Most of these videos don’t even mention sexual orientation – they apply to everyone. And I seem to recall a massive scandal earlier this year when a young, straight girl killed herself after ongoing bullying. It was on the cover of People magazine, and 6 of the kids who bullied her to death were charged with crimes ranging from harassment to statutory rape. So don’t give me this “no one cares about the straight kids” nonsense.

Gay children and teenagers are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than their straight peers, and when we look at intersectionality with race and class, it’s even higher. This isn’t new. This has been happening for years, and finally – FINALLY – people are starting to pay attention. And when for once it’s not shoved under the rug, all you can say is “OMG TEH GAIZ GET ALL THE ATTENTIONS!”

Give me a freaking break.

Tig,
Those comments are written b/c he is publically supporting The Trevor Project- which is directed at gay/lesbian teens. It is about suicide prevention/support- for those kids (which is a good thing). It’s not tareged at overweight, socially awkward, shy, “physically unattractive”, physically disabled, poorly dressed…whatever make kids outcasts today. I think ppl are just hmmming at his choice as to who is getting his support (which is fine- his decision).

Interesting that he made this. When he was a kid, a teacher of his reported in an interview that “he could be cruel to kids he didn’t like”.

Hmm. Guess it was OK then to be on the giving end of bullying.

Alot of celebs are doing these types of videos now

until now, who´s zachary quinto: he could be gay.hetero, bissexual… I don´t know but this video is great!!!!

@Chris – Most of the videos are not specific to gay teens – ZQ’s isn’t, for example. I’m not GLBT, but I would have loved to have had access to these videos when I was a kid.

And so what if the project is aimed at gay teens? Ultimately, this is about children who are tortured until they kill themselves, and gay kids and teens are the most at-risk group. You don’t think they need targeted aid? Fine – go volunteer for one of the hundreds of general suicide-prevention groups in the U.S. Children are victimized by homophobic bullying not just by their peers, but by people who ought to form their support system – parents, teachers, churches, frickin’ U.S. senators. Many traditional routes of support and counseling aren’t available to them. So this is geared for them? Excellent.

@Nate:

I am a huge ZQ fan and is message is right on but I agree with you, Nate. Zach is most likely in the closet, which is fine. No one should come out until they are ready. BUT staying in the closet just perpetuates the feelings that being homosexual is shameful.

wonderette @ 10/08/2010 at 10:55 pm

@Chris:
This is from an article in CMU Today:

The acting work with the Mini Stars provides structure and perhaps a welcome distraction for the youngster. When he was 7 years old, his father died of cancer. Quinto says his father’s death caused him to become unusually independent at a young age. It also encouraged his imagination, he thinks. His first acting instructor, Jill Wadsworth, remembers him as more mature than other students, helping around the office, showing up to rehearsal with a bunch of flowers for his widowed mother on her birthday. But she also remembers him as aggressive and somewhat blunt with other students, an impulse she knew he had to channel to be successful in anything. “If he didn’t like you, he could be rough on you,” Wadsworth recalls. “He knows what he wants and goes after it, but he’s developed into an extremely sensitive, open person who is willing to accept people and work with them freely.”

People change, are you really the same person you were when you were 10 or even 20 for that matter?

one more quick thought! Greg grunberg has the “talk about it” campaign and many actors did PSA’s for him. Were they wrong to do it if they don’t have epilepsy?

no one gets mad when people do the talk about it campaign when they haven’t been affected by epilepsy…so what’s the difference

@wonderette:
where’s the link?

HEY! You know what would make a great accompany piece/follow up to this?!
He could star in a short film about a gay man who gets taken hostage by a gun-toting criminal! The crimminal repeatedly curses him out, as he (in a very humorous way, of course) holds the gun to his head THE ENTIRE FILM! They develop a relationship- with that gun locked and loaded at the gay man’s head!- and hilarity ensues. And- here’s the side-splitting ending: the man SHOOTS AND KILLS THE GAY MAN AT THE END!!

OMG- that would be SO, SO FUNNY! A masterpiece of carefully woven humor and irony! Who could not find that hilarious?!

Err..perhaps it’s only funny when the hostage is a WOMAN, though.
If it were a gay man as the “victim”- that would be unfunny, mean, and a hate crime. But a woman- pfffft. It’s art! And funny art!

hahaha this post is one joke!!! how do you know that? he was a girl .

he has a woman constantly. see you other pictures.

@ Heather – Nope, I actually found ALL his Funny or Die stuff surprisingly UNfunny. The matadors, clowns, and priests- waiting, waiting, waiting to laugh. Nothing. Color me stupid, but I’d like my humor to at least make me…chuckle. It all fell flat to me- like it was made by a bunch of 20 year old college boys, sitting around, getting drunk- and they came up with that stuff. Guess I just need something more to my humor. The Hostage stuff completely turned me off. Again, just not funny (to me).

I actually thought his BEST role was Sasan. He *totally* convinced me that he WAS that superficial, snarky, condescending gay BFF. Totally flawless there. And humorous, too.

Don’t know about Sylar. The first season of Heroes, he was a bad guy. Then, of course, the decline began. Not his fault, but I thought they made that character too wishy washy, then he became a full-blown caricature of a villian. Thanks, writers. Way to wreck a series. Maybe he just had little with which to work, but I’m not a fan of comic books, so perhaps it was all just lost on me.

Spock- not a sci-fi, Trekkie, but I’ve been around long enough to appreciate the original Star Trek. To me, Leonard Nimoy IS and forever will embody that character. Sorry. Nice try, ZQ. But LN is the gold standard. Again, only my opinion, but Spock belongs to Mr. Nimoy. He always brought such grace, intelligence and gravity to that character. ZQ seemed like he was playing dress up.
I dunno. My 13 year old nephew -who was unfamiliar with Star Trek- LOVED the movie. To each his own. The movie was OK- but stop with those stupid light flares all over the place, and what was up with all that shaking of the camera?? C’mon.

Waiting to see if Margin Call is any good. I hope so (with that cast!).

Best ZQ role? Don’t think I’ve seen it yet. Maybe that’s good.

@naty:
What? He’s very rarely photographed with woman. When he is they’re either his co-stars, lesbians, or married. The majority of the time he is photographed with men. The man doesn’t beard and he deserves respect for that.

@jp: relly? the new woman in NYC. so how you don´t know that.

@naty:
If you looked at the entire photoset and saw the picture of them kissing, you could tell that it was a friend kiss.

@naty:

@jp:

That means nothing. He’s often photographed with men who are either his co-stars, friends, his brother, his partner’s in his production company etc. It doesn’t mean he’s sleeping with them.

FYI: I have never, ever seen him photographed kissing a guy at an event or holding hands.

@Gail

You are full of crap btw.

@orion:
You’re right, it doesn’t mean he’s sleeping with them…the same goes for the women, just because they’re photographed together doesn’t mean he’s sleeping with them.

yeahright @ 10/28/2010 at 7:04 pm

@Trixie

Oh honey, that is just such a sad attempt. Painting him as some kind of lothario when he’s into the mens. You and @gail have so much in common..haha.

I saw zach with his girlfriend tonight. He is straight

yeahright @ 10/29/2010 at 2:48 am

Laughs…

Pics or it didn’t happen.

I do have a picture I just need to upload it. His girlfriend is thin with curly hair.

once the images come out in the media you wil see his new lover. I’m going to post my picture too. Picture is worth a thousand words

Brilliant Actor Zach we expect no less from you !

There is a world wide epidemic in Gay bullying which is nothing less than despicable & shameful !

We are living with increased intolerance than ever before.
This British “government” have over 150 members of parliament who voted against gay equality, over fifty who voted STRONGLY against gay equality!
The LGBT community are under threat from ultra nationalistic communities that outcast the diverse. Leeds pride festival a young gay man was beaten up!
West Berkshire England a Gay disabled couple in Woolhampton faced unprecedented persecution and driven from their home while the UK police force looked on!

Our hearts and minds are with all victims of this terrible abuse!