Christian Bale Covers 'Esquire' December 2010

Christian Bale Covers 'Esquire' December 2010

Christian Bale is “funny and sometimes testy” in Esquire magazine’s December 2010 cover interview. Check out what the 36-year-old The Fighter actor had to share:

On not wanting to talk about his family or personal life: “Look, I’ve got incredible pride for my family. I’ve absolutely fallen into that cliché of a dad who could just happily talk about my daughter endlessly. But it’s not what I’m about in terms of being an actor. I don’t want people to know about that…I don’t want people to know me….Because that buggers up my job. Because if you know something about somebody, it gets in the way of just watching the guy as the character.”

On an actor he admires: “Chris Farley was just phenomenal. Beverly Hills Ninja will always remain one of my tops. I have watched that movie. One time I sat down and watched it two nights in a row, and cried with laughter both times. The guy just was a phenomenon, and is missed dearly in my household.”

On what he would’ve done if he weren’t an actor: “I think I probably would have tried to experience my own stories in the way my father did — the sort of travel, the randomness of life, educating himself through experiences. I think I get that partially through acting, but you have to make an effort to be in an unprotected environment because everyone thinks you’re a completely incapable idiot who couldn’t possibly brush his teeth without an assistant. You have to make an effort in order to be able to actually experience the country that you’re in.”

For more on Christian‘s cover interview, visit Esquire.com!

Bigger cover pics inside…

christian bale esquire december 2010 01
christian bale esquire december 2010 02

Charley Gallay/Getty

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All
British Latin American @ 11/15/2010 at 10:35 am

Esquire must really be going down. They couldn’t take a better pic of the marvelous Christian Bale?

Chris Farley, really? O.o

this guy has a strong personality and he’s funny to read in this interview and also he’s really good-looking

“I don’t want people to know me….Because that buggers up my job. Because if you know something about somebody, it gets in the way of just watching the guy as the character.”

He’s right.

He has the right attitude as an actor, sad that most Hollywood actors don’t feel that way.

offtheproperty @ 11/15/2010 at 10:56 am

He’s bore and dulling.

@offtheproperty:

I abhor your grammar.

Shirylgirl67 @ 11/15/2010 at 11:08 am

Did everyone forget how he yelled at that poor man on the set?
He should be ashamed of himself. It was really unprofessional.

@offtheproperty:

plz learn some English.

Wonder if his relatives are still mooching off him.

@Shirylgirl67: Ugh! Get over yourself, shirly.

he looks surprisingly great!

Butter_Fly @ 11/15/2010 at 11:47 am

He looks better than this. That facial hair doesn’t look good on him.

Shirylgirl67 @ 11/15/2010 at 11:52 am

@JWald:
You’re right. I’m bummed. I thought everyone would agree. Everyone is giving me the thumbs down. I wrote something unpopular the other day and someone called me hillbilly. Blogging is not for the weak at heart! LMAO

Yeah, Shirly I’m not sure why you supposedly need to “get over yourself ” for having an opinion. Why not just say, “I don’t agree!”
I know what you mean @ Christian’s blowup-I love him and think he’s hot, but have had trouble forgetting the incident, and it downgrades him. Hopefully he has learned and is dealing with his temper issues.

laverdadduele @ 11/15/2010 at 12:49 pm

Finally! A talented actor on the cover of a magazine. A nice change from all the POS we see at the magazine stand.

He’s a terrific actor and obviously a doting father. I don’t need or want to know all the details about his family life, which isn’t any of my business.

We don’t know the full story [and never will] about any shouting matches he was in, and since we all know that gossip outlets will continue to throw them in his face and ours at every opportunity, despite not knowing the whole story and ancient history, I chose to ignore.

Imagine yourself being famous and having some unfortunate incident you’d rather not remember, being brought up constantly, in front of audiences and readers long after the fact? Ouch… unfair, uncool and currently irrelevant.

Such an amazing and versatile actor, and what an entertaining interview! Love em!

Regular Jo @ 11/15/2010 at 2:22 pm

Shirly, I agree w/ you about his shouting at the set staff, he was (and is) a self-important douche. We DO know about it because it was on tape, for crying out loud, and it went on for days, which prompted me to think he has anger (and other) issues. That mentality isn’t conducive to an endearing person and doesn’t make me want to patronize him in any way. I don’t care if I get thumbs down from the fangirlies and boys, I can say what I want to, this isn’t his fansite.

Regular Jo @ 11/15/2010 at 2:24 pm

@wire: Right, that’s why you come on celebrity news sites, huh?

If this article doesn’t make people like him, nothing ever will. One of the realest actors in Hollywood.

FOR ME…..Bale is a real deal and real actor. He’s intense and gives gerat performance everytime. His unconventional background and being raised by his Dad put a strain on his relationship with his Mom..their relationship problems as well the leaking of his rants behind the scenes was a foul move by the press and sneaks.

All actors freak out and ..if the rants were all leaked NO ONE would have work. This unfortunately hurt Bale’s image and box office and was one -sided.

I like his work …that’s all that matters.

better to talk about family @ 11/15/2010 at 3:41 pm

It’s better to talk about your family than to scream at your coworkers.
That screaming tape is a far,far bigger distraction to his acting ability than any story about his family, Inc the ones who called the cops on him

I just don’t get why people are so focused on the rant. This happened over two years ago! He didn’t slap his wife like Mel Gibson, throw a phone at someon’e head like Russell Crowe, break a paparizzi’s camera on someone’s face like Sean Penn, he didn’t call his daughter a greedy little pig like Alec Baldwin or threaten a hooker in a hotel suite across from his children’s room like Charlie Sheen. He broke no laws, he made his apologies humbly and we should just accept it.

All of these celebrities have an ego whether we like it or not. He is not the first to yell at someone on set and he won’t be the last. It certainly won’t stop me from enjoying a good film.

Pages: [1] 2 » Show All